• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Retro Studios' next game is a new "brand"

Schnozberry

Awesome. Western RPG with real time battles, please.

Unless this just means a retcon or reboot of Metroid. I'll take either one, although I think Retro is done with Metroid.

Krowley

Peer is legit, so I will assume this is true...

First thought: disappointed they aren't doing metroid.

Second thought: Is anybody doing a console metroid? I really, really hope so; hopefully something close to Metroid Prime 1, and very very far from Other M.

A 3rd person "zelda-ish" metroid with lock on shooting mechanics by an EAD team might be an interesting change of pace...

Third thought: What genres are really popular right now that nintendo don't already have covered with an existing IP? FPS, WRPG, GTA-style, Realistic racer, horror. Maybe something that blends one or more of the above.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
It shall be the hardest core of games! I predict it shall appeal to the masses and save the WiiU. It shall be called Diortem! And it's about a dude going through space and shooting everyone! Lol

I'd be stoked for an adventure and exploration focused platformer, in the vein of Mario 64 and Sunshine. Retro could pull it off really well, considering they've already proven to be platforming and exploration experts.

Prime 4 or bust though

Darryl

Banned
Third thought: What genres are really popular right now that nintendo don't already have covered with an existing IP? FPS, WRPG, GTA-style, Realistic racer, horror. Maybe something that blends one or more of the above.

i doubt we'd get WRPG because of X and horror because of Fatal Frame/Eternal Darkness. it'd be FPS, open-world something, racer, or even a sports game. the first two being the most likely and if the FPS isn't Metroid, than I think the second would be the likeliest

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
A bald space marine kart racer would be pretty cool.

Maybe even a Warhammer 40k Kart Racer.

shaowebb

Retro studios using other licenses besides first party would be cool IMO. Lock down a franchise for an exclusive release and have it developed by Retro would honestly be a dream come true to some confused brands looking for new life.

Phantasy Star V by Retro? Oh lord yes.

TDLink

New Brand doesn't mean new IP. Typically it means an old IP done in a new way.

Something like Kid Icarus: Uprising would be a "new brand" for Kid Icarus. Metroid Prime would also be a "new brand" for Metroid.

It doesn't have to be a "dead" IP for a re-branding, but that makes more sense.

Clearly it's Star Fox X Metroid. The rumors were true! Nintendo's two space-faring franchises are one at last! The most logical crossover ever! Praise be to the Lord! I can't wait to take a Super Missile to Andross's face, or take on Mother Brain with an Arwing! And we can finally confirm who's bustier: Samus or Krystal?

So glad that "rumor" went nowhere.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
New Brand doesn't mean new IP. Typically it means an old IP done in a new way.

Something like Kid Icarus: Uprising would be a "new brand" for Kid Icarus. Metroid Prime would also be a "new brand" for Metroid.

It doesn't have to be a "dead" IP for a re-branding, but that makes more sense.
so the star tropics dream is still alive?! Hahaha

TDLink

Clearly it's Star Fox X Metroid. The rumors were true! Nintendo's two space-faring franchises are one at last! The most logical crossover ever! Praise be to the Lord! I can't wait to take a Super Missile to Andross's face, or take on Mother Brain with an Arwing! And we can finally confirm who's bustier: Samus or Krystal?

So glad that "rumor" went nowhere.

To be honest, I would have been completely ok if that rumour had come to fruition. Sounded like a neat idea and they are actually two franchises that could crossover pretty well.

Nintendo could stand to do more crossovers in a non-party game setting.

so the star tropics dream is still alive?! Hahaha

Sure, among every other Nintendo IP. I would say the stuff they have worked on (Metroid, Donkey Kong) and other stuff coming out soon (Mario, Yoshi, etc.) or recently (Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing) are probably disqualified from being options though.

I would prefer a new IP to a new take on an old Nintendo franchise even if both had innovative gameplay and were similar other than setting and characters.

Will be excited either way though.

ChainThomp

Neo Member
This is all I really want from Nintendo's e3. It's time for retro to have some creative freedom and see what they can come up with on their own. Really hoping for a western RPG or third person shooter.

trixx

I would prefer a new IP to a new take on an old Nintendo franchise even if both had innovative gameplay and were similar other than setting and characters.

Will be excited either way though.
Why? Star Tropics sounds awesome for a video fame title and it doesn't have to be remotely similar to the original fames

I really hope it isn't startropics.
It was a cool game but if brought into the modern era would be like crysis meets perfect dark.

Personally hoping for a new IP, or a rebirth of Wart and subcon. (with new main characters)

Top Bottom