• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Some Destiny 2 info leaks from Mega Bloks toy set

mikeebi3

with the amount of D1 weapons, characters, etc I'd wager it's likely from another expansion as opposed to a sequel... I'd hope at least lol

Eager to hear either way!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Agreed. Especially on being able to reach max level without raids and PVP. Revisit to year one would just ensure, that I quit the game in no time, just like I did back then after a couple of months. I've got better things to do than grind.

I only got few exotics back then, and it took me about a month to activate all the nodes. That's not my idea of fun. Getting to actually use the exotics is far more fun, than chasing them in vain.

Great point. It's all about balance. It shouldn't be an insane grind like vanilla Destiny (especially the first few months) but it also shouldn't feel like Exotics just come to us, which I think Three of Coins has done.

They do need to come up with regular PVE events, like Queen's Wrath, so players on that side have their equivalent of Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris to keep them coming back.

This as well. It could even just be a special strike playlist with special bounties and quests that pop up for one week every month and a special gear set and weapons to collect from it.

Raven117

Highs & lows, Ying & Yang. You need the lows to feel the highs and vice versa.

A glass of water will taste juice from gods own pond if you walk though the desert for two days.

I feel ya, but some of us just don't have time to be lost in the desert for 2 days.

Need to plan and make determinations of whether spending two days is worth it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I feel ya, but some of us just don't have time to be lost in the desert for 2 days.

Need to plan and make determinations of whether spending two days is worth it.

Exactly. The fact is, most people don't have the time to devote to the game in the way it was required during vanilla.

And the game simply would not have been able to continue being successful if that didn't change.

Odds are, Destiny 2 will be more "casual friendly" as well, so I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of vanilla Destiny players leave while the series itself continues to grow.

Melchiah

Great point. It's all about balance. It shouldn't be an insane grind like vanilla Destiny (especially the first few months) but it also shouldn't feel like Exotics just come to us, which I think Three of Coins has done.

This as well. It could even just be a special strike playlist with special bounties and quests that pop up for one week every month and a special gear set and weapons to collect from it.

I actually like the addition of Three of Coins. You still need to play the game extensively to get everything, but the rewards make you feel like you're making progress. I've put 587 hours into the game, and I'm still missing some exotics, like Ruin Wings and Transversive Steps. TOC rewards also give me a reason to do some activities, like killing Taken champions on patrols, which I wouldn't bother to do otherwise.

I also agree on your earlier post about the need for matchmaking in Nightfall and Challenge/Prison of Elders. I wouldn't want it to be mandatory for daily stories though, since I like to do them alone. I'd also like to be able to play strikes solo, or as a duo, if I want to.

The PVE events should also have the equivalent of Lighthouse, and equally good gear, to reward those who beat the challenge. There's no reason to favor only one player pool. That might be something, that could keep the vanilla players interested as well.

Snwaters

It's my understanding that pieces of Vex Void and Forge of Gods ended up becoming part of The Taken King.

It was also rumored that an Activision studio (Vicarious Visions?) was working on Mars/Cabal content for an expansion pack, but that's probably being worked into Destiny 2 now.

If Destiny 2 gets delayed (and it wouldn't surprise me given that it had to be rebooted a year ago) then what VV was working on could end up getting the Rise of Iron treatment and released in Fall 2017. Combine them with the House of Wolves/Live Team and they could theoretically pump out enough content in Year 4 to stop the bleeding while the main Bungie group doubles down on making D2 in 2018.

This is all speculation though.

Destiny 2 getting delayed would be insane considering it already got delayed by a year.

Although considering they had to reboot the game last year, maybe that's for the best.

Exactly. The fact is, most people don't have the time to devote to the game in the way it was required during vanilla.

And the game simply would not have been able to continue being successful if that didn't change.

Odds are, Destiny 2 will be more "casual friendly" as well, so I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of vanilla Destiny players leave while the series itself continues to grow.

I mean, they already did this starting with the Taken King. I'm one of those weird folks that enjoyed my time with the original launch the most.

GlamFM

Banned

That´s not a fact, that´s an assumption you make.

Here´s an assumption from me: You never came close to an actual MMO, right?
Everything you just said can be easily disproven just by looking at WOW.

Here´s another assumption: Destiny is pretty much dead right now because they didn´t milk their expansion right. They handed out Loot like candy and made max light achievable by basically just showing up. Destiny has never been this dead as it is right now (THAT´S actually a fact)

Carrot on a stick and all. You don´t give the Donkey diamond coated carrots just for showing up - he wont move!

Destiny 2 won't come out this year, but let's entertain the thought. If it does come out this year, when will they reveal it? E3? That leaves what, 3 months of marketing? With rumors saying it's a proper sequel with "sweeping changes," there's no way they'll leave themselves only 3 months to promote it. The only way I see D2 coming out this year is if they reveal it in February like they did with D1. There's a content update presumably coming out in March though, so that's highly unlikely.

This is how I see it playing out: April stream reveal for new "Cabal Invasion" expansion with release in September, D2 reveal at E3 with release in Q1 2018.

You have some catching up to do.

CREMSteve

By far my most anticipated videogame. Probably the most since Metal Gear Solid 2.

Really hope they learn from their mistakes and make this truly epic, tons of NPCs, vehicles, space flight, etc. Seamless traversal with no load screens, eliminate the hubs and let us stay in the over world, managing everything on the fly. Make it more a true MMO, with a grand scale unlike no other.

The gameplay is perfection, the rest should be gravy, especially with as many people working on it as they have.

I was eating Taco Bell. I figure if we can change subclasses then they can to.

Yeah true I can see that. I guess most identify with one subclass though and I figured they do too. Like, does Shaxx really like to play defender or would he prefer to be more aggressive and play offense as a striker? I get it though if we can change so should they be able to. If that's the case it'd be neat to see which one they prefer playing.

Melchiah

Here´s another assumption: Destiny is pretty much dead right now because they didn´t milk their expansion right. They handed out Loot like candy and made max light achievable by basically just showing up. Destiny has never been this dead as it is right now (THAT´S actually a fact)

Most of my friends haven't still reached 400 light level. Most of them quitted playing, because there's no new content to play.

ZeoVGM

Banned
That´s not a fact, that´s an assumption you make.

People were very loud and clear about this back in the day. I think you're allowing your own opinions on the game to cloud reality.

The grind in vanilla Destiny, the "forever 29" stuff. You know this wasn't looked at negatively by most people. Yes, there are some hardcore players like you who are very firm in your opinions, that were okay with it.

Most people were not. It was too much.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Destiny 2 won't come out this year, but let's entertain the thought. If it does come out this year, when will they reveal it? E3? That leaves what, 3 months of marketing? With rumors saying it's a proper sequel with "sweeping changes," there's no way they'll leave themselves only 3 months to promote it. The only way I see D2 coming out this year is if they reveal it in February like they did with D1. There's a content update presumably coming out in March though, so that's highly unlikely.

This is how I see it playing out: April stream reveal for new "Cabal Invasion" expansion with release in September, D2 reveal at E3 with release in Q1 2018.

There is absolutely no way Activision allows Destiny 2 to miss the 2017 holiday season. It's going to be one of the biggest launches this entire generation. It's not going to be delayed out of two separate holiday seasons in the same way that they would never allow a new Call of Duty to release outside of a holiday season.

You're also assuming that it releases in September. Destiny 2 could be a November game. E3 to November is certainly not a strange time frame.

(But I personally believe we're going to get a big unveiling before E3, likely in April or so.)

I don't think the next content update is confirmed for March either, just a general "springtime" time frame.

I don't see why announcing something at E3 for the fall is still some foreign, undoable concept seeing how Bethesda did exactly that with Fallout 4. On top of that, the only real substantial chunk of information about that game is what they showed during their conference.

GI cover + E3 reveal and Twitch streams the rest of summer until launch or a GI cover in April/May, decent blowout at E3, and streams the rest of summer.

No way Activision misses two holiday seasons with Destiny 2.

GlamFM

Banned
People were very loud and clear about this back in the day. I think you're allowing your own opinions on the game to cloud reality.

The grind in vanilla Destiny, the "forever 29" stuff. You know this wasn't looked at negatively by most people. Yes, there are some hardcore players like you who are very firm in your opinions, that were okay with it.

Most people were not. It was too much.

People were loud and clear, but that's what kept them playing. If you look at LFG, DGAF, YouTube, Facebook whatever you can see that Destiny is at an absolute low right now.
Because they gave people everything they did not have to keep playing. Forever 29 was the carrot on a stick.

Nabbis

I hope they rework the movement and abilities to work much faster on PC. A FoV slider should also be added. Even at it's fastest, it took far too long for abilities to recharge... It's especially annoying given how there were so few of them anyway.

BLCKATK

I think the reason Destiny is at a low right is because it isn't new and shiny anymore.

Back when it released it was first time some people were experienced cooperative content like that, or the first time they were actually interested in a loot grind.

It's been 3 years since then, and players have been in that same world and have done the same dance multiple times. It gets old.

ZeoVGM

Banned
People were loud and clear, but that's what kept them playing. If you look at LFG, DGAF, YouTube, Facebook whatever you can see that Destiny is at an absolute low right now.
Because they gave people everything they did not have to keep playing. Forever 29 was the carrot on a stick.

I'm not doubting that Destiny is at an absolute low but it's certainly not "pretty much dead." There's certainly never an issue jumping into the Crucible or a Strike playlist. That's an exaggeration.

But yes, it likely is at one of its lowest moments in terms of player base, if not the lowest. But there's still plenty of players, which is clear when you play the game.

What's a little depressing is that in reaction to the player base being at a low, your first thought is that they should "milk" the expansions with a "carrot-on-a-stick" mentality rather than actual new content.

No, "carrot-on-a-stick" should never be a solution to a lack of content in an online game. That's simply bad game design that doesn't respect the player's time.

Melchiah

I think the reason Destiny is at a low right is because it isn't new and shiny anymore.

Back when it released it was first time some people were experienced cooperative content like that, or the first time they were actually interested in a loot grind.

It's been 3 years since then, and players have been in that same world and have done the same dance multiple times. It gets old.

Yep. I think that's one of the reasons, and certainly a bigger factor than the lack of grind. It's been over 16 months since TTK came out, and ROI brought nowhere near that much to the table.

GlamFM

Banned
I'm not doubting that Destiny is at an absolute low but it's certainly not "pretty much dead." There's certainly never an issue jumping into the Crucible or a Strike playlist. That's an exaggeration.

But yes, it likely is at one of its lowest moments in terms of player base, if not the lowest. But there's still plenty of players, which is clear when you play the game.

What's a little depressing is that in reaction to the player base being at a low, your first thought is that they should "milk" the expansions with a "carrot-on-a-stick" mentality rather than actual new content.

No, "carrot-on-a-stick" should never be a solution to a lack of content in an online game. That's simply bad game design that doesn't respect the player's time.

Respecting players time is a nice catchphrase everybody landed on, but in the context of Videogames has always been bullshit to me.

Again, I assume you have never played an mmo before.
Look at wow for good examples of horizontal progression that incentivizes all types of players to log on regularly.

jschreier

Quick thing: The lack of a D2 announcement has nothing to do with the release date. Bungie is well aware that they screwed up by announcing D1 so early (and talking about so much stuff that wasn't actually in the game) and I believe they are trying to avoid that this time around.

I don't know if D2 is going to hit this year (though gun to my head I'd say "yes") but the timing of when they announce it has nothing to do with that.

ViciousDS

Banned

Fuck yes, I would love a PvE version of iron banner that pops for a week. Maybe even make a horde mode style mode and you gain rep and Points buying stuff. They could bring out full vehicles and everything for it too making it a bit unique as well.

Quick thing: The lack of a D2 announcement has nothing to do with the release date. Bungie is well aware that they screwed up by announcing D1 so early (and talking about so much stuff that wasn't actually in the game) and I believe they are trying to avoid that this time around.

I don't know if D2 is going to hit this year (though gun to my head I'd say "yes") but the timing of when they announce it has nothing to do with that.

I love you press sneak fuck

:(

thank u for ur continuous words mister jason

If the next major addition to Destiny was announced today that would put it only 8-10 months out from release if it's going to make 2017.

I'm sure they have a very good idea of what is going to be content complete by release if September-November 2017 is indeed what they are shooting for as a window of releasing it.

Learning from supposed said mistakes about vanilla Destiny and content not being in the game, promises, etc they certainly wouldn't talk about features/content that may not make it into the initial release during the very first announcement/reveal of the game.

I'd be shocked if the first announcement/reveal came at E3 in June and it still released this year as it just doesn't fit with the magnitude of this game nor the workings of Activision as a mega-publisher.

That said, as my most anticipated game I certainly hope it makes it this year no matter the date of the first reveal.

So Forge of Gods and Vex Void are Destiny 2 content?

Destiny-High-Res-Image.jpg

This was the original plan but It changed around the time of House of Wolves, Plague of Darkness became Taken king and aspects of the later 2 expansions where restructured into Rise of Iron and the April update I believe.

Vex Void likely being made into a Major D2 storyline

Cabal content was planned for D1, Jason from Kotaku talked about Pyramidion being in development which I think taking everything into account was like a Cabal raid on Mars aboard a Cabal capital ship or something.

This news about a fight in the Tower and D2 not having our characters transfer makes me believe that this set is likely relating to so Destiny 1 Epilogue style expansion which ends with the fall of the tower and the loss of your character(s) in preparation for D2

ZeoVGM

Banned
Respecting players time is a nice catchphrase everybody landed on, but in the context of Videogames has always been bullshit to me.

You didn't really reply to what I said though and instead just focused on a single phrase I used.

The appropriate response by a good developer to a lack of content is adding more content. Not turning it into a "carrot on a stick" grind to artificially stretch it out.

That's bad game design and it's disheartening to see a player even suggest it.

GlamFM

Banned
You didn't really reply to what I said though and instead just focused on a single phrase I used.

Totally did. My second paragraph (you know, the one you left out...) addresses what I mean by carrot on a stick.

You have no mmo expierience. Sorry, but there's no point talking to you anymore.

Speaking of Mega Bloks, I spent like 5 hours putting this piece of shit together only to get to the legs and find out they had short me one piece needed for the legs. So it won't stand up properly. These things are a nightmare compared to Lego, bags aren't labeled, just all jumbled together. Never again, friends.
I got them jump ship for Christmas and it was missing 2 pieces. Thankfully they were cosmetic pieces but after 3 hours I was disappointed.

Raven77

Anyway, I don't mind the content or designs, but I just hope this one has a proper fleshed-out campaign that takes advantage of the level design. The gameplay is so good, and we just need some good game design to back that up.
Gotta agree. Felt like half a game at launch.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Totally did. My second paragraph (you know, the one you left out...) addresses what I mean by carrot on a stick.

You're referring to "carrot on a stick" in relation to how Destiny used to work. Destiny has never worked like an actual MMORPG, as it isn't one. It's silly to even compare them as they have monthly fees and far more content as it is.

You still had to work to reach 400 LL in Rise of Iron. It took me until The Dawning to do it. It shouldn't take too much longer than that if you're playing regularly. This was a small expansion and the amount of content does not translate well to a long grind for max LL.

As someone in this thread already said, in response to you, there are plenty of people who didn't reach 400 yet either. I see them every day myself. You could not become 400 just by "showing up" as you said.

You're looking at the game from a very narrow and personal view.

When an ongoing online game has a problem with content drying up quickly, the appropriate response to that should never be "make it harder to get the small amount of content."

Again, that's bad game design.

GlamFM

Banned
You're referring to "carrot on a stick" in relation to how Destiny used to work. Destiny has never worked like an actual MMORPG, as it isn't one. It's silly to even compare them as they have monthly fees and far more content as it is.

You still had to work to reach 400 LL in Rise of Iron. It took me until The Dawning to do it. It shouldn't take too much longer than that if you're playing regularly. This was a small expansion and the amount of content does not translate well to a long grind for max LL.

As someone in this thread already said, in response to you, there are plenty of people who didn't reach 400 yet either. I see them every day myself. You could not become 400 just by "showing up" as you said.

When an ongoing online game has a problem with content drying up quickly, the appropriate response to that should never be "make it harder to get the small amount of content."

Carrot on a stick stands for a general incentive to play. Regardless of how Destiny used to work. LL is vertical progression - don't care about that. Horizontal progression is what I'm talking about.

Now please, for the love of god, go to YouTube and check out how games like WoW or Diablo did it. (Two poorly designed games according to you)
Because I'm not going to explain it to you.

It's getting late here in Germany.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Carrot on a stick stands for a general incentive to play.

Yes, new content and lasting content is a good incentive.

The Taken King did a very solid job with this.

Your exact words were that Bungie should "milk" the content. That's bad.

GlamFM

Banned
Yes, new content and lasting content is a good incentive.

The Taken King did a very solid job with this.

Your exact words were that Bungie should "milk" the content. That's bad.

your lack of knowledge regarding mmos or loot games in genaral makes it impossible for you to understand what I mean by milking. Your unwillingness to educate yourself in that regard makes me wonder why you're milking this conversation now.

I disagree with you and that's ok.

Letitgo.gif

Ramirez

I got them jump ship for Christmas and it was missing 2 pieces. Thankfully they were cosmetic pieces but after 3 hours I was disappointed.

I got it for my son, but after wasting all that time, I took the other sets I bought him back. They cost way too much money to be missing integral pieces.

Vanilla Destiny was hardly about gaining XP or upping your light level past a certain point. VDestiny was all about getting that Legendary weapon that evaded your for months and months. I think making light level so much more important than the tools you use to actually interact with the environment was Destiny's biggest mistake. This is why I want Vanilla Destiny back. I want that RNG because playing to get it was so damn satisfying. Now though, I have to continuously hope for numbers rather than cool shit. The name of the weapon doesn't matter in the slightest because you only care about the number...which is not how I want to play the game. Its a huge problem IMO.

CLBridges

I'm so ready for any bit of info I can get on Destiny 2. I do hope the initial content released does focus on the Cabal, I just like the brute force tactics they represent.

The only thing that has me worried is their ambition. They always seem overambitious those Bungie folk, and it always comes back to bite them in the ass. If the monumental changes are true, then would a 2017 release be rushing it? Have they really been working on D2 + PC port for that long to warrant a 2017 release? There's so much riding on Destiny 2 that I just don't see it happening this year. I really hope i'm wrong though.

I'm not worry too much about a delay. The delayed it last year; created a live team to work on D1 content while rest continued on D2. High Moon and VV were brought to probably help do art and assets while Bungie works on main gameplay and story, etc.

I might be wrong but there might close to 1 billion* people working on this game. They learned so many lessons from D1, I think they know what to do regarding launch content and future content.

ZeoVGM

Banned
your lack of knowledge regarding mmos or loot games in genaral makes it impossible for you to understand what I mean by milking. Your unwillingness to educate yourself in that regard makes me wonder why you're milking this conversation now.

I disagree with you and that's ok.

Letitgo.gif

I fully understand how MMOs and loot games work, there is absolutely no reason to act pretentious over a video game debate.

I do not agree that you can compare how WoW does it to Destiny because they are different types of games. I had already said this once before but you seem overly firm on your arguments with no room to bend, whether it's anti-casual RNG or matchmaking.

I get what you're trying to say. I'm more than willing to consider it more in depth but I wish you would explain how you think Destiny would do this, as in giving examples (they did "this" but instead, they should have done "this") rather than, "You don't understand these games, go watch a YouTube video." That isn't helpful to a discussion.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't know man, they have a pretty good revenue model going. They can easily release another Rise of Iron sized expansion + Events to make up for another D2 delay.

I don't think there's any realistic way for them to have another Rise of Iron sized expansion out for the fall. RoI was already not originally planned and happened because of the internal delay of Destiny 2.

Another one like that would likely be even smaller and more "last minute."

Toxi

Banned
Vanilla Destiny was hardly about gaining XP or upping your light level past a certain point. VDestiny was all about getting that Legendary weapon that evaded your for months and months. I think making light level so much more important than the tools you use to actually interact with the environment was Destiny's biggest mistake. This is why I want Vanilla Destiny back. I want that RNG because playing to get it was so damn satisfying. Now though, I have to continuously hope for numbers rather than cool shit. The name of the weapon doesn't matter in the slightest because you only care about the number...which is not how I want to play the game. Its a huge problem IMO.
As a new player I'm not really caring about my light level or the light level for gear. Infusion means that a legendary or exotic with useful characteristics is still going to be useful (Except for Year 1 stuff because... Fuck if I know). Obtaining a new legendary or exotic is exciting for me not because of numbers, but because they're cool weapons I can stick with.

But I'm new and I haven't played for years or even months. So my perspective is going to be skewed. I can't comment on the frequency of legendary and exotic drops because I don't know the old frequency.

Top Bottom