• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor (with a side of salt): Shovel Knight coming to Smash Wii U/3DS?

this post made me realize how jp focused SSB is atm. over 50 characters and only 1 is not from JP origin?

Little Mac is a Japense character, but he uses a Canadian design. That's pretty much the extent of western design in Smash.

Anyway, maybe retailers got confused. I can believe Shovel Knight getting an Amiibo. Maybe the retailers just assume it's part of the Smash line?

Wow, this would be awesome beyond believe.
I love Shovel Knight. He would make an awesome character in Smash for sure.
Shovel Knight amiibo? Hell yeah! Just give it to me now!

18-Volt

A Smash spinoff featuring all indie charcters, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Bit.trip, Mighty No9, Yooka Laylee, Mole from Steamworld Dig, Gunman Clive etc would be craziest thing ever and I might even play it more than Smash.

backlot

Little Mac is a Japense character, but he uses a Canadian design. That's pretty much the extent of western design in Smash.

Anyway, maybe retailers got confused. I can believe Shovel Knight getting an Amiibo. Maybe the retailers just assume it's part of the Smash line?

Shovel Knight getting an amiibo not related to Smash would be a pretty big deal. It would be the first third party amiibo line ever.

A Smash spinoff featuring all indie charcters, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Bit.trip, Mighty No9, Yooka Laylee, Mole from Steamworld Dig, Gunman Clive etc would be craziest thing ever and I might even play it more than Smash.

This is something people want since the first Humble Bundle. But it probably wont happen.

Ryce

this post made me realize how jp focused SSB is atm. over 50 characters and only 1 is not from JP origin?
Nintendo is a Japanese company, and 99% of the Nintendo characters that matter come from Japan. It's not like there's some kind of discrimination at play.

Outside of Rare and maybe Retro's contributions to Donkey Kong and Metroid, are there even any Nintendo characters big enough to make it in who weren't made in Japan?

DedValve

Banned
I really, really, really doubt it.

I'm sure Shovel Knight is a good game, but the character simply isn't a gaming legend. Every third party character in Smash is a famous icon in the industry. Shovel Knight is absolutely not in the same league as Pac-Man, Sonic the Hedgehog or Street Fighter.

I mean, neither is Rosalina or Captain Falcon. Thats a poor reason to be in smash.

This would make me incredibly happy if true. Shovel Knight is one of my two most-wanted DLC characters, the other being Marshal/the Chorus Kids/any Rhythm Heaven rep.

I'd be quite happy with Shantae being added in as well, but Shovel Knight takes priority for me. God, this is going to be so hype if true.

That said, the amiibo image is obviously fake or a placeholder as it uses ArtsyOmni's "Smashified!" art.

Molemitts

I liked Shovel Knight a lot, so I'm alright with this he could probably have some interesting moves. It does seem like an odd choice though, he doesn't have major ties to Nintendo and isn't even a franchise at the moment.

I was about to say that Quote from Cave Story would be cool, but he basically has the same issues. If Nintendo wanted some indie representation I would have went for Quote but Shovel Knight is very understandable at the moment.

Timeaisis

I like Shovel Knight, but this makes zero sense.

- Doesn't have a franchise (yet)
- Not a huge tentpole character (yet)
- Game didn't release in Japan (yet)
- Sold well but didn't reach the size of the audience Smash requires for 3rd party character inclusion (yet)

I can see the possibility of Shovel Knight turning into an awesome franchise and being in Smash one day. But not today.

Clov

There's also Diddy Kong, a Western made character, and Donkey Kong uses his DKC design. So it's slightly better!

As for Shovel Knight, there's a lot of characters I'd rather have, so personally I hope it's not true.

Javier

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand Shovel Knight (the game) was awesome and I'm sure the character would have a great moveset and be fun to play as.

On the other hand, Shovel Knight basically opens the door to everyone.

Outside of Rare and maybe Retro's contributions to Donkey Kong and Metroid, are there even any Nintendo characters big enough to make it in who weren't made in Japan?

Nope.

K Rool, Dixie and Dark Samus are pretty much the only western characters that aren't in Smash that could be in Smash.

Nintendo doesn't have a very large western development presence.

Shovel Knight:

• He's a cool character
  • He has a unique moveset
  • He looks like a Nintendo character
  • He looks fun to play in Smash
I'm all for it.

What game would a Shovel Knight amiibo work for though? Would it be required to unlock special content in SK1? What special content would be worth that asking price? Would be kind of shitty to make people pay for a $13 dollar figure when the playstation/xbox versions got exclusive content in game for free.

This would be absolutely insane. A game I helped Kickstart....now in Smash Bros.?!?

There's just no way I can believe this, as awesome as it would be.

Revven

Don't buy it. The other DLC characters' amiibos aren't coming until next year so why would Shovel Knight's, if he was a DLC character, show up in retail systems now? Either the amiibo isn't Smash-related at all or it's made-up nonsense.

I don't think, even with the poll, it is realistic for an indie game character to get into Smash.

I mean, neither is Rosalina or Captain Falcon. Thats a poor reason to be in smash.

I'm talking third party characters here. The standards of including first party characters such as Shulk or Falcon are obviously very different from including guest characters. To have non-Nintendo fighters in a Nintendo crossover game like this is naturally going to be a big deal, and thus, Sakurai hasn't wasted it on any C/D tier character.

Mega Man, Pac-Man, Snake, Ryu, and Sonic are amongst the most well known and iconic video game characters. All of them are Top 20 material and are important enough to warrant "invading" Smash Bros, if you know what I mean. Someone like Shovel Knight or Shantae just doesn't compare, I'm afraid.

Crocodile

The big question is who would develop it though. Not many have replicated the Smash formula with great success so far. The gameplay needs to be rock solid, not just the cast. Though I will agree with you that if done right it would be a very appealing product.

The notoriety threshold for a 3rd party character is and has to be higher than it is for any 1st party character. Your Falcon and Rosalina comparisons make no sense.

If his game hadn't been cancelled,d maybe this guy:
3263-project-hammer.jpg

He was made by Nintendo's American development team.

I'm salty as fuck. There are plenty of more deserving Nintendo characters that should get this slot before Shovel Knight. Whatever. At least it means a new character to play as.

their announcement gives this rumor some credence. saying, "We've heard the cries of bringing more exclusive content to Nintendo platforms. It might not be quite what you expect…" could mean that the exclusive content coming to Nintendo platforms is not actually going to be part of the Shovel Knight game. getting a character to appear in Shovel Knight, like Kratos and the Battletoads, is exactly what we would expect.
Would be weird if SK (Nintendo version) stays the console version with the least amount of content though.

Shovel Knight getting in would be as a representative of the indie community at large, and not just his own game. And honestly, I think he's one of the best choices for that.

And while I don't really believe this rumor yet, what if Shovel Knight's unknown Japanese publisher is actually Nintendo? And when they make the announcement, they simultaneously announce shovel knight for Japan?

It's a Mii costume. Everything's a Mii costune

Shovel Knight getting in would be as a representative of the indie community at large, and not just his own game. And honestly, I think he's one of the best choices for that.

And while I don't really believe this rumor yet, what if Shovel Knight's unknown Japanese publisher is actually Nintendo? And when they make the announcement, they simultaneously announce shovel knight for Japan?
Sounds like a good candidate for the "not what you think" major Nintendo news

To be fair, this wouldn't be the first time Amiibos outed unknown information (The Splatoon amiibos were leaked by an African ahead of the Nintendo Direct where they were announced)

I'd say grain of salt, but not unprecedented.

Neoxon

To be fair, this wouldn't be the first time Amiibos outed unknown information (The Splatoon amiibos were leaked by an African ahead of the Nintendo Direct where they were announced)

I'd say grain of salt, but not unprecedented.
But this retailer in particular isn't exactly reliable.

I would be okay with this. I'd probably get the amiibo, too.

Who is next from the indie scene? Freddie Fazbear?

I've only requested Geno, holding out hope that Nintendo and Square can work something out.
They probably won't.

Top Bottom