• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox successor codename is "Ten". Expected release Holiday 2012.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
We've heard such ridiculously conflicting reports that I don't know what to believe anymore. I'm hard pressed to believe 2012 will happen, and 2013 has been my gut feeling for a few years now.

Zzoram

But what if Halo 4 has a Xbox 1080 version that's in 1080p with 2xAA? But they also release a 640p 0xAA version for Xbox 360 and use that to trick us into thinking Xbox 1080 isn't coming 2012.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I bet Sony are always thinking of "SHOULD WE CHANGE DA NAME?" too.

I bet they are. Isn't the number 4 seen as unlucky in Japan because their pronunciation of it sounds a bit like 'death'?

There are still 360 titles planned for 2013 release. Notably, Halo 4 and GTA 5 are 2012 titles. I don't believe 2012 at all.

Mr_Zombie

TouchMyBox said:
I'd like to see the Playstation 4 compete against the Xbox 10

You had a nice run, Sony.
Pff, Playstation 3 had to compete with Xbox 360.

GrayFoxPL said:
MS fucked themselves with the naming.

While Sony comfortably just adds +1 every generation and everyone knows what's going on, MS probably spends millions doing polls and demographic surveys and shit.

Call it Xbox Turbo and be done with it.
Have they ever explained what does the "360" stands for?

GrayFoxPL

Foliorum Viridum said:
Don't advertisers dislike big numbers though? It's why games and movies get subtitles after 3 (sometimes less). They think audiences will see it as stale and stuff.

I bet Sony are always thinking of "SHOULD WE CHANGE DA NAME?" too.

Nah Playstation brand and it's numbering is solid and sunk into public mind so deep that changing the name would be suicide. Sony sits on comfort pillows in this aspect.

They probably deciding on the font right now.

Zzoram

Sho_Nuff82 said:
There are still 360 titles planned for 2013 release. Notably, Halo 4 and GTA 5 are 2012 titles. I don't believe 2012 at all.

Why not? You can still release games on your old console right up to the launch of your new console. The intention would be to keep selling the old console as the bargain price entry model into your ecosystem.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
InfiniDragon said:
...How exactly would that work, again? It's not gonna be a case of Wii vs. 360 graphically again, and even if MS went into Santa's workshop and had a few elves magically produce the chipset that makes the "omg Avatar/Samaritan graphics" on a console it still wouldn't be cheap to produce, and after PS3 took nearly 5 years to be profitable I highly doubt MS will willingly go down that road.

MS are willing to lose money on a console at least initially. So for a given price, their console will have more power/performance. Be it a faster CPU/GPU combination and/or more memory. It all adds up.

Also, MS have a proven track record for producing powerhouse consoles. Something that Nintendo have shown absolutely no interest in since the Gamecube came out.

I fully expect that the next gen Xbox and Playstation will deliver a significant and obvious upgrade relative to what the WiiU will offer in terms of graphics and processor speed.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Also:

Ten = Heaven = Cloud

241lcaf.jpg

Zzoram

Mr_Zombie said:
Pff, Playstation 3 had to compete with Xbox 360.

Have they ever explained what does the "360" stands for?

They just didn't want Xbox 2 to go against Playstation 3 because it would sound older. They couldn't just call it Xbox 3, so they had to find an excuse to use a number starting with 3. Someone decided that 360 would be good, so there it is.

Zzoram said:
Why not? You can still release games on your old console right up to the launch of your new console. The intention would be to keep selling the old console as the bargain price entry model into your ecosystem.

Indeed, they've got a bigger userbase and reduced hardware costs this time so they won't have to put the plug on 360 as quickly as they did with the original Xbox.

GrayFoxPL said:
Nah Playstation brand and it's numbering is solid and sunk into public mind so deep that changing the name would be suicide. Sony sits on comfort pillows in this aspect.

They probably deciding on the font right now.
I'm not saying they will change the name, because I agree PS4 is the best option, but it is true that once a brand gets to a certain number the advertising department begins to worry.

I bet Sony have spent millions on market research and stuff!

[Nintex]

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Remember Chris Lewis said this recently:
"We think we're a little over halfway with the life cycle of the console, but that's not to say there won't be an overlap," he told Metro. Xbox 360 launched in November 2005.

"I'm not going to announce specifically or talk about timing," he added. "But you could imagine there could be overlap, it depends. We're not being specific about the next generation at this stage. We're very fixated on what we're doing right now and the success we're enjoying."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/316289/ms-xbox-720-could-overlap-with-360s-10-year-lifecycle/

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I don't see it coming out next year. That's so damn soon. I still can't believe Halo 4 is even coming next year. That's a year too early by Halo standards. (besides ODST) Yea, I would say Holiday 2013 is more likely. It will be like Halo 2 and the 360. Halo 2 in 04, 360 in 05. That seems less crazy lol

[Nintex]

Saint Gregory said:
The 360 is selling better than it ever has so why in the world would they want to kill it?
PlayStation 3 outshipped it, it'll be in a different 'price class' next year. Xbox 360 will be the Kinect family budget machine, Xbox Ten the super duper next gen omega system to blow you away.

DangerStepp

Saint Gregory said:
The 360 is selling better than it ever has so why in the world would they want to kill it?
It's not killing it, if anything they'll probably drop the price of it bring it more adopters + Kinect and keep supporting it with cheap software thus funding the new Ten project.

360 will be to Ten what PS2 was to PS3

Edit: Beaten by seconds and we basically said the same thing. That was awesome.

offshore

Maybe this becomes relevant again,
@jimreilly Jim Reilly

Fun E3 fact: It took Phil Spencer three seconds to answer "yes" when asked if Halo 4 was coming to Xbox 360. Read into it what you will.
I dunno, don't shoot the messenger.

Ark

Halo 4 coming out holiday 2012? New Xbox coming out holiday 2012? New CoD coming out holiday 2012?

Sounds like a match made in heaven.
For some.

Shame we'll all be dead though.

ghostmind

[Nintex] said:
When people wonder who this Thurott guy is and if he's right... you should question yourself has he ever been wrong?

He called Metro for example:

Thurrott ususally knows things about what is going on inside Microsoft, but he has been known to make the wrong assumptions about the things he knows. That said, there is often a grain of truth at the the core of what he says.

GrayFoxPL said:
MS fucked themselves with the naming.

While Sony comfortably just adds +1 every generation and everyone knows what's going on, MS probably spends millions doing polls and demographic surveys and shit.

Call it Xbox Turbo and be done with it.

But it's just a codename. They'll reveal the actual name later.

EDIT: Unless you are talking about 360 name.

derFeef

Kabouter said:
Really? I think seven years is more than enough for a console generation.
I meant soon from todays viewpoint ;) We are in desperate need of some new console hardware for sure.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
offshore said:

Yes Halo 4 is coming out next year.

Saint Gregory said:

Perhaps they think sales won't be that good forever, and they should further fuel the momentum of the Xbox brand with a shiny new console. Strike while the iron is hot, you know?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Saint Gregory said:

They have to. If they don't, Sony will and they'll be fucked. The hardware is maxed out at this point. They need a new console for core gamers and they can support the 360 as a casual option for some length of time after that.

GrayFoxPL

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm not saying they will change the name, because I agree PS4 is the best option, but it is true that once a brand gets to a certain number the advertising department begins to worry.

I bet Sony have spent millions on market research and stuff!

But MS added the number "360", would advertising department worry about "4" after that?

MS tested grounds, Sony is safe for at least 357 next Playstations. ;)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
AbsoluteZero said:
I think you're underestimating the selling power of Nintendo's software.

I love Nintendo. I've owned all of there consoles but from my point of view they lost touch with the more hardcore gamer when they launched the Wii.

I haven't seen anything concrete on the WiiU that changes that. And frankly, if I can't buy any of the big multi console games on the WiiU 'cause Nintendo haven't courted the right devs then I'm not interested. It's an irrelevant platform.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
offshore said:

We would have to see video of that to really get an idea. Maybe he was thinking about his fucking dog or something for a split second. Either way, Halo 4 launch title for new Xbox. Also a 360 version. Both compatible online to play with eachother? 360 version severely feature gimped? Things that make you say hmmmmmmm

[Nintex]

Remember, Microsoft reads the concerns about Nintendo stock, Nintendo still in flux about their new system and Sony x-billion Yen in the red stories as well.

ghostmind

You know... in one week it will be the "Ten"th anniversary of the launch of the OG Xbox and Microsoft's entry into the console space.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
ghostmind said:
You know... in one week it will be the "Ten"th anniversary of the launch of the OG Xbox and Microsoft's entry into the console space.

Ohh god they're releasing it next week!

Marco1

This puts the GTA5 release in a predicament.
The perfect game to showcase the extra power, imagine a demo of here it is on xbox 360 and here it is in all its glory on xbox1080!

derFeef

Tashi0106 said:
We would have to see video of that to really get an idea. Maybe he was thinking about his fucking dog or something for a split second. Either way, Halo 4 launch title for new Xbox. Also a 360 version. Both compatible online to play with eachother? 360 version severely feature gimped? Things that make you say hmmmmmmm
There is not a single reason (based on my very little technical knowledge) Halo 4 will come out for the 360 but is also not playable on the new system without any limitations.

edit: I am tired and my english is screwed up, sorry for editing.

Kinyou

Those rumors from msnerd.com are also quite interesting (they seemingly have been right about some things in the past):

The Xbox is another story altogether. With a heady mix of rumors, tips and speculation, I am now stating that Xbox codename “loop” (the erstwhile XboxTV) will indeed debut a modified Win9 core. It will use a Zune HD-like hardware platform—a “main” processor with multiple dedicated assistive cores for graphics, AI, physics, sound, networking, encryption and sensors. It will be custom designed by Microsoft and two partners based on the ARM architecture. It will be cheaper than the 360, further enabling Kinect adoption. And it will be far smaller than the 360. It will also demonstrate how Windows Phone could possible implement Win9’s dev platform on the lower end.

Source

GrayFoxPL said:
But MS added the number "360", would advertising department worry about "4" after that?

MS tested grounds, Sony is safe for at least 357 next Playstations. ;)
Yeah but that was a brand new thing. They went from Xbox to Xbox 360. No Xbox 2 - 359. If they just released 360 consoles with each number bigger than the last that's when marketers would worry audiences would see it as getting stale.

I mean, obviously there are big exceptions to this rule, because look at Apple bringing out a new iPhone every year with the next number. I just think it's probably something Sony take in to consideration or has done in the past. You never want to miss a chance to make your brand seem more fresh.

offshore said:

That was a big disappointment to me that Halo 4 is coming to 360. Having played PC games almost exclusively and trying to go back to Reach was quite jarring.

If the "10" gets a port of Halo 4 with 1080p, 60FPS, and AA I would be extremely happy.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
2012 would be perfect. Almost all major franchises have ended or will end their trilogies next year. Gear of War, Assassins Creed Ezio Trilogie, Mass Effect, Halo, Uncharted, BioShock and so on.

Next year would be the perfect time to take the next step IMO.

Top Bottom