• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Sony paying for many AAA timed exclusives (Previously associated with Xbox)

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Not really a rumor. They've already done it with Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo, two games that by all accounts, would have been multi-platform at release.

This is a pretty crazy move IMO. Sony hasn't really done this in the past. We've seen it more from Microsoft. Sony must have paid a pretty penny for those two.

Mr Hyde

Nothing new. Microsoft has done the same. Most notable example is Rise of the Tomb Raider. One year exclusivity with a franchise typically associated with Playstation.

Personally I hate these types of deals. Corporate shit tactics where they offer a huge amount of money to ensure that a lot of fans, of a certain preferred platform, are not getting the game until much later. And don't get me started on timed exclusivity on DLC.

It's just fucking scummy all around. Keep your marketing rights for the game but don't fuck a big portion of the fanbase over by denying access to it for a year or two.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Not really a rumor. They've already done it with Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo, two games that by all accounts, would have been multi-platform at release.

This is a pretty crazy move IMO. Sony hasn't really done this in the past. We've seen it more from Microsoft. Sony must have paid a pretty penny for those two.
Seems like he is talking about way more games.... he acknowledges those already. Says they are 'cutting cheques all over town'

Korso

This is the sort of BS that I just cant get behind. If they are helping pay for a struggling third-party game, then I understand. But paying money to say you guys cant play X title is annoying. Time will tell.

Pallas

What a waste of money that would be instead of investing in acquiring game studios and built exclusives from there instead.

Never liked timed exclusives, regardless who does it. I can understand it with smaller studios that might need help with funding, but not giant ones.

Any guesses on which games?

Elderscrolls? Witcher?

Highly doubt any of those, if anything Microsoft would had sought after Bethesda and CDRed for time exclusivity, both have huge fan bases on Xbox as they do with Playstation. I’d say if any big publisher IP, maybe some sort of deal with Take-two and GTAVI, or any other new game by Rockstar.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Nothing new. Microsoft has done the same. Most notable example is Rise of the Tomb Raider. One year exclusivity with a franchise typically associated with Playstation.

It's just fucking scummy all around. Keep your marketing rights for the game but don't fuck a big portion of the fanbase over by denying access to it for a year or two.

Yeah I was pissed off when MS did it for Rise as well. It's just shitty practise all round.

JOEVIAL

On another note, I personally think Sony realized their PS5 "exclusive" launch lineup was lacking. I think this is the biggest reason why Sony picked up so many timed exclusives.

I believe only Spider-Man miles is confirmed to release this year, Sackboy will probably release this year, and I don't consider the pack-in Astro bot a full experience.

Bryank75

Banned
On another note, I personally think Sony realized their PS5 "exclusive" launch lineup was lacking. I think this is the biggest reason why Sony picked up so many timed exclusives.

I believe only Spider-Man miles is confirmed to release this year, Sackboy will probably release this year, and I don't consider the pack-in Astro bot a full experience.
Kena and Cyberpunk will be at launch too.... and others. I'm not positive on the full list though!

CeeJay

Buying third party timed is a crutch for when you're own first party games are not enough and you need to fill gaps in the release schedule compared to the competition. Surely Sony don't need to do that?

sublimit

Banned
Waste of money IMO.They should use that money to either acquire more studios or beef up even more their current ones.

That was the same mistake that Xbox360 did at the beginning of last gen. It helped them in the short term but bited them in their ass long term.
Admittedly Sony is in a much better position than MS was at the start of the 7th gen but i still think they should invest their money more cleverly.

In any case personally i never cared about timed exclusives and they never affected my console purchases. I have no problem waiting.

Did Sony get timed exclusivity for AAA games at the start of this gen?

I hope they're not going to be aggressive with this tactic. I'll be pissed if Microsoft tries to get games like starfield as timed exclusives because of this

Last edited:

yurinka

They have an insane market share, so many companies -specially indies- simply decide for themselves to go timed console exclusive, or at least in marketing deals, without any moneyhat needed.

But yes, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all pay for certain 3rd party exclusives. Sometimes total exclusives, sometimes timed console exclusives, sometimes a marketing deal (to put their games on their conferences, to be more favorable on PR stuff, maybe some exclusive minor DLC, exclusive console bundle or maybe timed exclusive DLCs).

I think this (plus Godfall, don't forget it) in addition to multi stuff would be enough for 2020, the first month and a half of the console aprox. Think that PS5 will also run PS4 games so recent exclusives like Tsushima, TLOU2 or FFVIIR will be on PS5 too, in addition to recent PS4 multis like Cyberpunk.

Think also that even if they didn't say it covid may have delayed/will delay games planned for 2020/2021. Some of the games they shown at the reveal looked as games that could be released late 2020 or 2021 but appeared as TBA. Maybe they are planned for 2021 and even it's likely to achieve that goal, for now they prefer to announce a date because aren't sure. Example: the Horizon 2 quote of 'we're targeting 2021' mentioned after the event but not in the trailer.

I bet Ratchet, GT7, Horizon II, Sackboy, Demon's Souls, Returnal, Destruction AllStars in addition to several of the smaller timed console exclusive games shown are all targeting 2021. Then in 2022 we'd get Project Athia, Gof War 2, a smaller Naughty Dog game (maybe a TLOU2 multi or standalone DLC), the big unannounced Sony Japan game and Days Gone 2 or the unnanounced game from the new Sony San Diego Studio (Uncharted 5 or spin-off with probably the girl as main character).

Sure, I assume than in addition to the traditional marketing deals with CoD, FIFA, GTA, Ubi and so on they may have moneyhatted FFVIIR or Project Athia, plus some fillers like Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokio and some small cool indies. But well, just with their internal games they are going to have a great lineup for the first year or two with all the announced games plus the common sense guesses.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Paying for exclusives is an old Sony strategy isn't it? It's definitely not the first time they've done it.

I'm ok with paid exclusives if the game made is something that wouldn't have been developed otherwise.

Say for example Sony approached Konami and said "you don't appear to be using the Silent Hill IP? Here, take this cash, develop an exclusive Silent Hill game for PS5".
In my opinion that's cool, the game probably wouldn't have been made had Sony not approached Konami with the idea and then helped to fund it.

Paying for games that would have been on all consoles (timed exclusivity for example) is pretty shitty for consumers.

wipeout364

Doesn’t Microsoft have the marketing for Cyberpunk? Would seem pretty weird for it to be a PS5 exclusive.

I like how so many Sony people shit all over Microsoft for this in the past (Tomb Raider) and now it’s just business as usual when Sony does it. unbelievable.

Just so I am clear I have no problem with this. It’s good for developers and helps support their games, I was fine with it on Xbox and am fine with Nintendo and Sony doing it.

cormack12

Gold Member
Buying third party timed is a crutch for when you're own first party games are not enough and you need to fill gaps in the release schedule compared to the competition. Surely Sony don't need to do that?

Three of their main studios are nowhere near shipping a game at the moment (SSM, ND, Sucker Punch), two having only just shipped complete PS4 titles. Given every major title this year has suffered delays and GG only saying they're aiming for a 2021 release for H:FW, it begins to look pretty sparse for their AAA titles. I actually class LL as a full game rather than standalone expansion. If Miles Morales is similar to that or The Order 1886 then I'd say that's a full game out the gate. If it's more like Infamous: First Light or Left Behind then I'd say it's just a DLC tech demo.

On the plus side they have Sackboy and R&C - but unconfirmed for launch. Demon's Souls is a solid firsty party IP with a lot more interest since Souls broke out as well, so a remaster will play off that audience well. Without getting into conspiracy theories, I feel this transition has come at a weird time for Sony. The timing seems not optimal for them. So looking at a surface level, buying up 3rd Party timed exclusives is extremely shitty, but it's a good business strategy for their current position.

Gamerguy84

So AAA? That money could be better spent and I hope the cost isnt factored into the price of the console and services. I sure as hell dont need them spending money on my behalf.

I could be wrong but I think I remember this practice heavily began in the PS360 days. It continued last gen.

Watch MS swing back and start throwing money around because no way have their studios had enough time for AAA blockbusters yet.

It would be crazy if MS did something like bag Madden this year. I dont play it but millions do.

JOEVIAL

Kena and Cyberpunk will be at launch too.... and others. I'm not positive on the full list though!

Yes those release this year but one is a timed exclusive that is also coming to PS4, and the other is multi-platform. Not bashing Sony, but if you compare to other console launches, the "true launch exclusives" look to be slim this time around.

Jubenhimer

This is not a surprise, Sony has been doing this since the beginning, so have Nintendo and Microsoft. They all do it. You don't have to like it, but it's not going away so long as it sells people on their box. As the saying goes, it ain't personal, it's just business.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Im fine as long as they aren't permanent third party exclusives. I hate those. I recommend gamers impacted by this on any platform to keep exploring their backlog and don't pay much attention to the AAA hype machine

Typically the version released later comes with extra content and performance patches. I am still waiting for CTR and Nioh 2 PC...

SleepDoctor

Banned
Shitty practice but they need something. Spiderman: MM, Astrobots, and Kena are not really "must buys" on day one.

With the Ps4 just with Killzone alone I got plenty of time out of the mp even though it wasn't as good as its predecessors.

Im locked in till 2022 in ps plus and there's no 1st party mp to play.

Aion002

Shitty practice but they need something. Spiderman: MM, Astrobots, and Kena are not really "must buys" on day one.

With the Ps4 just with Killzone alone I got plenty of time out of the mp even though it wasn't as good as its predecessors.

Destruction All Stars seems to be MP focused.

Blond

Banned
You can be Xbox. You can be playstation. You can be epic store or steam.

I don’t give a fuck. Paying to keep peopleForm experiencing a game for a set amount of time is bullshit, and it doesn’t matter who does it.

This shit needs to end.

It'll only stop when it stops working.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I seriously doubt Sony even has to pay that much for timed exclusivity at this point.

They are so dominant sales wise, and being exclusive to PlayStation instantly gets your game attention and gives Sony a reason to market you. Like not saying they don't pay for AAA, but Microsoft would have to shell out way more for the same thing. And I actually do think for smaller games it's probably not a money hat, more of a marketing/support type deal.

Really could be the death of Xbox if they are really aggressive with it.... I really feel like third parties aren't thinking holistically making decisions like this.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
As a company I get why they think they should, but I hate this kind of practice. It's anti-consumer.

It´s a valid option imho. Same with Titanfall and others ... but so far, they have timed exclusives for indie games, which makes no sense. No one gonna buy a PS5 because Kena or Little Devil Inside are timed exclusive.

(havent watched the video)

Bryank75

Banned

Factions should be along in the next year I would say... probably ftp.

SaucyJack

So, this story is speculative and based on ”insiders” so a pinch of salt is required.

Given that, I might play the speculation game myself.

One reason I could imagine Sony partnering with 3rd party studios is to encourage adoption of PS5 features, whether that be SSD, or other hardware features we don’t know about yet, or the controller features, haptics, adaptive triggers, create button, etc. Perhaps with first party assistance to get the games done.

Jubenhimer

Hate this shit, no matter who is doing it (i'm sure some of you have seen my Epic rants before lol). Its literally paying money to stop gamers from playing a game, think about that for a second before defending this shit.
Epic's problem is that they go after games that were marketed as Steam releases, and just rip them away for no actual reason. Sony's strategy is simply to get first dibs on select big name titles. Again, you don't have to like it, but there's a reason companies do it.

One reason I could imagine Sony partnering with 3rd party studios is to encourage adoption of PS5 features, whether that be SSD, or other hardware features we don’t know about yet, or the controller features, haptics, adaptive triggers, create button, etc. Perhaps with first party assistance to get the games done.
Honestly, if this is what gets stuff like Gyro aim and HD Rumble standard across the board, then I don't mind.

Last edited:

Aion002

Forgot about that. Although i doubt I'd put much time into it. Is it confirmed for launch tho?
I don't think so. However, I believe that it might be. I didn't like the art style, but I think that the gameplay might be amazing and really popular, if well executed.

Also, if it is F2P (or has a good price) and gets released on PC, it might become the next big thing on MP. I imagine that they are aiming at the Rocket League and Overwatch crowd, which is huge.

Lucid is a good studio that made NFS Payback and Geometry Wars, while NFS suffered from EA greed, I hope that with Sony they are able to release a heavy hitter.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I hate 3rd party exclusives and don't support them. I get why they exist, but all exclusives would be 1st party in a perfect world.

I support 3rd party exclusives in one circumstance:
1. The game would not exist if Sony or MS didn't step in to fund it. This was never the case for Rise of the Tomb Raider. Deathloop, may be in that category. Games like Bayonetta 2, I could be wrong but I am fairly certain they would never have been developed if Nintendo hadn't stepped in.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I don't think so. However, I believe that it might be. I didn't like the art style, but I think that the gameplay might be amazing and really popular, if well executed.

Also, if it is F2P (or has a good price) and gets released on PC, it might become the next big thing on MP. I imagine that they are aiming at the Rocket League and Overwatch crowd, which is huge.

Lucid is a good studio that made NFS Payback and Geometry Wars, while NFS suffered from EA greed, I hope that with Sony they are able to release a heavy hitter.

It looked fun and i agree with the rocket leage and overwatch statement.

But just like Rocket League was fun, I'd get bored after a little while. Couldn't sit through it as long as Killzone for example

Top Bottom