• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Nintendo NX will not be Android-based but it will emulate Android games.

ktynn

Banned
I kind of think that the NX Platform will be like this.

N = MEAN
X = Cross

I'm using just.. math for this.. really.. a means for cross generational parity.

In short, it's going to be a home console and a handheld pair that works across all of their products.

You have some games that are available on the Home Console, Handheld, and PC Store.

The Home Console will have compatibility with older items via VC (NES, SNES, N64, Wii, DS, 3DS, N3DS, GB, GBC, GBA, and native support for Wii U. In fact, the controller for it will be a slightly smaller, sleeker version of the Wii U Pad.. which can also be used on the NX. You can use your N3DS and the N3DS successor as a controller as well as using your own Android or iOS Tablet as well via a free APP. The Home Console will talk to all of these devices. You can also access the Play Store and/or iOS store from the device and play some of those games on your TV, with a controller. The sleeker version of the Wii U pad places the NFC behind the screen this time and adds a front facing camera. The screen is almost half of an inch smaller than the Wii U screen, but has the same pixel density.

The handheld will be compatible, digitally, with DS, Play Store, NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, 3DS, N3DS, and physically with DS, 3DS, and N3DS. It will be able to "Free Play" N64 and some NX home console titles in a way similar to Remote Play.

But that's all my crazy speculation. This isn't going to be a system that outputs games in 4K or something. It will probably be about 50% to 75% more powerful than the Wii U and will have some of the same Wii U chipset for BC purposes. It will still not play Blu Rays, CDs, or DVDs. Seriously though.. with Netflix, Hulu Plus, Crunchyroll, Amazon Store, Play Store, and the ability of it to play downloaded music/video purchases... umm.. what are you doing with Blu Rays, CDs, and DVDs? The launch price would probably be competitive at about $299.99 to $399.99 for a model with more storage and extras. A model of it for $249.99 would be for people who own a Wii U and are okay with using their Wii U pad on the new system until they buy the new controller.

In terms of power this machine would be comparable with an Xbox One in your opinion? Or is that stretching it?

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Good point, I wouldn't really care if this was jus Android without Google services.

But if it has Google Services then you don't need to re-buy all the stuff you already have. I'd rather spend an additional $5 on the cost of the console for a license.

inner-G

Banned
But if it has Google Services then you don't need to re-buy all the stuff you already have. I'd rather spend an additional $5 on the cost of the console for a license.
Audio input to google services on NX: "Directions to retro game store"

^ new virtual console strategy

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Audio input to google services on NX: "Directions to retro game store"

^ new virtual console strategy

Part of any deal could be that emulators are marked as non-compatible with the NX. The ability is already there for this to be the case.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
You bastard.

Not if it's basically a vita.

Good point too, keep trying to forget Japan is going mobile :p

Mobile is king in Japan. It would be a huge win for Nintendo to have those games on their new systems. (handheld/console)

Top Bottom