• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: 2K & R* San Diego working on a cross-over of 2 Games

F4r0_Atak

I want to play as an undercover cop in the mafia, and an undercover mafia agent as a cop. A playable The Departed would be a dream come true

We already did... to some extend... with Sleeping Dogs.

Project Agent is now open world cowboys vs aliens

believe

Cowboys vs Aliens? That would be nice as a spin-off of both franchise. This is actually something I really would like to play.

I dunno how reliable this guy is, but lets hope the best
http://www.upgaming.org/mafia-and-l-a-noire-are-back-as-one

He says, Hangar 13 & R* San Diego working on a crossover Game between Mafia & L.A Noire.
We should expect a demo at E3

Of course take this with a grain of SALT.

His bio:

It would be really neat!! :D

n8rtot

Neo Member
It's not real. LA Noire is a dead franchise for Rockstar. Rockstar no longer works with anyone but themselves. Remember LA Noire was a Sony title and when they dumped it because it was failing, Rockstar picked up the pieces and packaged it for release.

It's already been heavily suggested San Diego is working on Red Dead 3.

A story crossing multiple games and multiple studios would be a nightmare to produce. The closest you ever get is the Assassin's Creed series and that's under one company, spread across half a dozen studios.

Bsigg12

We should all read his well thought out opinions on why the WiiU is the best console. including such facts as: the WiiU is as powerful as the Ps4 and Xbox, devs are lazy and dont make real games, and power wise, the WiiU is the exact same as the PS4. Probably a safe person to ignore.

Wrong thread?

Edit: never mind, I see now you're talking about the source of this rumor. I was just in the Project Cars for Wii U thread so I though it had to do with that.

Double Edit: Upon closer inspection of the article, wow.

We should all read his well thought out opinions on why the WiiU is the best console. including such facts as: the WiiU is as powerful as the Ps4 and Xbox, devs are lazy and dont make real games, and power wise, the WiiU is the exact same as the PS4. Probably a safe person to ignore.

2367333-3102759360-disbe.gif

"The GPU on the Wii U is as powerful as the one on the PS4 and XBOXONE (Both consoles come with an APU guys, APU)"

Yeah guys, APU
wake up

It's not real. LA Noire is a dead franchise for Rockstar. Rockstar no longer works with anyone but themselves. Remember LA Noire was a Sony title and when they dumped it because it was failing, Rockstar picked up the pieces and packaged it for release.

It's already been heavily suggested San Diego is working on Red Dead 3.

A story crossing multiple games and multiple studios would be a nightmare to produce. The closest you ever get is the Assassin's Creed series and that's under one company, spread across half a dozen studios.

First off this rumor is shit, but...

Why is everyone assuming they'd lead development? It could be like Bloodborne or The order, where San Diego just lends a hand in some form. With GTAV done they may have the capacity for a side project.

wtf?
The Wii U is as capable as the PS4 and XBOX ONE, just the developers/editors are clearly in good terms with Sony or Microsoft for developing games on their platform (money + easy way to make games + PC release).

Why has this not come to light until now? This clearly some kind of racket between publiushers and Sony/MS. The feds need to get involved asap.

OmegaDL50

Grand Theft Auto: Detricago 1932

You know GTA setting in the prohibition era, basically a Mafia game but with more GTA freedoms.

I mean Mafia II was great but it didn't have as many freedoms or divergences that the GTA games do have.

So a Rockstar and 2K working together this would be an excellent idea.

Besides we never had a GTA game that takes place in Midwest / Detroit / Chicago anyways.

Mix the cities of Detroit and Chicago together.

Los Santos = Los Angeles
San Fierro = San Francisco
Las Venturas = Las Vegas
New York = Liberty City
Miami = Vice City

So what would the fictitious Detroit and Chicago be called? Detricago is probably a poor name and a better one can be created.

Herne

Hm.

Loved Mafia, loved LA Noire. Rockstar's scope of design would be good for Mafia, but I can't imagine much else good coming out of it. It's kinda unnecessary.

This is incredibly hard to believe. It's so incredibly hard to believe that it actually sounds like--oh, what's the word--total
fucking bullshit.

EDIT:

"(Uncharted 2, The last of Us, Nino Kuni, etc)"

Omg. This post. Hahahahaha. I love how he starts the article with "What's up guys,".

Silly little child.

kpaadet

Please keep your Mafia out of my R*, they should be busy making the next RDR, Bully or anything new, not work on a mediocre game like Mafia.

FyreWulff

Well.. technically that makes sense, you would play both the Mafia side and the detectives trying to bust up the Mafia side

Ahasverus

You know, sounds like that crazy idea that could work. Maybe a game played from the perspective of the two sides of the law? Sounds like something Rockstar could make.

CamHostage

Loved LA Noire, loved Mafia even more. But I can't see how a cross over between these two would be great especially with a massive online component.

Here human controlled mafia player, sit there while I interrogate you for 5 minutes.

Well, maybe it's two games in one? You can play as a mafia man and build up your crew, or you can play as a cop and try to clean up the streets. So one game world, one game engine, but two completely different ways to play.

(The LA Noire scenario portion feels more like DLC than a full second game playthrough compared to a full-fledged Mafia title, but maybe if Rockstar is less concerned with all the highfalutin yoke that Bondi focused on in the first game and instead the new team focused on things that complimented/contrasted a Mafia game using that technology and Rockstar mechanics, maybe there's more to it than what the first LA Noire had to offer, something that could avoid the deficiencies of the first game and still capitalize on what people liked of Noire.)

GTA 5's character switching but you'll be switching between a cop and a gangster.

...What he said (Should have read the thread.) Impossible to say if Rockstar sees a future in the character-switching mechanic (GTA5 was a just plain juggernaut, you can't say whether that mechanic sold more copies or not; the developers do seem happy they pulled it off, but who knows if this is the way forward or just a way of refreshing the series for the team,) but they do have something to learn from in making such a game if they do.

The problem with your version of the idea is, it'd be weird to be switching between a good guy and a bad guy. In GTA, you had the same goals, but it'd be hard to imagine a scenario where both the cops (and we're talking hard-boiled noir cops, ones who on any given day may rule or get rolled on the streets, not just the average on-the-dole cops, otherwise it's not Noire) and the crooks would tag-team for the same agenda. I don't see the mafia having much concern for a serial killer or something like that which would keep cops out, and even a gang war that a cop might have to pick the Mafia's side on in order to beat back the greater evil, I still don't see them going about the same missions at the same time for the same ends. It'd be cool if they could find a way to cross them up organically, but a way of doing it is not coming to mind.

Top Bottom