• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] PlayStation 5 Cooling System Patent (Update: Codemaster Dev Claims Devkit)

Elenchus

Banned
Still playing catch-up on cooling...any day now I guess. Meanwhile what time’s the Pro taking off from LAX?

Geki-D

Banned
Why does Sony spell his name wrong?
A sure sign this is fake, imo.

For people who might not know, Yasuhiro Ootori is a well known SIE engineer:
ps4-playstation-4-demontage-mise-nue-yasuhiro-ootori-photo-07112013-012_029401B800430012.jpg

And yeah, his name is misspelled in those apparent patents.

shaddam

Just be black, dont collect dust, and can be placed vertically. I'm not interested in noise levels, bacause I'm used to server stuffs (and have headphones)

NickFire

Still playing catch-up on cooling...any day now I guess. Meanwhile what time’s the Pro taking off from LAX?
Arguing that one console is better because of cooling, reminds me of the stories about finding soldiers living on an island 20 years after a war ended, and having to break the news that the war is long over.

LordOfChaos

The patent drawing is weird but I love the idea - big honking whole-case heatsinks that would allow a lot of ambient airflow.

See for an example:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I don't know what I'm looking at. Is that system better then the jet engine fan currently found in my Pro? That's all I want.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It looks like a jetpack. I wonder how much R&D Sony have invested in making their next console less noisy. I'd say we'll see a much more scaled-down version of that for the final product. That schematic looks more like a dev kit than a console.

Patents are not written for products, they are just for protecting IP.

Airbus Jr

Banned
That thing look huge...

I predict PS5 will be bigger than PS4..posibly PS3..

In size...dimensions...and weigh...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it isn't as loud as my jet engine
I mean ps4 pro

TimFL

I don't even know man. Hope ya'll being hyped for this are just joking, because I thought we were done with the outlandish retard designs they went for with the PS3/360 gen. This is definitely pushing it into borderline overkill territory.
Give me a flat box like the PS4 or XB1X and be done with it.

NickFire

I don't even know man. Hope ya'll being hyped for this are just joking, because I thought we were done with the outlandish retard designs they went for with the PS3/360 gen. This is definitely pushing it into borderline overkill territory.
I prefer a sleek looking box, but really don't care as long as it fits where the PS4 currently sits. If this is a sign of super fast clock speeds, its a win to me.

Elenchus

Banned
Arguing that one console is better because of cooling, reminds me of the stories about finding soldiers living on an island 20 years after a war ended, and having to break the news that the war is long over.

Lol. Is that what I argued though? Or did your emotions get the better of you? Read it again. Slower this time.

NickFire

Lol. Is that what I argued though? Or did your emotions get the better of you? Read it again. Slower this time.
I didn't get emotional. I dry chuckled and commented about the need to mention catch up in this thread. Sorry for believing that you were inferring they were trying to catch up with something else with better cooling. I guess you meant they were catching dogs or something else.

mortal

Gold Member
This is exciting! :messenger_beaming:

I love how much consideration is being given to the cooling system. The final designs is going to be beastly, and look the part too, apparently.

Last edited:
Your initial post is console warrior nonsense about cooling and Sony playing catch up based on a leaked PS5 dev kit design. Nobody has reported any temps or performance analysis to make such a conclusion so your comment is complete nonsense and looking to stoke console war vitriol in this thread.
Please take that shit someplace else. We here to discuss the dev kit design. When we have hard data on its cooling methods and the performance thereof you may then partake in the discussion. Otherwise please move along.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned

Plz. nothing screams g4m3rz more than such a design, see all those MSi, Asus, Alienware and HP laptops :p
All that's needed are LED's in the USB ports, fan exhaust/grills and what's not to complete a g4m3rz console scheduled for 2020.
Get with the program :messenger_smirking:

It's like Sony intentionally aims for the ugliest dev-kit ever to grace this planet.

NickFire

This is exciting! :messenger_beaming:

I love how much consideration is being given to the cooling system. The final designs is going to be beastly, and look the part too, apparently.
I do too! From other threads it seems at least some of the chips they are going to use can lead to performance between 50% more powerful than high end current gen, to more than double high end current gen. Focusing on cooling makes me think they really are going with beast specs, and that would be awesome.

joe_zazen

People so boring. This is why every new car looks like a jellybean.
my car is a jellybean and i want a rectangular black console

Last edited:

LostDonkey

That would buck the trend of Sonys Dev Kits so far all looking like old HiFi Stacker systems, and I cant believe a retail unit would look like that so I call BS.

Elenchus

Banned
I didn't get emotional. I dry chuckled and commented about the need to mention catch up in this thread. Sorry for believing that you were inferring they were trying to catch up with something else with better cooling. I guess you meant they were catching dogs or something else.

Was I comparing consoles or comparing cooling solutions?

Can one compare the tires on 2 cars without comparing the cars themselves?

Ahh. Read it again. Slower still this time.

Justin9mm

To me looks too over designed to just be a DevKit
To be honest, with the specs it has, it needs some hardcore ventilation to move that heat and keep it quiet, Sony is well aware they failed on the noise level spectrum with the PS4 so I'm not surprised this the devkit box looks like that.

The final product will obviously look different and more sleek but don't be surprised if it has a lot of ventilation vents and fins going on. This is hardware like we've never seen before going into this thing. The hardware architecture is going to be one of the biggest leaps we've seen between generations.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Maybe it will be called the PlayStation V instead of using a '5' like everyone expects.
The original Xbox was shaped like a giant X. This looks like a V.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
PS4 dev kits were monsters. I they were the final product :messenger_beaming:

Love big consoles.

Last edited:

SonGoku

A sure sign this is fake, imo.

For people who might not know, Yasuhiro Ootori is a well known SIE engineer:
ps4-playstation-4-demontage-mise-nue-yasuhiro-ootori-photo-07112013-012_029401B800430012.jpg

And yeah, his name is misspelled in those apparent patents.
looks legit though, can random hoaxers upload to Brazilian government site?
zwUvkS6.png

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think some people here are thinking that this is the PS5.... it's only a cooling component people.

You know, I was thinking that when I first seen it as well.

We just got caught up with the “slot” and everything else.

But it does look more like a cooling block with various chambers for piping, etc..

Last edited:
Was I comparing consoles or comparing cooling solutions?

Can one compare the tires on 2 cars without comparing the cars themselves?

Ahh. Read it again. Slower still this time.
Yeah let's compare the performance of two different tires on 2 different cars without any hard data for any of them.
Retype your posts mate. Slower this time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom