• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sonic Adventure coming to XBLA

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
adelante said:
LIES! How can it not be an issue of habits when the apostrophe and 'E' are entirely different keys altogether?!? YOU'RE LAZY!!

*tears hair off*

Tired typing meaning lazy typing means spelling mistakes that Firefox dictionary sometimes misses. =P

NameGenerated said:
an habitual?

See, I did that one on purpose. ;)

Now, about SA on XBLA...

Kron

Banned
Rlan said:
People seem to be forgetting that this isn't a port of the Dreamcast version, but is a port of the GameCube / PC version which had enhanced models[/B]

The enhanced models looked worse if anything, The DC version had that very bold Sonic Team look with solid colours which was completely lost in the PC version.

I kind of wish they ported the dc original in this case of 30fos and 640x480 crap, I also prefer how sonic looks before the shifty directors cut models were added in. Kind of a shame really.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
With the draw distance improved, the widescreen hack and a load of supersampling the game looks really quite nice and much improved and still runs at a perfect 60fps, these fixes should really have been included in the XBLA release. I'd take some shots but FRAPs seems to be playing up when I use supersampling in the game.
Even with those fixes, it is still missing the proper lighting. The PC version has a VERY flat appearance with all objects in the world appearing almost unlit. The Dreamcast version had a much richer appearance.

Upsidedown Fuji said:
I was a Chao breeding nut back then. I bought so many VMUs. Worth every penny!
I had a friend who didn't own a DC but brought a VMU so he could take his Chao home with him and battle me and other friends at school when you connect two VMU's together.

This was only 2 or so years after the tamagotchi craze in the UK so it's rather obvious that Chao's were the next step.

I also had some homebrew on my VMU such as tetris and snake, would play them often :D

I probably still have a chao saved on at least one of my VMUs in storage along with my original PSO hunter data...

Battling and racing them was really fun for how simple it was. I got one of my friends horribly addicted and he didn't even have a DC. He just sponged off mine. >_<

Nakasan

The online competitions were friggin fantastic.

The greatest time I've had videogaming. I won a competition, one sponsored by reebok, and I KNEW at the time it would be the peak of my life.

Two job promotions, one uni degree and one wedding day later and I've so far been proven right. :lol

So far I can't see anything to tempt me into quad-dipping (Dreamcast, PC, Gamecube bought already)

You've gotta be kidding... no widescreen support? Seriously... the fuck man? This is just sad. Funny thing is, all the glitches from the PC port are probably going to be even more present now. The PC version is the only version where I've fallen through the floor multiple times.

Did anyone ever find out what the "Extend" mode was? It can't be the DX extras since this is a port of the PC version.

Nakasan said:
The online competitions were friggin fantastic.

The greatest time I've had videogaming. I won a competition, one sponsored by reebok, and I KNEW at the time it would be the peak of my life.

Two job promotions, one uni degree and one wedding day later and I've so far been proven right. :lol

So far I can't see anything to tempt me into quad-dipping (Dreamcast, PC, Gamecube bought already)
That reebok trainer comp was cheated, as in there were unofficial pads which somehow aided sonic, something to do with the analog stick. it sounds bull but it's true. Autopad rev spin too.

Because of those fucks I was pushed out of the top 50 :/ my time was near perfect too including rolling up the mountian at the end for the last trainer instead of using the springs :lol

BTW which place did you finish in, you're not that first place person who ODM interviewed after are you?

Diablohead said:
That reebok trainer comp was cheated, as in there were unofficial pads which somehow aided sonic, something to do with the analog stick. it sounds bull but it's true.

Sonic's running speed wasn't limited to the official pad's max tilt on the analog stick. The unofficial pads had a wider gate area which let the sticks tilt a little further, which made Sonic run faster than on the official pads.

Kulock said:
Sonic's running speed wasn't limited to the official pad's max tilt on the analog stick. The unofficial pads had a wider gate area which let the sticks tilt a little further, which made Sonic run faster than on the official pads.
Yep that's it, you can also do it by playing around with the analog magnet if you take an official pad apart.

It's odd how the game has no regular limit on flat land and they must have known, I mean was the DC pad made 100% before they worked on the game, not ever having a changing analog stick? it's odd.

You could also use that trick and make amy's hammer jump like 5 times higher.

Kulock said:

Was this trick kept in the GC version? That's fucking interesting.

Sonic Adventure really was an amazing game in terms of speedrunning/glitching.

I watched a few superplays awhile back and my mind was blown to bits by all of the insane shortcuts available.

Why do people keep mentioning Afterburner Climax btw? Yeah I know I know NDAs and whatever but damn, that sounds a billion times more interesting than a shitty SA port.

MNC

The only thing this game was missing is POLISHING POLISHING POLISHING...

It reeks of amateur the way the game puts together. Sonic spawns just a bit in midair with the knuckles boss fight, animations don't correspond to eachother, sound overlaps and doesn't fit in correctly with the timeline of the cutscenes.

And yet I love this game.

Chao raising was so awesome and I hated they left it out after SA2. They must bring it back!

Nakasan

Diablohead said:
That reebok trainer comp was cheated, as in there were unofficial pads which somehow aided sonic, something to do with the analog stick. it sounds bull but it's true. Autopad rev spin too.

Because of those fucks I was pushed out of the top 50 :/ my time was near perfect too including rolling up the mountian at the end for the last trainer instead of using the springs :lol

BTW which place did you finish in, you're not that first place person who ODM interviewed after are you?

Finished first. Yeah, interviewed by ODM and can catagorically state that I never ever used them "cheat" pads. As I remember it, after the reebok competition the online compos became cheat infested, but I never used them. Still don't know anything about them even now!

I wonder how much faster I could of gotten if I'd known about these pad glitches?! Didn't realise it went as far as increasing his max running speed!! That's mad!!

Edit: Actually, not faster at all. Just remembered, I used spindash from start to end pretty much.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Regarding the PC tweaks, I am unable to enable custom resolutions using the SADX tweaker. Any ideas?

Furthermore, there are no sound effects playing for me (just voice and music).

I'm running Windows 7, so perhaps there is an issue there?

Blueblur1

Those competitions, online Chao support, glitches and exploits, and a thriving online community for a game that wasn't really online is what made Sonic Adventure special the first time around. Oh, and being a decent game and the first 3D Sonic helped. I doubt Sega could ever replicate that experience with a re-release of SA or even a new game.

Blueblur1 said:
Those competitions, online Chao support, glitches and exploits, and a thriving online community for a game that wasn't really online is what made Sonic Adventure special the first time around. Oh, and being a decent game and the first 3D Sonic helped. I doubt Sega could ever replicate that experience with a re-release of SA or even a new game.
The DC was too far ahead with it's dialup modem out of the box and online features for games, a shame it took a while before any other game console had those features.

You could also upload your SA1 save to their leaderboards for how fast you collected all emblems, I think my DC record was 9 hours 37 minutes or something. That kind of stuff helped me keep on playing my DC games more then I probably would have offline.

Good fun in Sega Rally 2 also, you were given a code after playing time trial, you would go enter it on the SR2 website and it adds you to a leadboard (which now days is all automatic from the game itself) but then one day someone cracked the code and entered a load of impossible time attack times :(

Nakasan

Blueblur1 said:

Very acurate! The only way they could recapture that would be to release a new Sonic game along side a new Sega console and have that game be stonkingly awesome and have plenty of community stuff going on online for it.

I really really miss Sega consoles.

HUELEN10

Nakasan said:
Very acurate! The only way they could recapture that would be to release a new Sonic game along side a new Sega console and have that game be stonkingly awesome and have plenty of community stuff going on online for it.

I really really miss Sega consoles.
Get a Zeebo?
la34k.jpg

Doesn't this have the DC version of SA, or was it canned?

HUELEN10 said:
Get a Zeebo?
la34k.jpg

Doesn't this have the DC version of SA, or was it canned?

Wasn't that a misconception due to that catalog image using the DC art? I remember seeing a Zeebo video reel on YouTube ages ago, and I saw like one Sonic game in the Advance style that pretty much was about Sonic jumping on platforms to get to the top or something, wasn't that a cellphone game?

HUELEN10

Hero of Legend said:
Wasn't that a misconception due to that catalog image using the DC art? I remember seeing a Zeebo video reel on YouTube ages ago, and I saw like one Sonic game in the Advance style that pretty much was about Sonic jumping on platforms to get to the top or something, wasn't that a cellphone game?
Do you have a link? I kinda want to see!

Blueblur1

I think a new Sonic game, that's at the same level of quality that Unleashed 360 is at or better, with online community support (leaderboards, Chao trading, competitions w/ small rewards like a theme for your console of choice's dashboard/XMB) would be sufficient. No new Sega console required.

It's a shame that we might never see that level of support in a future Sonic game.

HUELEN10

Blueblur1 said:
I think a new Sonic game, that's at the same level of quality that Unleashed 360 is at or better, with online community support (leaderboards, Chao trading, competitions w/ small rewards like a theme for your console of choice's dashboard/XMB) would be sufficient. No new Sega console required.

It's a shame that we might never see that level of support in a future Sonic game.
Hopefully Project Needlemouse will deliver. We really need it to.

HUELEN10

Hero of Legend said:
Aha! Here's the vid, it's a Tectoy digital reel, Tectoy made Zeebo, so it may very well be about Zeebo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7P9gv6Uq10

Shows Sonic 1 and Sonic Jump.
Damn. It's not even Sonic 1, it's cellphone Sonic 1. :lol

I apologize for even bringing this shit up. I honestly thought that SA was at least planned or shown at some point, I could have sworn that it was.

HUELEN10 said:
Damn. It's not even Sonic 1, it's cellphone Sonic 1. :lol

I apologize for even bringing this shit up. I honestly thought that SA was at least planned or shown at some point, I could have sworn that it was.

Don't be sorry, I was fucking curious about that, they even showed RE4 in that catalog IIRC. But the video pretty much answered our questions. :lol

Edit: The images in question:

2rp4705.jpg
2mws8w9.jpg

http://www.zeeboinc.com/#titles

Odd that they no longer list SA on the list (but the photo url still works)

Edit 2: Aha, RE4 came out on the iPhone:

http://wireless.ign.com/objects/020/020503.html

But let's stop talking about the Zeebo shall we? :lol

Achievement list, going by a poster on Assemblergames.com:

DaE said:
Sonic Adventures Achievements;

Miles "Tails" Power:
Become friends with Tails.

Knuckles the Echidna:
Become friends with Knuckles.

Amy Rose:
Become friends with Amy.

E-102 "y":
Become friends with E-102.

Big the Cat:
Become friends with Big.

Sonic the Hedgehog:
Clear the Sonic story.

Super Sonic:
Clear all character stories.

The Fastest & Stongest:
Get Level A on all the Action Stages.

Sub Game Master:
Get all Emblems of the Sub Game.

Chao's Best Friend:
Get all Emblems of the Chao Race.

The Adventurer:
Get all Emblems in the Adventure Field.

The Perfect Adventurer:
Get all 130 Emblems.

Sounds Easy?

Not too bad, collecting emblems for an achievement was one I was expecting, the slowest one imo is beating all characters, will be a snooze.

This is MUCH better then collecting 100 rings, scoring over 50k points, finding the first emerald etc.

Aspiring said:
Man i want this on PSN. I ma so jealous. Any chance?

What's the history of DC games on XBLA? Have any also been released on PSN?

Question to the PC + GC version owners, what graphical effects were missing in the PC version that were in the GC version? And were the Game Gear games in the PC versions? And what was the GBA connectivity replaced with?

Peff

Hero of Legend said:
What's the history of DC games on XBLA? Have any also been released on PSN?

Question to the PC + GC version owners, what graphical effects were missing in the PC version that were in the GC version? And were the Game Gear games in the PC versions? And what was the GBA connectivity replaced with?

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned it's in the PSN debug units as well, so I guess it'll be multiplatform. The PC version was missing some shaders, the water looked worse, the Game Gear were unlockable in the same way (and nothing was missing) and I don't think they did anything about the GBA connectivity.

Peff said:
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned it's in the PSN debug units as well, so I guess it'll be multiplatform. The PC version was missing some shaders, the water looked worse, the Game Gear were unlockable in the same way (and nothing was missing) and I don't think they did anything about the GBA connectivity.

Ah, I see. And I just looked at a vid of the PC version's garden, and the GBA unit was replaced/dumbed down into JUST a naming and releasing machine, wow.

MNC said:
The only thing this game was missing is POLISHING POLISHING POLISHING...

It reeks of amateur the way the game puts together. Sonic spawns just a bit in midair with the knuckles boss fight, animations don't correspond to eachother, sound overlaps and doesn't fit in correctly with the timeline of the cutscenes.

And yet I love this game.

Chao raising was so awesome and I hated they left it out after SA2. They must bring it back!
Yeah. I spent loads of time with this game when I got a Dreamcast. The level design is the biggest WTF nowadays. Man, it's horrible. :lol

Chao gardens were pretty awesome. I remember making a Chaos chao. Freaking sweet! :lol

gutter_trash said:
this one will be the toughest:

this one will be a grind

this one too will be a grind

I still own the Prima strat guide; dust off a 10 year old book to put it back to use
Well between the "all level A emblems" and "all Chao emblems" you've pretty much gotten everything. Other than that you would just need the 7 character endings and any sub games.

Aspiring

Peff said:

Oh fucking sweet :D You have made my day, i CANNOT wait for this! I still remember the day the Dreamcast launched in Australia. It was the most fucked up launch. Not only did they delay it like the day before it came out, but they had NO Sega games! So i had to wait about 2 weeks for Sonic Adventure. Than when it came, they still didn't have VMU's yet. So i had to keep playing, turning it off, and repeating again. But fuck i enjoyed every second of it. This game has a special place in my heart, no matter how its aged.

Aspiring said:
Oh fucking sweet :D You have made my day, i CANNOT wait for this! I still remember the day the Dreamcast launched in Australia. It was the most fucked up launch. Not only did they delay it like the day before it came out, but they had NO Sega games! So i had to wait about 2 weeks for Sonic Adventure. Than when it came, they still didn't have VMU's yet. So i had to keep playing, turning it off, and repeating again. But fuck i enjoyed every second of it. This game has a special place in my heart, no matter how its aged.
I suggest you go back and read the past couple pages before getting your hopes up, since this port looks straight up rancid. :(

MNC

Enhanced graphics: The main characters were re-created with higher polygon counts and shader technology was also implemented for effects like rippling water (shader effects are not present in the PC version, however).

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Adventure
That's nutty, missing shaders? I want missing shaders :(

onken

This is just awful, why must they shatter my dreams in this way.

Also, I forgot awful the cutscenes are in this game.

Top Bottom