• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PSP Go drops price to $200 this Friday in North America

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
There are already stores that have been selling them at $200 for a while now. Amazon, Fry's, and Walmart off the top of my head.

I got a Go last month for that price and have been enjoying it. I like the smaller size and better screen (also have a CFW 2000), but the lack of titles on PSN stinks, as do a lot of the prices, and the cramped control layout doesn't work as well with some games. Playing fighters on the Go is a real pain.

Still, it's cool to be able to play Phantasy Star Portable 2, MGS Peace Walker, and Persona 3 Portable on such a nice screen, and also on TV with a PS3 controlller.

Also if anyone does buy a Go (and I'd definitely recommend the 2000 or 3000 over it), get your accessories at Fry's. Everything is cheap, like $10 for a cradle versus $30 everywhere else.

Apath

Lyte Edge said:
Also if anyone does buy a Go (and I'd definitely recommend the 2000 or 3000 over it), get your accessories at Fry's. Everything is cheap, like $10 for a cradle versus $30 everywhere else.
Amazon has them for $20. =]

lantus said:
This still doesn't fix the number one problem with the device, I can't play Birth By Sleep on it.
brain_stew said:
For the whiners, we now have kernal access on 6.20, so you'll be able to play your shitty Kingdom Hearts games on a PSP Go by years end, just fine.

Doctor_No

My understanding is the the PSP Go has a profit margin built in for retailers, compared to normal consoles that are sold at close to no profit. Something retailers are willing to do since they make money from selling games (something the PSP Go can't offer retailers).

Considering that Dell was selling the $249 PSP Go for ~$210 at launch, and most places are selling the Go at $199 before the price drop, the Go seems to have a fairly good cushion for profit margin built in for retailers. While I could only guess what that margin is, I'm guessing we'll see the price of the Go drop below $199 as retailers compete.

The bigger question is the PSP2. If it takes the iPhone/Go route with DD only, it would suffer from retailer support, and it lacks the market power of Apple to force retailers to back them with good shelf space. Which means we'll likely see some sort of flash-based physical media along side DD. But by releasing a physical copy along with the DD means that Sony loses pricing flexibility since retailers demand pricing parity. A hard lesson learned from the Go.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If the data in the OP ins't fake, there is only a 10% profit for each unit sold, and it is going down to 7.5%. The reasons for the sales is excess stock and maybe being able to haggle a better deal.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
When the fuck did this happen and why isn't the CFW OT updated to reflect this?Crap, I may actually get a GO if this is true. It has the best D-Pad out of all the PSPs.

Well I updated the Half Byte Loader thread which I maintain. Dunno why the CFW guys have ignored it so far.

Note: It isn't actually released yet, but its coming and soon.

http://wololo.net/wagic/2010/10/09/...n-announced-for-psp-up-to-6-20-by-total_noob/

http://wololo.net/wagic/2010/10/11/hen-for-6-20-a-new-video-by-total-noob-working-homebrews/

lantus said:
This still doesn't fix the number one problem with the device, I can't play Birth By Sleep on it.

This doesn't, kernal access and CFW will though.

Amory Blaine said:
$99 is the sweet spot. Till then, I'm not interested.

It should definitely be lower. Barely anybody (in America) buys it. The only reason IMO it's not lower is because the thing sells really well in Japan still.

dream

brain_stew said:
For the whiners, we now have kernal access on 6.20, so you'll be able to play your shitty Kingdom Hearts games on a PSP Go by years end, just fine.

Having to hack a system to play a game released in the territory I lvie in on the platform I own just seems so strange to me.

Will 6.20 let me put my Kingdom Hearts UMD in my PSP Go too?

tmarques

MikeE21286 said:
It should definitely be lower. Barely anybody (in America) buys it. The only reason IMO it's not lower is because the thing sells really well in Japan still.

I'm pretty sure the GO is a disaster in Japan as well.

Josh7289

MikeE21286 said:
Japan is the Go's worst market.

Top Bottom