• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mid-Gen Upgrades for PS5 and Xbox Series X devkits have been received by most AAA studios, according to GTA Forum insider

reinking

Gold Member
Xbox Series XY

They/Them will not be amused.
Just call it Kyle....

R.93267380d2f9393ee2404681cac0305c

Spyxos

I am getting plenty out of current gen systems - titles like Demons Souls, Returnal, Ratchet and Clank and FF7 Remake Interlude.

I play my Series X more though, due to Game Pass and how fast it is to resume and switch games around.
Yeah, i have played all this games. I also just use more the gamepass right now.
It feels like this whole year I've only played Elden Ring, which is no graphic miracle, but it was fun.

I couldn't do much with Horizon and otherwise there were somehow only smaller indie games.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
spongebob-stupid.jpg

and how exactly would you make a next gen worthy performance jump affordable in that timeframe? And why on earth would console makers cut their gens short with such a slow start thanks to corona and co?
i am not in favour of mid gen refresh and that speculated date seems unlikely to me

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

LordOfChaos

We still have so few current gen only games, people are still struggling to buy the consoles, and pandemic may have set development back, it definitely feels unnecessary for a while, current gen hardly feels tapped out yet, still feels like very early days

The 8th gen got refreshes because of 4K, which is still the most 99.99% of us are doing. I guess what a refresh could do is bring ray tracing performance alongside the current framerate/resolution modes so you don't give up so much to get RT, but still, I'd first rather see developers starting to truly tap out what we have, and PC JUST got GPU decompression so we should see more games using that in the next few years as all powerful platforms support it

rofif

Banned
Would they make and send out all new Devkits to all the AAA Devs for just a smaller footprint?

I am legit asking btw
Probably not just for smaller footprint but maybe many other improvements, heat, power and so on?
I've seen the ps5 devkit video few weeks ago as some youtuber got a hold of it. It's massive and weird.
Maybe having 2-3x smaller devkits will help for every dev to have one on their desk.
Or Sony makes new devkits cheaper (if it really is just new devkits and not devkits of new model)

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Okay, but what the hell is the point when there's still so many cross gen titles that need to be designed around the lowest common denominator specs?

There aren't enough games out yet that utilize the current gen to its best potential and push it to the limits.

angrod14

There's eventually a cutoff point with cross-gen. The other scenario (with the S) is here to stay.
I wouldn't take that for granted. MS might discontinue the S at some point in the future, if sales don't reach their expectations.

Last edited:

vivftp

I'm certain that mid-gen refreshes will occur simply because they seemed to work out well last time, and neither company wants to risk not having one if the other company should release one.

I'm more curious how the tech may advance and if by 2024/2025 we might see portable consoles built on 3nm nodes. Personally I'd buy the fuck out of a PS5 Portable should one be created.

Also, I'm very curious if the Sony/Honda EV's that're scheduled for 2025 might have a PS5 built in. If they manage to build a (relatively) low power model suitable for a portable handheld, I could see them also including that unit in the EV's to handle all the media and entertainment functions.

Jimmy_liv

Give me new hardware now! I'd glady pay a kings ransom for a new machine.... But..... When games are still being released cross gen its annoying.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
exactly, and they know that too

the ad hominem is tiring
Matrix is the only next gen thing out right now and they give zero shits about making it work on the series s. In fact, MS had to send Coalition studios just to get the demo running on the series s, and even after all that it drops significantly below 533p.

Metro Exodus's path tracing version also runs below 512p on the series s. No one cares about this console enough to hamstring themselves. The only thing holding back next gen are the PS4 and X1 and morons who target native 4k 30-50 fps on next gen only games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not really. The PS4 Pro launched exactly 3 years after the base model.
The slim launched first though. I am thinking the supply chain issues delayed things by a year minimum. Since that is how long it takes to even get certain cars you want built due to those very issues.

HTK

Banned
I want this to be true and I’m ready for it. For those that haven’t gotten a PS5 yet I’ll sell you mine once I get the Pro. 😂

For Microsoft i think the alpha kit is just a prototype with slightly beefed-up specs: Zen3+, RDNA3, slightly more ram and bandwidth with the same OS.

If I recall, before the release of Xbox series S/X it was just a generic Zen1 or Zen1+ CPU, with RDNA 1 and same OS from Xbox One and One X.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
it would be dumb to launch mid-gen consoles on 24/25 , they should launch ps6 or the next xbox by then
You want PS6 & Xbox LGBTX within the next 2 years.
We haven't even started this gen, PS5/XSX is currently being financed by lastgen offerings and has yet to move out and do things on their own.
There should be a minimum, a MINIMUM!
of 4 years of current gen only games before even thinking about what Nextgen would look like.
If any successor is released within the next 4 years it would be a admittance of failure for this gen.
We need generational leap, not a top up in specs to maintain peoples obsession for 60fps and higher.

Expected. For PS5 I am expecting end of 2023 release and using 5nm + chiplets (2x PS5 GPUs and everything upclocked compared to PS5 + a few exotic novelties).

I bloody hope so im a console guy but Plague Tale R and Gotham Knights both being locked into 30fps modes doesn’t look good and I’d happily pay up to 1k for a 4k60 machine.

Don’t make me get a gaming PC please!
In my case i don’t want pc a main platform cause for some reason you can’t buy discs anymore on that platform so im willing to drop up to 700 on a pro in 2024 that uses rdna 4

mansoor1980

Gold Member
You want PS6 & Xbox LGBTX within the next 2 years.
We haven't even started this gen, PS5/XSX is currently being financed by lastgen offerings and has yet to move out and do things on their own.
There should be a minimum, a MINIMUM!
of 4 years of current gen only games before even thinking about what Nextgen would look like.
If any successor is released within the next 4 years it would be a admittance of failure for this gen.
We need generational leap, not a top up in specs to maintain peoples obsession for 60fps and higher.
ideally i would want them to ANNOUNCE next gen consoles by the end of 2025 , and no mid gen refresh until then

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
They can barely bring current consoles out to the customers. In a time where everything is expensive to produce, they would release a mid gen refresh when the adaption is so low and there's really no next gen games?

I mean, it's possible devs already got these test kits, but that doesn't mean they will release in the near future.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
fine with me too , a big generational jump is better anyways
Yeah, mid generation HW are getting less and less useful IMHO unless the base console was really flawed the mid generation console gets little but bruteforced support and again HW performance improvements’ pace is slowing down and costing more and more.

Mid generation consoles for consumers do not make a huge amount of sense :/.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If it’s something like Xbox One and Xbox One S, I feel it’s possible.
Xbox One S was slightly better than Xbox One.
These rumors kind of started back in March (I think) that these kits were starting to come together as pretty sure there was a post on GAF here with Redgamingtech going over the tech specs and such that he was hearing.

People (myself included) thought the current Series S was first in line to get a refresh then we would see the Pro versions but it seems like these are indeed pro versions of current consoles

Timing seems about right with when the rumors started of the pro variants and AAA devs now having them

If more people are getting access to these consoles we should be hearing a lot more about them

splattered

Really hope this is right... If the Ps5 Pro is smaller I will finally jump back on the PlayStation train, and I will gladly upgrade a couple of my Series X to Series X Pro. Don't care if they are $800 systems.

DaGwaphics

Yeah, mid generation HW are getting less and less useful IMHO unless the base console was really flawed the mid generation console gets little but bruteforced support and again HW performance improvements’ pace is slowing down and costing more and more.

Mid generation consoles for consumers do not make a huge amount of sense :/.

And yet people are lined up around the block to get a 4090 for $1600. If consumers want the upgrades, I doubt companies would mind having a higher priced product on hand to sell them.

FUBARx89

If this is true I won't be bothering this time.

I have a series x and ps5. I don't see any point of doing a mid gen refresh this time since I'm not just a blue rat or whatever.

Top Bottom