• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(rumor) possible PS2 classic game coming to EGS

Neo_GAF

Banned
since i was already right last time....

i was going out for a drink yesterday and i heard that a ps2 classic OR something from piranya Bytes might be released in the near future(Maybe even on EGS).

i didnt get the whole conversation, but it was the same bar as last time.

so hopefully, something of this will become true in the next few days/weeks.

assuming the other thread from the beginning of this week, it is going to be timesplitters 2 or 3, since those games were awesome.

edit:
i meant a ps2 game which is a classic. not as in "nes classic"-mini console.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Mh Aren't Piranha Bytes the developers of the Gothic series (and their following clones Risen and Elex)?
I'm not aware of any "PS2 classic" on their part. In fact I'm not sure they ever released anything on console except late and sloppy ports of their PC games.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Who actually said this though, a random person you partially overheard at a bar?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
THQ Nordic PS2 Classics support on the PS4 has been top tier in that regards. They all upres to 1080p properly, 60fps, and full platinum trophy lists.

Some other efforts by publishers/developers have been lackluster in comparison.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You know, there probably is somebody at Facebook, Google, Apple, e.t.c. who is tasked with going to bars in the silicon valley area all day long and trying to hear candid conversations between employees at lunch and happy hour. Trying to get a one-up on your competitor.

Its a hard job but somebody has gotta do it, and the information can be worth far more than what you pay the guy. Sign me up coach.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
On the Playstation platform itself, It's been almost a year since the last PS2 Classic was released. King of Fighters Collection: Orochi Saga released in June of last year. It and King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match were the only games released in 2018. At least 2017 gave us 14 new games (4 of which were Jak and Daxter).

Maybe this is a sign they'll start ramping up new games to the PS2 Classics platform again, if they're going to try and use it as a selling point for the PS5 and backwards compatibility. They've gotta find some way to compete with Microsoft's "4 generations" that'll be available on the Xbox Two.

Last edited:

ookami

So what does this tells us? What ps2 classic could it be?
THQ Nordic PS2 Classics support on the PS4 has been top tier in that regards. They all upres to 1080p properly, 60fps, and full platinum trophy lists.

Some other efforts by publishers/developers have been lackluster in comparison.
From what I can gather, both THQ Nordic and Piranha Bytes (PB) started with the seventh generation (PS3 and 360).
  • PB started the Gothic IP until the third installment but still own it.
  • Interestingly THQ Nordic published all further game in the Gothic IP (named Arcania).
  • THQ Nordic announced yesterday that they acquired PB.
If I had to guess... I'd go for the Gothic IP.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
From what I can gather, both THQ Nordic and Piranha Bytes (PB) started with the seventh generation (PS3 and 360).
  • PB started the Gothic IP until the third installment but still own it.
  • Interestingly THQ Nordic published all further game in the Gothic IP (named Arcania).
  • THQ Nordic announced yesterday that they acquired PB.
If I had to guess... I'd go for the Gothic IP.

But those would not be PS2 Classics, rather, remasters of PS3/360 games. Not sure if those games even have the following in the console space for that.

Last edited:
I wish they had weekly releases of PS1/2 (like 5 of each) announced in a "reveal video" giving each games a quick 15 - 30 second introduction to wet our appetites - simple/effective.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
since i was already right last time....

i was going out for a drink yesterday and i heard that a ps2 classic OR something from piranya Bytes might be released in the near future(Maybe even on EGS).

i didnt get the whole conversation, but it was the same bar as last time.

so hopefully, something of this will become true in the next few days/weeks.

assuming the other thread from the beginning of this week, it is going to be timesplitters 2 or 3, since those games were awesome.

edit:
i meant a ps2 game which is a classic. not as in "nes classic"-mini console.

Do you wear trench coats when you're on the beat, detective? I didn't believe you before, I won't make that same mistake twice.

Top Bottom