• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 4 details leak through survey

Lucreto

To be blunt, as a longtime fan of the television franchise... who cares what Devlin and Emmerich and MGM wind up saying, we'll always have 17(!) seasons of an incredible franchise. No second movie, third movie, ninth movie can come close to that. Sure, those guys invented the formula, but Wright, Mallozzi, Cooper, Glassner, Binder... those guys perfected it.

Not one word I don't agree with there. I love the TV series.

diaspora

I'm not writing it lol If its a hidden long distance relay that ta da can do massive jumps and um we never mentioned them before - is the kind of thing I am fearing is all. They can write whatever they like of course but if its magic or retcon tech I may roll my eyes :D If its a down and dirty 2000 year journey and getting there was a real hard task then that would be satisfying I think. Andromeda is so far away that it can't be just a sentence in the intro.

They threw space-money at it until it worked. See: Lazarus Project

edit: shit, for all we know, they could fire the ship out of a colossal rail gun.

They threw space-money at it until it worked. See: Lazarus Project

edit: shit, for all we know, they could fire the ship out of a colossal rail gun.

its throwing space-money at it like the intro to ME2 that I am talking about really.
Shep dieing was the first mistake at the start of ME2, raising her from the dead was the second
so if its 'hey we found the plans to a long distance mass effect relay that we can get to Andromeda with' I may well roll my eyes. I want a non throwing space money at it explanation I guess. Its probably what I want to know the most about the Story lol

I find it hard to believe that the events from the last game do not affect this new one. I can forgive this if it brings me any semblance to ME1. I am willing to suspend my disbelief if this is possible.

diaspora

its throwing space-money at it like the intro to ME2 that I am talking about really.
Shep dieing was the first mistake at the start of ME2, raising her from the dead was the second
so if its 'hey we found the plans to a long distance mass effect relay that we can get to Andromeda with' I may well roll my eyes. I want a non throwing space money at it explanation I guess. Its probably what I want to know the most about the Story lol
Dunno if it's going to be a relay, those are the notoriously the Reapers main form of transportation. Perhaps a wormhole and closing it behind them.

prag16

Banned
I find it hard to believe that the events from the last game do not affect this new one.

How so? As has been said, the only requirement which makes sure the events of ME3 don't affect the new game(s) is that the pathfinder/arkcon has to depart PRIOR to those events; and with a lengthy journey this can occur while still having the bulk of the game take place long after the original trilogy. Simple.

Prag16 said:
How so? As has been said, the only requirement which makes sure the events of ME3 don't affect the new game(s) is that the pathfinder/arkcon has to depart PRIOR to those events; and with a lengthy journey this can occur while still having the bulk of the game take place long after the original trilogy. Simple.

I understand that space is a vast vast place but, I feel (depending on which ending you choose) that there should be a connection to 3, no matter how bad it was. Seems kind of weird to me. Now if it's like (forgive me for going a bit off the reservation) Star Trek Voyager when they are a bajilliongillion light years from really anything, I can accept that I suppose. I won't know until this comes out.

Just give me my planet exploration/customizable Mako and I will be fine.

Agremont

I understand that space is a vast vast place but, I feel (depending on which ending you choose) that there should be a connection to 3, no matter how bad it was. Seems kind of weird to me. Now if it's like (forgive me for going a bit off the reservation) Star Trek Voyager when they are a bajilliongillion light years from really anything, I can accept that I suppose. I won't know until this comes out.

Just give me my planet exploration/customizable Mako and I will be fine.

I'd be fine with just a nod or two to the earlier games really.

Voror

So do we know when this takes place compared to the original Trilogy? I thought it was co-current, but I've seen a couple mentions here about it actually taking place after 3?

diaspora

So do we know when this takes place compared to the original Trilogy? I thought it was co-current, but I've seen a couple mentions here about it actually taking place after 3?

They leave before 3 ends IIRC, and the actual adventures in Andromeda will take place years after.

prag16

Banned
They leave before 3 ends IIRC, and the actual adventures in Andromeda will take place years after.

Doesn't sound like the exact departure point has been confirmed. But departure sometime between the start of ME2 (Shepard's death/disappearance) and early/mid ME3 seems to make the most sense.

diaspora

Doesn't sound like the exact departure point has been confirmed. But departure sometime between the start of ME2 (Shepard's death/disappearance) and early/mid ME3 seems to make the most sense.

True, but it'd be the only way to do it without having to address the ending other than handwaving it away with "then everything went back to normal".

I wouldn't mind if we had to play a mini Oregon Trail game to get to Andromeda and then work off from the resources that managed to be left. Kind of a procedural generator for back story development. Half your crew died because you took a dangerous shortcut threw a blackhole, less upgrade materials. Deep Space drove your yellow Salarian named Fred crazy, meet blue Salarian named Ted. That would make for a unique start for each person.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't mind if we had to play a mini Oregon Trail game to get to Andromeda and then work off from the resources that managed to be left. Kind of a procedural generator for back story development. Half your crew died because you took a dangerous shortcut threw a blackhole, less upgrade materials. Deep Space drove your yellow Salarian named Fred crazy, meet blue Salarian named Ted. That would make for a unique start for each person.

I hate to break it to you but taking a shortcut through a black hole would likely end in more than half your crew dead.

LordOfChaos

Is this Arc theory that has been popping up something that was officially hinted at, or just a fan idea?

Also curious, if the Milky Way species did indeed go to Andromeda, if the Reapers made the voyage too, but before the end of ME3. And would they have gotten the "stop killing" command?

diaspora

Is this Arc theory that has been popping up something that was officially hinted at, or just a fan idea?

Also curious, if the Milky Way species did indeed go to Andromeda, if the Reapers made the voyage too, but before the end of ME3. And would they have gotten the "stop killing" command?
Moot point, reapers aren't showing up.

I'd imagine that the expedition was launched after shepard and his crew were put on trial. But before the reapers arrived, they might've been sent as a precaution in the case that all species were wiped out, like the council knew the threat was real but wouldn't let on as to avoid mass panic and hysteria. I wonder if wel see an ark with multiple members of different races or if it will just be the explorers vessel. They mention krogan ships so I'd imagine the former.

I know, just curious lore-junkie wise. Even if they're not enemies in any future games, I could see them shooting off a few reapers to explore other galaxies. It would just take a very, very long time in transit.
We'd more likely see the Leviathon(s) who created the Reapers as tools. The Reapers are like computer programs running infinite loops. IIRC- based on the Milky Way.

diaspora

I know, just curious lore-junkie wise. Even if they're not enemies in any future games, I could see them shooting off a few reapers to explore other galaxies. It would just take a very, very long time in transit.

I love Bioware lore, but... ME is not the best series to find it.

Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Normandy Cruiser. It's mission: To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and contact new civilizations. To boldy go where no one has gone before.

That's really all I wanted from Bioware after Mass Effect 1. Instead, I got Gears of War with dialog trees - which to be fair, was still very well done not bashing it.

prag16

Banned
I guess, but I wouldn't necessarily call ME1 great or even good with its own lore, being less convoluted than 2 and 3 is a low bar. They should at least aim for DA.
But am I the only one that's thoroughly tired of high fantasy? It all ends up feeling so same-ey to me...

Then again I'm also apparently the only one who is sick and tired of zombies too.

diamount

Banned
Had not heard that. I thought Mac Walters was still the head writer? If he's left there's a chance it won't be utter wank!

And my choice of analogy is one I've used repeatedly because it accurately reflects my feelings on the utter clusterfuck of failures that was ME3's narrative.

Nope, Chris Schlerf is the lead writer now.

I hope there is meaningful exploration and loot in the next one. I may be in the minority but was not a big fan of the series. Not feeling bioware at all, there world building leaves a lot to be desired.

diaspora

But am I the only one that's thoroughly tired of high fantasy? It all ends up feeling so same-ey to me...

Then again I'm also apparently the only one who is sick and tired of zombies too.

I don't mean to be like high fantasy, just in terms of having deep lore that doesn't twist itself into knots. DA can do it, ME can and should aspire to do the same.

I guess, but I wouldn't necessarily call ME1 great or even good with its own lore, being less convoluted than 2 and 3 is a low bar. They should at least aim for DA.
I'd agree DA is better, but they still had a solid foundation with ME 1. Relatively speaking, I'd still put it closer to the high end than low end of video game lore. They ended up regressing and most additions they made post-1 were for the worse if not straight contradictions.

I hope this Pathfinder program was launched before the Reaper invasion. Maybe they started it up after Shepard's death and it was gone before he (or she) was revived.

luslanz

Neo Member
If the Pathfinder mission launched before the war then I wonder how the krogan managed to get a colony ship. They didn't even have regular ships, let alone the magical ones that could reach Andromeda.

diaspora

I'd agree DA is better, but they still had a solid foundation with ME 1. Relatively speaking, I'd still put it closer to the high end than low end of video game lore. They ended up regressing and most additions they made post-1 were for the worse if not straight contradictions.

I hope this Pathfinder program was launched before the Reaper invasion. Maybe they started it up after Shepard's death and it was gone before he (or she) was revived.

The thing with DA isn't the story itself, but like... the writers present a setting and narrative to you and with each successive game and the further you delve into the series the layers start to peel away and you start learning the "truth". ME1 set the foundation for this, but they needed to act on it. Think of how in DA Awakening we learned how the 5th blight really started, or how we learn the truth of why Orlais so royally fucked over the Elves in Hakkon.

edit or even the hidden megaton bombs on where the taint/blight originally came from, the only time we approached this type of lore and storytelling was with Leviathan and in Citadel (learning about who really ordered the deployment of the genophage.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Fan idea. As JeffZero noted the "ark" premise has been thrown around by fans for a long time now. Like...well over a year. Mostly as a solution to the problem of where the next game could be set without wrestling with the numerous complexities in canon. BioWare has never formally hinted at or discussed an ark theory.

Fans lean towards it because the new game is (apparently) set in a new galaxy, distant "time and space" from the Shepard trilogy, and BioWare has reiterated a number of times not so much that your trilogy choices matter but that they respect the choice system. I mean, end of the day it comes down to how hard the writers want to fuck with the canon, but given the above info it seems like they don't want to go anywhere near addressing an ending canon or universe state. And shinobi has been implying it's set post-trilogy (it's also what I've been hearing), so yeah.

An ark-like theory seems most plausible at this point if BioWare doesn't intend to do sweeping retcons.

We also have BioWare Montreal's shirts :p

B2WStWBCEAACpvO.jpg

My guess, due to the Krogan Colony Ship, is the launch of the Ark Fleet is sometime between the events after Tuchanka ending with the Genophage cured and before the Crucible deployment.

After that it's after Mass Effect 3, but since we are in another galaxy that's a moot factor now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

No. Formally we know nothing of the plot at all, only leaks and theories. Ark theory is that the ship destined for Andromeda leaves the Milky Way sometime during the events of the trilogy, but by the time it arrives in the new galaxy and the game begins, it's set after the trilogy. So canonically post-trilogy, but technically unable to address any canon or ending states.

Doesn't make sense to send Krogans in the Ark before the Genophage is cured - they will die anyway and not be able to colonize Andromeda - so, IMO, that leak means at least Genophage being cured is canon.

Wonder what about Quarians/ Geth...

Man, if they do not address this properly they are opening a big can of worms similiar to the one that erupted with ME3 endings drama.

Doesn't make sense to send Krogans in the Ark before the Genophage is cured - they will die anyway and not be able to colonize Andromeda - so, IMO, that leak means at least Genophage being cured is canon.

Wonder what about Quarians/ Geth...

Man, if they do not address this properly they are opening a big can of worms similiar to the one that erupted with ME3 endings drama.

The genophage - if I remember my canon correctly, did not prevent healthy births in Krogan entirely. It made it so that only 1 in 2000 births were viable offspring. The codex mentions that Krogans can produce 1,000 fertilized eggs per year (which is kind of insane). What has traditionally kept the Krogans in check is their constant infighting.

However, when they were uplifted and given space travel, this restriction was eliminated and the krogans began expanding. Once the genophage was implemented, they civilization could have continued but krogan culture never developed past their urge to fight amongst themselves. I would imagine that a Krogan colonization team would be aware of this fact and be in the midst of a cultural revolution.

I'm not excited for this, Bioware is washed upDA:I didn't even chart in the top 10. I can boot up KOTOR on my iPad and it will still be better than this game from the look of the survery.

The genophage - if I remember my canon correctly, did not prevent healthy births in Krogan entirely. It made it so that only 1 in 2000 births were viable offspring. The codex mentions that Krogans can produce 1,000 fertilized eggs per year (which is kind of insane). What has traditionally kept the Krogans in check is their constant infighting.

However, when they were uplifted and given space travel, this restriction was eliminated and the krogans began expanding. Once the genophage was implemented, they civilization could have continued but krogan culture never developed past their urge to fight amongst themselves. I would imagine that a Krogan colonization team would be aware of this fact and be in the midst of a cultural revolution.

Genophage means 1 of every 1000 pregnancies ends with a proper birth:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Genophage

It makes little sense (no sense actually) to put Krogans on an "Ark" type of vehicle if they cannot properly reproduce.

But I am sure Bio Whiz's will find a "smart" way around that...

Genophage means 1 of every 1000 pregnancies ends with a proper birth:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Genophage

It makes little sense (no sense actually) to put Krogans on an "Ark" type of vehicle if they cannot properly reproduce.

But I am sure Bio Whiz's will find a "smart" way around that...

"Considering the importance of the ARKCON project (and the one-way voyage), the Salarians were pressured to secretly administer a milder variant of the Genophage to Krogan security forces attached to the Andromeda exepdition."

Top Bottom