• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

jax

Banned
developers are able to access a web applet to display specific websites within their game/app

So I guess you will be able to login to hotspots, after all.

(This was obvious from the beginning, here's your dinner)

tumblr_nusb0sR2pg1skelofo1_500.gif

Not good enough. Because the exclusivity in this case is not tech restricted as much as it is legal/business wise.

If I knew the answer I wouldn't still be here. I was honestly asking because no one wanted to give a straight answer.

If I paid $600 expecting to play games on it then yes but because I'm not and that's not how it works then no.

This is an argument that can work even against the PS4 and Xbox 1. None of those games have BoTW, Xeno 2, Splatoon, etc. But that's not his point.

He is saying that the specs inside his pixel is more powerful than what is inside the Switch. If that statement is true then everything you said is irrelevant. It doesn't matter that you hate mobile games. The real question is this: Can the pixel run Breath of the Wild better than the Switch or not? Hypothetically speaking. The only relevant argument you can bring is by comparing battery life and see how it goes.

I don't know much, but what I do know is that the quality of the games are completely missing the point of his statement.

I don't think the Pixel or the Pixel C is more powerful than the Switch for playing games. That is a specific distinction that's extremely important from a hardware point of view, because for a device to play games for several hours it cannot throttle its processors. On the other hand, all phones and tablets do throttle, and they do so relatively quickly.

There is no way a Pixel or Pixel C can run at the processing level that the Switch can for as long as the Switch can, and that's all that matters for a gaming device. So in that context, the Switch is the most powerful handheld gaming device ever made.

The hardware specs don't tell us much we don't already know (and predate the Eurogamer leaks, in any case), but it's interesting to hear about some of the OS features.

In particular, I'm a little disappointed to hear that save data isn't automatically synced to the cloud, given Nintendo's mobile games already do this pretty seamlessly. I suppose the "data store" feature would allow it on a game-by-game basis, but it would be nice if the OS handled it automatically for every game rather than having to worry about whether the developer has decided to implement it or not.

I think saying "but save data is not automatically synchronized" implies there is a method for actually synchronizing it. Hopefully that will be a manual cloud upload/download process, rather than a transfer from an SD card.

I will, thank you for your concern.

Your stance is like going in PS4 threads and comparing it to a PC, complaining that you can't run any productivity tools on it.

The Switch is not a mobile phone, and a mobile phone is not a Switch. This is good. I don't understand why you would want this to be otherwise. (As a gamer)

Thraktor

Well, some of the earliest rumors were nvidea approached nintendo with the X1 and offered a really good deal because nvidea had wafers on order for the next years that they didn't use because the X1 wasn't the succes they hoped for.

The original rumour:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1218933

As Thraktor said it back then:

This was speculation, not a rumour. I didn't (nor do I now) have any inside info on the matter.

I think saying "but save data is not automatically synchronized" implies there is a method for actually synchronizing it. Hopefully that will be a manual cloud upload/download process, rather than a transfer from an SD card.

Yeah, I'd agree with you, and the reference to a "data store" implies that there is cloud storage there for saves and the like. I'd just prefer it to be as seamless and automatic as possible. The mobile games do a great job with this. Once you link to your Nintendo Account it does it automatically without you having to worry about it at all.

Discomurf

Wasn't this the consensus already? Don't think we need any new info to tell us this.

I think there was hope that some franchise AAA ports like COD, Assassins Creed etc. would be playable on the system with 'medium setting' results... perhaps at a lower resolution, framerate,etc. Even if they are lesser ports, the ability to play these type of games on the go is a novelty that could potentially sell units.

Oregano

If there is cloud saving I assume it's manual because it would take a long time if you have a sizable amount of games.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, because you need a $800 phone to beat these underwhelming specs.
Based on the DF-specs there are endless cheap China-Phones with a higher peak cpu-power and many with a higher peak in gpu-power compared to the undocked mode.

Neat. Do these cheap Chinese phones have a standard game controller bundled in, presence in mainstream stores worldwide and have a publisher actively making and pursuing games to be made using a dev kit tailored for this specific chipset?

If not, these comparisons mean fuckall.

Discomurf

Obviously.

Why do you think they've been so proud to show off Skyrim.

A 6 year old game that will look and run worse on Switch than it currently does on Xbox and PS4.

I think people just need to have their expectations in check. This thing is not powerful any way you look at it. No modern game will run on it, and if it does, it will be crippled compared to other console versions.

Not sure why the idea that a Nintendo console being so under powered that multiplatform third party is absent is so crazy. It's been happening for over 10 years at this point.

The Snake-Pass UE4 port looked pretty good. Or is that not considered a 'modern game'?

routerbad

Banned
can't open the file at work. is the specs any good? better than expected?

It's the specs from the Dev Unit available in July. The specs were upgraded in October or November but we don't know how, this doesn't reflect that change, someone re-released leaked specs because most people will believe it's current.

To answer your question, the specs were always good for a handheld even if they were based on a bone stock X1. It's custom, it's not a base X1 according to Nvidia, and these specs look like a bone stock X1. Given that a newer version of the Tegra was released in November, I'm going to speculate that it takes something from that, whether it's the CPU configuration or the GPU, or both.

ASIS

I think it was a mistake referencing the specs directly in the title. Look how much the discussion has devolved. We're not even talking about the documents anymore
This is partly my fault, I just wanted a simple answer. Like these two:

They shouldn't be, it's a false equivalency. Not only that, but as has been pointed out, the Tegra X1 is no slouch when compared to the A Series SoCs.

Take a look at the battery specs too, because the Switch has a bigger battery, but runs for a fraction of the time, and generates more heat. iPhone 7 comes with a 1960mAh battery, compared to Switch's 4310mAh. iPhone also comes with a base storage amount of 32GB (which is only the 7, prior models started with 16GB and those were the most popular models at $700). RAM is also an issue there. There are technical reasons for why you don't see gaming experiences that would even rival the Vita or 3DS on smartphones.

The switch is built from the ground up to play video games. The chipset, the development environment, everything has been built for that purpose.

Smartphones are all arounders. They are good at a lot of things, but they lack features that make them good for gaming applications.

I don't think the Pixel or the Pixel C is more powerful than the Switch for playing games. That is a specific distinction that's extremely important from a hardware point of view, because for a device to play games for several hours it cannot throttle its processors. On the other hand, all phones and tablets do throttle, and they do so relatively quickly.

There is no way a Pixel or Pixel C can run at the processing level that the Switch can for as long as the Switch can, and that's all that matters for a gaming device. So in that context, the Switch is the most powerful handheld gaming device ever made.
Straight to the point, easily pointing out why the Pixel cannot run Switch games even with the price range set up. That's the answer I was expecting, and again I do apologize for derailing the thread.

Your stance is like going in PS4 threads and comparing it to a PC, complaining that you can't run any productivity tools on it.

The Switch is not a mobile phone, and a mobile phone is not a Switch. This is good. I don't understand why you would want this to be otherwise. (As a gamer)

Because I'm a gamer I want the Switch to be the best quality possible. specs included. The quotes above greatly ease my concerns but I don't think discussion on this makes me a troll.

If there is cloud saving I assume it's manual because it would take a long time if you have a sizable amount of games.

Why is that? If you're in Wifi range, it pings the storage and checks if there are new saves, then uploads or downloads. Save files aren't usually huge and don't take more than a few seconds to upload or download.

The only problem I see would be catching your Switch mid download / upload and taking it outside of wifi range.

E-phonk

Banned
This was speculation, not a rumour. I didn't (nor do I now) have any inside info on the matter.
I expressed myself wrong - the original rumour is ofcourse in the OP, the wafer part is an example by you on why it would make sense to make such a decision.

antonz

So if these GPU specs are legit then is the consensus that the Switch is still underpowered to properly support AAA XBO and/or PS4 ports?

Highly custom engines could pose a problem for Switch potentially. Games based on Unreal etc. should be infinitely easier to adapt for Switch though. Its one area where Ninteno getting proper support for the Major engines this time around could be a big deal for them. Japan is embracing Unreal etc heavily. Its of course very popular in the west.

routerbad

Banned
I think there was hope that some franchise AAA ports like COD, Assassins Creed etc. would be playable on the system with 'medium setting' results... perhaps at a lower resolution, framerate,etc. Even if they are lesser ports, the ability to play these type of games on the go is a novelty that could potentially sell units.

Apparently it's ridiculously easy to port titles, and runs the full blown version of UE4, at medium settings, which is promising.

Banned
Matt going HAM.

His point is solid though.

Everyone speculating that if Sony or Microsoft made a console that was the same form factor as the switch it would be way more powerful is wrong. The Maxwell Tegra is likely the beefiest mobile GPU right now next to the Pascal Tegra in the self driving cars.

At best I can see Sony or Microsoft going a bit bigger to add more RAM and get away with charging $50-100 more.

Basically, for its form factor, the switch is having industry leading chips.

Oregano

Why is that? If you're in Wifi range, it pings the storage and checks if there are new saves, then uploads or downloads. Save files aren't usually huge and don't take more than a few seconds to upload or download.

The only problem I see would be catching your Switch mid download / upload and taking it outside of wifi range.

I might be overestimating it but if you had 100 games that would still be a lot of data. Mobile games only sync the game when you're playing and you need a connection to play.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck. I've always been more of a PC gamer, but I haven't wanted a console so much since the cube I think.

And even though I'm a grown up and I work two fucking jobs I'm really gonna be too broke to get it on day one. FML.

RRockman

Banned
So we were right on the switch having a solution to get online with hotels right? Glad that's out of the way. I wonder of the leader was fed up with the misinformation that was going around?

Guess Who

Banned
Matt going HAM.

His point is solid though.

Everyone speculating that if Sony or Microsoft made a console that was the same form factor as the switch it would be way more powerful is wrong. The Maxwell Tegra is likely the beefiest mobile GPU right now next to the Pascal Tegra in the self driving cars.

At best I can see Sony or Microsoft going a bit bigger to add more RAM and get away with charging $50-100 more.

Basically, for its form factor, the switch is having industry leading chips.

Yup. The Switch is the most cutting-edge system Nintendo has made in a decade. It's arguably more cutting-edge at the moment as far as mobile tech goes than the PS4 and Xbox One were at launch, save "dat 8GB GDDR5".

Hermii

The Snake-Pass UE4 port looked pretty good. Or is that not considered a 'modern game'?
Switches major strength and what will allow it to punch well above its weight compared to similarly specced devices is top notch tools / apis etc that nvidia made. Which is probably the main reason Nintendo partnered with Nvidia to begin with.

sugarless

Great to hear about predictive text. Do we know if Japanese input will be supported while using the system in English? Nintendo has always locked Japanese to their Japanese systems.

A novelty for a tiny number, I suspect. There doesn't seem to be much of a market for full-blown console experiences on the go outside of a dedicated minority.

routerbad

Banned
A novelty for a tiny number, I suspect. There doesn't seem to be much of a market for full-blown console experiences on the go outside of a dedicated minority.

I think you have a little on both ends. There are people that want to be able to play games that are typically mobile only in a home console setting, as well as people that want to be able to play deeper, longer, console style games on the go.

I want both, for different titles.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The performance benchmarks are somewhat different to what the specs show and tilt more towards the A9 vistory in most of them. Much like Nvidia (gaming) flops often outperform AMD (gaming) flops. Also, you're comparing the A8 there :p
My bad, I didn't notice you were discussing the 6s. Here's the 6s comparison: https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?be...ame1=NVIDIA(R)+Tegra(R)+X1&D2=Apple+iPhone+6S

Disregard the 'driver overhead' figures are they're pointless in our case. TX1 Maxwell2 still clearly outperforms the GT7600.

Yeah, because you need a $800 phone to beat these underwhelming specs.
Based on the DF-specs there are endless cheap China-Phones with a higher peak cpu-power and many with a higher peak in gpu-power compared to the undocked mode.

Thats a false statement, the best phone in specs/price in the current day is the pixel-c then is the Zen-fone 3 deluxe which both are above 450 dollars, the most popular device in asians market is the regular Zen-fone 3 which is in 270 dollars, has 8 cores at 2ghz but not better GPU and RAM than the Switch.

Also the best gaming mobile in terms of performance, optimizations and the avoid of throttling is still the Nvidia Shield, the Switch is going to be the best option for a mobile gaming device.

OCD Guy

As evidenced by..?

Probably based on things like the Vita and PSP where they were touted as portable device that provided console experiences.

And because they didn't do well, that must mean no one wants to play those types of games on portable devices.

The other point could be that because things like candy crush are so popular people obviously don't want to play console games on the go.

It's all opinion really with no real concrete evidence. For me personally the appeal of the switch is that I can play games like Zelda on the go, and I would love nothing more than being able to play games like Horizon 3 on a portable device.

Probably based on things like the Vita and PSP where they were touted as portable device that provided console experiences.

And because they didn't do well, that must mean no one wants to play those types of games on portable devices.

The other point could be that because things like candy crush are so popular people obviously don't want to play console games on the go.

It's all opinion really with no real concrete evidence. For me personally the appeal of the switch is that I can play games like Zelda on the go.

PSP did very well, obviously not DS good but similar to 3DS sales.

Also the problem of the Vita is similar to the Wii U, first both hardware (Vita and PS4) are completely different and made ports from PS4 or PS3 to Vita is very hard, so it was difficult for Sony giving support for both consoles and finally they decided to go full with the PS4, same apply to Wii U and 3DS they couldn't effort the same support for both consoles and also was very time consuming creating games like Smash Bros being available for both consoles.

As evidenced by..?

When is the last time you saw someone playing any game considered a home console experience out in the wild?

Maybe someone on a DS here and there.

Next question.

When is the last time you saw someone playing a mobile game or something more traditionally considered an on the go experience?

I live and work in NYC and I see hundreds if not thousands of people every single day. Can't even begin to guess at how many I see every day playing candy crush or some other phone game.

Every now and then I see some guy playing a DS, and maybe 5-6 times over the years, I saw the elusive public PSP player. Now those are rare.

Top Bottom