• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Microsoft to announce a new Gears, Forza Horizon 4, Halo and Sunset Overdrive 2 at E3

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
OK some of this isn't exactly surprising and take with a huge grain of salt but a Reddit user who leaked the name and gave some details of the new Fallout game also said this info about Microsoft's E3:

Really need some Halo news. It's been too long and it seems 343 is taking this very seriously and taking their time with it.

Gears though, feels a bit too early? Need something fresh with gears, would be surprised if theres gameplay to be shown unless its super early like what we saw with God of war 4. I liked Gears 4 and all but it really needed more.

SSO 2 is a welcome addition, loved the first, combat and traversing mechanics were so fun

demigod

I'm wondering if Sunset Overdrive 2 will be multiplat or "first on xbox". I have a hard time believing MS would give the green to this game for full exclusivity when the first game didn't do so hot.

I'm wondering if Sunset Overdrive 2 will be multiplat or "first on xbox". I have a hard time believing MS would give the green to this game for full exclusivity when the first game didn't do so hot.

Did it not? I wouldn't be surprised tho. I think it'll do better now if it comes on gamepass and gets launched on Windows 10 as well

With the good reviews and success of the first one plus the ability to release on game pass. I think the sequel could do really well for its self.

WaterAstro

No, I don't think Sunset Overdrive 2 is happening because Insomniac owns the IP and Spiderman is not finished. I have never known Insomniac to be a multi-game development studio, so Sunset Overdrive 2 seems extremely false.

RPGCrazied

Please another Fable. I just bought an Xbox One, I hope my purchase wasn't made to quickly. Though I did mostly get it for playing 360 games on it. Also playing Final Fantasy XV.

Crew 511A

I'd take Gears 2 Ultimate Edition. For some reason, my Gears 2 data on 360 was corrupted, and I couldn't finish the game. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't fix it.

The Alien

Banned
I'd take Gears 2 Ultimate Edition. For some reason, my Gears 2 data on 360 was corrupted, and I couldn't finish the game. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't fix it.

Gears 2 Ultimate was confirmed by The Coalition as not only not in development, but that there are no future plans....it's not a thing (unfortunately).

The Alien

Banned
Gears 5 may see a teaser trailer and an announced window for 2019. But I'm hearing it's an RTS spinoff by a different studio (Splash Damage, other?) that is being announced.

I'd love Sunset OD2. If they do some multiplayer, xbox could have an exclusive Fortnite style game.

-MD-

No, I don't think Sunset Overdrive 2 is happening because Insomniac owns the IP and Spiderman is not finished. I have never known Insomniac to be a multi-game development studio, so Sunset Overdrive 2 seems extremely false.

P2B95Ua.png

I highlighted their big releases of which they've released ~9 titles in 12 years, there are at least 5 notable smaller releases during that time period and many other less notable games as well.

The only way they could maintain this release schedule is if they had multiple titles in development, they're definitely a multi-game studio.

They should get the first one on Steam for a start to make some money back. And 4K patch for the 1X for any potential customers there.

Halo 6 I personally think it should be a next gen launch game along with the next Forza Motorsport.

They should get the first one on Steam for a start to make some money back. And 4K patch for the 1X for any potential customers there.

Halo 6 I personally think it should be a next gen launch game along with the next Forza Motorsport.

Next gen is like 4 years away, its been 3 years since we've got any news about a new Halo. That's WAYYY too long a time. Especially because it wouldn't be worth them releasing a halo right at launch

-MD-

Next gen is like 4 years away, its been 3 years since we've got any news about a new Halo. That's WAYYY too long a time. Especially because it wouldn't be worth them releasing a halo right at launch

It's probably closer to 2 years away but yeah, their best bet is to just close out this trilogy and plan to release a new Halo in 2021-2022.

Barakov

Everything sounds about right except SSO2. I mean I want SSO2 to happen but it's the less likely of all those things to happen. Hopefully, someone at MS realized they needed some console exclusives.

Codes 208

And yet they published super lucky tales 2 as q console exclusive despite the OG being a so-so vr exclusive

It's probably closer to 2 years away but yeah, their best bet is to just close out this trilogy and plan to release a new Halo in 2021-2022.
#

What makes you think so? The introduction of the X and Pro line makes me think that the gen will be extended. 2 years sounds way too close, not expecting any console reveals next E3 or ready for it

Drewpee

Banned
I would LOVE a new Sunset Overdrive, but wouldn't it have to be done by a different studio since they are currently working on the Spiderman game?

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job

who's to say Microsoft didn't buy the IP...

Fbh

Well it's mostly their big franchises so it's both realistic but at the same time something anyone could have guessed.

SSO2 sounds interesting though and I think there were rumours some days ago about the first one comming to PC. So announcing both of those things together would be nice

I would LOVE a new Sunset Overdrive, but wouldn't it have to be done by a different studio since they are currently working on the Spiderman game?
Well they do seem to have various teams. In 2016 they released ratchet and clank, Song of the deep and a few VR games.
Maybe they have a smaller team working on SSO2 and will start putting more people into it as they wrap thing up with Spiderman

Next gen is probably 2020 or 21 at the latest. Halo 6 isn't coming this year and it would mean it only has to maybe skip one more year. Next gen Xbox is going to have to come out swinging if they want to regain lost ground, which apparently they do. What better way than to have their main IP at launch of the new generation.

Releasing the FOURTH Forza Motorsport of the generation is also taking the piss IMO. They don't have enough upgrade between them to justify yet another one. Again a next gen console can take care of that.

The Scorpio is just a 4K xbox one for those that wanted it. It's the weak sauce standard XB1 you should be looking at.

Breakage

Aren't people tired of Gears?
The last one didn't exactly set the world on fire.
I expected Microsoft to put the franchise to bed for a few years, at least.

-MD-

Aren't people tired of Gears?
The last one didn't exactly set the world on fire.
I expected Microsoft to put the franchise to bed for a few years, at least.

I figured people would be tired of this trio of IP being repeated year after year but you still see some folks get excited for their Halo, Gears and Forza. I was burned out on all those franchises about a decade ago so I don't really get it but whatever, more power to them.

Funny enough Gears is the only one of those 3 games I'm interested in seeing, 3 put me to sleep and I skipped Judgement/4 but if they can switch it up for 5 I might be back in.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

P2B95Ua.png

I highlighted their big releases of which they've released ~9 titles in 12 years, there are at least 5 notable smaller releases during that time period and many other less notable games as well.

The only way they could maintain this release schedule is if they had multiple titles in development, they're definitely a multi-game studio.
That list actually proves that they aren't, especially the trend in this generation. As for those PS3 era Ratchet and Clank releases, you missed the fact that they have a smaller North Carolina studio that handled them. The main California studio focused on Resistance, then went onto that shitty Fuse, then Sunset Overdrive. That latest R&C game was a cooperation of both studios. No studio can make a game as big as Sunset Overdrive or Spiderman in tandem. It's not like how Ubisoft Montreal has 3000 employees in their studio.

More evidence below.
who's to say Microsoft didn't buy the IP...
They have the publishing rights for the first game, but whether they bought the IP, they would have had to do so since this last article.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ot-we-just-need-to-find-a-publisher-quot.aspx

Given how Sunset Overdrive did poorly, and Microsoft wasn't willing to publish the next Sunset Overdrive after 3 years of its release, I can safely say that Microsoft aren't interested in it. This also proves that there is no development on it because no studio makes games when there is no publisher. Even if the likelihood that MS decided to publish the game right after this news article, half a year isn't enough to get something solid off the ground to show off at an E3, especially when the studio is already focused on an even bigger game with Spiderman.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Next gen is probably 2020 or 21 at the latest. Halo 6 isn't coming this year and it would mean it only has to maybe skip one more year. Next gen Xbox is going to have to come out swinging if they want to regain lost ground, which apparently they do. What better way than to have their main IP at launch of the new generation.

Releasing the FOURTH Forza Motorsport of the generation is also taking the piss IMO. They don't have enough upgrade between them to justify yet another one. Again a next gen console can take care of that.

The Scorpio is just a 4K xbox one for those that wanted it. It's the weak sauce standard XB1 you should be looking at.

Forza motor sport is different to Forza Horizon which will be coming this year

The 4K xbox the most powerful console on the market and yes the one was underpowered nut it hasn't stopped the X pretty much having the best graphics on most multiplat games since it game out

I really hope the rumor of a perfect dark is true even if I never played the game. On the other hand, though, I hope it's much different from halo or gears. Maybe reboot it as a stealth game

Last edited:

Redshirt

Banned
Ready for FH4! SO2 would be a cool surprise. Loved the first game.

No idea if Insomniac could develop Spidey and SO2 at the same time but no doubt SO1 informed the SM game so not a terrible surprise if true.

Sunset Overdrive is my non-Souls series GOAT this generation. So a sequel would make me warm and fuzzy all over.

I think it would do MS to make a Diablo-like game based on Gears.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I think Forza, Gears and Halo are inevitable, just not all at the same time.

Sunset Overdrive is wishful thinking. Insominiac is not going to dedicate years of work on a failed IP even if they do make it multi-platform. They would more likely just make a new IP.

Sunset Overdrive 2 would be a pretty big announcement. Announcing another Gears would be status quo. As far as Halo is concerned, I think most people fully expect a major Halo 6 blowout this e3. I do and I keep spamming it in every thread that I can :D

Last edited:

Pallas

SSO2 is surprising if true, but I won’t be too shocked. The first didn’t do too hot but the game was amazing to play. Vibrant colors, goofy but good storyline, controls were excellent, live huw you could customize the appearance of your character. Even had a multiplayer function tacked on that was fun for a bit.

I’m not saying believe it or don’t but hold some reasonable skepticism and try not to elavate your hopes too high about this.

I think Forza, Gears and Halo are inevitable, just not all at the same time.

Sunset Overdrive is wishful thinking. Insominiac is not going to dedicate years of work on a failed IP even if they do make it multi-platform. They would more likely just make a new IP.
If Insomniac was making SO2 for a next gen console, maybe it'd make more sense, but announcing a next gen title right now makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom