• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor (with a side of salt): Shovel Knight coming to Smash Wii U/3DS?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Update 3: Bumped to the top. 4u2play’s listing is interesting, as it mentions co-op on Wii U and the ability to customize Shovel Knight.

Here’s the full translation (thanks Jake):

Coop Multiplayer (Wii U exclusive)
◾Enter a friends’ game and shovel together!
◾Special Coop-Moves support you on your journey together.

Full flexibility:
◾Enter the level where you destroy your enemies and find precious treasures
◾Earn never seen relicts, skills and powers.
◾Alter the appearance of your Shovel Knight with cool cosmetic details.

User your personal amiibo seamless on Wii U and 3DS.
◾The Shovel Knight amiibo will work with all Nintendo Products that Yacht Club Games will create in the near future.
◾Compatible with Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, Nintendo 2DS and Wii U.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...is_indeed_digging_his_way_to_super_smash_bros

Rumours regarding Shovel Knight's inclusion in the Super Smash Bros. roster have been doing the rounds for quite some time, but we've managed to unearth some fresh evidence which suggests that Yacht Club Games' famous character is indeed about to take a bow in Nintendo's famous fighter.

We've been in touch with multiple sources within the video game retail sector - which we sadly can't name as it could lead to their dismissal - who claim that Shovel Knight is indeed about to make to his Smash Bros. début, and there will be an amiibo figure to accompany this grand event.

If you cast your mind back a little, you'll recall that Nintendo recently held a ballot to decide which characters the public would like to see added to the game, and admitted that even non-Nintendo characters could be in the running. In our own poll, Shovel Knight came second.

You might have seen rumours posted recent regarding a Shovel Knight amiibo on a Spanish retailer's site, and while the mocked-up image of the figure has led some to assume it's fake, the fresh info we've been handed would suggest that it's actually very, very real.

Yacht Club itself has been teasing a "megaton" reveal on its site this week, as well as promoting the upcoming Plague of Shadows DLC. A press release regarding the DLC seems to hint at "exclusive" content coming to Nintendo systems:

We've heard the cries of bringing more exclusive content to Nintendo platforms. It might not be quite what you expect… but keep an eye out for another MEGATON announcement soon!

The expansion will be shown off at the forthcoming PAX event, and it is understood that Nintendo has booked Wii U kiosks with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U installed on them. Could the two companies be using PAX as a platform to announce Shovel Knight's addition to the cast of Smash Bros.? We're speculating a little here, but the stars do seem to be aligning quite nicely.

Anyway, you can watch the full report on this rumour in the video below. Let us know what you think by posting a comment after you've allowed your eyes and ears to take it all in.

Not a fan of pretty much every new Smash character being leaked/spoiled. Removes the fun out of this just to up the cred of the leakers.
Also, I'm sure SK is a cool character, but I don't like the idea of him getting a spot in Smash.
After saying that each character takes a lot of resources to put in, putting in an indie character with only one game to his name that's on multiple platforms seems like a poor idea.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This would be great. They should keep looking into DLC from partner companies.

That said, I'd definitely not be surprised if it wasn't real.

I would love this, Shovel Knight has so many cool power ups, and his alt colours would probably be based on the other Knights too so that would be awesome.

MrBadger

If this was true, then Smash U would be the worst game of all time in regards to leaks. Heck, the dubious leaks turning out to be real is a big part of my Smash experience now.

Shovel Knight in Smash would certainly be one of my top picks. I voted for him in the poll.

KageZero

Man those leaks take every fun out of announcements regarding smash roster and assets . I wonder how so many leaks are possible

JCX

Shovel Knight pros

- Good nod to Nintendo's indie support
- Character/game is a love letter to NES era Nintendo

Shovel Knight cons

- Plenty of other third party characters have stronger ties to Nintendo
- While the first game is good, it's not even a franchise at this point.

Shovel Knight wasn't ever even released in Japan, was it?

That seems like a pretty big obstacle.

Edit: Actually reading this story, it is a shitload of supposition based around Shovel Knight possibly, maybe having an amiibo. Looking it up:

il8hgpj.jpg

This is what this is all about?

Warxard

Banned
If this was true, then Smash U would be the worst game of all time in regards to leaks. Heck, the dubious leaks turning out to be real is a big part of my Smash experience now.

The entire newcomer cast to UMvC3 was leaked before the announcement iirc, still the worst.

You guys really think Sakurai cares about Shovel Knight? Really?

Maybe...maybe....maybe he played it?

Deft Beck

Man those leaks take every fun out of announcements regarding smash roster and assets . I wonder how so many leaks are possible

It's one of the most popular Nintendo games available during the most connected information era in human history. Leaks are guaranteed.

@MUWANdo

Banned

It's still coming but I couldn't tell you what's taking so long. Maybe they (8-4) were just waiting on YCG to finish the Plague update so they could work on everything at once?

JoeM86

Indeed. Can you imagine how hype the E3 announcement would have been if Roy/Ryu weren't in the update files two months beforehand and the update hadn't gone live a day before? Roy coming out of nowhere followed by the megaton of Ryu. It would have been amazing

I miss the times when gaming announcements were surprises. Now, pretty much everything leaks out and it's getting tiresome. E3s these days are mostly just rumour confirmation rather than megatons. Even Final Fantasy VII had leaked a week beforehand.

Neoxon

I'm gonna call bullshit for now unless more evidence comes out. The "megaton announcement" is likely a Nintendo character cameo in Shovel Knight (Mario, Link, Kirby, Inkling Girl, etc.).

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
We've been in touch with multiple sources within the video game retail sector - which we sadly can't name as it could lead to their dismissal - who claim that Shovel Knight is indeed about to make to his Smash Bros. début, and there will be an amiibo figure to accompany this grand event.
Why would retailers know anything about DLC plans? I guess if they're already pre-selling the SK amiibo that makes sense, but it seems too early for that. Lucas and Ryu aren't landing until early next year, Shovel Knight's not gonna beat 'em to market.

DrArchon

Not buying it until I see some real proof. It's so easy now to bullshit up a story like this for clicks. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love Shovel Knight, but this rumor seems pretty suspect right now.

Besides, the character poll isn't over (I believe it ends sometime in October). Wouldn't they wait until it was over to begin work on a new character?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'd like it to be true, but I'm guessing this megaton that Yacht Club talks about is going to be a guest character appearing in Shovel Knight, similar to Battletoads and Kratos.

If they can see fit to put Commander Video and Rayman in as trophies I can't see why not have SK as a playable fighter.

L95

I'd normally say I love leaks, but if this is true there've been way too many leaks. Shovel Knight would be pretty cool though.

I'd like it to be true, but I'm guessing this megaton that Yacht Club talks about is going to be a guest character appearing in Shovel Knight, similar to Battletoads and Kratos.

If they can see fit to put Commander Video and Rayman in as trophies I can't see why not have SK as a playable fighter.

I imagine because playable fighters take a lot more work than trophies.

TimmiT

The article is by Liam Robertson/Tamaki, a writer for Unseen64 who usually seems to have legit sources. So I could see this being true.

TVGamer

Neo Member
I'm not as up for this as everyone else is it seems. If it is true I'll be a bit upset. There are so many classic Nintendo characters people have wanted in Smash for a long time now, but Shovel Knight is next to get in? I'm not opposed to him being in the game, but come on Sakurai.

Edit: Actually reading this story, it is a shitload of supposition based around Shovel Knight possibly, maybe having an amiibo. Looking it up:

This is what this is all about?

Mother 3 was never released in America though we got Lucas as DLC. :p

Kidding aside, I would love to see him in the game. Smash needs an indie representative.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
This would be amazing, but definitely taking it with a grain of salt for now.
I wonder if this would mean he could get a stage...

Kouichi

I have been considering the possibility of Shovel Knight being announced at the Nindie Event given the Smash kiosks at PAX, the Yacht Club tease, and Nintendo teasing announcements at the event. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just false speculation though.

Hope it's true!

Top Bottom