• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: HBO's Last of Us will focus on climate change and rape culture

This is just a preview for things to come on PS5 in terms of 1st-party games.

Remember Horizon's 'men ruined the world' plot? Remember the Uncharted-spinoff featuring two lesbians? Remember the whole marketing angle of TloU2?

At this point I'd be scared for the God of War-franchise. Kratos being reborn as Krata? The Sony-funded Silent Hill an introspective into a 'survivor's' mind and justifying cancel culture?

I can already envision it: Sony announces a big remaster campaign for all their classics and 'promises' to change every protagonist into a woman and change anything that's 'problematic'. The campaign's slogan being: "PlayStation - For the Women"

Yoboman

How do you play the Last of Us which is about a positive non sexual relationship between a male and female and get to "all white men bad"?

Can't wait for the autistic screeching sjw cunt retarded crowd to start saying "TLOU on HBO is transphobic, doesn't understand Rape culture and homophobic" because X, Y or Z is incorrectly portrayed according to them like everything else is.

Or better yet Ellie doesn't look lesbo enough and that there are too many straight white men in the show.

Remember Horizon's 'men ruined the world' plot? Remember the Uncharted-spinoff featuring two lesbians? Remember the whole marketing angle of TloU2?

Overcooked pandering does exist in gaming but these three examples just don’t bother me. Maybe I’m part of the problem. As a man, I didn’t feel “attacked” or “threatened,” by HZD or UC:LL. I liked the TLOU2 E3 movie/video.

also, I have a really hard time believing they will legit fuck around with Kratos

Is there a social-politics agenda going on? Probably. But I don’t think it’s really THAT thick or THAT sinister. More of just something I can occasionally eye-roll but still generally consume and be entertained by.

again, maybe I’m wrong. I just don’t feel slapped in the face by a woke stick every time I’m gaming

Teslerum

How do you play the Last of Us which is about a positive non sexual relationship between a male and female and get to "all white men bad"?

They probably played the DLC as well. Woke Naughty Dog more or less started with Left Behind.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Climate change doesn't seem likely to me, I mean objectively TLOU is pretty much a contemporary story so the collapse of civilization seems likely to help, rather than hurt the climate surely? LOL

As to "Rape Culture"... the whole notion is irrelevant within a society that has essentially been broken down to a lawless state! I mean its like looking at the natural world in all its "tooth and claw" Darwinism and decrying it as a rape culture because those unable to defend themselves will inevitably be preyed upon by the strong!

Sorry, seems like FUD to me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who knew a future world infested with disease, scarce food and water, missing family members, demolished homes and zombies roaming around town, the biggest concern are global temperatures rising 0.5 celcius and hoping they don't get raped by random dudes.

I get it Sony. All men are evil.

Last edited:

LordKasual

Banned
You damn fools. Final Fantasy 7 was an allegory for Climate Change

the SJWs had infiltrated gaming all the way back in 97'. You're too late.

You're all in the eye of the Woken Hurricane now and there's no escape. Either move with it or be destroyed!

You should all just end it now. It's all down(up?)hill from here

Last edited:

jeffyjaixx

It's gonna be shit because you can't get a good casting for Joel and Ellie.
Period.

Make a spin-off with new characters.

Hugh Jackman as Joel

uKRY05N1iJ2iDdPCV2iobwA6wRkY6B8741p3ZCDa4bY.jpg

Ellen Paige as Ellie

hqdefault.jpg

or Zoey Deutch

Before-I-Fall-movie-images-zoey-deutch-halston-sage-12.png

cormack12

Gold Member
To be honest, when I played the game and wished for a series spinoff, I hoped it would cover climate change and rape culture. Although with the lack of women hunters in the TLoU I can only assume they were 'at home with the kids'.

Even Mad Max and Book of Eli pretty much covered what the world was like with what, two scenes?

Why cant we just have a series that doesnt blow smoke up its own arse about all the political issues it will address?Previously, the acclaim and themes were discovered after viewing through the skill of cinematography and metaphors. Now we need to be told 'dis gun be gud'.

Will be the Citizen Kane of HBO.

Xenon

I'm curious as to which planet the people say this is does not seem believable live on. These "progressive" themes have infected pretty much every aspect of media. So yeah I wouldn't take a bet against it.

Sadly some of the best shows out there have touched on these issues and it can be done very well. But now they almost break the 4th wall with flat out lecturing the audience.

Cactuarman

Banned
You guys really believe this trash article? Are you not smart enough to see through it?

Whenever there is an excuse to rail against the SJW agenda it doesn't matter what the quality of the article or outlet is.

I'm going to wait a few days and then post this one: The Last of Us 2 villains are reportedly homophobic Christians

And then this one: Troy Baker hints Joel has a dark past & possibly hurt women/girls in TLoU

SausageRoll is on fire this month with sensational TLoU articles.

LordKasual

Banned
You guys really believe this trash article? Are you not smart enough to see through it?

Rumor: Halo Infinite will reportedly examine the effects of violence on mental health

"fucking sjw woke bullshit they ruined master chief, he's the best soldier he doesn't HAVE mental issues can't we just play videogames ffs"

Rumor: Final Fantasy 7 Remake will feature prominent LGBTQ character, strong female leads, preaches environment conservation

"for fucks sake does EVERYTHING have to be political now? Dumb woke libtards ruined FF, didn't have this shit in 1997, trash wont buy"

Rumor: Men rape women in this game, game comments on rape being bad, also greedy humans destroyed the world

"OKAY WE GET IT, white men are bad and we should hate ourselves, i'll cut my dick off tomorrow. Can i just get one grimdark game without it trying to push an agenda??? Fuckin shit writers"

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Whenever there is an excuse to rail against the SJW agenda it doesn't matter what the quality of the article or outlet is.

I'm going to wait a few days and then post this one: The Last of Us 2 villains are reportedly homophobic Christians

And then this one: Troy Baker hints Joel has a dark past & possibly hurt women/girls in TLoU

SausageRoll is on fire this month with sensational TLoU articles.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing the "pattern" here. For a second I felt like I was the only one hearing the dog whistles.

Could it be true? Sure. But it seems like an article trying to score outrage points. I've only got so much outrage I can use each week, so I have to keep supplies fully stocked.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
And i'm glad i'm not the only one seeing it either, shit like this really makes me wonder sometimes. All the crying people do about insane circlejerks on ERA, then you come to GAF and click a link like this

And then they respond in anger to an article like this and get mad at ND before even one screenshot of the TV show is shown. The actors haven't even been selected yet lol.

Cactuarman

Banned
Rumor: Halo Infinite will reportedly examine the effects of violence on mental health

"fucking sjw woke bullshit they ruined master chief, he's the best soldier he doesn't HAVE mental issues can't we just play videogames ffs"

Rumor: Final Fantasy 7 Remake will feature prominent LGBTQ character, strong female leads, preaches environment conservation

"for fucks sake does EVERYTHING have to be political now? Dumb woke libtards ruined FF, didn't have this shit in 1997, trash wont buy"

Rumor: Men rape women in this game, game comments on rape being bad, also greedy humans destroyed the world

"OKAY WE GET IT, white men are bad and we should hate ourselves, i'll cut my dick off tomorrow. Can i just get one grimdark game without it trying to push an agenda??? Fuckin shit writers"

"Censorship is bad! Developers should be free to create whatever they want (but also Neil Cuckmann is terrible and Ellie is ugly and also remember how politics in art didn't exist back in [nonexistent period of time]?)"

Collin

Banned
I think this is bullshit! Doubt it’s true.

While elements of climate change, toxic masculinity and sexual assualt were in the subtext of Last of Us in small ways, to make that the “focus” would be a bizarre shift in direction in what that games actually trying to say.

Ellie’s a great character that rarely calls direct attention to the fact that she’s a strong, independent female character with agency. (Unlike how something like Captain Marvel, which makes a big deal of it.) I think organically having female characters like that in media is the true way to progress toward true equality. I think Neil understands this and wouldn’t suddenly make progressive politics the main theme of the show.

Last edited:

plushyp

And i'm glad i'm not the only one seeing it either, shit like this really makes me wonder sometimes. All the crying people do about insane circlejerks on ERA, then you come to GAF and click a link like this
Where's the circlejerk here though? All I'm seeing is a wide variety of opinions in this thread and no one is getting banned for them either.

Cleared_Hot

It would be really daring if the show focused on surviving in a post apocalyptic world ravaged by a horrible infectious fungus that turns people into virtual zombies. I mean, am i out of line here?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Don't kid yourself that this sort of controversy baiting is any different to "progressive" outlets fishing for outrage clicks. Its just the conservative equivalent, and just as worthless.

Grinchy

Banned
Everyone keeps saying Ellen Page. Do you know what she looks like now? She's got the climate change and rape culture mind virus part down, but she doesn't have the look

Eiknarf

According to an insider, HBO's upcoming Last of Us series will adress political issues like the climate change, problematic white men and rape culture.

wR2pLwd.jpg

Ellie would be the protagonist in a heavily female focused plot while men will mostly play antagonists.

j9cJH2x.png

Credibility-wise: Ofcourse no official statement is made but in this day and age everything is in danger to be politicized to a certain extent.

What do you think gaffers and most importantly, do you think the game itself will be used as a tool for a political message?

Link: http://archive.is/BI2Bi

Is that Keanu Reeves of Shia LaBeouf in the picture?

x6k5uZO.jpg

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Ellen Page 15+ years ago maybe.

Ellie's 14 in TLOU, Ellen Page is 33
Yeah I played the entire game last year for the first time and assumed it was Ellen Page the entire time

It was only after I completed the game that I found out it wasn’t Ellen Page’s voice OR likeness.

How did naughty dog not get sued? I literally thought it was the actress from “Juno”, “Hard Candy” and “Inception” - when I play it now I still think it is

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Everyone keeps saying Ellen Page. Do you know what she looks like now? She's got the climate change and rape culture mind virus part down, but she doesn't have the look

Never knew Ellen Page was 33. LoU gamers have been gabbing about her for years. I assumed she was a teenager in real life back when the first game game out. Turns out she was about 27 when LoU 1 released.

As for her looks, meh. She's got a receding hairline similar to my day when he was 50.

Shmunter

Yeah I played the entire game last year for the first time and assumed it was Ellen Page the entire time

It was only after I completed the game that I found out it wasn’t Ellen Page’s voice OR likeness.

How did naughty dog not get sued? I literally thought it was the actress from “Juno”, “Hard Candy” and “Inception” - when I play it now I still think it is
Naughty Dog has been plagiarising likeness like nobody’s business. Even had Helen Miren in Uncharted 3 till they got pinged.

Eiknarf

33. People really need to stop saying Ellen Paige and actually play the game. They'll quickly understand why it's a really stupid suggestion to bring up any actress over the age of 16.

Well, it’s not wrong to think it was originally Ellen Page when it came out. Even if the character in the game was 15 and Ellen Page was 26 when the game came out

I actually thought the character was Ellen Page for six months-

I never assumed they were using Ellen Page’s 26-year-old likeness. I assumed they were using her likeness from the older movies like Hard Candy and Juno.

Not to mention the character spoke the same way, had the same voice, almost identical name, and was a lesbian. How much more similar can you get?!

Geki-D

Banned
Well, it’s not wrong to think it was originally Ellen Page when it came out. Even if the character in the game was 15 and Ellen Page was 26 when the game came out

I actually thought the character was Ellen Page for six months-

I never assumed they were using Ellen Page’s 26-year-old likeness. I assumed they were using her likeness from the older movies like Hard Candy and Juno.

Not to mention the character spoke the same way, had the same voice, almost identical name, and was a lesbian. How much more similar can you get?!
That's pretty irrelevant though. We already know the show will follow the game's story and the game is about a young girl, born after the apocalypse who bonds with a father figure as they travel through the ruins of an old world completely alien to her.

Nothing in that works if both characters are adults who were born before the outbreak.

Also Ellie was already gay before Ellen Page publicly came out, so people really need to stop saying Ellie is based off Page for that too. Coincidentally Page actually came out the same day Left Behind was released, but the DLC was obviously in production for nearly a year up to that point.

Eiknarf

Just know that if TLOU2 or the HBO show are about vilifying Christians, or Global Warming, or belittling men, or is super duper LGBT in its message...etc, then it’s going to sell less. You know this, and they know this. Why would they want to jeopardize their number one money maker and tank their reputation?

Last edited:
Top Bottom