• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Necromancer leaked for Diablo 3?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Now it's clear to me! The four sided dice! Diablo 2 using Diablo 3 engine on PS4 and XB1 confirmed. :]

Im surprised you didnt end the post with HalfLife 3 confirmed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, we can go through the three possibilities pretty quickly:

1.) Blizzard has officially announced that after a year long drought, they're restarting content patches for Diablo 3. The Necromancer would be way beyond the scope of anything they've done in a content patch before, but we do know there's new D3 content coming.

2.) It is true they're patching their old games and adding some content. A gender swap model wouldn't be out of the question, but they haven't given the impression that their old game updates are especially large scale so far.

3.) The Necromancer could be a class in Diablo 4. They've been pretty clear with job postings that they've been working on it, but it's not clear if it's ready to show at Blizzcon. Diablo 4 would of course have new and/or returning classes, so the scope would fit perfectly there.

Ashodin

Doesn't the D2 HD remaster rumor originate from the job posting last year?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11...re-warcraft-3-diablo-2-and-starcraft-to-glory

"“Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation. We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.”"

It'll most likely be a re-release instead of an overhaul or anything like that. People are hoping for too much here.

Nirolak: Necro being the first class revealed for D4 would huge, I think. After missing D3 it would be equivalent to a "Damn, it's about time" reveal like Starcraft 2

Arkeband

Banned

1.) Blizzard has officially announced that after a year long drought, they're restarting content patches for Diablo 3. The Necromancer would be way beyond the scope of anything they've done in a content patch before, but we do know there's new D3 content coming.

2.) It is true they're patching their old games and adding some content. A gender swap model wouldn't be out of the question, but they haven't given the impression that their old game updates are especially large scale so far.

3.) The Necromancer could be a class in Diablo 4. They've been pretty clear with job postings that they've been working on it, but it's not clear if it's ready to show at Blizzcon. Diablo 4 would of course have new and/or returning classes, so the scope would fit perfectly there.

...you think patching in gender swaps to D2 is more likely than a second D3 expansion?

Instro

Could be that the necromancer is leftover from an unreleased expansion, so they finished it up for a major(last?) content patch. I'm going to bet on D4 though.

AwRy108

Would also welcome a few more acts and server-side saves for the PS4 (game is currently a hacker's wet dream), but won't complain about any added D3 content.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
...you think patching in gender swaps to D2 is more likely than a second D3 expansion?
Yes, because the last two major content patches felt like they were from a canceled expansion pack, and a few months before the first of those released, Blizzard started talking as if another expansion was quite unlikely versus just having more patches. Even Blizzard's Blizzcon schedule just talks about more Diablo 3 patches throughout 2017 instead of anything hinting at an expansion.

Could be that the necromancer is leftover from an unreleased expansion, so they finished it up for a major(last?) content patch. I'm going to bet on D4 though.
Possibly, though I kind of wonder why they wouldn't have released it with the other stuff. Maybe it needed a lot more work, but Diablo 4 is going to take notably longer than they first thought, and thus they want to give something more meaningful to Diablo 3 players in the meantime.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
necromancer would make me:

buy diablo 4
buy diablo 3 xpac
go back to diablo 3

however you access him

Kudo

What are the chances this is Diablo 4 related? I'm quite done with Diablo 3 but brand new game could bring me back..

Horp

Necro in D3 would be strange. So many overlapping skills withh WD. Would both have corpse explosion fpr example?
D2 remaster or D4 more likely.

Seronei

Kripp seemed fairly certain they were announcing Diablo 4 at Blizzcon. How are people so sure it's not happening, did I miss something?

Thoraxes

Hell, it could be a D2 remade in the D3 engine with both genders playable.

Kripp seemed fairly certain they were announcing Diablo 4 at Blizzcon. How are people so sure it's not happening, did I miss something?
Hasn't even been 5 years since D3 iirc.

Seronei

5 years is a long time though, I realize Blizzard often takes ages between sequels but most sequels is released quicker than that. Also Blizzard has a history of announcing their titles pretty early, could still be 2018 release even if announced this Blizzcon.

Let me have a thousand useless skeletons on screen at once. No limits.

It has to be like the old Necro or it's shit. None of this Witchdoctor need an item/set bullshit. I want to summon 20 fucking skeletons and 10 revived monsters and have them do the work while I cast Amp Damage or whatever.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'd be back in if they brought the Necromancer to D3.

5 years is a long time though, I realize Blizzard often takes ages between sequels but most sequels is released quicker than that. Also Blizzard has a history of announcing their titles pretty early, could still be 2018 release even if announced this Blizzcon.

Yeah, but they gotta wait at least another 7 years before releasing Diablo 4

badb0y

It was never intended that Diablo 2/LoD would take ~12 years to get a sequel. IIRC, a bunch of people from Blizzard North left which caused the shutdown of that studio and development being moved to Blizzard Irvine. There, they tried to continue development where it was left off but anyone looking at the design of Blizzard North and Blizzard Irvine can see there's a very big difference between the studios. This caused the development of Diablo 3 being scrapped and restarted completely.

The outfit design reminds me a bit of...

567a17e458e84359981afe02750f66b6.png

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think even Necromancers could get me back into Diablo 3. Rather it be D4 or D2 rewhatever.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
The outfit design reminds me a bit of...

567a17e458e84359981afe02750f66b6.png

Yeah. In a bad way too.

Still I liked the Necro in D2 even if I was hot trash at playing it, so whatever. BRING ON THE EDGELORD SUPREME! You throught Reaper was Edgy(TM), WAIT TILL YOU SEE THIS GUY!

Or we could have it both ways : an expac for D3 that somehow bridges to D4 and keeps the franchise front and center, with Necromancer in both. One can dream.

Skab

Necro in D3 would be strange. So many overlapping skills withh WD. Would both have corpse explosion fpr example?
D2 remaster or D4 more likely.

WD doesnt have CE.

I have no idea why people say they overlap. Theyre actually quite different.

It's like saying hunters and warlocks overlap too much in wow. Or that the necro and druid overlapped in D2.

Akai XIII

As much as I love D3, the necromancer doesn't do anything for me. Didn't like it in D2 and I'm not overly keen on pet builds/classes.

Still, if it brings new content and reinvigorates Diablo, then sure, I'm all for it.

Sawneeks

Banned
Honestly any way this goes I'm just ready for more Diablo

Diablo 2 HD
Diablo 3 DLC
Diablo 4

I'll be happy with any of these outcomes.

Top Bottom