• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sonic Adventure coming to XBLA

Shig said:
Do not want.
It would be slightly worth it to hear the lamentations of achievement whores having to dredge through Big the Cat's campaign, however.
I'll actually probably buy this, consumer/semi-achievement whore that I am, but seeing as how I'd rather kill myself than try and go for all 130 emblems again I'll be perfectly satisfied with an incomplete achievement score.

3rdman

SecretBonusPoint said:
Simply: no. Lost source code means only full Sega Saturn emulation of an iso is required, and that takes a lot of raw hardware power up to be anywhere near worth it.
It could be done...Hell PDZ runs PERFECT on Girigiri and it ran on my old-ass AMD 2800+ CPU.

_dementia said:
This game has not aged well.

Yeah, basically.

Back in August when the rumor initially cropped up (Australia gave a vague OLFC rating to "Sonic Adventure DX" with no specified platform) I actually went back and played the PC version of Sonic Adventure DX.

Seriously, if you haven't played Sonic Adventure recently, you're in for a hell of a shock. Though not as out-and-out broken or unplayable as something like Sonic 2006, the original Sonic Adventure is definitely janky and the DX port only amplifies this fact.

That's not to say the game is lacking charm, though. Dig past the comically dated visuals, funky collision detection, spastic camera, and painful voice acting and there are some levels - like Red Mountain - that manage to remain fun simply because Sonic Adventure still has the best level design out of all of the 3D Sonics. It's varied and strikes a good balance between running fast and jumping on platforms - something that can't often be said for a Sonic game.

But man is it dated feeling just the same.

x3sphere

SA1 hasn't aged well, I agree. I think the Sonic / Shadow bits of SA2 were far better than anything in SA1. Unfortunately SA2 was marred by all the gem collecting levels, those really mucked with the flow of the game.

The Sonic/Shadow levels of SA2 are alright, but they're a bit single-minded. All they are is "run run run across a highway over a bottomless pit and don't stop for anything".

SA1 is a bit more diverse.

Varjet

I played this for the first time a year ago and thought it was fun for the most part. I even glitched through a wall in the very first level!
What definitely didn't age well are the cutscenes. Ugh.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Haven't plugged my DC in for ages, but I still look through my collection every now and then and smile.

I would LOVE to have Power Stone 1 & 2 and Chu Chu Rocket on XBLA. Cat Mania!

I still play the DC original release now and again mostly because my little bro plays it, the original imo still looks nice on a SDTV but I have not played the cube/pc version for years.

Good way to see what you are getting is download the SA1 PC demo and play it in 1280x720.

It would be nice however if this port has some fixes and upgrades, i'll grab it for my collection of sonic games anyway.

Eh, SA is terrible. I tried playing it a few months ago and it was bad. That said, I will be buying it. :(

Also, fuck Sega for not releasing a version of Chu Chu Rocket for XBLA/PSN.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'd buy it, I'm sure it hasn't aged well but it'll be worth it not only for the nostalgia, but to encourage Sega to put Dreamcast games on XBLA/PSN.

Capcom....Sega....whoever, I need Powerstone(s) on my PS360. Chu chu rocket would also be an ideal downloadable game.

Chu Chu Rocket should be on live since day 1, amazing multiplayer game on the DC offline and over the net. the gameplay is built for all ages and a winner can become last place in a matter of 2-3 cats :p

I would like to see Ecco the Dolphin DC ported over, that game in HD with some touched up textures..omg omg

PJX

intheinbetween said:
I wouldn't be surprised if we get to see some CPS3 games on XBLA & PSN..

Street Fighter 3: New Generation
Street Fighter 3: 2nd Impact
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Warzard

please. Make it happen Capcom

3rdman said:
It could be done...Hell PDZ runs PERFECT on Girigiri and it ran on my old-ass AMD 2800+ CPU.

Next generation, perhaps, and even then all that effort for a game that will just look remarkably ugly to the wide audience just seems like a loss/loss event. I love PDS, its my favourite game of all time, and really the highest hope for seeing it was on GameTap, but that moment it seems has now passed. Maybe next gen all the consoles will look to get in on a 'Virtual Console' dealio with full emulators prepared, but it aint coming round this generation.

On-topic: I find Sonic Adventure 1 the most replayable of the 3d Sonics simply because you can play through Sonic, Tails and Knuckles story and be done with it. It also didn't hammer home the SONIC IS SET ON EARTH, MR PRESIDENT bullshit that SA2 did, which completely ruined the franchise for me.

But yes, the SADX version is bad news, and thats what this one will be. PC version to XBLA is a pretty easy route though, so make some quick cash alongside Needlemouse hype is what Sega is up to here. Interestingly, SA2 didn't get a PC release but if that ever makes it across then you can get that $100 Sonic Collection Premium Tin that HUELEN has a hedgepiggy bank full of magic coins just waiting for that magical day :lol

Foil

Dreamcast version of Soul Reaver on XBLA please.

Archie said:
Wouldn't SEGA have to relicense the Offspring/Bad Religion songs again if they wanted to bring Crazy Taxi to XBLA/PSN?

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah YEAH!

Sonic Adventure?

If I had a gif of Kenan Thompson (from the show Kenan & Kel) saying "WHY?" I would post the fuck out of it right now.

It's the Dreamcast dammit. There's at least fifty games better than Sonic Adventure...start with those!

Sciz

I still break out SADX PC for a quick run through it every year or two. Japanese VA with subtitles takes care of the voice acting, and from there the presentation is still slick enough to be enjoyable, warts and all. It trumps Sonic Team USA's entire output by a wide margin.

Another Chu Chu Rocket would be lovely, though.

Teknoman

Is there any chance at all that it'll run at a rock solid 60fps and have some of the glitches removed? Also Extend DLC?

andymcc

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
It's the Dreamcast dammit. There's at least fifty games better than Sonic Adventure...start with those!

i agree but i'm pretty sure it was the best selling DC game by a pretty big margin, so, that's a make-sense cash-in.

Teknoman said:
Is there any chance at all that it'll run at a rock solid 60fps and have some of the glitches removed?

:lol :lol :lol

Aru

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Sonic Adventure?

If I had a gif of Kenan Thompson (from the show Kenan & Kel) saying "WHY?" I would post the fuck out of it right now.

I miss Sonic Adventure :( It was so awesome back then. Only Big levels sucked big time, the other characters were pretty fun to play with.

Too bad that "Get all medals to unlock Mega Sonic" was a fake :(

Teknoman

andymcc said:
:lol :lol :lol

2rcvev7.gif

Sega1991 said:
That's not to say the game is lacking charm, though. Dig past the comically dated visuals, funky collision detection, spastic camera, and painful voice acting and there are some levels - like Red Mountain - that manage to remain fun simply because Sonic Adventure still has the best level design out of all of the 3D Sonics. It's varied and strikes a good balance between running fast and jumping on platforms - something that can't often be said for a Sonic game.

The worst part is Sky Deck, the controls just can't figure out which direction is which during the tilting parts, sometimes simply not letting you go one of the ways on the hanging ladders.

I also enjoyed that SADX included an alternate camera system, but it reset back to the default every single time you entered a new area or segment of the stage.

I wonder (but seriously doubt) if they'll take the opportunity to fix a few things that were kind of broken with SADX. Like the really awkward Cream cinemas where she drops the key items. The game just stops your controls and sometimes tries to focus on her, but pretty much just acts like it broke for a moment. (There's a gaudy old site watermark on there towards the end, just ignore it.)

Alphahawk

Second best Sonic game ever behind Sonic 3 and Knuckles
yeah I went there bitches

Shig said:
Do not want.
It would be slightly worth it to hear the lamentations of achievement whores having to dredge through Big the Cat's campaign, however.

You know what? Big's levels were totally worth it for the final boss fight it unlocked against Perfect Chaos. If achievements cause more people to see the game's true ending than I'm all for it.

Semi-on topic: The whole Needlenose countdown thing reminded me how awesome a character Tikal was. That ending where you find out
That Tikal was, in reality, helping you out the entire time
was pure genius. Seriously that was probably the last great Sonic character.

3rdman

SecretBonusPoint said:
Next generation, perhaps, and even then all that effort for a game that will just look remarkably ugly to the wide audience just seems like a loss/loss event.
Girigiri was a sega developed emu for the PC and it runs most Saturn games at or near 100% (depending on the title). It also takes advantage of Directx so if ported, it could run well on the 360. The problem is as you stated...it simply wouldn't make much money but if they thought it would, it'd already be done.

I'm still hoping that they'll re-release PDZ with updated graphics...it's their one true classic that hasn't been exploited fully yet.

MNC

Alphahawk said:
Second best Sonic game ever behind Sonic 3 and Knuckles
yeah I went there bitches

You know what? Big's levels were totally worth it for the final boss fight it unlocked against Perfect Chaos. If achievements cause more people to see the game's true ending than I'm all for it.

Semi-on topic: The whole Needlenose countdown thing reminded me how awesome a character Tikal was. That ending where you find out
You didn't have to get all the emblems (which is no doubt going to be an achievement) to unlock the final story chapter.

Alphahawk said:
It was so great in fact that Yuji Naka probably had nothing to do with it and fought against putting it in the final game.

DryvBy2 said:
I just want to see this:
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/dreamcast-games/7-1.jpg[img]

With 1000 achievements/Platinum... oh boy oh boy oh boy![/QUOTE]
Bit that's not the shenmue box art!

Ten-Song

Next up? Sonic Shuffle coming to XBLA/PSN! But seriously, I beat this game like twenty times over, and it was pretty much the game that killed my love of the series. It hasn't aged well, and the Sonic to shitty friend ratio is awful. My Dreamcast nostalgia has pretty much worn off at this point... at least when it comes to titles like this.

OMG Aero said:
If this leads to Power Stone on XBLA then I'm okay with this.

However! This I highly approve of!

MNC

I have fond memories of SA1 and it's quirkiness. Quick Look didn't give it a chance at all. Basically, SA2 took all of the bugs and silly animations and lipsyncing and ironed them out a bit. Actually, not so much the bugs as the animations :lol If they would actually redo Sonic Adventure and POLISH it, not update with new models and use the same engine it would indeed be an awesome game. And since I was young when i played DX, it was awesome at that time :lol

Chao

Man, the music in Sonic Adventure was SO awesome.
I'm listening to Emerald Coast right now, so freaking catchy.

Ten-Song

Know what Sega should port to XBLA/PSN before this game?

1sl7is.jpg

With an added bonus to choose between the original soundtrack, and the American soundtrack, because I like both equally.

Top Bottom