• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony coming up with 6 inch, Full HD Android phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravage

Great specs but i don't want a Note-size phone. Odin on the other hand, could be exactly what i need.

I assume these will be the first phones to ship with the new Exmor RS sensors?

KillGore

I guessed he didn't (only cos that info is in the OP). But without any further info on the rumoured Sony...

Don't suppose you or anyone happens to know the physical size of the two Notes??

Note 2 is 5.95 inches tall, Note 1 is smaller (but wider)

Akira

If the rumors are true, Yuga and Odin are the same phone with different designs. They are 5-inch 1080p phones with quad core S4 Pro chipset to be released in early Q2. While it is rumored that Sony will release a 6-inch "phablet", it will not be Yuga. This article is misinterpreting the leaks being given out by insiders.

slider

Thanks KillGore.

A friend of mine has the Note 2 and it didn't strike me as unweildly or anything. But he did comment on his preference for my Galaxy though.

Emily Chu

Banned
Remember when phones were getting smaller? What happened to that?

Sounds cool though, I'd like to see it.

IPhone happened and also Android

I for one welcome our new 7-9" phonletop overlords.

Hell make it run windows 8 pro desktop edition and it may be the only device you need pack it with NFC and throw out your wallet and keys as well.

What? That is an awkward size... might as well jack up the resolution a bit and increase the size to 7" and make it a tablet.

Define phone.
bi-bop4.jpg
alcatelradiocom2000.jpg

Once smartphones get as big as Bi-Bop and Radiocom 2000 phones the industry will have gone full circle.

A 6" with a little bezel works for me. I am masturbating to the thought as I type. 6" hi spec phone sounds sexy as fuck.

If you made the Galaxy S3 a little more square, and minimize the bezel you'd have a 6" phone there, its not much bigger. It could potentially be not as long.

Mario007

A 6" with a little bezel works for me. I am masturbating to the thought as I type. 6" hi spec phone sounds sexy as fuck.

If you made the Galaxy S3 a little more square, and minimize the bezel you'd have a 6" phone there, its not much bigger. It could potentially be not as long.

Plus, think no physical button but only on-screen.

I'm mostly interested which design language (Arc or NXT) this phone (and Odin) are gonna get. Although some sources say that this and Odin are the same with different designs and there's another model out there that is the 6 inch phone. If so I can see the two design languages being employed for Odin and Yuga.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
People don't use cell phones as phones as much as they do Internet devices. So this increase in size is good and to be expected.

That said, I currently own a Note 1. I think I'm selling it for an N4.

Plus, think no physical button but only on-screen.

I'm mostly interested which design language (Arc or NXT) this phone (and Odin) are gonna get. Although some sources say that this and Odin are the same with different designs and there's another model out there that is the 6 inch phone. If so I can see the two design languages being employed for Odin and Yuga.

I would like a physical home button. Not capacitive. Physical like the S3.

slider

I would like a physical home button. Not capacitive. Physical like the S3.

I'm not a huge fan of touchscreen, mainly because I'm not used to it, so I'd like a physical button too. But given the rumoured screen size and speculation about a small bezel perhaps they could position a couple of important buttons elsewhere on the body.

Hmm, fiddling with my S3 I don't see how anyone could do it easily but Vita's rear touch sensitivity got me thinking.

My next freewheeling thought is: perhaps not an actual physical button but a touch sensitive area on the back of the phone. But then what about the battery??

Arrrrgghh, thankfully I don't work in design!

Mario007

I'm not a huge fan of touchscreen, mainly because I'm not used to it, so I'd like a physical button too. But given the rumoured screen size and speculation about a small bezel perhaps they could position a couple of important buttons elsewhere on the body.

Hmm, fiddling with my S3 I don't see how anyone could do it easily but Vita's rear touch sensitivity got me thinking.

My next freewheeling thought is: perhaps not an actual physical button but a touch sensitive area on the back of the phone. But then what about the battery??

Arrrrgghh, thankfully I don't work in design!

From the resolution leaks we'll get on-screen buttons like Nexus devices and probably have a lock-screen, volume and camera buttons on the side of the phone.

slider

^^Yeah, that of course makes sense but I was trying to spin a few ideas around my head. I would like the best of both worlds but it's improbable.

Cheers.

I like a big screen, but 6'' is WAY too big. I max at about 5''...I'm on Verizon and waiting on the DROID DNA, but if it doesn't meet my standards (expandable memory being the biggest) I'm going GS3.

Note: And not 5" like the Intuition. Saw one the other day. Yuck.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Crossposting:

This isn't the 6-inch (ha), but the 5-inch Yuga:

-----------------------------------------------------------

We got us a new leak..Sony's Yuga:

Sony will not be happy about this at all, but pictures of the Sony C660X (C6603) handset (codenamed Yuga) have leaked. There are seven pictures in total and everything we have been told by our sources up until now, suggest that these pictures are the real deal.

The site that has leaked the pictures, Android Schweiz, claims Yuga will come with a 1.5GHz quad-core processor, 2GB RAM, a surprising 12MP camera (we always thought 13MP Exmor RS was pretty much a dead cert) and a 5-inch 1080p display. The camera may be upgraded by the time it comes to launch though.

The Yuga comes in a unibody enclosure, therefore do not expect to be able to replace the battery. It will also be the first Sony Xperia phone to come with a glass back, similar to the iPhone 4/4S. The handset design looks elegant with a boxy shape (no arc or NXT features here) and a very thin bezel either side of the display. It has a striking chrome power button on the right side with volume rocker in the middle. A dedicated camera button is also present where you’d expect it to be.

As can be seen in the pictures below, this prototype is running Android 4.1.1, a new kernel version (3.4) as well as 10.1.A.0.XXX firmware, which we already know is Jelly Bean. It all looks like a very nice package indeed and we can’t wait to see/hear more. So, would you buy it?

SonyC6603Yuga_1.jpg

SonyC6603Yuga_2.jpg

SonyC6603Yuga_3.jpg

SonyC6603Yuga_4.jpg

SonyC6603Yuga_5.jpg

SonyC6603Yuga_6.png

SonyC6603Yuga_7.jpg

I thought having a glass back was a terrible idea now everyone is doing it? Also 6 inches puts it at a tablet territory right?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
6 inch phone? lol and I thought people taking photos with a tablet looked dumb. This will be hilarious when people hold this up to their ear.

People don't use cell phones as phones as much as they do Internet devices. So this increase in size is good and to be expected.

That said, I currently own a Note 1. I think I'm selling it for an N4.

How do you like it? I'm seriously considering the Note 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom