• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Uncharted 2 has... MULTIPLAYER? Holy. Shit.

Tom Penny

Kagari said:
THIS. Uncharted 2 doesn't need multiplayer to be a good game.

It can still be a good game. It will just get traded in like games with no multiplayer or weak multiplayer if it's not up to par.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Wollan said:
Singleplayer is singleplayer

Co-op missions are separate.

Competitive multiplayer mode.

That was the video content.

good like , COD WAW , it's all right as long is it won't hurt the story/SP mode ..

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Why does everyone think co-op has to be built into the story? Just make it like Halo and let a second player play, keep the cutscenes the same, whatever. It's not like the puzzles and platforming were so involved in the first that they couldn't build two routes or some other way to let two people traverse a ledge. Hell, you had an AI partner half the time in the first one anyway. Co-op (optional) makes almost anything better!

I'd have no problem with competitive multiplayer either, the shooting and ducking and running is fun as it is and with cool levels it would just add another layer of awesome to the whole package.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Dachande said:
Don't care. I want those people working on the multiplayer portion to work on single player instead to make it as good as it can possibly be. That's the problem here.

Exactly what I said few posts up, I want every resource possible polishing that SP campaign so that its so orgasmic my pants explode while playing it, simple as that really.

Guled

lowrider007 said:
Exactly what I said few posts up, I want every resource possible polishing that SP campaign so that its so orgasmic my pants explode while playing it, simple as that really.
what if they hired people specifically for the multiplayer?

Spiegel

Naughty Dog

200X-2007: Uncharted
2007-2009: Uncharted 2

Insomniac

2005: Resistance
2006: Ratchet & Clank
2007: Resistance 2

I'd not worry about Uncharted 2 becoming a "Resistance 2"

I find the idea of the actual multiplayer to be much more interesting than the co-op. I always thought that Uncharted could make for some interesting multiplayer matches given that it's based around platforming and climbing stuff. So it'd be very different from most stuff out there if they do it right.

WinFonda

To be honest the only part I don't like is that, inevitably, Uncharted 2's trophies will be split between the different gaming modes. I really liked the trophy hunting in Uncharted and it would be great if they kept the trophies confined solely to single-player, but that's probably not going to happen.

PowderedToast

But even if the campaign had weaknesses you wouldnt notice because of the awesomeness co-op brings. It makes everything BETTER

edit: oh wait it's seperate? oooooooooohhhh

Wollan

Gbeav said:
They are going to fuck up this game because of assholes that demand co-op.
People like you will be handed a diamond of a game and not recognize it's greatness because you're so convinced about a misguided principle.

Yes, yes, co-op. The only kind of multiplayer I see working for Uncharted.

RE5 co-op is one of the best gaming experiences I had this gen, so yes please!

DMeisterJ

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
My only concern is that things turn out like Resistance 2, where one mode gets short changed at the expense of another.

Egg-fucking-xactly.

Resistance 2 suffered so much from adding the co-op in there, because it needed to be completed, and because it was a selling point, the single-player got butt-fucked into oblivion.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was an absolutely beautifully done game, which over 2 million people bought without having a multi-player component. Why would you add multi-player now?

slider

There seems to be a a significant portion of us who are dead against MP in U2. I have no doubt that if it were included it wouldn't be at the cost of anything else (crazy as that logic is). I also think that if it were included I'd want it to be a little different. I'm no game designer so I have no idea what I mean but... I'd want it to be... different.

With that said...

In other news I doubt U2 will have MP; instead it'll be a superb SP experience. Take my money ND.

VNZ

I'm excited. There's too few multiplayer 3rd person action games, and basically, it's a genre that needs to be explored.

Loudninja

SolidSnakex said:
I find the idea of the actual multiplayer to be much more interesting than the co-op. I always thought that Uncharted could make for some interesting multiplayer matches given that it's based around platforming and climbing stuff. So it'd be very different from most stuff out there if they do it right.

Yeah I am open to the idea,I like to see what they do.

MoogPaul

okay okay...
check my blood pressure...
try to calm down, it's a separate mode apart from single play...
just turn around and leave and try not to get sucked into a RE5 tirade...

Matt_C

DMeisterJ said:
Sorry for the caps:

WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERYONE WANT MP?

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was fine without it, why do people want ND to change what is not broken...

Please stop wishing for Multi-player.

Well games are fun with more than one person but it stinks that Co-op wouldn't be story mode. I just am tired of playing story games by myself since another player can help me out beat the game quicker. Co-op = faster gameplay = more time to play other games.

Besides, if there is a split screen mode; the gf/so/roomate can join in the fun.

SolidSnakex said:
I'm not even sure why he said that. The guy in the video says that there will be regular multiplayer and co-op that's separate from the main story. So it's nothing like RE5.

Sorry, now you have me concerned. Making it separate makes doesn't make it better.

Just make a single player experience and double it up for co-op like Halo or Resistance 1 did. Now I'm hearing they are devoting more resources to try to make an detached co-op mode. Just like Resistance 2?

All resources gets devoted to single player and co-op is no fuss no muss if it's the former instead of the later.

Forsete

MEH! :(

*50 nate drakes running around capturing flags running around eachother shooting with AKs*

/me dies on the inside

Gbeav

Banned
Wollan said:
People like you will be handed a diamond of a game and not recognize it's greatness because you're so convinced about a misguided principle.

I had your optimism before I started to play Resistance 2's single player. Spread resources too thin to make 5% of your public happy and make 90% of your public sad.

Dachande

Guled said:
what if they hired people specifically for the multiplayer?

But they won't have hired enough for a whole new multiplayer team - some people are going to be shared across both and are going to have their focus spread across two totally seperate areas of the game. Some who worked on the first are going to now be working on the multiplayer parts only.

The single player portion won't be terrible because of this or anything. But the multiplayer portion will take some focus off of the single player and hold it back more than otherwise. Some stuff will be cut, some things scaled down, etc etc. That sucks - it's Uncharted's whole draw.

careful

Not a smart move.. Who's gonna be the audience for this? There's already a pretty big crowd for PS3 online shooters: Warhawk, COD4, COD:WaW, R2, Socom, KZ2
Upcoming: MAG, COD42

So Uncharted 2 MP... Yeah....

raYne

lowrider007 said:
It doesn't matter if it's separate or not, I don't want it in the game, seeing it there will just tell me that they wasted resources that could've been better spent on the core SP campaign.

DO NOT WANT.
Yeah, this isn't jumping the gun at all..

So if the SP is fuck-awesome, you're going to complain that it still could've been better had they not wasted resources? I scoff in your general direction.

Pojo

Banned
NO PLEASE HAVE SP CO-OP I'M SICK OF THIS RESISTANCE BULLSHIT.

Sorry Resistance. You got it right in number 1 with the co-op.

And yes, I am only jumping to conclusions because I love it so dearly. Bring on Uncharted 2!

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Just make a single player experience and double it up for co-op like Halo or Resistance 1 did. Now I'm hearing they are devoting more resources to try to make an detached co-op mode. Just like Resistance 2?

Neither of those games are story driven like Uncharted. You can't just drop in "faceless character number 2" and have it work.

thuway

Holy shit are we serious GAF?

This is fucking naughty dog.

Hey DmeisterJ, read that, five times over.

ITS A SEPERATE MODE, do not play it.

Guled

DMeisterJ said:
Egg-fucking-xactly.

Resistance 2 suffered so much from adding the co-op in there, because it needed to be completed, and because it was a selling point, the single-player got butt-fucked into oblivion.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was an absolutely beautifully done game, which over 2 million people bought without having a multi-player component. Why would you add multi-player now?
ND is not putting out a game a year, its not like they have to rush the game. Since they know MP is not what uncharted is about I'm sure they wouldn't gimp the SP, the real draw of the game.

Haunted

Loudninja said:
Some of you are pretty close minded.
Very true! That notion that every game needs MP nowadays is fucking sickening, I agree. People should accept that there are games better suited for SP, and others for MP.

SolidSnakex said:
Neither of those games are story driven like Uncharted. You can't just drop in "faceless character number 2" and have it work.

A good chunk of the time Uncharted you had another character with you. Just stream line it and make another character be with you all the time when you are co-op. It shouldn't take master literature writing to redefine and accomplish something for the sake of gameplay and story.

Narcosis

slider said:
There seems to be a a significant portion of us who are dead against MP in U2. I have no doubt that if it were included it wouldn't be at the cost of anything else (crazy as that logic is). I also think that if it were included I'd want it to be a little different. I'm no game designer so I have no idea what I mean but... I'd want it to be... different.

With that said...

In other news I doubt U2 will have MP; instead it'll be a superb SP experience. Take my money ND.

I don't necessarily think I'm dead against MP in any good game. What worries me about games like Uncharted 2 and Bioshock 2 is the fact that the first games were so good as a singleplayer experience that there's the inevitable fear of a compromised or uninspired followup. Despite the pedigree of the crew making the game the question arises as to whether they added this stuff because all games seem to get docked in the reviews for not having co-op or some type of fragfest online play these days.
Now yes, I know naughty Dog is a great studio (same with the 2K team making bioshock 2) but I do feel my eyebrows raise a bit because of some other quality developers like Bungie and Insomniac seeming to overextend a product to add in more bulletpoint features and compromising other parts in the process.
I have faith that the end result will be good, but there's always the possibility of something not coming up as intended when you start adding more and more new features, especially if those features aren't really what the fanbase of the franchise view as the most important aspects.

Dante

There was just as many people bitching that the first one didn't have ANY multi-player options.....You really can't win with forum goers.

thuway

Haunted said:
Very true! That notion that every game needs MP nowadays is fucking sickening.

The notion that games that have multiplayer like RE5 sell close a million in the US alone in their first month would be something to think about.

Top Bottom