• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Overwatch could be getting new weapons or weapon skins

Kenai

They need to add "other character" skins, where, for example, Reaper could look like Mei but still function as reaper

This is a super terrible idea and should never happen but I admit I laughed at the idea of Mei duel wielding ice-shotguns while muttering the edgiest of quips

Weapon skins seems like such a no-brainer idea that I'm surprised it hasn't happneed yet. Bring them on.

EDIT: I'll throw in my two cents that I hope they're purely cosmetic, and I'm sure they are. Overwatch characters having static mechanical properties is practically a fundamental feature of the game.

I'd be ok with A and B characters. If they want to give soldier a shot gun and Tracer a baseball bat, so long as it's immediately distinguishable in gameplay it would just add depth to the game.

The more likely weapon skin route is super cool too though.

Nah... I'm down for cosplaying skins though. Like Lucio wearing a D.Va themed outfit.

Hmmm ...

No. This should make them identical to other characters, then they bust out an ult you could never expect

Like, your team corners a lone Mercy, then a smaller Mercy ejects out of herself and the "shell" explodes, revealing it was D.Va wearing a Mercy skin the whole time.

Ruined TF2. Ruined countless other games.

Greedy devs and publishers ruining their own games for the last 10 years.

Hope this doesn't happen. But it will.

Hmmm ...

No. This should make them identical to other characters, then they bust out an ult you could never expect

Like, your team corners a lone Mercy, then a smaller Mercy ejects out of herself and the "shell" explodes, revealing it was D.Va wearing a Mercy skin the whole time.

wha

what do you think skins are

i cannot imagine which scenario is more horrifying based on this post

a team chasing down an 800 pound giant robotic mercy head on legs only to realize their foolish error when the flesh mercy d.va emerges

or a team chasing down a normal mercy only for a tiny foot tall chestburster mercy to be birthed and run away as the regular one explodes

Phu

Banned
I'd be ok with A and B characters. If they want to give soldier a shot gun and Tracer a baseball bat, so long as it's immediately distinguishable in gameplay it would just add depth to the game.

The more likely weapon skin route is super cool too though.

I don't think adding variant movesets would be good for 'depth' especially when they're in the business of creating entirely new characters.

I don't think adding variant movesets would be good for 'depth' especially when they're in the business of creating entirely new characters.

This. When you see Tracer you know exactly what Tracer does and every way she does it immediately. That's incredibly important to how the game plays. Any nanosecond spent asking yourself if that Tracer is carrying a baseball bat is wasted time.

Grisby

Cosmetic is ok, although it'll be even tougher to get character skins now. :/

If they start adding different guns with stats or something then I'm out too. Keep it pure.

Lagamorph

Weapon Skins would make sense, especially as there must be a decent amount of people now with pretty much all of the unlocks and so no incentive to get further lootboxes, so they need something else to throw in.

There's already the Golden Weapon skins in the game anyway, so the technicalities already seem to be in place.

heyf00L

Probably weapon skins (although why the gun apparently has prongs is weird). The functionality is already in the game for gold guns. Right now they have to make a whole character and gun skin. Just making gun skins would be a lot less work for that skin money.

Giga Man

One step closer...

87197a.jpg

Aomber

They're obviously not going to start making non-cosmetic weapons loot-box exclusive because that would go against the entire philosophy of Overwatch and its success.

That being said, it is an opportunity to make more money off skins FOR those weapons.

KyleCross

So it appears that this was nothing. Both the Soldier and Sombra guns featured in the video were their guns for their new Summer Games skins. Most likely the gun models were just being bug tested and Blizzard either forgot or they left it in as a tease for the characters getting new skins for Summer Games.

Top Bottom