• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Next Tomb Raider is Open-World, takes place in India

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why open-world?

If you really have to to try something new for that IP, make it a Metroidvania, with one big-ass temple/dungeon to explore and where the progression is gated by items and clues you find or something. With a focus on puzzle solving and spatial planning.
But for real, Tomb Raider worked best when you had bespoke levels that focused on spatial planning and puzzle solving with a light mixture of combat in it.
That’s what they did with the last reboot. Shadow has very little combat and is mostly exploration.

Hudo

She still looks amazing in the games, but we will still have to see if they downgrade her(and i'm specially worried after the table top drama)

GBy55r1WcAArVhS
e06f6a6b67b7fd97671063a7a613622a.jpg
a8xh0sovyvf51.jpg
FToEVdUX0AALkWS.jpg:large
I mean, I'd date her.

Bond007

Sounds like Just Cause
Meh.

Guess we shall see. Im a big fan of the series but i havent been in love with any since Tomb Raider Legend and the first in the new trilogy.

Hudo

That’s what they did with the last reboot. Shadow has very little combat and is mostly exploration.
Haven't played the last reboot series because it in the gameplay footage I've seen, it looked to me that they wanted to make it more like Uncharted. But maybe I need to rectify this.

Bond007

Haven't played the last reboot series because it in the gameplay footage I've seen, it looked to me that they wanted to make it more like Uncharted. But maybe I need to rectify this.
You def arent wrong. But they are good games imo

Darsxx82

I will save my opinion for when it is shown and there is official information. At first, I couldn't assimilate an open world TR as good or bad🤷🏻

Why?... Not the India part, that's fine. Even though it is derivative of Uncharted something something (The one with Chloe as the protagonist).

But why open world? Why add more bloat and mediocrity to Tomb Raider, after Rise and Shadow? Two of the most mediocre games in the series (to me)

Also the whole thing recently about Lara being transformed into a respectable and culturally sensitive "Raider", is so fucking boring.

Lara has always been a selfish asshole, and that's part of what made her unique. "I want thing, if there's thing standing in way of thing, I go bang bang, and get the thing".

She's very knowledgeable of history, and is aware of cultures and stuff, she just didn't care to be hyper honorable and sensitive of them.
She wanted the thing. And she craved the fun and adventure of getting the thing.

kiphalfton

Agreed, Lara looked beautiful in Rise and Shadow. And i am almost certain they are somehow going to make her look worse in the new game. If that sketch in the OP is anything to go by, it looks bad.

She looks high half the time.

Also OG Tomb Raider reboot (not definitive edition crap) > Rise or Shadow.

LordOfChaos

Interesting

I liked The Lost Legacy better than Uncharted 4 tbh, but there was a lot of reasons for that, the setting being one.

leizzra

Is this supposed to be the remake/reboot one? If so then I think that the rumor is off. I’ll need to check but I doubt that it’ll be done in less then a year. Open world? Don’t think so but maybe a bit more open?

DanielG165

I loved the last trilogy, and part of that was because the environments were hand crafted segments and moments that were tailored to excite and stimulate. An open world game Tomb Raider isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I hope they still have plenty of carefully curated content and hand crafted moments that keep in line what the series is known for.

As far as the new look for Laura herself, I don’t mind it. She’s not as “beautiful” as Rise nor Shadow (Rise Laura being my personal favorite), but she’s very much still “good looking”, just… Edgier now.

I remember replaying FarCry 3 a few years ago and thinking that it was more tomb raidery than the new TR trilogy. The exploration, adventure, and there were a few cave sections that had platforming. And then I played FarCry 4 and absolutely loved it. I could see a new TR being in a similar environment to Kyrat but with more ancient temples etc. For once I am not instantly doubtful and dismissive..

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Could be a cool concept finally going open world. Imagine an Elden Rings kinda Map with dungeons and adventures hidden throughout that you just find organically.
Boss Fights could be against ancient temple gods / Puzzles would be a great departure and bring new life into the series. Just don't make Laura into a woke meme.

AzuEZdm.jpeg

FeralEcho

Yeah no thanks, I'd rather replay a better version of this new TR less woke than CD will make the new TR and with a hotter,more feminine protagonist than the new Lara will be that's for sure...
Playstation 4 Game GIF by Naughty Dog

Still one of my favourite Uncharted games. 9 hours of pure action-adventure.

Chloe❤️

Sethbacca

This could be great. The last 3 were openish. Could be great fun. Sign me up.
I really liked the semi-open nature of the last 3. I feel like going full open here is going to be a negative and really water down the story from something more tightly narrative focused into something more.... mehhhhh

Sethbacca

I swear half the dudes that populate this forum have never been with a woman. These comments are borderline retarded.

I really liked the semi-open nature of the last 3. I feel like going full open here is going to be a negative and really water down the story from something more tightly narrative focused into something more.... mehhhhh

Remember the 100000, OCD-inducing collectibles icons on the map in TR Rise/Shadow ?
Multiply that by 10 and you (we) will have a good idea of how this will turn out...

I just can't anymore

Sethbacca

Remember the 100000, OCD-inducing collectibles icons on the map in TR Rise/Shadow ?
Multiply that by 10 and you (we) will have a good idea of how this will turn out...

I just can't anymore
I'll be honest and say I didn't finish the 3rd game, did finish the first 2 though. Realistically, the first one was my favorite of the 3 but the 2nd had some great parts.

Vick

Yeah no thanks, I'd rather replay a better version of this new TR less woke than CD will make the new TR and with a hotter,more feminine protagonist than the new Lara will be that's for sure...

Still one of my favourite Uncharted games. 9 hours of pure action-adventure.

Chloe❤️
Yeah, I mean... this.
No way this is going to look, play, and sound as good as Lost Legacy did, and the way that covered the India setting, atmosphere, story, and lore was already immaculate.

I'd be interested in this Tomb Raider exploring a completely different, Temple of Doom kind of India... but even then, I hope the entirety of game is reworked and upgraded from the previous titles to be good enough to avoid constant, brutal comparisons with Lost Legacy.

Top Bottom