• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Next Tomb Raider is Open-World, takes place in India

Draugoth

Gold Member
tomb-raider-4-crystal-dynamics.jpg

Information is from a TV Show/Movies Insider:

• "Generic Ubigame" structure.
  • 4 companions with their own habilities.
  • Open or semi-open world, not clear.
  • Lara would have a motorcycle, to make it easier for players to explore.
  • MMO elements.
  • 5 villains, very stereotypical, including a rich man, a mob boss, and two brothers.
  • Familiar characters returning, Jonah Maiava and Kurtis Trent.
  • Lara will have a skill tree with spells.
  • The game is a mix of various trends and genres.
Plot:

"A natural disaster strikes northern India revealing ancient emperor Ashoka's ruins and artifacts

Lara strategically races against a Society of Raiders and other rivals for these powerful relics"

"The Society of Raiders are inspired by Lara yet unaffiliated and might have some opposite agendas

This also relates to a new feature based on recruiting teams and allies to strategically aid you in missions and defeating rivals

There's emphasis on a new non-lethal combat option"

Source

Last edited:

Hudo

Why open-world?

If you really have to to try something new for that IP, make it a Metroidvania, with one big-ass temple/dungeon to explore and where the progression is gated by items and clues you find or something. With a focus on puzzle solving and spatial planning.
But for real, Tomb Raider worked best when you had bespoke levels that focused on spatial planning and puzzle solving with a light mixture of combat in it.

Majormaxxx

Why open-world?

If you really have to to try something new for that IP, make it a Metroidvania, with one big-ass temple/dungeon to explore and where the progression is gated by items and clues you find or something. With a focus on puzzle solving and spatial planning.
But for real, Tomb Raider worked best when you had bespoke levels that focused on spatial planning and puzzle solving with a light mixture of combat in it.
Probably for monetization purposes

feynoob

No need and sorry if my remark was interpreted as a jab. It was a joke.

As for growing up - inevitable but the hours I spend gaming - I spend them to remain young in spirit (or even younger with retro games).
If you feel old, retro games are your best friend.

I can't handle current games because of the eye candy graphics.

RickSanchez

Why open-world?

Tomb Raider worked best when you had bespoke levels that focused on spatial planning and puzzle solving with a light mixture of combat in it.
Exactly. The best part of every Tomb Raider game is exploring hand crafted environments that were rich in variety and exploration avenues, but still features linear progression. You lose some of that charm when you go open world. I'm so fucking tired of this trait of every big game wanting to be open world. Please stop it. I am now immediately skeptical about this one.

RickSanchez

She still looks amazing in the games, but we will still have to see if they downgrade her(and i'm specially worried after the table top drama)

GBy55r1WcAArVhS
e06f6a6b67b7fd97671063a7a613622a.jpg
a8xh0sovyvf51.jpg
FToEVdUX0AALkWS.jpg:large
Agreed, Lara looked beautiful in Rise and Shadow. And i am almost certain they are somehow going to make her look worse in the new game. If that sketch in the OP is anything to go by, it looks bad.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
the open world sections of the last 3 were the worst bits
Agreed, and I worry it will have lots of random combat so Lara ends up a murder machine rather than having limited combat only when necessary.

Granted, the combat was pretty fun in those Rise games, especially thwocking someone with an arrow, but damn she left a string o'bodies in her wake (and not the good kind of body count).

Exactly. The best part of every Tomb Raider game is exploring hand crafted environments that were rich in variety and exploration avenues, but still features linear progression. You lose some of that charm when you go open world. I'm so fucking tired of this trait of every big game wanting to be open world. Please stop it. I am now immediately skeptical about this one.

This is why it's going open world. It's easier to make a bland open world than a game with an interesting level design. Also, it's a makeup for the story, which will be awful.

Top Bottom