• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Retro Studios' next game is a new "brand"

My dream game for retro right now would be dkcr2. Then they can go on to do whatever the fuck they want.
The thought of the original dkc2 revived like dck was,in hd, with Dixie and an awesome soundtrack would be shot to my no. 1 most anticipated game. Alas, retro thinks it's wise to turn their back on a 5 million selling series (and counting, with the 3ds port). Sigh. ...

The first one was stellar and almost perfect for a first game but they probably left so many crazy ideas on the table, I hope they revisit the series down the road at least.

TDLink

My dream game for retro right now would be dkcr2. Then they can go on to do whatever the fuck they want.
The thought of the original dkc2 revived like dck was,in hd, with Dixie and an awesome soundtrack would be shot to my no. 1 most anticipated game. Alas, retro thinks it's wise to turn their back on a 5 million selling series (and counting, with the 3ds port). Sigh. ...

I wouldn't worry. The game sold well and I am guessing it is going to sell well again on the 3DS. The new levels and port in general seem like a test run for Monster to possibly do a sequel, which is fine by me as it frees up Retro for other projects. I'd be very surprised if we don't see another DKC in the next 3 years.

Krowley

Do they mention anything about an e3 showing? Because with all the games Nintendo has to cover, I wouldn't be surprised if they left this for a 2014 reveal.

I would normally agree, but the situation for Nintendo is especially dire at the moment. They have virtually no 3rd party support that isn't money-hatted, which means they have to cover all bases by themselves (or through additional moneyhatting).

The other systems may have 8 or 10 must-have games in a given year, and a lot of those will typically be 3rd party multi-platform games, so first party stuff can be spaced out. If nintendo tries that with Wii U, especially in its current situation, they will be fucked.

If you look at the stuff we know about so far: 3d Mario, Sonic, Zelda remake, and Mario Kart, wonderful 101, Pikmin... it's all great, but there just isn't enough variety. Several major popular genres are totally absent. They'll need Bayonetta, and whatever Retro is doing, and whatever else they can get, and they need them soon, just to balance out the library.

They have to basically relaunch the system at this point. It has to go from no library to a compelling library virtually overnight.

They're also releasing a new IP no one will buy (Wonderful 101), an old niche IP no one will buy (Pikmin 3), and a Zelda remake.

No matter how it looks the Zelda remake and the Mario games (plus maybe Sonic too) will probably carry the system this holiday.

And funding the sequel to a niche IP (Bayonetta 2) and a collab between two niche Japanese series (SMT X FE)

"new brand" sounds too vague

Edit: oh s**t, my account got activated. Just in time for E3!

I like to imagine you were just thinking about posting and then suddenly realised the words had appeared on screen.

TDLink

eh while your right it will get them by it will be by a small margin and it will end up dreamcast'd by next Spring because don't forget MS and Sony's next gen platforms are coming out this fall with tons of mind blowing games getting announced. If they don't show Retro's game at e3 then they might as well delay it for Nintendo's next gen console because the Wii U will be dead by the time it arrives in late 2014. Nintendo needs all the help it can get literally right now (as in the time between now and this holiday season)

I'm sure they are going to show a ton of other stuff like Retro's game, X, Smash 4, SMT x FE, Bayonetta 2, and more. The problem is I doubt any of that (except maybe this Retro game) will release this year. Knowing it is coming should be enough to make the system's prospects a bit more hopeful though. In the long run Smash will probably be the one out of those people actually buy because, again (and unfortunately), most people just don't care about new IPs or niche IPs despite a vocal minority consistently claiming they do. I wish they would though.

And funding the sequel to a niche IP (Bayonetta 2) and a collab between two niche Japanese serieses (SMT X FE)

Right, I was just talking about games releasing this year. I highly doubt either of those will.

CrisKre

Oh those games are great and Bayonetta deserves focus since it hasnt being discussed, SMT VS FE will get its time on the spotlight to talk about third parties and FE's newfound glory, Mario trio will do the trick. But those games are already announced in some capacity, they need some wildcard and Zelda is probably not quite ready. Theres also the chance that the Retro game is nearing completion.
Let's think about this. They can only showcase so many titles before they start to cannibalize their own success. And I think they are already pushing it. How long would this Nintendo direct be? What the heel would they have left to announce for the rest of the year and what games would they prioritize as the big sellers for the holidays?
If they did show all that they have lined up, plus retros title, it would be a first in the history of the company and I don't think any other company. Extremely unlikely imho. Company choose a few heavy hitters and smaller titles to showcase at e3 to properly promote their portfolios. Throw to much in there and you dilute the message of games closer to release and more importantly are left with nothing for the future and to maintain excitement.

First time I've ever seen this opinion. Prime was fucking mind blowing when it came out, and still holds up. I'm sure people literally soiled their pants when they set foot on Tallon IV.

EGM's Mark McDonald sure agrees with you:

The intense yet strategic combat of Halo. The ingenious level design and devious puzzles of Zelda's best dungeons. The intriguing story, moody atmosphere, and spooky thrills of Resident Evil. The new Metroid stands with the very best of modern games in almost every important respect. Well, except sound and graphics, where Prime surpasses them all. The amount of time, skill, and dedication that obviously went into crafting and polishing this game just completely blows my mind. Videogames, regardless of what system they are for, just aren't supposed to sound this good, look this detailed, be this large in scope and this fun to play all at the same time; it's like the best title from six years in the future fell through a time warp. Besides one aspect of the controls (why not include the option for a dual-analog stick setup like most other first-person games?), it's hard to imagine any complaints even the most cynical gamer could have with Prime, right down to its impeccable pacing and difficulty level. It's a joy to play and nearly impossible to put down until it's all over, and even then, a stash of secrets and cool unlockables await. Whether you're new to the series or (especially) if you're an old fan with lofty expectations, Prime is better than you can imagine. An absolute masterpiece, a modern classic, and probably the most fun I've ever had playing a videogame.

TDLink

Let's think about this. They can only showcase so many titles before they start to cannibalize their own success. And I think they are already pushing it. How long would this Nintendo direct be? What the heel would they have left to announce for the rest of the year and what games would they prioritize as the big sellers for the holidays?
If they did show all that they have lined up, plus retros title, it would be a first in the history of the company and I don't think any other company. Extremely unlikely imho. Company choose a few heavy hitters and smaller titles to showcase at e3 to properly promote their portfolios. Throw to much in there and you dilute the message of games closer to release and more importantly are left with nothing for the future and to maintain excitement.

Well they have already essentially confirmed that their entire announced lineup will be showcased. This Retro game would then be an addition on top of that. I think it will be fine (and great). Games closer to release like Pikmin and Wonderful 101 are going to sell like crap anyways because people don't actually like new and niche IPs. Despite that there will definitely be another Nintendo Direct, or two, closer to their release to remind the few who do care that they exist.

Darryl

Banned
Hi everyone..it's been..quite an interesting week for me, to say the very absolute least! I'm still standing 100 percent by what I wrote. Could I elaborate on everything? Absolutely. But, the wisest choice may be to not say very much more than I already have. Believe me, I've been wanting to participate and answer questions. It's taking everything in me not to, I know this is a massive risk for me, but I'm confident on the 11th ill be vindicated. ;)

it's gonna take the smash brothers trailer with silhouettes that no one can figure out who it is to vindicate you

CrisKre

I wouldn't worry. The game sold well and I am guessing it is going to sell well again on the 3DS. The new levels and port in general seem like a test run for Monster to possibly do a sequel, which is fine by me as it frees up Retro for other projects. I'd be very surprised if we don't see another DKC in the next 3 years.
Monster ain't no retro. Unless they collaborate with retro designing and monster doing the grunt work I don't think I want.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I love Metroid as much as the next guy, but if they really bring back fucking StarTropics I would just about shit myself. It seems like the perfect game that Nintendo could reboot and have it appeal to old fogies like me as well as the more casual crowd. I envision something like the platforming portions of Uncharted with a bit less handholding, and a yo-yo combat system that's as fluid as the Arkham Asylum combat.

I dunno, it seems like the perfect property for them to do this to. Especially if they want to focus on the west since it was... a game for the west originally. I want this to happen. If it's Retro's game, that's awesome. I just want it to happen some day.

GRW810

I think Nintendo needs a exclusive dark souls kind of game. a dark, challenging game only for adults.
Yes, yes they do. That's the only other kind of thing I want Retro to be working on if they're not making Metroid Prime 4.

Wasn't there suggestions of a new, realistic IP when it was discovered Retro were hiring ex-employees of developers like Naughty Dog?

The more I think about it, a StarTropics game with Retro's brilliant attention to environment detail would be so great.

But I'll be happy with whatever they cook up, so whatevs.

TDLink

Monster ain't no retro. Unless they collaborate with retro designing and monster doing the grunt work I don't think I want.

Sure but I am sure they could still design a very great DKC game. From what I hear the new levels they made fit right in with the Retro ones.

Do you really want Retro stuck doing DKC games for the next 5 years?

Nintendo has tons of devs working on 2D platformers.

Personally, I prefer Retro to tackle other genres that the rest of Nintendo's teams aren't particularly strong in.

Didn't IGN's Retro sources leak DKCR three years ago?

IIRC DKCR "leaked" the day before it was announced due to pictures on the show floor showing the logo covered up (but still sort of see-through). This prompted Nintendo to go to projection-based logos in subsequent years. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yes, yes they do. That's the only other kind of thing I want Retro to be working on if they're not making Metroid Prime 4.

Want there suggestions of a new, realistic IP when it was discovered Retro were hiring ex-employees of developers like Naughty Dog?

Expect it to be fantastical, not too realistic.

Not sure if this is true but one of the former Naughty Dogs' developers I think said that it was refreshing that upon the move that he wasn't stuck doing realistic styles anymore.

Well they have already essentially confirmed that their entire announced lineup will be showcased. This Retro game would then be an addition on top of that. I think it will be fine (and great). Games closer to release like Pikmin and Wonderful 101 are going to sell like crap anyways because people don't actually like new and niche IPs. Despite that there will definitely be another Nintendo Direct, or two, closer to their release to remind the few who do care that they exist.

Hey, Pikmin 3 is on Famitsu's highly accruate most wanted games list at like number 4 or something.*

*This sentence may be sarcasm.

Anyway, starting with Pikmin 3/NSLU retail there's a relative barrage of titles in Japan for the system. And by that I mean more than 1 or 2 games per month.

emb

StarTropics would be great. That series could really use some modernization, but has some cool ideas. But I think people hoping for it/expecting it are dreaming, lol. I don't think its something Nintendo will revisit any time soon. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Watch it be a new IP...

...and it's another cartoony mascot platformer. GAF would tear itself in two.

Oh it's a new IP. A new kart racing IP. Launching the week after Mario Kart.

(Edit)
I think Nintendo needs a exclusive dark souls kind of game. a dark, challenging game only for adults.

Raven Blade. Believe.

TL21xx

Banned
Whatever it is, I'm there day zero. If it's really an original IP, I can't wait to see what they pull off when they have the freedom to create from the ground up.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
EGM's Mark McDonald sure agrees with you:

The intense yet strategic combat of Halo. The ingenious level design and devious puzzles of Zelda's best dungeons. The intriguing story, moody atmosphere, and spooky thrills of Resident Evil. The new Metroid stands with the very best of modern games in almost every important respect. Well, except sound and graphics, where Prime surpasses them all. The amount of time, skill, and dedication that obviously went into crafting and polishing this game just completely blows my mind. Videogames, regardless of what system they are for, just aren't supposed to sound this good, look this detailed, be this large in scope and this fun to play all at the same time; it's like the best title from six years in the future fell through a time warp. Besides one aspect of the controls (why not include the option for a dual-analog stick setup like most other first-person games?), it's hard to imagine any complaints even the most cynical gamer could have with Prime, right down to its impeccable pacing and difficulty level. It's a joy to play and nearly impossible to put down until it's all over, and even then, a stash of secrets and cool unlockables await. Whether you're new to the series or (especially) if you're an old fan with lofty expectations, Prime is better than you can imagine. An absolute masterpiece, a modern classic, and probably the most fun I've ever had playing a videogame.

I knew I liked Marc for a reason.... That review is pretty much what I think about Prime. Such a masterpiece.

CrisKre

Sure but I am sure they could still design a very great DKC game. From what I hear the new levels they made fit right in with the Retro ones.

Do you really want Retro stuck doing DKC games for the next 5 years?

Nintendo has tons of devs working on 2D platformers.

Personally, I prefer Retro to tackle other genres that the rest of Nintendo's teams aren't particularly strong in.

IIRC DKCR "leaked" the day before it was announced due to pictures on the show floor showing the logo covered up (but still sort of see-through). This prompted Nintendo to go to projection-based logos in subsequent years. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Not five years. No. That's why I stated I just want a dkcr2. Then they can go on to do anything else. My love for donkey kong country 2 knows no bounds, so them revisiting those themes and adding their magic on then had me salivating.

Want there suggestions of a new, realistic IP when it was discovered Retro were hiring ex-employees of developers like Naughty Dog?

But the ND dev Retro hired said that he/she thought Retro was a better fit when asked about working with them. It was a conversation on devianart, I think, about deadlines and realistic graphics. Take that for what you will.

TDLink

It's obviously going to be a game inspired by God Hand starring Captain Falcon.

Please someone make this game for me :(

That would sell way too many copies for Nintendo to do.
It really probably would. Captain Falcon's popularity from Smash is pretty high and waiting to be exploited.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The Naughty Dog artist also mentioned something about this being the pinnacle of his career or something like that. That makes me believe that the game will be most likely based in something that already exists.

JDSN

Banned
The Naughty Dog artist also mentioned something about this being the pinnacle of his career or something like that. That makes me believe that the game will be most likely based in something that already exists.
He said that comment was about him doing work for his brother's book. I think its BS tho.

That may just also mean he thinks it's far and away his best work yet, but I can see how you could take it the other way if he was working on an existing Nintendo IP that he absolutely loves.

GRW810

Hi everyone..it's been..quite an interesting week for me, to say the very absolute least! I'm still standing 100 percent by what I wrote. Could I elaborate on everything? Absolutely. But, the wisest choice may be to not say very much more than I already have. Believe me, I've been wanting to participate and answer questions. It's taking everything in me not to, I know this is a massive risk for me, but I'm confident on the 11th ill be vindicated. ;)

So, I have been very careful on my posting this last week and will have to continue to be for the next 13 days. Needless to say this has been the most eventful week I have had in quite some time.

Lastly, I wanted to comment real quick on the whole Prophet nickname thing. I'm not mad at that at all, it got a sincere and honest chuckle out of me. Prophet Claus would have been funnier still. But, you guys did good ill give you credit for that :)
Why do I get the feeling you're an attention-seeking 15-year-old desperately waiting for June 11th so he can laugh manically and claim he "fooled GAF."

CrisKre

That was debunked as it seems he was taking about an unrelated freelance work he did for a book. He might have been trying to deflect further speculation though.

No, IGN leaked DKCR properly.

You're thinking of NSMB Wii. Trust me.

Top Bottom