• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: MS launching Xbox One Mini in October (Truckloads of salt)

hom3land

Actually wish they made a 360 mini. Need a device that has a TWC app for bedroom tv and either going for a 360 slim or Roku. Leaning towards roku, but if they made a small 360, i could sneak a gaming console into the bedroom.

So I guess this rumour turned out to be false or is it just delayed? Any new information?

MauryLaughing.gif

Alx

There's a console for those of you who want a smaller console.

It's called Xbox 360.

I would rather buy a smaller, quieter 360 than a mini-One, to be honest. The One is fine as it is, but by comparison the 360 noise level became very annoying.

RedSwirl

I'm slightly surprised there already hasn't been a PlayStation or Xbox without an optical drive at this point honestly. I imagined there would be a digital-only PS3 or Xbox 360 late in their lifespans. A ton of the PS3's retail library and certainly a large chunk of the 360's retail library is available digitally, plus huge libraries of digital-only games. Sure you'd miss out on some retail games, but each system has big enough digital library to warrant a cheap console model.

Now that we're in a state where every game get's at least a digital release, I always imagined at least one of the two companies would push out a model without an optical drive this generation, especially if they can significantly drop costs. What if dropping it allowed Microsoft to beat Sony to the $299 price point?

Another reason to do this would be as an excuse for Microsoft to push digital harder than before. If it knows it has customers who are absolutely digital-only and engaged with the Xbox store, it'll try to push more products in the eyes to those players. One reason Valve is so much more aggressive with its digital distribution (frequent sales, pre-order bonuses, four-packs, free weekends, special events, etc.) is because it doesn't have to worry about retail at all. At least Microsoft would have some segment of its user base for which it doesn't have to worry about retail.

And at this stage a digital-only console should have a sticker on the box that says "Minimum 100Mbp/s Internet Connection Strongly Reccomended." Too many people still have shitty internet and data caps for someone to launch an entire console that's digital-only, but a digital-only SKU would at least be convenient for people who have fast internet. If my math isn't off 100Mbp/s should be enough to download a 40 or 50GB game in under half an hour.

Top Bottom