• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Overwatch could be getting new weapons or weapon skins

No thanks, I don't have faith in them to keep it consistent and I liked skins being matched to the weapons.

Also more clutter for the loot boxes

kulapik

Some people are mentioning that they might actually just be weapons for new skins, but applied to old skins. Reminder that Orisa's test in Blizzard was Zarya with bastion's turret gun.

Jawmuncher

Differnt guns with the same effects is my bet. Unlockable weapons that change damage and such starts entering the "too complex" sector

Alucrid

Banned
i'm sure they would implement different weapon stats and abilities to tank the overwatch league which hasn't even begun yet

If its skins, cool.

If its new weapons, dont do it Blizzard. Did we learn nothing from TF2???

A game that was hugely successful for nearly a decade, and still one of the most played games on Steam?

TF2s problem is that it's the third wheel to Valve. CSGO barely gets any love, so just imagine the state of TF2

scoobs

money-phrasal-verbs-I.jpg

I like how ppl are foaming at the mouth thinking they're non-cosmetic weapons when there's absolutely no indication other than ppl arguing "other games"

As long as they're only cosmetic, no problem. Would be nice to get a second tier of cosmetics.

If this turns into TF2 where every character has sixty different shotguns that all do different random bullshit - this is where I step off the Overwatch train.

They've had a weapons skin tab for the longest time. The only thing you could change was normal or Gold skin. What's surprising is how long it's taking to get weapon skins in beyond gold from competitive play.

Cool, hopefully they're not too garish or out of place. Most of the character skins are alright so I'm guessing their weapon skins won't be too bad.

0% chance these affect gameplay, but even if they did the backlash would be so great it'd be reverted overnight

KyleCross

Well, I knew there was a catch to them greatly decreasing the amount of dupes you get in lootboxes recently. That's because they're about to cram a lot more crap into it.

Rafus

Maybe you buy them with comp points, as the golden guns. The game has been out for over a year, and nowadays, most people that has been playing competitive regularly already have all the gold weapons for their main characters, so it would be a good way to keep them using those points into something.
But who knows? Probably it's just loot boxes.

This is 100% just more cosmetic shit to shove in loot boxes and pad those more.

They do ruin the aesthetic of legendary costumes thought. Im just waiting at this point for you to piecemeal costumes together with no regards to aesthetic.

Kenai

Well, I knew there was a catch to them greatly decreasing the amount of dupes you get in lootboxes recently. That's because they're about to cram a lot more crap into it.

I'm sorta okay with that since nothing new has been put in normal lootboxes since launch. Not okay with non-cosmetics but I'm not worried about that happening either. Blizz has been pretty consistent with that.

breadtruck

A game that was hugely successful for nearly a decade, and still one of the most played games on Steam?

TF2s problem is that it's the third wheel to Valve. CSGO barely gets any love, so just imagine the state of TF2

Did you actually mean to say "idled" when you say "played?"

I was referring to the balance of TF2. Which basically devolved into a giant cesspool of shit. Overwatch has enough balance tweaking going on as it is without throwing new weapons into the mix.

What does CSGO need? Everyone plays Dust 2 and Office with deagle, M4, AK, and AWP. Who needs new maps or guns?
Besides, CSGO is closer to what I alluded to as being okay with in Overwatch. Changeable weapon skins, not new weapons.

yep there's always a catch

a friend and i were talking and we both agreed that instead of letting you switch weapon skins and skins separately, they'll make it so weapon skins are an entirely different category

so if you unlock banana winston you still need to unlock banana winston gun to use banana winston's gun on other skins

effectively doubling the loot pool without adding a single new item, it's almost (evil) genius

of course they might add a few brand new weapon skins like the sombra and soldier ones that aren't tied to character skins

TF2 derailed when it got too many weapons IMO. You would encounter a pro or a demoman but who knows what loadouts they have.

Feel the same way about Battlefield and CoD and their damn loadouts and mods and such.

Hard when you can never tell what weapon the other person has...what damage/spread it has, clip size, etc.

Overwatch - Soldier76​ is a soldier76, tracer is a tracer, every time. More like the days of Quake where you see the weapon, you know what it is.

Oh god please no non-cosmetic weapon loot

In what possible way could they POSSIBLY introduce new weaponry to characters that have been carefully designed around a singular weapon? Valve already made that mistake with TF2. I doubt Blizzard is stupid enough to follow that design. this screams weapon skins to me which makes complete sense.

Orayn

In what possible way could they POSSIBLY introduce new weaponry to characters that have been carefully designed around a singular weapon? Valve already made that mistake with TF2. I doubt Blizzard is stupid enough to follow that design. this screams weapon skins to me which makes complete sense.

I think it started pretty reasonable in TF2, each character basically just had one or two alternative loadouts that allowed for a somewhat different playstyle. It was the later proliferation of even more weapon sets that began to blur the boundaries of the classes and make things difficult to balance.

Head.spawn

If that means less duplicates in the lootboxes, then I am all for new stuff

It could be the case that they are adding more stuff to offset it so you effectively still get NEW items at the same rate as before. You'll still get dupes, just out of a larger pool. Every fake needle in the haystack could simply be replaced with more boring hay that nobody wants.

Did you actually mean to say "idled" when you say "played?"

Nobody idles in TF2 anymore, lol. Hats almost never drop and weapons are worth a fraction of a penny.

What does CSGO need? Everyone plays Dust 2 and Office with deagle, M4, AK, and AWP. Who needs new maps or guns?

Dust2 isn't even in comp rotation anymore. And if the CSGO Reddit is any indication people would love to have new maps.

Stat-affecting weapons would be a huge mistake. I hope they don't go down that dark path.

Cosmetic weapons I could understand from a business perspective. But they'll feel like a waste when I'm getting them instead of skins, particularly when the release version established that skins affect weapon appearance. It would also make me wonder how, in particular, legendary skin's weapons would be affected--would they be split off into their own thing and given to the player automagically, or what?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'd honestly love different loudouts, it would help freshen the game up and give it more variety. It's probably just more skins, though.

Meia

gotta have something new to throw in those loot boxes.

This is why I see it happening, especially with the changes to loot boxes so you don't get dupes ALL the time. What better way than to greatly increase the item pool with something simple like different colors for skins already in-game(what I'm expecting this to be)?

Then again, I'd go so far as to say they need to have great weapon skins outside of the gold one simply because the current system encourages people to play a mode in competitive that they don't want to play for that extra thing to earn. The game probably needs something to work for in quick play and the like sooner rather than later. Making loot boxes more profitable by reducing dupes is only going to go so far.

Top Bottom