• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS5 To Introduce Playstation Plus Premium In 2020, Exclusive Betas And Private Servers.

Foxbat

Banned
700k subscribers April 26, 2019

“Millions” of subscribers Nov 13, 2018

6 ppl that voted currently on PSNow, 31 on Gamepass.

I don’t think there is much evidence that PSNow is more popular, unless you want to hang your hat that Superdata report, but even Sony’s own numbers make that look like horseshit.

Exactly! That Superdata image has been plastered so many times here, that I think it's permanently burned in to my phone.

Absolutely nothing from officially released numbers supports that Superdata report. That report could've been from soon after Gamepass released maybe?

demigod

I don’t think there is much evidence that PSNow is more popular, unless you want to hang your hat that Superdata report, but even Sony’s own numbers make that look like horseshit.

Can you ask Phil how many of those subs are full price, thanks.

Kagey K

Banned
I figured you weren’t going to choose, thanks for playing.
The person I quoted came here and said Now is more popular then Gamepass and tried to pass it off as a fact.

I refuted that fact and now you try to move the goalposts.

Sorry, you are right I’m not playing those games.

Foxbat

Banned
The person I quoted came here and said Now is more popular then Gamepass and tried to pass it off as a fact.

I refuted that fact and now you try to move the goalposts.

Sorry, you are right I’m not playing those games.

Yeah, moving goalposts is kinda his thing. He's bad at it though.

ethomaz

Banned
Sure. Move the goalpost if you want. Makes no difference to me.
Wut?

What I said was true but you tried to cover it saying it was not lol

Fact: MS allow paid early access like said and it is ducking ridiculous to pay to be a beta tester.

To be fair I was wrong because I generalized :( but I can fix it right now:

Pay for early beta/access is the biggest bullshit Steam, MS and EA wants to put on industry.

Now everything is right.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned
Wut?

What I said was true but you tried to cover it saying it was not lol

Fact: MS allow paid early access like said and it is ducking ridiculous to pay to be a beta tester.

To be fair I was wrong because I generalized :( but I can fix it right now:

Pay for early beta/access is the biggest bullshit Steam, MS and EA wants to put on industry.

Now everything is right.

No. Let me explain this so maybe you'll understand.

With XBL, you have access to early access games that may be in an alpha/beta. The publisher of that game may or may not charge you for it, but MS doesn't add any additional charge or fee for the access. Bluehole for example decided to charge a reduces fee for PUBG, while some games are free. I believe The Darwin Project or whatever is free for example.

With Sony, you cannot access early access games in an Aplha/Beta state. Not generally anyway. (Sony does make the rare exception.) With this proposal, you must first pay for PS PLUS Premium in order to get early access. You would then need to buy the game if the game's publisher decides to charge for it.

Does that help?

Xbox: early access free> May have to buy game.

PS: early access behind PS+Premium> May have to buy game.

You're somehow trying to blame this on MS, EA, and Steam while Sony's offering is the worst of the bunch.

ethomaz

Banned
No. Let me explain this so maybe you'll understand.

With XBL, you have access to early access games that may be in an alpha/beta. The publisher of that game may or may not charge you for it, but MS doesn't add any additional charge or fee for the access. Bluehole for example decided to charge a reduces fee for PUBG, while some games are free. I believe The Darwin Project or whatever is free for example.

With Sony, you cannot access early access games in an Aplha/Beta state. Not generally anyway. (Sony does make the rare exception.) With this proposal, you must first pay for PS PLUS Premium in order to get early access. You would then need to buy the game if the game's publisher decides to charge for it.

Does that help?

Xbox: early access free> May have to buy game.

PS: early access behind PS+Premium> May have to buy game.

You're somehow trying to blame this on MS, EA, and Steam while Sony's offering is the worst of the bunch.
You just proved how my comment is correct... MS support paid early access and that is ridiculous.

You are trying to defense the indefensible.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Sony asking people to pay more money for stuff like alpha/beta access would only prove how cocky they are and how confident about being in the lead. It's a shame Microsoft gets too much money from Gold to consider dropping paid multiplayer and leaving Sony to deal with the hate.

Last edited:

FranXico

It's a shame Microsoft gets too much money from Gold to consider dropping paid multiplayer and leaving Sony to deal with the hate.
It's a real shame Microsoft didn't get any hate for charging people for multiplayer in the first place.
If a lot of the people who are now outraged at Sony (and Nintendo) hadn't favoured Microsoft with their double standards before, this escalation of greedy subscriptions would not be happening now.

down 2 orth

Day by day I'm feeling better about my decision to quit Sony and Plus as soon as my subscription expires. It really is nice to have so many options out there.

FranXico

And you're paying for limited cloud storage, so your argument is moot since they cancel each other out.
Good thing for you that cloud storage is so important and has such an impact on gameplay...
Ok, then, there is no such thing as false equivalence and we can blindly use any features as if they are equally important and have the same impact on the user experience. Cloud storage cancels out online multiplayer. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
You're right, the discussion is moot, just not for the reason you think it is...

Nice, so you having evidence that they'll be a pricing model? Even if that's the case, I wouldn't pay for it because I don't want to play my games on a phone or tablet. But you pulled this from your bum, that xCloud would be a separate subscription all together.
Do you know anything about the streaming quality on xCloud? Because I also pulled superior quality out of my bum (to resort to your vulgar language), but you seem to be ok with any speculation that places MS services under a positive light...
I wonder why... :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
I don't even have PS+ anymore since last year September. Never noticed the difference of not having PS+. Just shows how valueless it actually has become.

If this PS+ Premium included PSNow for a discounted value in addition to the previously outlined features.. I would pay for it, otherwise it's not really worth the value just to have private servers and alpha/beta access. We already basically have that with what companies have been pushing out anyway with Anthem being the most recent example.

FranXico

I don't even have PS+ anymore since last year September. Never noticed the difference of not having PS+. Just shows how valueless it actually has become.
People can more easily skip the online multiplayer subscription on playstation.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is actually stupid. Now they even want you to pay extra to play beta's and alpha's. Call it "premium" and fool people with it.

Did you miss the part where this is a rumor and we don't have all the information?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
How not exciting. How about a PS plus base, just online play and cost is nothing. Then they can charge whatever they want for premium.

Do you realize the amount of money passing Sonys nose instead of wallet?

GermanZepp

If this is only for early access, betas demos and private servers is a terrible idea. Hopefully, Best case scenario this are some features coming to PS plus.

zenspider

PS Plus +?

453135_1.jpg

MayauMiao

I'm done with PS+. They have nothing to offer and recent "free" games have been crap (to me). I barely even make use of multiplayer since I'm more towards single player game. Only reason I subscribed to it this long is for discounts and maybe hoping some great "free" games. Premium is just going to be a big middle finger to those hoping the PS+ to get a bit better than what it is now.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So you want psnow to be like gamepass where you need ps plus in order to play multiplayer games? BRILLIANT IDEA.
No, I want psnow to include all of Sony's first party new release games plus some third party new release games, same date or earlier as physical releases, for $100 a year.

I use EA Access premier on PC and think it is awesome. PSNOW should work like that.

I would be super happy if one of them offered a $199 or $299 a year plan that allowed you to download and play every game released on their platform. There are so many games I don't play because I don't want to spend $60 on them, but I would play them if they were part of a subscription.

Last edited:

demigod

No, I want psnow to include all of Sony's first party new release games plus some third party new release games, same date or earlier as physical releases, for $100 a year.

I use EA Access premier on PC and think it is awesome. PSNOW should work like that.

I would be super happy if one of them offered a $199 or $299 a year plan that allowed you to download and play every game released on their platform. There are so many games I don't play because I don't want to spend $60 on them, but I would play them if they were part of a subscription.

So you want them to spend MILLIONS of dollars on SP games and bleed money just so they can be like the competition, another BRILLIANT idea. You’re just asking for studios to be closedown. Let me give you a hint, Sony doesn’t get the whole $100 subscription.

Kagey K

Banned
Considering that PSNow is way more popular and makes more money, I don't think Sony are really all that bothered with the Gamespass formula.

And as it's already been pointed out, Gamespass requires 2 sub to fully access every mode in some games. The best option right now is that Sony doesn't copy that.

Whats more popular, a Lamborghini or a Toyota?

I’m a big fan of this is how we discuss things on Gaf now.

Get proven wrong and just pretend it didn’t happen, dogpile when you get the chance.

Either one of you want to come back in here with the balls to say you were wrong?

Or do you want to pretend it didn’t happen? (I’m pretty sure I already know what the answer will be)

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Why would I ever want to have access to exclusive game betas? To play games in an even more unfinished state than when they release? I already wait a couple of months to buy a game so there is time for at least a couple of patches to come out and turn the early access release into the gold version.

CyberPanda

Banned
Why would I ever want to have access to exclusive game betas? To play games in an even more unfinished state than when they release? I already wait a couple of months to buy a game so there is time for at least a couple of patches to come out and turn the early access release into the gold version.
It makes gamers feel 'special'. I dunno. lol.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I’m a big fan of this is how we discuss things on Gaf now.

Get proven wrong and just pretend it didn’t happen, dogpile when you get the chance.

Either one of you want to come back in here with the balls to say you were wrong?

Or do you want to pretend it didn’t happen? (I’m pretty sure I already know what the answer will be)

To be fair, this says nothing about its revenue vs PSNow’s one and subscriber numbers once the tons of frequent deals aimed at building user base up expire... unless MS keeps bankrolling it and can sustain a service on these terms for long (not in terms of cost being high, but in terms of long term software cost perception devaluation or the mobile life ;)).

Kagey K

Banned
To be fair, this says nothing about its revenue vs PSNow’s one and subscriber numbers once the tons of frequent deals aimed at building user base up expire... unless MS keeps bankrolling it and can sustain a service on these terms for long (not in terms of cost being high, but in terms of long term software cost perception devaluation or the mobile life ;)).

No he said it was more popular and more profitable, I proved he was wrong on more popular and I don’t think any of us here can prove either of them are more profitable, but I’m willing to let you try.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Proof wise you need both of their numbers, educated guess wise do you also have a hunch on ASP’s for each service since we now have subscriber numbers? Popularity wise, nice feather in the cap for Gamepass, will wait to see what is happening with all the massive incentives that helped people subscribe a lot more easily (dramatically lowering the cost to entry).

Notice also how I was not commenting directly on the back and forth you have with them but with the topic more broadly. If you want to have the win take it, I will still argue my points hoping you can run your victory lap and talk at the same time ;).

azz0r

Banned
Being part of the feedback loop and shaping a game before release is nice

Kagey K

Banned
Proof wise you need both of their numbers, educated guess wise do you also have a hunch on ASP’s for each service since we now have subscriber numbers? Popularity wise, nice feather in the cap for Gamepass, will wait to see what is happening with all the massive incentives that helped people subscribe a lot more easily (dramatically lowering the cost to entry).

Notice also how I was not commenting directly on the back and forth you have with them but with the topic more broadly. If you want to have the win take it, I will still argue my points hoping you can run your victory lap and talk at the same time ;).
It’s not a victory lap. I’m just trying to crunch the numbers. I like numbers and I’m a fan of them, as they leave little to the imagination.

What I don’t like is when people are incorrect and make assumptions and then disappear, when proven wrong.

I have made math mistakes, been proven wrong before, and I come back and rightly own up to it.

I don’t have a problem with being wrong, I actually like it because it makes me think outside my box. It’s not subjective it’s cold hard facts.

I don’t like people that wave “facts” around and never come back, only because they were wrong and try to pretend it didn’t happen.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Being part of the feedback loop and shaping a game before release is nice
I rather play the finished game than get frustrated by a bugged/unfinished/unbalanced version.
I did beta testing for a few years (paid closed betas) and every single game I tested I didn't buy because the beta testing experience completely took my interest in the game.
I know its a different thing, because these were real betas, with placeholder textures, animations, menus, etc. What they call "betas" nowadays are nothing more than glorified limited time demos that they call betas to get away with bugs/glitches and to have to deal with less certifications than a real demo would require.

Top Bottom