• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Microsoft to announce a new Gears, Forza Horizon 4, Halo and Sunset Overdrive 2 at E3

Leocarian

Banned
Well, Sony takes the risk. Microsoft canned Scalebound, Phantom Dust, and Fable Legends, so they really don't like to take risks in establishing new IPs. Even when they do, they just completely bomb, like Sea of Thieves is a good example. Microsoft just lacks that pedigree of recognizing what fans what and what they don't want. Sony also has some misses, but they continually take risks and half of them pay off.

The reason why Fable Legends got canned was because the game didn't progress much in terms of development. As someone who interviewed Geoff a Smith back to back at E3 2014 and e3 2015 on Fable Legends from Lionhead and played the game multiple times there was not much progression.

It also didn't help that it played clunky and was poorly optimized on Unreal Engine 4.

The game started becoming too expensive for Microsoft and they didn't like where Lionhead was going with it and the feedback wasn't great either. So it wasn't worth the development time anymore and it was very questionable if it was going to make any money as well

Releasing the game would of been a disaster and Microsoft saw it a mile away and canned it.

Going back to the original Fable days makes the most sense and I hope Playground delivers.

As for Scalebound, yeah that game was announced way too early, had massive technical issues and struggled to run on the Xbox One and it seemed that they also had internal development problems. I wanted the game really bad but shit happens.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Well, Sony takes the risk. Microsoft canned Scalebound, Phantom Dust, and Fable Legends, so they really don't like to take risks in establishing new IPs. Even when they do, they just completely bomb, like Sea of Thieves is a good example. Microsoft just lacks that pedigree of recognizing what fans what and what they don't want. Sony also has some misses, but they continually take risks and half of them pay off.
I need to see the receipts to convince me that SoT is a "bomb."

Ar¢tos

Sony can afford to take risks.
I only have a Ps4 because i don't care for shooters/racing games, but every year i want MS to show me a reason to get a X1... and every year they fail :( (i'm not buying a console just for Ori).
Sony had to take risks in the Ps3 era because they had no other choice, but now they can take risks because they can afford it. Having double the install base means that it is a lot easier to break even if a risky game doesn't succeed, and having risky games helps build the image of having variety even if there is little/no profit with a specific game.
I assume the X1 is being profitable even with the smaller install base, because MS hasn't entered the situation Sony had with the Ps3 that forced them to start taking risks. So now they are "comfortable" and only bet on safe games.

WaterAstro

The reason why Fable Legends got canned was because the game didn't progress much in terms of development. As someone who interviewed Geoff a Smith back to back at E3 2014 and e3 2015 on Fable Legends from Lionhead and played the game multiple times there was not much progression.

It also didn't help that it played clunky and was poorly optimized on Unreal Engine 4.

The game started becoming too expensive for Microsoft and they didn't like where Lionhead was going with it and the feedback wasn't great either. So it wasn't worth the development time anymore and it was very questionable if it was going to make any money as well

Releasing the game would of been a disaster and Microsoft saw it a mile away and canned it.

Going back to the original Fable days makes the most sense and I hope Playground delivers.

As for Scalebound, yeah that game was announced way too early, had massive technical issues and struggled to run on the Xbox One and it seemed that they also had internal development problems. I wanted the game really bad but shit happens.
Fable Legends not working out isn't exactly a good reason to completely destroy the studio without giving them a chance or support. Sony spent a ton of money on the PS3 days on MAG, Heavenly Sword, and Lair. They gave them a chance before cutting the partnership, and in MAG's case, closing the studio. I guess you could say they gave Fable Legends a chance because it was played in beta phase, but they definitely did not support them well enough.

Scalebound and Phantom Dust is just a waste. Microsoft is willing to throw away billion dollar investments (The Kin phone, Windows Phone, etc) that money shouldn't be that big of an issue. If Sony was okay investing in projects like Lair or Heavenly Sword, then Microsoft should be too now that they're playing catch up. It's not about the money. It's about just having more games no matter the cost. They have to flip the mentality of the current player base that Xbox actually has a lot more games than we think it does because it currently doesn't.
I need to see the receipts to convince me that SoT is a "bomb."
Obviously, Microsoft isn't going to tell us exactly how much has sold or how many people are playing right now. All they have is that 2 million player announcement, fastest selling whatever, but without concrete details of whether it was gamepass or full price, or how many people are still playing because that is important for them now that Microtransactions are coming into play. They haven't said anything since the launch period, and, for me, the omission of the break down and actual sales numbers means the game done poorly. It's like when Microsoft and Insomniac said they are happy with Sunset Overdrive sales and left it at that when it obviously bombed. If the game did bonkers well, then they would have came out, like God of War, saying it sold millions.

It's also not gut instinct because a game like this should be getting a lot of viewers on Twitch. It's only got about a thousand viewers. I consider this game pretty similar to the idea around DayZ, where the fun really comes when there are player encounters, but even DayZ has 30k viewers right now. Online games thrive on active communities, more so for PVP oriented games, and just doing a quick google on some recent feedback, I just see complaints about the lack of players.
Sony can afford to take risks.
I only have a Ps4 because i don't care for shooters/racing games, but every year i want MS to show me a reason to get a X1... and every year they fail :( (i'm not buying a console just for Ori).
Sony had to take risks in the Ps3 era because they had no other choice, but now they can take risks because they can afford it. Having double the install base means that it is a lot easier to break even if a risky game doesn't succeed, and having risky games helps build the image of having variety even if there is little/no profit with a specific game.
I assume the X1 is being profitable even with the smaller install base, because MS hasn't entered the situation Sony had with the Ps3 that forced them to start taking risks. So now they are "comfortable" and only bet on safe games.
In terms of money, Microsoft can take way more risks than Sony. They take risks all the time on stupid things. Buy Nokia for gazillions and then shut them down. In terms of gaming related stuff, the Kinect was an utter failure, and I'm pretty sure Hololens is going to the ground. They just need to make smart investments in their risk, which Sony has been able to do many times.

VAL0R

Banned
Kinect was an utter failure

Sales
While announcing Kinect's discontinuation in an interview with Fast Co. Design on October 25, 2017, Microsoft stated that 35 million units had been sold since its release.[10] 24 million units of Kinect had been shipped by February 2013.[170] Having sold 8 million units in its first 60 days on the market, Kinect claimed the Guinness World Record of being the "fastest selling consumer electronics device".[171][172][173][174] According to Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter, Kinect bundles accounted for about half of all Xbox 360 console sales in December 2010 and for more than two-thirds in February 2011.[175][176] More than 750,000 Kinect units were sold during the week of Black Friday 2011.[177][178]

Awards
  • The machine learning work on human motion capture within Kinect won the 2011 MacRobert Award for engineering innovation.[179]
  • Kinect Won T3's "Gadget of the Year" award for 2011.[180] It also won the "Gaming Gadget of the Year" prize.[181]
  • 'Microsoft Kinect for Windows Software Development Kit' was ranked second in "The 10 Most Innovative Tech Products of 2011" at Popular Mechanics Breakthrough Awards ceremony in New York City.[182][183]
  • Microsoft Kinect for Windows won Innovation of the Year in the 2012 Seattle 2.0 Startup Awards.[184]
(Source: Wikipedia)

WaterAstro

Sales
While announcing Kinect's discontinuation in an interview with Fast Co. Design on October 25, 2017, Microsoft stated that 35 million units had been sold since its release.[10] 24 million units of Kinect had been shipped by February 2013.[170] Having sold 8 million units in its first 60 days on the market, Kinect claimed the Guinness World Record of being the "fastest selling consumer electronics device".[171][172][173][174] According to Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter, Kinect bundles accounted for about half of all Xbox 360 console sales in December 2010 and for more than two-thirds in February 2011.[175][176] More than 750,000 Kinect units were sold during the week of Black Friday 2011.[177][178]

Awards
  • The machine learning work on human motion capture within Kinect won the 2011 MacRobert Award for engineering innovation.[179]
  • Kinect Won T3's "Gadget of the Year" award for 2011.[180] It also won the "Gaming Gadget of the Year" prize.[181]
  • 'Microsoft Kinect for Windows Software Development Kit' was ranked second in "The 10 Most Innovative Tech Products of 2011" at Popular Mechanics Breakthrough Awards ceremony in New York City.[182][183]
  • Microsoft Kinect for Windows won Innovation of the Year in the 2012 Seattle 2.0 Startup Awards.[184]
Okay, nice. Where's Kinect now? lol

natecuss

Neo Member
I'm wondering if Sunset Overdrive 2 will be multiplat or "first on xbox". I have a hard time believing MS would give the green to this game for full exclusivity when the first game didn't do so hot.
I don't car if it's exclusive or not the first game was amazing!! It is seriously one the best new game concepts, great humor, original games this gen so far. It's just good chaotic, color fun!

demigod

SoT is far from a bomb. It sold extremely well actually, as far as critical acclaim/reviews that's a bit of a different story.

SoT bombed, its not even in the top 10 NPD yearly. Do you have numbers or are you going off Mr. Greenberg? Show me receipts where it didn't bomb.

natecuss

Neo Member
No, I don't think Sunset Overdrive 2 is happening because Insomniac owns the IP and Spiderman is not finished. I have never known Insomniac to be a multi-game development studio, so Sunset Overdrive 2 seems extremely false.
I could see them announcing Sunset 2. Spiderman is probably is in a debugging, polish and post-production state. They could probably leave 10-20% of their team on Spider man and they could have already started pre-production on Sunset 2.

WaterAstro

I could see them announcing Sunset 2. Spiderman is probably is in a debugging, polish and post-production state. They could probably leave 10-20% of their team on Spider man and they could have already started pre-production on Sunset 2.
Nah, that's not how it works. If anything, it's more like 5% of the team would be available for the next game. If they were to announce something, they would just show some logo.

Polishing a game is actually a majority of development. Building features and all that is easier in comparison because polishing means making it work perfectly. Bugs pop up, and fixing them causes more bugs, and fixing those bugs could cause more bugs, and the studio is literally drowning in bugs that would take forever to clean out, especially an open world game.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
SoT bombed, its not even in the top 10 NPD yearly. Do you have numbers or are you going off Mr. Greenberg? Show me receipts where it didn't bomb.
Yeah...I dunno. It's not totally direct comparison but with Gamepass we are sort of in a weird area again like when digital game sales we're not being included in sales data...it's just even more obfuscated with a service like Gamepass. So we are not really getting the full picture.

Fox Mulder

Sales

Awards

no one cares about that. It sold millions out of the gate on the 360 with avatar and dance games, but sunk the xb1 at launch with a weaker and more expensive console than the ps4. The kinect is completely gone now.

VAL0R

Banned
Yeah...I dunno. It's not totally direct comparison but with Gamepass we are sort of in a weird area again like when digital game sales we're not being included in sales data...it's just even more obfuscated with a service like Gamepass. So we are not really getting the full picture.
Yeah, Game Pass is a huge factor. I love SoT and play it on GP and will never purchase it.

Last edited:
Fable Legends not working out isn't exactly a good reason to completely destroy the studio without giving them a chance or support. Sony spent a ton of money on the PS3 days on MAG, Heavenly Sword, and Lair. They gave them a chance before cutting the partnership, and in MAG's case, closing the studio. I guess you could say they gave Fable Legends a chance because it was played in beta phase, but they definitely did not support them well enough.

Scalebound and Phantom Dust is just a waste. Microsoft is willing to throw away billion dollar investments (The Kin phone, Windows Phone, etc) that money shouldn't be that big of an issue. If Sony was okay investing in projects like Lair or Heavenly Sword, then Microsoft should be too now that they're playing catch up. It's not about the money. It's about just having more games no matter the cost. They have to flip the mentality of the current player base that Xbox actually has a lot more games than we think it does because it currently doesn't.

Obviously, Microsoft isn't going to tell us exactly how much has sold or how many people are playing right now. All they have is that 2 million player announcement, fastest selling whatever, but without concrete details of whether it was gamepass or full price, or how many people are still playing because that is important for them now that Microtransactions are coming into play. They haven't said anything since the launch period, and, for me, the omission of the break down and actual sales numbers means the game done poorly. It's like when Microsoft and Insomniac said they are happy with Sunset Overdrive sales and left it at that when it obviously bombed. If the game did bonkers well, then they would have came out, like God of War, saying it sold millions.

It's also not gut instinct because a game like this should be getting a lot of viewers on Twitch. It's only got about a thousand viewers. I consider this game pretty similar to the idea around DayZ, where the fun really comes when there are player encounters, but even DayZ has 30k viewers right now. Online games thrive on active communities, more so for PVP oriented games, and just doing a quick google on some recent feedback, I just see complaints about the lack of players.

In terms of money, Microsoft can take way more risks than Sony. They take risks all the time on stupid things. Buy Nokia for gazillions and then shut them down. In terms of gaming related stuff, the Kinect was an utter failure, and I'm pretty sure Hololens is going to the ground. They just need to make smart investments in their risk, which Sony has been able to do many times.

For someone who has yet shown any positivity in Microsoft/Xbox topics you sure have a vested interest in pretty much EVERY topic about them. You even complained about the rumor the E3 is 2 hours long. You keep saying they need games well maybe this year they have a lot to show. No matter what the topic is or the conversation you will put your pessimism's out there like clockwork. The fact is Sea of Thieves has proven you wrong. This is what you said pre-launch,

WaterAstro - "Unfortunately, that's not how corporations work. They worry about money more than their players. If the game doesn't do well, Microsoft won't be interested in continuing support for it.
They'll put a skeleton crew on it and ride out the game in its current state. No Man's Sky is indie, and they have integrity, so they supported their game despite the negativity at launch."

Rare now has 4 different teams working on content around the clock and yet you want to continue beating this game into the ground. You will do the same when Crackdown 3 comes out as well, negative post after negative post every day, it's the same pattern over and over again. You have way too much time on your hands and this vendetta you have against Microsoft is so obvious. The main guy from No Man's Sky went into the witness protection program for about a year, unlike Rare who is always giving out updates and continues to provide feedback videos.

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
For someone who has yet shown any positivity in Microsoft/Xbox topics you sure have a vested interest in pretty much EVERY topic about them. You even complained about the rumor the E3 is 2 hours long. You keep saying they need games well maybe this year they have a lot to show. No matter what the topic is or the conversation you will put your pessimism's out there like clockwork. The fact is Sea of Thieves has proven you wrong. This is what you said pre-launch,

WaterAstro - "Unfortunately, that's not how corporations work. They worry about money more than their players. If the game doesn't do well, Microsoft won't be interested in continuing support for it.
They'll put a skeleton crew on it and ride out the game in its current state. No Man's Sky is indie, and they have integrity, so they supported their game despite the negativity at launch."

Rare now has 4 different teams working on content around the clock and yet you want to continue beating this game into the ground. You will do the same when Crackdown 3 comes out as well, negative post after negative post every day, it's the same pattern over and over again. You have way too much time on your hands and this vendetta you have against Microsoft is so obvious. The main guy from No Man's Sky went into the witness protection program for about a year, unlike Rare who is always giving out updates and continues to provide feedback videos.

/Agreed.

noqtic

Hopefully Sunset Overdrive 2 improves on the original, got repetitive for me around Act 3, and hopefully there is a PC version since I no longer own an Xbox 1.

This is where I stop you. Cyberpunk 2077 is a cross gen title and been known for a long time.
I'm not following. I never mentioned Cyberpunk 2077. I'm simply stating that announcing a brand new sequel at e3 this year would make no sense if that sequel is for next gen consoles. Which could be multiple years away and MS doesn't want to do the early game announcements anymore. Cyberpunk 2077 has been in the works and known for a bit, and as a cross-gen title, it makes sense for that game to be talked about right now. Or are you saying that Insomniac could do a SO2 game and make it cross-gen? That's definitely more feasible. And in no way am I saying that's in the works, I'm just speaking hypothetically.
My personal prediction here is that Fable and Perfect Dark are being created in mind as both launch titles for the next system.

I really think these 2 particular games should either not be released on Xbox One or be played as cross gen title if they are since MS is really pushing the backwards/forward compatibility.

This will make the next Xbox Launch look extremely solid. The ship has kind of sailed for Xbox One if you ask me. It's already clear theyre too far behind on games. Crackdown 3, ori and the new Halo will be a good way to cap this generation off for MS and move on to better and bigger things come 2020. Just a wild guess maybe Gears 5 is also a launch title and they wanna go all out,. But that's just a guess.
Yeah, that's a given, but I don't think MS is trying to make anything happen specifically. All they can do is continue to work on new games and go with the flow until next gen arrives. I'd really like to see one new big title/new IP put out for the xbox one if possible. Perfect Dark or Splinter Cell might make a lot of people happy, but I really want something new and not related to the fps or 3rd person shooter genre. I want something more akin to zelda and metroid prime's open world exploration. I realize that's not likely though lol. Also, it will be interesting to see where The Last NIght is at.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Hopefully Sunset Overdrive 2 improves on the original, got repetitive for me around Act 3, and hopefully there is a PC version since I no longer own an Xbox 1.
This has been debunked, Sunset Overdrive 2 isn't in development unfortunately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom