• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS3 Slim bundled with Madden NFL 10 coming in August?

http://www.qj.net/Rumor-PS3-Slim-bundled-with-Madden-NFL-10-coming-in-August-/pg/49/aid/133216

We already heard numerous rumors about the leaked PS3 slim before, we even have a video snippet from the Philippines just last week. Now here comes another one from the latest 1UP podcast. David Ellis has revealed that the much awaited PS3 slim will debut this August and will be bundled with the upcoming Madden NFL 10 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PC, PS2).

Ellis said this might be the reason why Activision recently threatened Sony to abandon its platforms because they are tying the release with an EA title rather than Activision. Adding fuel to the speculation, Sony has already confirmed a massive press conference on August 18 for GamesCom but didn't give any details about the show. Madden NFL 10 is scheduled for release on August 14. So what do you think guys? Is the PS3 slim really on the way? Stay tuned.

I performed a search and didn't see this posted. Never heard of the site and I don't know how legitimate this is, but there is some interesting information in the link. Also, look at the video. What do you guys think?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It was posted.

Also, being 'tied to' the release of Madden doesn't indicate anything about a bundle to me. I sort of doubt this speculation though anyway, I don't think it'll be out that soon.

I don't really see how they can release it with Madden but announce it 4 days later at Gamescom. But then again, I find the idea of a Madden bundle unlikely anyway... has it ever been bundled with a console in the past?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Psychotext said:
I don't really see how they can release it with Madden but announce it 4 days later at Gamescom. But then again, I find the idea of a Madden bundle unlikely anyway... has it ever been bundled with a console in the past?

When Ellis said 'tied to' he meant 'to coincide with'.

Some people jumped on it and thought he meant 'bundled with'. Which I think he clearly didn't.

But anyway, I think he is just basing this on analyst speculation that Sony will price cut in time for Madden. I don't think there's anything more to it than that.

So US only launch for PS3Slim confirmed?

Or is something else coming out in August that the rest of the world cares about? Uncharted 2 is September isn't it?

If Sony is really to bundle Madden 2010 with the PS3 Slim whenever it comes out, I am wondering if they are packing in Madden to justify a $400 price tag. I have a really hard time believing that they will sell a PS3 Slim with Madden for $300 and even $350 would be questionable.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
highluxury said:
Would be an epic move in the states though.
Would it really though?

Based upon last year's sales, it seems the majority of the Madden fanbase already moved to the Xbox 360 when Microsoft did Madden promotions for the last two years.

I could see a FIFA bundle in Europe working a lot better than this would in the US.

Dra-Q said:
But please a bundle with Fifa 10 for europe.

Nirolak said:
I could see a FIFA bundle in Europe working a lot better than this would in the US.

SCEE is already in a 4 year business agreement with UEFA for sponsorship. They are advertising the PS brand/PS3 on stadiums like crazy. Its getting through to practicly every living room thats watching soccer across Europe.

Also in most european commercials the PS brand versions of FIFA are highlighted as if they were exclusive.

I'd say thats doing alot on itself already.

Flek

Banned
wow sony anounced a press conference for the gc .. WOW .. its not like they have one EVERY FUCKING YEAR. And its always 3 houers long because sony is serving free beer and food afterwards.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There won't be bundling on the slim.

The leaked shot suggested a standalone unit.

The bundling you see will be with the 160GB at $100 more than the slim, IMO.

Dra-Q

Banned
gofreak said:
There won't be bundling on the slim.

The leaked shot suggested a standalone unit.

The bundling you see will be with the 160GB at $100 more than the slim, IMO.

Well, the PS3 phat bundles in europe are just the normal box inside of an extra "bundle packaging". Sony could do the same with the slim and the "Madden NFL 10 Bundle".

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dra-Q said:
Well, the PS3 phat bundles in europe are just the normal box inside of an extra "bundle packaging". Sony could do the same with the slim and the "Madden NFL 10 Bundle".

If a slim is heralding a price cut there won't be anything bundled with it officially. I think they're going to have a reasonable number of fats (160GBs) to move, and that's where you'll see the bundling. I think a slim at $299 on its own and a 160GB fat at $399 with a game or two would be the optimum mix to keep everything moving. If you threw a game in with the slim you might upset the ongoing attractiveness of the 160GB fat skus.

Elios83

I've heard from retail sources, which have been absolutely reliable in the past that PS3 Slim will launch throughout Europe on September 2 at 299€, official announcement at the GamesCon. We'll see but considering the same sources have been spot on for two years in a row (40GB+price cut and 80GB) I personally don't doubt them ;)

Elios83 said:
I've heard from retail sources, which have been absolutely reliable in the past that PS3 Slim will launch throughout Europe on September 2 at 299€, official announcement at the GamesCon. We'll see but considering the same sources have been spot on for two years in a row (40GB+price cut and 80GB) I personally don't doubt them ;)

So around £250?

Fair deal I guess, we were never getting £199, I thought £224.99 might of been on the cards. A £50 cut though is tasty enough for the Christmas holidays, especially as it will be with a slim. Just £50 off a regular PS3 wouldn't be as tasty.

52club

Good to see to ex-lovers getting back together. It is just too bad MS can't counter by packing in the next 2K football game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
52club said:
Good to see to ex-lovers getting back together. It is just too bad MS can't counter by packing in the next 2K football game.

There won't be anything to counter from a bundling point-of-view, at least not relating to the slim.

I hope your source is right Elios. If Sony pulls this off it'd be pretty big news.

Sirolf

Elios83 said:

I remember you have good sources ;)
Well can't wait for september then !! :D

By the way I meant to ask, what is the current Euro PS3 RRP? I read 399€? If so damn that's expensive and if this launches at 299€, Euroland should be happy :D

Sirolf

Audioboxer said:
By the way I meant to ask, what is the current Euro PS3 RRP? I read 399€? If so damn that's expensive and if this launches at 299€, Euroland should be happy :D

Yes 399€ for the official price :(

Sirolf said:
Yes 399€ for the official price :(

Woah that's brutal.

This should really help in Europe then if true, but funnily enough Europe has probably already helped the PS3 quite a bit in getting to 23million units. Europe has more affluent people than America then? :lol

It also gives me hope that the UK price might be a bit lower than £250 if they can shave off 100 euros. Hopefully it's $100 they're shaving off in America also.

Audioboxer said:

here in Spain you can find easily several PS3 80gb bundles for 350€

Well every retailer is bundling/cutting prices right now to shift stock.

Even still we're talking about Sony's RRPs, there's always retailers undercutting RRP, even if it's just marginally. Whatever Sony launch it at you'll probably be able to get it a bit cheaper on the web.

This sounds too good to be true for Sony to be able to pull off. Does anybody really have any confidence left in their marketing and deal making abilities?

If Madden isn't bundled with Slim, then Activision is crying over nothing after the fact that they've already picked their side by signing over exclusivity of the first two map packs for Modern Warfare 2.

Sony really should bundle Madden with PS3 now that they've been let in on the awesome idea to do it. They better hurry before Microsoft does it first.

Dra-Q

Banned
Elios83 said:

Wow, this post and sin's information confirmed the PS3 slim for me :D

JoJo13

Banned
Theres no way it's coming BUNDLED with Madden. It may release alongside Madden, but it definitely won't be bundled.

bhhawks78

Banned
300$ with Madden 2004 with updates rosters wouldn't be enough to finally buy a new ps3...good thing i got one cheap on craigslist :lol

Top Bottom