• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: More Sega 3D Classics leaked from 3D Gunstar Heroes' RAM?

The list makes no sense from a programming perspective. Why on earth would game code include serial numbers or headers for other games? I could see names being in memory if they were making it all in one big code base or creating them in multi-game packs, but neither of those cases would ever need a serial number or header for every game.

entremet

MUSHA & the SMS 3D games would be no-brainers for me, lotta quality there though

yeah, this really would be amazing if done half as well as Galaxy Froce

god, this so hard...still never got a chance to play it
It was a treat in the arcades.

There's always emulation.

Great soundtrack too.

n64coder

Claiming to have found it "in the RAM" is probably the most sketch thing about the entire list.

my first reaction was skepticism but thinking about it some more, it could be that he found strings in the common emulator code.

AmyS

I hope it's Golden Axe System 16 arcade version.

Edit: I don't see Thunder Force IV on that list, but damn, that game was made to be made in 3D.

june_is_boss_month_sig__2__thunder_force_iv_by_the_coop-d8lhpkt.gif

mclem

The list makes no sense from a programming perspective. Why on earth would game code include serial numbers or headers for other games? I could see names being in memory if they were making it all in one big code base or creating them in multi-game packs, but neither of those cases would ever need a serial number or header for every game.

While I am also sceptical, I should point out that each Sega 3D Classic has the same unified frontend, so if he was poking through the frontend interface, it's possible that those contain vestiges of references to the other games that have also used that frontend, with new titles just added to the end of an internal list.

That said, if that is the case, all that's really proven here is that they've been experimenting with those titles - it doesn't establish any intent to publish them. Indeed, it may well mean that they're titles they've already tested and rejected.

Roto13

Pfft. Shining Force. Yeah, right. Like they're going to do a 3D classic of a 3/4 overview game.

Toejam & Earl, too, for that matter.

Oh cool, the remaining 3D Master System games. Wonder if this means Japan's getting a second retail package~

(I hope so, since the first one was the only reason I bought a Japanese 3DS!)

Percy

Banned
Does anyone actually like Comix Zone? That game was trash even when it first came out, yet Sega keep bringing it back.

Disappointed no Sonic 3D either, just so I could see how they name it.

djlr181

Pretty sure M2 has stated that the Genesis version of Golden Axe would be impossible to translate to 3D. If the list is indeed legit, I wonder if it's more games that M2 has made tests with to see if they would work in 3D.

Comic Zone would be amazing in 3D.

20cent

Banned
M.U.S.H.A. in 3D? Now everyone can play the greatest SHMUP EVAR!
And soundtrack

lvjsNnO.gif

oh wow yes it is indeed, it was the first game I bought randomly for the MD because Altered Beast was sold out (lol what was I thinking).
No any other shmup could reach the same level of graphics/design/soundtrack for me until Raystorm on PS1. This is a truly exciting news (if true).

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm pretty sure this list is fake but even if it's not, it correlates with an internal shortlist they made when initiating the project and doesn't really suggest these games are coming in the future, just that they were in consideration at one point.

While I am also sceptical, I should point out that each Sega 3D Classic has the same unified frontend, so if he was poking through the frontend interface, it's possible that those contain vestiges of references to the other games that have also used that frontend, with new titles just added to the end of an internal list.

That said, if that is the case, all that's really proven here is that they've been experimenting with those titles - it doesn't establish any intent to publish them. Indeed, it may well mean that they're titles they've already tested and rejected.
That's why I could see it having game names, but not headers or serial numbers. Serial numbers are something the cartridge needs once for the 3DS to identify it, it serves no other purpose, and I *think* is even created by Nintendo themselves to make sure no two games have the same one.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure he just took titles the devs mentioned in interviews and strung together some bullshit. They've already given detailed explanations for why several of those games didn't happen to begin with.

RedToad64

I'd love to be able to play Toejam & Earl on 3DS... but this is a really sketchy list. Why would these titles be in the game?

sörine

Banned
Does Sega own the rights to Compile's software?
Only Puyo Puyo, which reverted entirely to Sega when Compile folded. D4 had bought the rest of Compile's catalog although I remember hearing recently that Idea Factory bought the rights from them and have since done nothing with them except that mediocre Sorcery Saga game.

Shining force and landstalker with the 3D treatment?

I want them so much, a bit surprised not to see sonic 3& knuckles in that list though

@MUWANdo

Banned
sörine;177898916 said:
Only Puyo Puyo, which reverted entirely to Sega when Compile folded. D4 had bought the rest of Compile's catalog although I remember hearing recently that Idea Factory bought the rights from them and have since done nothing with them except that mediocre Sorcery Saga game.

It's a weird license that I never fully understood and haven't really looked at in a while, but I think the gist of it was that D4 still owns them but they granted Compile Heart a license to make new games based off some old Compile IP.

Top Bottom