• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Team Ico Collection - It's coming on Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SolidSnakex said:
It's going to happen. This is the only "Collection" from Sony that makes sense right now. And after seeing how successful the GoW Collection turned out to be, there's no reason for them not to do it.

They're Sony. They've left plenty of free money on the table this gen and pissed away other money.

I think it will happen, though, as long as the code isn't messy--and that's where I think you may see an issue.

SotC HD looks pretty amazing. I need to install windows to try that emulator.

I still think, even with RDR out, that SotC has by far the most real looking, sounding, and animating horse.

Dachande

_dementia said:
If they do add them I hope they're optional.
I'm sure they were axed for a reason. I'd rather not have to suffer through any sup-bar boss fights or have the game drag on for too long.

Yeah, this, totally. While I'd very interested to see them in some capacity, I don't want to be forced to play several colossi that are at best badly-tuned, or at worst, totally broken. In some of those cases, just seeing some kind of render test to view the model and how they may have worked with the cut areas would be a wonderful bonus.

Althoran

I really hope this is true. I tried to track down ICO and SotC last year but couldn't find them for a normal price.
I will definitely buy this collection.

I have ICO and SotC but I'd buy a collection of the two regardless.

Danielsan said:
What is wrong with her a.i?
She's blind man, she can't go and do shit on her own unless you want her to drop off a cliff or something.
Danielsan said:
I have the nice PAL cardboard boxed editions.
The PAL version reportedly had improved AI for Yorda, amongst other things. I certainly didn't have any problems with her (PAL version as well).

Jeels

I really wanted The Last Guardian to be this year. It would have made it the best year in gaming for me. =(

jergrah

Great news (if true) -- Id pick it up day 1. Two of my favorite games of all time, getting a proper HD treatment would be awesome.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
twinturbo2 said:
When those black holes open and those things are trying to capture her, her first reaction should be to RUN FOR HER FUCKING LIFE. Her second reaction should be to PUT UP A FUCKING FIGHT.

GOD DAMN.

So frustrating. Makes me want to put Burnout Paradise into my PS3 so I can ram fools into the fucking wall.

Something tells me that you don't quite understand the point of Ico.

Dascu

jett said:
Seems that was fixed, but now there's an "offset" problem or something.
Tried it out. Issue is indeed fixed. Not sure what this "offset" problem could be, other than this tiny little graphical issue with some lines not rendering properly (it's utterly unnoticable unless you look for it).

Still, it doesn't look quite as good as it could. It feels a bit choppy at times, even though the emu's saying the FPS is at 60. So a HD PS3 port would definitely be pleasant. Besides, I'm running a 3ghz phenom quad core and need to turn on all speedhacks to get 60FPS. Definitely the second most demanding PS2 game I've emulated.
(First is ZoE2)

GeoramA

It's probably true. Sony's starting to like money again :D

Really hope there are more HD collections in the works, like for this year.

soldat7

epmode said:
I don't understand this. Play more PC games.

60fps is a more 'arcadey' look that works quite well for a variety of games. However, for many games, 60fps just isn't appropriate. I want games like SotC to have the fps of a movie and not a soap opera.

Dascu

soldat7 said:
60fps is a more 'arcadey' look that works quite well for a variety of games. However, for many games, 60fps just isn't appropriate. I want games like SotC to have the fps of a movie and not a soap opera.
Quoted for hilarity.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
soldat7 said:
Did you read this TTP? You're arcadey and soap opery!!
TTP loves his FPS at 60.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
soldat7 said:

:lol

You... you want 24 fps locked for SotC? Have fun with that.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Who the fuck cares about resolution and/or framerate? You get the chance to play these games again, everything else is just a bonus. :)

soldat7

Danthrax said:
:lol

You... you want 24 fps locked for SotC? Have fun with that.

30, not 60. I don't want SotC looking like Call of Duty. It's the same reason I don't have my TV set to 120Hz. It looks overly smooth for most programming.

60fps is not better than 30fps in every case.

Dascu

soldat7 said:
30, not 60. I don't want SotC looking like Call of Duty. It's the same reason I don't have my TV set to 120Hz. It looks overly smooth for most programming.

Yeah man, game looks awful at 60fps in PCSX2. Stop looking so smooth, you stupid game!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Revolutionary said:
Isn't that pretty much how the PS2 version ran?

I think so, thus somewhat defeating the purpose of an HD remake :lol

soldat7 said:

Movies are filmed at 24 fps, though. Just sayin'

I have entertained picking both of these up at one time or another but never have, so if this is indeed coming I am kind of glad I waited. I wanted Ico, but then I finally got to play it for about an hour and didn't really care for it. Still, I figured I'd pick it up one day and give it another shot and play the entire thing. I'm much more interested in SotC, but never bought it because I can't stand sub 30fps frame rates. Really hoping for 60fps on these.

soldat7 said:

Mental.

soldat7

Danthrax said:
Movies are filmed at 24 fps, though. Just sayin'

A movie looks distinctly different (and better) at 24fps/60Hz than a soap opera at 30fps/60Hz. For example, you wouldn't want to watch Lost at 30 or 60fps at 60 or 120Hz. It would look 'overly smooth'.

Foliorum Viridum said:

It's really not. We've had this discussion many times here on GAF. Doubling the frame rate does not necessarily improve the experience.

soldat7 said:

Your dislike for "120Hz TV" (emphasis on the quotes) is not similar to your dislike of 60fps at all. An increased framerate means more frames and hence more information, "120Hz TV" is just doubling frames and causes a really jarring effect and looks campy as shit. I play all my games that are decently optimized at 120FPS and there's nothing "too smooth" about it, it just allows me to destroy fools faster and easier.

soldat7 said:
You got balls kid

I guess when you're forced to play in 30fps 99% of the time you've gotta find some way to accept it as a poor standard. :lol

60fps > 30fps, always. No exceptions.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Day 1... will do cartwheels in and out of store. :lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Will buy day 1 (or, order from the US, since I'm sure SCEE will ignore it just like they did with GoW Collection)!

Not really too concerned with the 60/30fps debate. GoW needed that boost to 60fps, but I'm not sure ICO/SotC do. I sure wouldn't complain if they got them running at 60fps, but a locked framerate at 30fps would be fine.

soldat7

TouchMyBox said:
Your dislike for "120Hz TV" (emphasis on the quotes) is not similar to your dislike of 60fps at all. An increased framerate means more frames and hence more information, "120Hz TV" is just doubling frames and causes a really jarring effect and looks campy as shit. I play all my games that are decently optimized at 120FPS and there's nothing "too smooth" about it, it just allows me to destroy fools faster and easier.

They lead to the same effect: a supposedly smoother and more life-like series of images. Again, 60fps is great for many types of games, but it would make SotC feel more artificial, just like Lost at a higher framerate.

Empty

Hopefully it comes with a demo or some nice bonus content as i already own both games in nice PAL cardboard case edition and don't want to feel like a sucker for justifying the removal of backwards compatibility by buying it again just for convenience.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
soldat7 said:
They lead to the same effect: a supposedly smoother and more life-like series of images. Again, 60fps is great for many types of games, but it would make SotC feel more artificial, just like Lost at a higher framerate.

Could you point me to a game running at 60fps that would have looked less artificial if it was running at 30fps instead? I understand you say it depends on the game, and there are no games similar to SotC that I can think about now that run at 60fps. But regardless, I have yet to see a 60fps game that looks as soap opery as those 120Hz movies (which I agree look ass). Every time I see 60fps, I'm good with it. Very good indeed. Not sure why I wouldn't with SotC.

depths20XX said:
What a stupid reason to avoid a good game.
It's really not. I played SOTC expecting this epic and beautiful experience, but couldn't because it ran so badly. With a good framerate I'm sure I'd play it to completion and love it, but I'm never going to consider playing it in its original state again.

I'd be much happier seeing stuff like the birds in the sky and the doves in the main temple animating at 60fps. The game's got plenty of animal life and I think it'd look great at higher framerates.

FLEABttn

Banned
soldat7 said:

Your eyes see the world at higher than 60fps. Is real life artificial?

The framerate of the original SOTC works because when the when the framerate dips it makes the game feel more epic. Like there's so much power in the game that the system is struggling to display it. It's almost like it was programmed into the game

Colossus swoop in = framerate dip
Colossus smash = framerate dip
any type of attack or large motion from a colossus that results in a big impact = framerate dip

Low framerates on old games wont make them look like movies. If anything, it just makes them look choppy. You are assuming that having a low frame rate on a game will make it look exactly like a movie counterpart, but thats not how it works. There won't be any motion blur in an old game. As a result, things can look like they're teleporting places.

Lowering the framerate without taking advantage of the power that it's freeing up doesn't do anything but make it look bad. I'd rather have 120fps SotC than 30 fps.

depths20XX

Foliorum Viridum said:
It's really not. I played SOTC expecting this epic and beautiful experience, but couldn't because it ran so badly. With a good framerate I'm sure I'd play it to completion and love it, but I'm never going to consider playing it in its original state again.

That mentality just really amazes me I guess. I can't see something so trivial as that ruining the whole experience for me. I would have missed out on a lot of great games over the years if I felt the same as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom