• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Mode Releasing As DLC [Update]

Lothars

Moofers said:
Obligatory "Not finished in time just like Dragon Age II" post....

Seriously though, what makes them think we want multiplayer at all? I don't get it. I really don't. When I was busy quelling arguments between team members and sexing up Tali, I never once thought to myself "Man, this needs a good deathmatch mode".

I'm guessing it's to try to people in that wouldn't play the game otherwise, I also think this is a game that will be finished when it's done.

diffusionx said:
I played it a few months ago and had no problems finding games.

That said, I have little hope for ME3 at this point. At E3 the game looked like a boring rehash and everything coming out sounds awful.
I don't really think we are watching stuff about the same game.

EmCeeGramr said:
Man I cannot WAIT to see how much content BioWare sticks behind pre-order bonuses, special editions, and DLC this time. They are masters of the art.

Nah man, everything bad that a studio does is the fault of the publisher, but everything good they do is their genius shining through against all odds!

LegatoB

EmCeeGramr said:
Man I cannot WAIT to see how much content BioWare sticks behind pre-order bonuses, special editions, and DLC this time. They are masters of the art.
Dare we hope for a return of the "pre-order this game at least three months in advance or you pay $10 for this party member" promotion?

Now, if the game retails for 40, and the multiplayer goes for 20...then I have no issue with this. It would actually be a great move for the industry. Let players pick and chose their experience.

But we all know that's not how this is going to go down. And let's be real, this DLC won't be developed in 30 days post-launch. Most likely, it's already finished and will either be finalized via QA or it's just sitting there complete.

This is just a clever way up increasing the games price to 80 dollars. Some would argue that you "don't have to buy" it, but this isn't costume DLC, or a map pack...this is a shit ton of functionality that's being purposefully withheld as a cash grab.

It stinks, and while I love DLC in theory, I really don't want to be charged for multiplayer. I don't want that to become a mainstay of gaming. I understand they're jelly about used games, but this isn't the way to go about it.

Dennis

Banned
So maybe only a mode?

Well, I am OK with all of MP being DLC because I have ZERO interest in MP for Mass Effect 3 THE GODDAMN RPG GAME so let people who want MP pay for it.

DennisK4 said:
So maybe only a mode?

Well, I am OK with all of MP being DLC because I have ZERO interest in MP for Mass Effect 3 THE GODDAMN RPG GAME so let people who want MP pay for it.

You mean the shooting game with a few RPG elements? Sounds like a perfect fit for multiplayer.

kadotsu

Banned
You know what would be great business EA. Instead of releasing single player DLC as a standalone you should force bundle them with maps, modes, skins for multiplayer, to not nikel and dime the playerbase. An example: the imaginary "Flotilla Intervention" DLC mission that you would charge 8 bucks and the "Mass Effect 1 Character" MP Skin pack at 5 bucks could be bundled into one package for 10 bucks. At that point selling them seperate would almost be a insult to your costumers. Do it EA!

Z_Y

I'm trying to wrap my head around how MP in ME would even work.

Both players continually selecting the red dialogue option until one of them slaps the other?

Door2Dawn said:
lXGRT.gif

Optional MP works for me, hopefully it means I never have to even look at the goddamned option on my start screen.

So now instead of an unwanted and useless multi-player being added into every game to justify a $60 price tag they are going to try to charge people separately for an unwanted and useless multi-player add on. And still charge $60 for the single player.

LiK

Z_Y said:
I'm trying to wrap my head around how MP in ME would even work.

Both players continually selecting the red dialogue option until one of them slaps the other?
From previous rumors, more like coop horde mode.

Patryn

I H8 Memes said:
So now instead of an unwanted and useless multi-player being added into every game to justify a $60 price tag they are going to try to charge people separately for an unwanted and useless multi-player add on. And still charge $60 for the single player.

Except they charged $60 for just the single player of the first two.....?

This isn't like CoD ripping out multiplayer and charging $60 for just the campaign.

Dipswitch

It's unclear whether this is paid DLC or free. If it's the former, are we beginning to see the first attempts to flog SP and MP functionality as separate products?

EDIT: Discussion well underway I see.....

Grisby

Ok. Well, I guess I'd try it if it was free. Don't feel like paying for it unless the mode is hot sauce.

Patryn said:
Except they charged $60 for just the single player of the first two.....?

This isn't like CoD ripping out multiplayer and charging $60 for just the campaign.

I should point out that this is coming from the perspective of a PC gamer. For some reason over the last few years we are being charged the same amount for games as console gamers. PC games should be $10 cheaper.

I H8 Memes said:
I should point out that this is coming from the perspective of a PC gamer. For some reason over the last few years we are being charged the same amount for games as console gamers. PC games should be $10 cheaper.

Yes they should be, but I'm always comforted by steam sales to not get too upset about it.

Hari Seldon

I preordered ME1 and 2 but I'm definitely waiting for reviews and opinions before buying 3. I might actually wait for a sale. I'm not hyped at all about this game, and everything coming out of bioware makes it even worse.

M3d10n

This is most likely an online pass in disguise (free for people who buy new, paid for everyone else), but instead of being merely a CD-key you actually need to download the multiplayer maps/skins separately.

Tagg9

This seems fine to me. As long as it is an optional purchase and doesn't take away from the single-player development time/budget I don't care.

edgefusion

If this means there will be no multiplayer trophies then I'm all for it. Trophies that go "Get 64 players to all perform the can-can in flawless unison together" can go fuck themselves.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So I figure there's two major unknown values.

• Paid or free? Paid for money grubbing, yet guaranteed DOA in terms of longivity. Free in order to grab the audiance, perhaps as a 'new copy' incentive similar to the Cerberus Network for ME2.
  • Complete feature or mode. Game ships with no multiplayer at all and instead it arrives later. Game ships with some kind of multiplayer, and this is an extra mode (co-op or competitive) that enhances the base package.

Take your pick.

rozay

Banned
That original post was rather shaky...Nirolak, was the person/people you asked different from the person who made that post?

I'm not doubting you, I've been in the camp who thinks the game will have multiplayer for a while now.

Derrick01

Banned
At this point I was starting to think they'd release the rpg elements as DLC, since all they keep showing is the same shallow boring tiresome combat from ME2, with more "epic" explosions in the background.

This is a great way to ensure the multiplayer is dead within a month of its release, and by releasing it as DLC I don't have to worry about my money supporting it. A great win for me.

Dany

Banned
Hmm? Would it cost money? I mean having multiplayer not be in the game but a month after release...very odd.

I could potentially see this being their Cerberus member thing where people who buy it new or pay 10 bucks get it for free.

3 player co-op missions? fuck yeah. maybe some horde like mode? fuck yeah! maybe actual MP modes like CTF or TDM? no thx.

Weenerz

Banned
And I bet that MP DLC will cost at least $15. Why include it with the game when you can release it a month later and charge a bunch for it.

Replicant

I'd be glad to not have to pay for something that I don't play and pay cheaper for the basic game. But of course that's not going to be the case. Having said that, I don't care not having the MP right off the bat as long as they don't make the MP as a part of the achievements/trophies list.

Oh I wish that mode was made of DLC missions designed to be played with friends, and with good loot that could be used in the regular campaign.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
People going " good, fine with me I don't care about MP in me 3 " are really missing the point of this.

(If true and if it's not just a mode but all of the mp ) This means developers/publishers have reached a new low, it is no longer about preorder bonus' or day 1 DLCs. It's about taking a general pillar of any game and cutting it just to sell it separately, in other words selling 60$ games for 75$ and shipping them unfinished at that.

I couldn't give a rats ass about ME3 OR it's multiplayer, but one day it'll get to a franchise I enjoy and it's going to bum me out.

rozay

Banned
Does "project ten dollar" still exist? What if that prothean DLC and this "multplayer mode" are simply part of that for new buyers?

EA does some awful things, but I don't think they're stupid enough to put multiplayer as a separate, purchasable DLC. Why not just make a separate, small budget, multiplayer only game?

inky

Corky said:

I don't think they would ever do that (MP as DLC on top of the full price) but this is EA after all. We'll see.

I say, let them try. Mass Effect 3 is probably my last Bioware game unless a miracle happens, so I just want to see the story end and be done with it. Yes, they will probably leave it open to a sequel but I don't care... or worst yet they could save the very very ending for DLC, which would be the icing on the shit cake.

For what it's worth, I still think ME3 will be a good game, maybe a competent shooter, but not much more.

DennisK4 said:
So maybe only a mode?

I kind of agree about not caring for MP in ME3 but this sounds like an Online Pass for new games. Not a good precedent.

Hopefully it's just a mode.

This product is a gamefly rental for me. Don't give a mother fuck how many modes or costumes or whatever they take out of the game.

I don't think I've read anything about Mass Effect 3 that I've thought sounded like a good idea.

Metroid Prime 2 had an added on
free
mutliplayer mode and it happened to be the worst in the trilogy. Prime Hunters had multiplayer too and that sucked. Coincidence!?!?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man, you guys really want to hate ME3 do you? I love ME1 and ME2 and nothing sound exciting about the 3rd game from what i've read here. It's all "OMFG that sounds stupid" from what little i've seen.

rozay

Banned
http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/126?ch=2

This is the closest we've gotten to a "no multiplayer" answer from Casey Hudson at 8:40:
"It's not something we are avoiding at BioWare, in fact we have wanted to try and put multiplayer into the Mass Effect series from the very beginning, but really, it is a series about the single-player experience, so we've never really figured out how we can put that in there in a way that doesn't compromise the single player experience."

This was done at ComicCon (July 29th) for a timeframe reference so it sorta contradicts the OP.

Bisnic said:
Man, you guys really want to hate ME3 do you? I love ME1 and ME2 and nothing sound exciting about the 3rd game from what i've read here. It's all "OMFG that sounds stupid" from what little i've seen.
Welcome to GAF.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dang, it would probably have a hard enough time holding a user base if it was on the disc. I figured the addition of a MP mode like this is a way to keep players from trading it in once they complete the campaign.

Oh well. I would have given it a shot if it was included with the game, but I'm not gonna pay extra for it.

Just read the update, that clears things up. I expect it to be a mode, then, since multiplayer DLC is a way to make easy money, and we all know how much EA loves easy mode.

Top Bottom