• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Leaked document detailing MS future plans for the Xbox line. 56 pages long.

Rhindle

It's pretty obviously real. But it's also 2 years old, so its not really indicative of anything other than what MS was thinking in the very earliest planning stages.

For the new page:

DigitalFoundry claim that this is completely fake:DF Tweet,DF Tweet2,DF Tweet3

The "Xbox 720" doc floating about is based on sketches from a while back that were surrounded by demonstrably fake info.
@DanAdeptGames The fact they're calling it 720 pretty much proves it's fake plus I saw all this shit weeks ago. Amazed The Verge fell for it
Author of the original piece ignored comms asking to discuss his piece too. No mention at all of Durango either...
If doc is genuine, you'd wonder where MS could find a truly next-gen CPU/GPU SoC that only needs 50W too.

Publishers aren't paying for the hardware. The service provider pays, and yes it's worth it for them because when Diablo3's players move away, they'll be migrating to another game which is rendered on OnLive's server farm. More users directly translates to more profits. Hardware costs are obviously a factor, but the percentage of profits going to infrastructure will shrink over time.

Publishers will gladly support this model because it virtually eliminates copyright infringement. Even though they have to share in the infrastructure costs (through licensing fees, they don't own the hardware), those costs are negligible compared to this Capitalist holy grail of publishing.

It's not like every user has a $400 rack with their name on it in a server room. User instances cycle in and out all the time. If my PS3 could be timeshared when I'm not using it, and the hardware costs dispersed among all users, my PS3 probably only costs me $20. I'll spend disproportionately more on software during its lifetime.

Sooner or later, virtualization technology for graphics cards will improve to the point where you no longer need one GPU per running instance (as OnLive currently requires). Eventually one GPU will be able to power several running instances based on the calculated hardware requirements of any game. Significant progress has already been made in the last 5 years.

Think about the hardware/bandwidth requirements of any large web service provider. Does Facebook, Twitter or Google ever ask you to share in those costs? It's the opposite. They prefer you to store your data on their servers.

Okey didn't knew about that but still for me personally i dont want the extra 10~40ms latency.

Another question because you seem quit up to date on the subject how are companies like
Onlive and Gaikai doing financially. Onlive has run for 1 year now i think we should have some rought estimate if this is the future. Also do we have numbers about concurrent active online members on psn and xbox live.

2MF

Rösti;38938399 said:
Some things that make this document look fishy:

(...)

13: \\ADISVR2\Shared\ADI_Projects\Microsoft\MS_10_01138_Windows_Phone_PPT_Suppo rt\ADI_Art\Working_Art\sky-openwheelracecar.jpg

You know, things like these actually make the document look more real. I have worked at Microsoft a long time ago and these shared directories were quite common (and at other companies they are common too, not so common on home networks as a faker would use).

Of course now we know that a law firm affiliated with Microsoft has successfully gotten the document deleted from scribd, so we know it's extremely likely to be real...

itsgreen

Only thing left to confirm it is the press release on monday stating that Microsoft does not comment on rumour or speculation.

1) They won't pro-actively do messaging on this subject
2) The no comment on rumour or speculation is the default answer whether it be true or not. It can only be that answer always. If it wasn't true and they said that they couldn't play the 'no comment on rumour or speculation'-card in the future because it was implied as true... Anyhow the comment Microsoft will make is: 'Microsoft does not comment on rumors and speculation. We are very confident of the 2012 holiday season. We are always looking at further expanding the Xbox brand and will do so in the future'...

1) They won't pro-actively do messaging on this subject

They shouldn't, but they will.

2) The no comment on rumour or speculation is the default answer whether it be true or not. It can only be that answer always. If it wasn't true and they said that they couldn't play the 'no comment on rumour or speculation'-card because it was implied as true

You'd think so, but they do comment on rumour and speculation when it is an outright lie (to debunk them).

MS are very leaky, and always follow up leaks with their rumour + speculation copypasta

2MF

Or Microsoft didn't want a fake document roaming around the web and confusing people?

A fake document which is 56 pages long, contains references to the username of a Product Planning employee at Microsoft, contains other signs of being prepared on a corporate network and happened to be removed by a law firm rather quickly?

It seems like a big stretch to call it a fake at this point. Believe what you want though :)

Centurion

Banned
*Puts on conspiracy hat*

MS leaked this so that Sony would think they are releasing a cheap/underpowered system at a profit, to get them to do the same. Then BAM, 20 gigs up in this bitch with a 6 core CPU, and 2x 6970s duck taped together.

The glasses are similar to Googles "glass project" and AR apps like "Wonderbook" or the WiiU concepts will become more reasonable in the near future.
Seems legit.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The recent events has reignited my interest. So, the document was removed at the request of Covington & Burling LLP, eh. Lucky I saved it to my hard drive then.

Next week could be exciting, though I guess we only get a "we don't comment on rumors and speculation" reply at the most.

itsgreen

They shouldn't, but they will.

You'd think so, but they do comment on rumour and speculation when it is an outright lie (to debunk them).

MS are very leaky, and always follow up leaks with their rumour + speculation copypasta

Yeah I am not going to turn this into a 'Yes/no/yes/no/yes'-battle...
But I'll put all my money on it that MS won't do any pro active messaging on this subject.

Can you give examples when they didn't use the rumour/speculation line? (where the rumour wasn't batshit insane?)

A fake document which is 56 pages long, contains references to the username of a Product Planning employee at Microsoft, contains other signs of being prepared on a corporate network and happened to be removed by a law firm rather quickly?

It seems like a big stretch to call it a fake at this point. Believe what you want though :)
I kinda expected it to be removed when I posted to NeoGAF...almost copied it but decided considering the age and everything in it was obvious and parallel to what Sony is doing (See Rastin post) I didn't save a copy. I'm sure others have done so.

And guys, I posted a link to the site after working hours on Friday and it was removed in less than 24 hours on a Saturday....overtime hours anyone...and how fast does this usually happen and on weekends? Did Microsoft see it when the Verge posted it, that would make this a less that 7 hours reaction time.

What damage could this release do...don't buy a Xbox360, wait 3-4 months for a Xbox361? The 56 pages, except for the low target performance which I believe has moved upward above 10X Xbox360, I think reflects positively on next Generation Xbox. Also I expect the price in the cite is low by $100...faster is more expensive.

onQ123 posted here.

BY3D thread with much of the site copied

Message 430 below has a link to a PDF

SPDIF

So MS Nerd seems to think that this Verizon announcement has something to do with the MS announcement. Xbox related?

Nokia has a ‪#onemorething‬. #808 #0618. Verizon & Microsoft announcements are linked

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
New download link: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=LrrhUguM

(Has been removed... on request of Microsoft most probably)

It appears that law firm has issued some kind of security wall on Scribd to prevent people from uploading any copy of the document.
Above is a TXT file anyway. Images are obviously not included, but it's something at least.

Shadders

I think it would be very unusual for MS to commit 56 pages of information to an - inherently leakable - document 3 years before launch. At that point it would be extremely secretive and would only a handful of people would know about it. I really doubt they'd speak to any 3rd party publishers about it that far in advance.

Elginer

*Puts on conspiracy hat*

MS leaked this so that Sony would think they are releasing a cheap/underpowered system at a profit, to get them to do the same. Then BAM, 20 gigs up in this bitch with a 6 core CPU, and 2x 6970s duck taped together.

All for the low low price of 800 dollars.

Thoraxes

The biggest feature of next gen XBOX is being able to stream the game to your PC, ala OnLive in your living room. It could make PC gaming irrelevant, as you no longer need a "gaming PC" to play games on your PC. For example, you could buy Starcraft 2 for XBOX then play it with a mouse and keyboard like you do today on your PC streaming via XBOX (and the PC could be a netbook even).

Besides the points already mentioned, a PC can do a lot more than a home console will ever be able to do, and can do it openly without being constrained within a mandatory framework.

*Puts on conspiracy hat*

That would be hilarious if they did leak this to throw Sony and others off their real plans. :lol

MrBud360

Fortaleza is the Capital of Rio Grande do Norte state in Brazil. Natal is the capital of Ceará state in Brazil. Project Natal became Kinect. Hmm....

Top Bottom