• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Xbox One GPU reserve getting smaller soon, down from 10% to 2%

mintylurb

Does this dude have to spin everything in favor of Xbox? This is the second thread in a row where I see an embarrassingly biased post by him. Oh well he's banned.

I'm playing Tom Raider at the moment and I haven't noticed any dramatic fps drops. I'm sure when shit explodes it might drop but they usually happen so fast and pretty violently so it's not enough to break the immersion for me. All in all it's been ok

There's a reason why some were asking if he was ok after this news: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/man-runs-into-fire-to-save-xbox-game-system

All joking aside, he prefers 28-30fps over 40-60fps during game play. Different people, different taste.

Does this dude have to spin everything in favor of Xbox? This is the second thread in a row where I see an embarrassingly biased post by him. Oh well he's banned.

I swear he's the same guy who had the Time cover Bill Gates/360 image as an avatar. That guy had a similar name and would write essays on the virtues of the 360, rationalising every piece of bad news.

hawk2025

There's a reason why some were asking if he was ok after this news: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/man-runs-into-fire-to-save-xbox-game-system

All joking aside, he prefers 28-30fps over 40-60fps during game play. Different people, different taste.

I think the point is that, much like it's impossible to know just how much higher the framerate can go if it's capped at 30, it's impossible to know how much Senjutsu actually likes something since he's capped at liking anything that's Xbox-related. :p

Buuut that's neither here nor there. For those playing the game on the PS4, where do you see most of the framerate drops? It seems to me like the main offender is the first big area, even more so than Shantytown, which is weird! Particularly during the rain segments.

beast786

I would have saved my cat, but maybe he doesn't have a pet.

If you care that much about multiplat titles and their performance, you would have bought a PC.

wtf?

I have a hefty gaming PC, and I still get some MP on consoles. Why wouldn't a console gamer care about performance?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The 2 videos shown a lot of time it dropped below 30. Did you only watched the first minute of the 1st video or something.? Saying half of the time at 30fps was being generous.

Ok, in the video, it does fluctuate a lot between 26-30, I must have remembered the video incorrectly.

My point, however, still holds: the game does not have an "embarrassing" or "ridiculous" framerate compared to what we got on current-gen consoles or even next-gen consoles. You pretty much get what happens when a developer tries to "max out" a given framerate limit. As I said, I don't want to defend that generally, I would very much prefer that developers would give locked framerates a higher priority, but it's far from being the disaster as which it is constantly being portrayed. When you play Ryse, the last thing you will think about is the framerate, with the few exceptions that I mentioned. I dear anyone to spot those 28-30 fluctuations without tool support. It's nowhere near as bad as Dead Rising 3.

I just feel like the game provokes overstatements, as it is always used as an example for why the Xbox One is not underpowered (when it just is underpowered). The problem with that is not that the game is in fact not looking or performing good, it's that the argument of defending the Xbox One's hardware by citing Ryse is inherently flawed, and that is what should be criticized. (By the way, the really funny thing about Ryse as a showcase for the console is that almost all scenes that were shown in gifs or screenshots pre-launch turned out to be from pre-rendered cutscenes).

wtf?

I have a hefty gaming PC, and I still get some MP on consoles. Why wouldn't a console gamer care about performance?

You are only allowed to care about the performance your car has if you buy a Nissan GTR or better. That is apparently the law of the internet. Comparing power levels of weaker cars is clearly beneath us

You are only allowed to care about the performance your car has if you buy a Nissan GTR or better. That is apparently the law of the internet. Comparing power levels of weaker cars is clearly beneath us

My car was an absolute beast. Until a Microsoft executive crashed into it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
You could argue that a "locked" frame rate would effectively be in place when your lowest frame matches your "capped" frame rate.

where a game never dips below 30, you could effectively lock the frame rate at that level.

Which why I said "if it drops frames", which is almost always since devs can't control min frame rates.

slapnuts

The two bolded figures are extremely important. Wanna know why so many games on Xbone are sup-1080p? Lack of ROPs. AMD themselves recommends a GPU with 32 ROPs for 1080p gaming. Why MS decided to ship with HALF that is beyond me and it will ensure that the Xbone is ALWAYS at a significant spec disadvantage no matter how often Microsoft makes small optimizations like this. They can't add more ROPs.

The second figure is significant because it gives the PS4 a major advantage in GPGPU compute. As more games take advantage of GPGPU, the gap between the two systems will likely get wider (especially for first party games.)

Those 32 ROPs also greatly benefit from the GDDR5 memory...that faster memory bandwidth helps the ROPs work in tandem to achieve that 1080p display and i believe this is why X1 is having so much trouble getting at that 1080p with less ROPs and lower DDR3 ram. When people say Cerny is God-Like...they are not kidding. A lot of people greatly underestimating what the PS4 will be capable graphic-wise . People are in for a Shock & Awe level of surprise once developers truly begin to utilize the GPGPU and all the other tech under the hood of PS4. Like i said before...even myself as a avid PC gamer....i am so excited to see developers use the PS4's architecture in a next generation way of rendering graphics in videogames...it will be the future of PC architecture, < i mean as far as graphics go for videogames.

slapnuts

I think that Halo 5 will be most telling from a technical aspect. If it's sub-1080p that will say a lot, curious what AA and rendering method they will use

Hockeymac18 comes to mind, as he believes that true, Native 1080p can easily be achievable with a GPU that doesn't have at least 32 ROPs, LOL.

There is a reason why AMD has been putting that 32ROPS number in their mid to high end videocards for a while now. Heck..even my old 5850 that i replaced a few years ago had 32 ROPs and that 5850 came out when? 2009?. It is baffling why MS did not make sure they atleast had that 32 ROPs figure in their card..let alone more ACEs because ACEs will truly play a big role in videogame graphics advancements..at least imho

Top Bottom