• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sonic Adventure coming to XBLA

Teknoman

Man...this is just all kinds of messed up. And we cant just say "its sega" because Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram XBLA is excellent. There has to be something else going on. Even Outrun on xbla looks nice.

Alpha_eX

besiktas1 said:
Wait a minute I'm confused, is there going to more Dreamcast games (quickly) ported to XBLA or is it just this?

There were a few up on Debug PSN before they were taken down, nothing good. Did hear about Cosmic Smash being on their though.

Alpha_eX

brain_stew said:
Crazy Taxi has a PC version as well, its a perfect candidate for a cheap port.

Far too much because of all the music and brand licences that were in the original game. Not a cheap port if they want it to be the same as the original.

Alpha_eX said:
Far too much because of all the music and brand licences that were in the original game. Not a cheap port if they want it to be the same as the original.

Well the Offspring music is already ripped out and Crazy Taxi 3 PC and Crazy Taxi PSP have all the branding stuff ripped out already, so the assets are there ready to be dropped in.

Kulock said:
[

And they ripped out the licensed music, but offered an option to play MP3s from your Memory Stick so you could play the music unofficially.

Yeah, they can just use the new assets from that version but I'd assume they'd start from the PC codebase and just drop them assets in. Makes for a much easier/cheaper port.

besiktas1

Alpha_eX said:
There were a few up on Debug PSN before they were taken down, nothing good. Did hear about Cosmic Smash being on their though.
So no power stone :( Damn it.

OT: What happened to that Spanish (I think) dude who was leaking all the PartnerNet shit on his site? Anything new to report?

voltron said:
So does this game have RPG elements?

What makes it such a treasured memory for many people?

It was the first 3D Sonic title and a pretty major step forward for console graphics. Its aged horribly though, and the adventure/RPG elements tend to involve wandering around aimlessly until you manage to trigger the next crappy cutscene by sheer dumb luck.

Teknoman

voltron said:

• First 3d Sonic
  • Awesome soundtrack
  • First and last time(?) decent voice acting ever graced the Sonic series (All the characters sound exactly as you'd think they would for the most part)
  • The last close to classic Sonic plot for a 3d title

voltron said:

It has RPG elements in the sense that there's an overworld/hub of sorts with NPCs and you acquire new gear throughout the course of the game (and that new gear is usually essential to progressing to the next area).

It's beloved for many reasons. For it's time, it was very ambitious - six playable characters, each with their own unique play style, and a storyline that often intersects with the story of the other six characters (while telling its own story all the same).

A lot of the concepts used in pretty much every 3D Sonic game were pioneered in Sonic Adventure, and often done better in it as well. Sonic Adventure also features some of the most solid, varied level designs in all of 3D Sonic, full of plenty of shortcuts and secret areas. It is also perhaps the last Sonic game not to focus exclusively on running fast, giving Sonic himself a number of slower platforming sections and even a degree of puzzle solving. It is the most well-rounded 3D Sonic game, even today.

Unfortunately, the game is a contender for having aged the worst since its release. The game has poor animation, comical english voice acting, unstable collision detection, ghastly graphics and depending on who you're playing as, somewhat floaty controls.

If you can get past that stuff, the game still has a degree of charm, however.

Blueblur1

Plus, it introduced Chao and the US Dreamcast version had simple but rewarding online support via a website (that was accessed through the game's PlanetWeb browser) that included trading Chao online and downloadable time attack missions that were part of contests. Sega has never really done anything remotely like that since Sonic Adventure.

I miss that stuff. Oh, SegaNet.

voltron said:

Ehhh.

Everything from the 1995-2000 era seems to be deep-rooted in the pleasant memories for a lot of people who are currently in their late teens/early 20's.

Most of that crap has aged terribly. Sonic Adventure especially.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Sega1991 said:
It has RPG elements in the sense that there's an overworld/hub of sorts with NPCs and you acquire new gear throughout the course of the game (and that new gear is usually essential to progressing to the next area).

It's beloved for many reasons. For it's time, it was very ambitious - six playable characters, each with their own unique play style, and a storyline that often intersects with the story of the other six characters (while telling its own story all the same).

A lot of the concepts used in pretty much every 3D Sonic game were pioneered in Sonic Adventure, and often done better in it as well. Sonic Adventure also features some of the most solid, varied level designs in all of 3D Sonic, full of plenty of shortcuts and secret areas. It is also perhaps the last Sonic game not to focus exclusively on running fast, giving Sonic himself a number of slower platforming sections and even a degree of puzzle solving. It is the most well-rounded 3D Sonic game, even today.

Unfortunately, the game is a contender for having aged the worst since its release. The game has poor animation, comical english voice acting, unstable collision detection, ghastly graphics and depending on who you're playing as, somewhat floaty controls.

If you can get past that stuff, the game still has a degree of charm, however.

Blueblur1 said:
Plus, it introduced Chao and the US Dreamcast version had a simple but rewarding online support that included trading Chao online and downloadable mini-mission that were part of contests. Sega has never really done that since Sonic Adventure.

I miss that stuff. Oh, SegaNet.

So, it's responsible for what I see as the downfall of gaming icon?

The whale thingie looked cool years ago, and the girlfriend is a Sonic nut so I'll be getting this game for convenience sake.

Dani said:

You could look at it like that, I guess. But that's like saying Crash Bandicoot 3 is responsible for Crash Bandicoot 4, 5 and 6 being so lackluster.

It is not Sonic Adventure's fault that Sonic Team became staffed by brainless drones, constructing bad 3D Sonic games on some kind of joyless assembly line.

NTom64

Teknoman said:
  • First and last time(?) decent voice acting ever graced the Sonic series (All the characters sound exactly as you'd think they would for the most part)

Everything after 06 (which was the bottom of the barrel, besides Dan Green and Mike Pollock) had "decent" VA work IMO. Black Knight especially, though obviously the same can't be said for the gameplay itself.

Blueblur1

Dani said:

The whale thingie looked cool years ago, and the girlfriend is a Sonic nut so I'll be getting this game for convenience sake.
I don't believe so. I feel Sonic's downfall is squarely the fault of Sega executives trying to squeeze money out of the one property that would guarantee them success. Sonic Adventure 2, while not as great or charming as it's predecessor, was still a very solid and fun game. But once the Dreamcast died and Sega nearly faded away, a bevvy of Sonic titles started pouring out from Sega. Some were decent (see Sonic Advance/Rush series) and some were noticeably rushed and unpolished products (see Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, etc.). If you give Sonic Team a decent budget and deadline, they can crank out a decent game (see Sonic Unleashed X360). (I find Unleashed X360 to be an admirable effort by what is rumored to be a Sonic Team that's staffed with young, rookie developers.)

One more bit about the "magic" of Sonic Adventure: There were forums and official Sega IRC channels that facilitated fanboy fangasms that I will never forget. I recall staying up late one night posting on the forums (via the game's browser) hoping that they would magically put up the recently announced Chao Black Market. Of course, I wasted that night/early morning because the Chao Black Market debuted 6 or 7 months later. :p

I was still playing Sonic Adventure at the time though. I was addicted.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Blueblur1 said:
I don't believe so. I feel Sonic's downfall is squarely the fault of Sega executives trying to squeeze money out of the one property that would guarantee them success. Sonic Adventure 2, while not as great or charming as it's predecessor, was still a very solid and fun game. But once the Dreamcast died and Sega nearly faded away, a bevvy of Sonic titles started pouring out from Sega. Some were decent (see Sonic Advance/Rush series) and some were noticeably rushed and unpolished products (see Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, etc.). If you give Sonic Team a decent budget and deadline, they can crank out a decent game (see Sonic Unleashed X360). (I find Unleashed X360 to be an admirable effort by what is rumored to be a Sonic Team that's staffed with young, rookie developers.)

On more bit about the "magic" of Sonic Adventure: There were forums and official Sega IRC channels that facilitated fanboy fangasms that I will never forget. I recall staying up late one night posting on the forums (via the game's browser) hoping that they would magically put up the recently announced Chao Black Market. Of course, I wasted that night/early morning because the Chao Black Market debuted 6 or 7 months later. :p

I was still playing Sonic Adventure at the time though. I was addicted.

I see what you are saying, however the main Sonic games were more than "decent". They were platform and genre defining all time greats.

Sonic Adventure was supposed to usher in proper 3D Sonic, it did so, but was it genre defining, platform leading all time great? Just take a look at what another gaming icon was doing on certain rival console. Sonic just didn't keep up.

It's like Adventure was Sonic's first major hurdle in which he stumbled.

Just because fans these days are appreciative of the fact he's still in the race, doesn't mean he's the old winner he used to be.

How's the re-playability in this game anyway?

gwiz210

NTom64 said:
Everything after 06 (which was the bottom of the barrel, besides Dan Green and Mike Pollock) had "decent" VA work IMO. Black Knight especially, though obviously the same can't be said for the gameplay itself.
Agreed. They really stepped up their game for Unleashed and Black Knight.

For anyone with the PC version you can increase the draw distance in the game by a really substantial amount with this simple hack I just figured out while messing with the config file.

Simply navigate to your SonicDX installation file
Open SonicDX.ini in a text editor
Alter the line "Cliplevel =1" to "Cliplevel = -1"
Save
Enjoy!!

Sadly, judging from the pictures it looks like Sega's porting team couldn't even figure out how to implement this little improvement over the stock PC game. Same goes for widescreen as well, its really shameful.

With the draw distance improved, the widescreen hack and a load of supersampling the game looks really quite nice and much improved and still runs at a perfect 60fps, these fixes should really have been included in the XBLA release. I'd take some shots but FRAPs seems to be playing up when I use supersampling in the game.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
brain_stew said:
Sadly, judging from the pictures it looks like Sega's porting team couldn't even figure out how to implement this little improvement over the stock PC game. Same goes for widescreen as well, its really shameful.

With the draw distance improved, the widescreen hack and a load of supersampling the game looks really quite nice and much improved and still runs at a perfect 60fps, these fixes should really have been included in the XBLA release. I'd take some shots but FRAPs seems to be playing up when I use supersampling in the game.

They could be aiming for an untouched port, keep the original graphics intact... for whatever inane reason.

Dani said:
They could be aiming for an untouched port, keep the original graphics intact... for whatever inane reason.

Well that's one way to spin it.............

I'm Sure there's loads of people out there that have nostalgia for popin, shitty framerates and aliasing. The fact that they're porting the PC version completely undoes any assertion that accuracy was their aim, they're clearly just lazy/untalented/uncaring/understaffed/underpaid hacks and this is a cheap cash in, nothing more.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
brain_stew said:
Well that's one way to spin it.............

I'm Sure there's loads of people out there that have nostalgia for popin, shitty framerates and aliasing. The fact that they're porting the PC version completely undoes any assertion that accuracy was their aim, they're clearly just lazy/untalented/uncaring/understaffed/underpaid hacks and this is a cheap cash in, nothing more.

Take a gander at the Wii's Virtual Console. Some folks do want games as they were.

However XBLA really isn't the best place to do it and certainly not with a flagship property like Sonic.

Then again, it is Sega.

Edit: Wait, this is the PC version? Well, technically it's still a true port of the PC version when it came out on a randomly typical PC setup back then.

Wait, no, fuck it. It's a shambles and a disgrace. Someone just a few posts up made a simple tweak and improvement with a few minutes work that this port could have used and didn't.

Dani said:
Take a gander at the Wii's Virtual Console. Some folks do want games as they were.

However XBLA really isn't the best place to do it and certainly not with a flagship property like Sonic.

Then again, it is Sega.

Those are 2D games, big difference, the 3D titles on the VC actually receive significant enhancements. Again though, they're clearly not aiming for accuracy, otherwise they'd be emulating the Dreamcast title, not porting the PC version.

Dani said:
Wait, no, fuck it. It's a shambles and a disgrace. Someone just a few posts up made a simple tweak and improvement with a few minutes work that this port could have used and didn't.

Yeah, that was me! :lol

A few minutes of experimenting and I figured out how to nearly treble the draw distance of the environment, and someone else figured out how to hack in widescreen ages ago. With an impending retail release these guys couldn't even manage that, really now, that's just lazy. There's not even any AA ffs? :lol

Its just a cheap, botched, lazy, sloppy mess of a cash in, for shame SEGA, for shame.

Rlan

People seem to be forgetting that this isn't a port of the Dreamcast version, but is a port of the GameCube / PC version which had enhanced models.

How did the PC version deal with Chao anyhow? Just remove the VMU / GBA unit?

First and last time(?) decent voice acting ever graced the Sonic series (All the characters sound exactly as you'd think they would for the most part)

AWW YEAH THIS IS HAPPENIN'

WATCH OUT YOU'RE GONNA CRASH!! AHH!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
brain_stew said:
No but forcing some form of AA through your drivers should work, oh and use that tool that SEGA1991 just linked to play it at your native resolution. If you've got a 5xxx series card you should be able to force supersampling as well.

Yeah, I have a 5770, so I'll look into forcing supersampling and AA. I assume you do that via the Catalyst control center?

N4Us said:
oh no

Knuckles voice reminds me of Brian from Family Guy for some bizarre reason

I always thought he reminded me of Ray Liotta, myself.

Funnily enough, before SA came out, I always figured Knuckles would have a Jamaican accent of some sort.

Combichristoffersen said:
Yeah, I have a 5770, so I'll look into forcing supersampling and AA. I assume you do that via the Catalyst control center?

Yeah, oh and supersampling is AA, it just applied to everything. Be sure to try out that draw distance hack I just posted previously.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Teknoman said:
Man...this is just all kinds of messed up. And we cant just say "its sega" because Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram XBLA is excellent. There has to be something else going on. Even Outrun on xbla looks nice.
Sega Japan > Sega America.

GhaleonEB

HUELEN10 said:
hskumh.jpg

WHY SEGA WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

They couldn't be lazier if they tried! WTF. :lol
Don't tempt them!

Loam

Reinstalled Sonic DX on my PC to test out some of the tweaks mentioned in this thread. Holy shit, this game has got to have the worst camera of all time. I mean, I remember it being bad. But god damn.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Wren said:
Reinstalled Sonic DX on my PC to test out some of the tweaks mentioned in this thread. Holy shit, this game has got to have the worst camera of all time. I mean, I remember it being bad. But god damn.

Your robbing Sega of money. At least wait and buy it on XBLA so you can be reminded after giving away your money.

Your going against Sega's plan here.

Wren said:

Yeah, even in 1999, people were complaining about how spastic the camera was.

Top Bottom