• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Team Ico Collection - It's coming on Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
booyakasha said:
The framerate of the original SOTC works because when the when the framerate dips it makes the game feel more epic. Like there's so much power in the game that the system is struggling to display it. It's almost like it was programmed into the game

Colossus swoop in = framerate dip
Colossus smash = framerate dip
any type of attack or large motion from a colossus that results in a big impact = framerate dip
Joke post?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
Could you point me to a game running at 60fps that would have looked less artificial if it was running at 30fps instead? I understand you say it depends on the game, and there are no games similar to SotC that I can think about now that run at 60fps. But regardless, I have yet to see a 60fps game that looks as soap opery as those 120Hz movies (which I agree look ass). Every time I see 60fps, I'm good with it. Very good indeed. Not sure why I wouldn't with SotC.
I chose to play Ico and SotC on an emulator at 50FPS instead of 60FPS for that exact reason he talks about. I want to make them look more cinematic, and having some judder actually makes these two games more appealing to my eyes. I wouldn't do this for just about any other game though, but the dreamlike cinematic atmosphere of these two makes them work better this way.

Keep in mind however that I still play them at a framerate higher than the original, but I tried them at 30FPS and even like that I prefer them over 60FPS (but I prefer 50FPS above both as it has smoothness and judder at the same time). There's so much motion blur in these two games that they just look somehow wrong at 60FPS, like they were simply not meant to be played at that framerate.

Johnanderson said:
I hope so, cause that was pure bullshit
Developers do that kind of thing intentionally sometimes to elicit that sensation he's talking about. A lot of shmups do that when you destroy the end level bosses, it's almost a trope of the genre. It was not done intentionally in SotC to be sure.

They can release TLG in 2013 for all I care if this is true-- I'm not sure why people are so upset at the idea that it might not come out this year. These are two games on a very short list of projects that I am not remotely impatient about. They will be worth it.

That said, the source of this "rumor"/lie-for-hits is not remotely convincing. It sounds more like they saw that "Do you want a team-ICO HD compilation" survey on Sony's site and figured it would be a brilliant way to get hits.

MomoPufflet said:
That said, the source of this "rumor"/lie-for-hits is not remotely convincing. It sounds more like they saw that "Do you want a team-ICO HD compilation" survey on Sony's site and figured it would be a brilliant way to get hits.

Not to defend them too much but that survey alone pretty much makes this a done deal. Now, that the reporting is somewhat vague, sure.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Not to defend them too much but that survey alone pretty much makes this a done deal. Now, that the reporting is somewhat vague, sure.

How so? Isn't it just a user-generated petition that you can vote on and hope Sony sees it?

I gotta feeling...
woo hoo
That tonight's gonna be a good night

I'm so excited. :D Finally I get to play these awesome looking games, and they will be on Blu-Ray. Kind of was looking forward to The Last Guardian being this year, though. Oh well, the more polish it gets the better I suppose. This fall is probably going to be jam packed with games anyways. Maybe The Last Guardian will come out Spring/Summer 2011.

depths20XX said:
That mentality just really amazes me I guess. I can't see something so trivial as that ruining the whole experience for me. I would have missed out on a lot of great games over the years if I felt the same as you.
It's jarring and takes me out of the experience. SOTC is all about atmosphere and being sucked in to that world. Whenever the game begins to die, which is pretty much all the time, I'm taken out of the experience and thus get no enjoyment from it.

Joei

I hope this is true cause I would absolutely love to play Ico again. It's really hard to play it on my ps2 with an HD tv. And I had pretty much the same issues with SotC that a lot of people are mentioning here, but if they fixed it up a bit I'd obviously give it another try.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Foliorum Viridum said:
It's jarring and takes me out of the experience. SOTC is all about atmosphere and being sucked in to that world. Whenever the game begins to die, which is pretty much all the time, I'm taken out of the experience and thus get no enjoyment from it.

Sounds like a personal problem. I had to have the internet tell me that SotC actually had ANY slowdown in it, I discovered this apparently game-breaking phenomenon after already having beaten it.

Different people focus on different things.

Tathanen said:
Sounds like a personal problem. I had to have the internet tell me that SotC actually had ANY slowdown in it, I discovered this apparently game-breaking phenomenon after already having beaten it.

Well of course it's a personal problem. :) There's hundreds of people on GAF alone who adore the game more than any other.

It's common complaint, though, so it's not like I'm some extreme mentalist. I played the game with the intention of loving it. :)

Danielsan

Tathanen said:

Same here.
I had absolutely zero issues with SotC and regard it as the greatest game ever conceived.
I definitely wouldn't mind a higher resolution version with a better framerate, but it never bothered me.

Joei

Tathanen said:

That's the equivalent of someone looking at your avatar and thinking it's one fluid motion.

It's not a "game-breaking" phenomenon, it's just an issue that some people find difficult to play through. And not because they're stuck-up elitists, which I'm sure is right on the tip of your tongue, but because there are just some technicial issues that people have problems with and prevent them from getting immersed in the game. And the fact that you didn't notice the slowdown sounds like a personal problem for you. You might want to get that checked out.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Joei said:
That's the equivalent of someone looking at your avatar and thinking it's one fluid motion.

It's not a "game-breaking" phenomenon, it's just an issue that some people find difficult to play through. And not because they're stuck-up elitists, which I'm sure is right on the tip of your tongue, but because there are just some technicial issues that people have problems with and prevent them from getting immersed in the game. And the fact that you didn't notice the slowdown sounds like a personal problem for you. You might want to get that checked out.

Please do not put words in my mouth, this has nothing to do with "elitism." The person before who said he though the slowdown "worked" because it was paired with significant actions in the game is similar to my line of thought. I never identified it as a technical failing, which is why I didn't really recall it. If things slowed down, I was much more focused on the action I had performed or been involved with that caused the slowdown than the slowdown itself. Maybe I thought it was on purpose, I don't know.

I've played games that slow down for decades. If I'm doing something and there's a lot of things on the screen and everything slows down I don't think "this is a piece of shit," I think "oooooh shiiiittttt" and am given the sense of "man a lot is going on how awesome," not "what a bunch of fucking goons with this slowdown garbage." It's a matter of attitude, I suppose. Slowdown in a single player game isn't the same thing as lag-based slowdown in an online game.

It doesn't prevent me from getting immersed in a game what-so-fucking-ever. If "being slow" immediately brings your mind around to "what technological failings could be causing this," then hey, good for you. Your priorities are clearly in the right place.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I hope this rumor turns out to be true. It's unfortunate that I probably won't ever play them unless they're re-released, but it could be worse. This also gives them time to put some extra polish on TLG.

I highly doubt that date is real. Would make more sense to release the Collection in 2010, and then The Last Guardian in Q1 2011. Just like with GoW.

Lourio

WilyRook said:
Yeah, I just wanted to say that I'm excited for this.

OMG this! I have never played SOTC nor Ico and have been DYING to play them for the longest time. I am going in completely fresh; CANNOT wait! Day 1 for sure!

-viper-

Banned
I personally don't care about Ico too much. It doesn't really look that exciting. SoTC on the other hand is an EPIC experience. That game alone would suffice. I'll gladly play money for that game.

-viper- said:
I personally don't care about Ico too much. It doesn't really look that exciting. SoTC on the other hand is an EPIC experience. That game alone would suffice. I'll gladly play money for that game.
If you're like me and have never had a girlfriend, Ico is pretty awesome. It feels great having someone depend on you, even if she isn't real.

StuBurns

Banned
I wouldn't go as far as to say there is never a thematic or dramatic reason to have a specific framerate, but in the case of SotC, no, that twenty something bullshit is not in anyway greater than a solid performance. 60Hz is always superior.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Both SOTC and ICO are stone-cold classics. This better not be a bs rumour, seriously.

I didn't have a problem playing through SOTC because of framerate, but it did fluctuate like crazy and I could see that bothering someone.

Even if an HD SOTC is only locked at 30fps, the experience will be better for it.

Alastor

What kind of games are SOTC and Ico? Zelda with a twist of RPG?

I guess technically they're TPP platformers/action games, but that definition does not fit them very well... They're pretty unique. They have little to no RPG elements, their mechanics are simple, they tell their stories in a very subtle manner, there's alwais a certain feeling of mystery... You play them for the atmosphere. and not because you want to, for example, kill some monsters for fun with a shiny new weapon.

My english is limited and I don't really know how to explain this, but I'm sure someone else will do a much better job.

-viper- said:

Money, don't play! I knows you would pay, but why you gotta diss ICO?

Razor210

If true, I'm getting this tomorrow.

I'll leave that to you guys to figure out how I'm going to do that.

And on the issue of slowdown - please keep at least some slowdown in. It makes the whole "dude just smashed the ground right next to me" feeling epic.

A.R.K

6h2p6qr.gif

Where do I send my check Sony?????

I have SOTC on my old ps2. I have never finished it, but it remains one of the most impressive games I have ever seen. The art is INCREDIBLE. I would buy this at full price.

These are two of my favorite games of all time, but i would really rather just have Team ICO work on new ideas. People didn't appreciate these games the first time around, what makes you think they will now?

Danielsan

HurricaneJesus said:
These are two of my favorite games of all time, but i would really rather just have Team ICO work on new ideas. People didn't appreciate these games the first time around, what makes you think they will now?
They won't be doing the port.
Santamonica studios didn't do the GOW collection either.

HurricaneJesus said:

It's very doubtful that Team ICO is going to work on these games outside of Ueda overseeing their development. SSM didn't make the GoW Collection. It was developed by Bluepoint Games and they did a fantastic job with it. So they seem like a good choice to do this collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom