• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) New Splinter Cell in development, Michael Ironside returning as Sam Fisher

Those three green lights aren't exclusive to Sam Fisher canonically and very, very few developers in 2016 have a mascot. Ubisoft isn't one of them. And if they did have any Sam Fisher wouldn't be one of them.

Mascot was the wrong word, he is Ubisoft's most Iconic character.

RedSwirl

I guess their is always a chance, with the ever-growing success of Rainbow Six Siege-which I would rank somewhere between Vegas and Raven Shield-maybe they'll pull something similar.

But Ubisoft is very aware how alienating a stealth game can be, especially ones that require an abundance of patience.
https://medium.com/@michaelgapper/asymmetric-warfare-9622e5f84185#.j6g4vzbfx

To be honest, Peace Walker is pretty much the template for what I thought Ubisoft would eventually do with Splinter Cell. MGSV is basically the Ubisoft formula done better and for a stealth game. I wouldn't mind if Splinter Cell was just that without the crazy anime storyline.

But to be real I just want Spies vs Mercs back.

What if he's in the game, but you play as a younger person? I could see two things from that. A: You are a new character and a retired Sam Fisher is your mentor/commander or B: You play as young Sam Fisher, but there are moments in the present where old Sam Fisher is recounting the past. I think either would be neat.

YESSS

Blacklist was fantastic

JitteryCavernousCavy-size_restricted.gif

Yeah I liked the last two. Didn't realise they changed the voice actor... :p

Remember the dark old days when Sam didn't know CQC and when you walked up to a guard you're screwed? lol

Nielm

Holy shit, I hope this is true.

I'm playing Chaos Theory right now, and Michael Ironside is fantastic in it. He is irreplaceable as Sam Fisher.

If it's done in the style of Blacklist with Ironside as Sam, 60fps and Spies v. Mercs, I'll sell my first and second unborn children for it.

WHOA.

That would be fucking awesome to have Ironside for one more game.
Before he inevitably dies. :( I will be so fucking sad.

He loves the character from all the interviews I've seen, the only time he seemed really unhappy with doing one of the games it would definitely have been Conviction. That said he put his effort into the role each and every time even though Conviction sucked,(as a Splinter Cell game) the performance was great.

Blacklist was a lot better than Conviction, but still not Chaos Theory 2.

I recently replayed Chaos Theory and it amazes me how well it holds up overall.

If they do another game I hope they go back to the core formula and style, and I say that as someone who doesn't even really like Splinter Cell to begin with.
Every single MGS game is better by a factor of 20.

It's going to be like MGSV with Ubisoft open world trite isn't it?
Mgsv didn't have that though and everybody missed the point of its incredibly ground breaking mission design and whined that there was nothing to do. The lack of generic open world collect the dots shit was what made mgsv an actually infesting open world game. The open world was actually crucial to the mission design, unlike any other open world game before or since.

Please just be a straight up Splinter Cell game for the love of science. Darkness, atmosphere, light and sound manipulation, unique and memorable locations, subdued storytelling. I'm really afraid that they'll try to reinvent the franchise because Blacklist slightly underperformed, which was more an "end of a long, tired generation" problem than a game quality problem..

spiderferi

Please be like Chaos Theory. :((

Blacklist was fine tho, but the gameplay's pace was really fast. Everything was so fast for an Splinter Cell game, at least the stealth approach needs to be a lot less pacey.

Plus, Blacklist's story sucked hard. that bossfight in the end. -_-

Yeah, I honestly couldn't see them making more games with guy who voiced Sam in Blacklist.

A lot of fans liked/accepted the change from Hayter to Kiefer for MGSV. I haven't seen anyone defend Blacklist fisher. He just sounded terrible all around.

Yeah, I honestly couldn't see them making more games with guy who voiced Sam in Blacklist.

He just sounded terrible all around. A lot of fans liked/accepted the changed from Hayter to Kiefer for MGSV. I haven't see anyone defend blacklist fisher.

They did? You could have fooled me.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Mgsv didn't have that though and everybody missed the point of its incredibly ground breaking mission design and whined that there was nothing to do. The lack of generic open world collect the dots shit was what made mgsv an actually infesting open world game. The open world was actually crucial to the mission design, unlike any other open world game before or since.
But you still did have a lot of shit to collect and outposts to clear out, having empty space between the interesting bits is not groundbreaking, (hello, Red Dead, Shadow of the Colossus), certainly not the way it was used in MGSV, where the world actively goes against the narrative. You never spot a single rebel in the open world actually rebelling against the military force. Yet they constantly harp on your actions helping them out. It's the quietest warzone ever.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
UPDATE:

To throw a date on this: I did see Ironside and one his daughters at the TO studio last summer. This was just good timing, as I was there on other business.
I have two sources who worked on the set of The Space Between (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4682922/), which was shooting in TO. Ironside mentioned he was working on a new Splinter Cell. One source is someone I trust, the other is an acquaintance by degrees.
The movie shoot overlapped the same week as my encounter. As I understand it, he was here for the movie first and worked in the studio visit while in town.
None of us is bound by NDA over this, given our connections and circumstances, but it still feels shady to talk about since it's not official. I was surprised I hadn't seen this news from someone else by now, to be honest.
I know UbiSoft TO has a wonderful new mocap studio.
While I did express disappointment it wasn't shown at E3, this thing could be early along. I haven't seen actual in-game assets or production assets for myself (like the Syndicate extra timeline story). I don't know who is making it. I know other dev studios have used the mocap studio.
Remember Ubisoft studios collaborate often. The TO studio contributed content to Watch_Dogs 2, and For Honor also takes up a chunk there. I'd like to say this was another TO take on the franchise, but I will not until I know more.

Might be awhile before we see it.

Arklite

Where is this overwhelming negativity against Kiefer? Because I haven't seen it. There was some buzz before release, but I haven't seen many complain after GZ and TPP released.

Somehow missing the complaints doesn't mean they didn't exist, though it's true the issue was muted afterwards because Snake barely speaks in TPP. That's another complaint altogether. As for SC, I doubt they'd be given the budget to tackle open world anyway. Maybe they're looking at SE's episodic Hitman model.

Chola

Banned
Make levels Organic like MGSV. Dont gives us that highly scripted blacklist nonsense. It can look cool but quickly loses its novelty. Standard has been set really high by TPP.

The first three are the best.

Chaos Theory is the best if those.

Didn't like Conviction for a varity of reasons.

Blacklist was ok, but too action oriented. "Tagging" groups of enemies to take out at once sort of felt like they dumbed the game down to appeal to a wider action oriented audience. Blacklist is the Resident Evil 6 of Splinter Cell games. They went so actiony that they almost left the core formula behind. That may be a bit hyperbolic, but you get my point. I still enjoyed the game, but it wasn't as memorable as the older games. I remember levels from the first three games to this day. Can barely remember Blacklist and it is much, much newer than those first three.

I also weirdly feel like the camera has been more zoomed in on Sam ever since the series moved from Xbox to Xbox 360.

They need to add the multiplayer back and revisit what made Chaos Theory a masterpiece and go from there.

Hiring Ironside back is a step in the right direction, I think. I'd even be ok with a reboot at this point, and they could keep Ironside as the voice.

Sober

I'd be happy if we get back the anti-jingoist feel of the older games, and Fisher becomes a character again rather than generic protagonist man.
I hope that because they have Ironside back on board this is the case. No hate for the guy who played him in mo-cap for Blacklist but because Ironside wasn't involved I wasn't surprised Sam Fisher in SCBL was kinda gung ho about a lot of things like torture and stuff.

Make levels Organic like MGSV. Dont gives us that highly scripted blacklist nonsense. It can look cool but quickly loses its novelty. Standard has been set really high by TPP.
Blacklist is maybe about as scripted as all the other Splinter Cell games have been. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess

Absolutely great news. It wouldn't feel right having this gen go by without having a Splinter Cell game. Ironside being involved would be even more awesome. I hope they take a few notes Blacklist.

Chola

Banned
Blacklist is maybe about as scripted as all the other Splinter Cell games have been. So ¯_(ツ)_/¯ I guess
Older splinter cells had authenticity to it, blacklist had conveniently placed chest high walls and three enemies standing close to each other for the players to perform a cinematic headshots

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Now, while you have Ironside in the studio: Quickly throw money at him to do a Blacklist voice-over session and patch that in.

and throw some money at the fans that fixed Pandora Tomorrow PC and put that up on Steam/Uplay
, Ubisoft. >:|

So long as they continue to evolve the "Ghost"/"Panther"/"Assault" gameplay styles and DON'T force you have to do one over the others (there's a certain section in Blacklist you have to frustratingly "break"/glitch out to do an all-ghost run), I'd be fine with it. Blacklist honestly surprised me after how terrible (IMO) Conviction was with it's shootbang and no Stealth.

I can totally see Ubi using his voiceover as retailer exclusive or Uplay exclusive pre-order DLC. Or asking $5 to add the "classic" Sam voice to the game voice as DLC after launch.

Yea, sarcasm, but you know deep down that you can't put anything past Ubi.

Throwing in my love for Blacklist, fantastic and underrated game. I thought the new guy was fine but it did feel like a different character, not the original Sam Fisher. I'd like Ironside back, but I kinda want the new guy in there too somehow!

Top Bottom