• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Diddy Kong Racing 2 became Excitebots; Monster Games working on DKR2 for WiiU

Hobohodo

Ahh, the yearly reminder that the UK never saw Excitebots, which then makes me remember we never got Trauma Team.

God damm it.

HUELEN10

God no, I hope to god this isn't real. I thought that Diddy Long Racing was average at best, but all 3 of Monster's Excite titles were amazing, each one better than the last! For god's sake man, World Rally was my 2009 game of the year, as in game of the entire freaking release year! I long, long so hard for ExciteNEXT to be in development, so it would break my heart if they shelf Excite and go back to work on Diddy.

It would totally break my heart. The only other vehicle game they should make is Mach Rider, that's it.

Neiteio

Well, a real dev staking his name and reputation on this does make it seem a bit more plausible.

But yeah, who knows. All I know is I love me some DKR and 'Bots, so sign me up if true!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
God no, I hope to god this isn't real. I thought that Diddy Long Racing was average at best, but all 3 of Monster's Excite titles were amazing, each one better than the last! For god's sake man, World Rally was my 2009 game of the year, as in game of the entire freaking release year! I long, long so hard for ExciteNEXT to be in development, so it would break my heart if they shelf Excite and go back to work on Diddy.

It would totally break my heart. The only other vehicle game they should make is Mach Rider, that's it.

Really?

This rumor makes it sound like it'd be Excitebots gameplay meets Diddy Kong Racing setting, hub world, and challenges.

I enjoyed Diddy King Racing, but please no. There are better franchises that Nintendo should put their money into. Mario Kart 8 can handle the kart racing business just fine. Just support it with good and reasonable DLC.

I agree with this. We don't need two "big" Kart Racers.

With that said, I was hoping that MK8 would have integrated some of DKR's good single player stuff into it, because adventure mode was a lot of fun. I'd much rather see something like that added to MK8 with some additional characters added in (ala a New Super Luigi U campaign) as DLC than a whole new game.

tolkir

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.gif

I mean the source is pretty credible, though. Here's a guy who works in the industry throwing his name out there for, what, Diddy Kong Racing?

I want to believe. ;_;

Jacobi

Banned
"1) The low sales and poor reviews of 2007′s Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast. This was a racing game based on the Donkey Kong license."

Well it was HORRIBLE.

"2) Sales for 2007′s Diddy Kong Racing DS did not live up to Nintendo’s expectations. Although the game would sell over 1 million units worldwide, it was a huge drop from the 4-5 million that Diddy Kong Racing sold on the Nintendo 64."

What exactly did they expect from that remake?

"3) In 2007, Nintendo had negotiations with Microsoft to acquire/purchase some of the characters from the original game (including Timber, Pipsy, and Taj the Genie). Microsoft was asking for more money than Nintendo was willing to pay. This was the same year that Nintendo prevented Microsoft from putting Goldeneye 007 on Xbox Live Arcade."

Who does even care about these characters? Put in Cranky instead or whatever. Nintendo preventing Goldeneye XBLA is horrible too.

"After multiple meetings with Nintendo, Monster Games removed the Diddy Kong Racing license from the prototype, but they remained persistent about designing a game around these animal themed vehicles. Nintendo suggested that Monster Games should return to the “Excite” series."

That was a great decision to burn money.

This sounds bad enough to be true... DKR2 would be cool though.

HUELEN10

This rumor makes it sound like it'd be Excitebots gameplay meets Diddy Kong Racing setting, hub world, and challenges.
Again, it's not my cup of tea. I am sure this is great news for Diddy fans, but for core Excite fans like myself, it can be worrying.

I'd rather have Monster working on F-Zero, but I'm OK with this too.
Nah, leave that to NdCUBE, they would do a good job, just look at Tube Slider.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Late spring/early summer 2015 at the earliest, if it ever sees the light of day.

They won't cannibalize Mario Kart 8 sales

Late spring/early summer 2015 at the earliest, if it ever sees the light of day.

They won't cannibalize Mario Kart 8 sales

The blog post says as much:

Nintendo purposely held off from showing Diddy Kong Racing 2 at E3 this year to avoid sabotaging the excitement around Mario Kart 8. It sounds like Diddy Kong Racing 2 will be revealed sometime in 2015, and released that same year.

In other news, Epic Games is rumored to be taking over development of Acid Ghost, Pokemon is coming to the virtual console, and Splatoon is getting a cartoon series.

I already thought about it, as it makes too much sense (hence it won't happen anyway), but this claim clearly goes overboard with ,,Microsoft negotiations'' and a platform choice which Monster Games most likely couldn't handle all by themselves.

Just give me Excite Truck 3D.

Min0

Well, Monster Games has to be working on something. They made a lot of racing games and recently have been very close to the DK ip. It sounds pretty believable to me!

bon

I find that hard to believe since Excitebots doesn't resemble DKR at all in gameplay or aesthetics. The logic doesn't quite make sense either. "We're afraid a new Diddy Kong Racing won't sell enough, so retool it into another IP that will sell even less."

The one bit of this that makes absolutely no sense though is why the he'll was excitebots released as bizarrely as it was, only in America, announced just weeks before release and pretty much no publicity, if it really had been dkr2 originally (and I'm more inclined to believe it was) that implies a fair bit of time effort and money was spent on it so why was it sent to die

Oddduck

For reference, Kevin Callahan is a dev who worked at THQ on WWE games.

Well, a real dev staking his name and reputation on this does make it seem a bit more plausible.

But yeah, who knows. All I know is I love me some DKR and 'Bots, so sign me up if true!

I feel like the OP is just guessing that this Kevin Callahan is the same Kevin Callahan who worked at THQ.

The blog says nothing about working for THQ or WWE games. How do we know it's the same Kevin Callahan?

Evenflow

Less Diddy, more Excite

Diddy Kong Excite Racing will do just fine if they need to slap him on the Excite brand to actually sell copies.

Neiteio

I feel like the OP is just guessing that this Kevin Callahan is the same Kevin Callahan who worked at THQ.

The blog says nothing about working for THQ or WWE games. How do we know it's the same Kevin Callahan?
Yeah, it appears you're right. It's not really clear at all.

Side note, the full article is really neat, with many interesting bits not in the OP.

But again, I wouldn't bet on this being legit or anything.

Yoday

This could actually get me to buy a Wii U if done properly. I pulled out my N64 to play some DKR just a few weeks ago, and it still holds up as one of the best, if not the best, cart racer ever. The hub world design is something that Nintendo should have incorporated into Mario Kart a long time ago.

The one bit of this that makes absolutely no sense though is why the he'll was excitebots released as bizarrely as it was, only in America, announced just weeks before release and pretty much no publicity, if it really had been dkr2 originally (and I'm more inclined to believe it was) that implies a fair bit of time effort and money was spent on it so why was it sent to die

I'd assume that - if this report is correct - there was a fair bit of time and energy sunk in it, then it was hit with a couple of major obstacles and hastily reworked. Nintendo weren't confident in it but saw it through as quickly and cheaply as possible, then poor US sales sunk its chances of a wider release.

DKR always felt like way more of a Rare thing than Nintendo. Bringing back the series is weird, but I guess the allure of a second multi-million selling kart racing series is too strong to resist.

If it's actually about lesser-known stars like Mallo or Dillon, then it has to be called DKR: Second Banana, surely?

The idea of putting in other lesser known characters is a great idea though. Like Smash Bros Jr. I'd be really excited if this was real, but I'm not convinced.

Neiteio

DKR always felt like way more of a Rare thing than Nintendo. Bringing back the series is weird, but I guess the allure of a second multi-million selling kart racing series is too strong to resist.

If it's actually about lesser-known stars like Mallo or Dillon, then it has to be called DKR: Second Banana, surely?
Diddy Kong Racing: Second Banana would be an amazing title.

Regarding DKR feeling like "a Rare thing," I suppose the same could've been said of the Country series.

Discomurf

Another interesting piece of DKR history that some people may not know...

The original Diddy Kong Racing for N64 also had a very interesting development cycle. It was originally a real time strategy prototype and then morphed into a racing title called Adventure Racers after which the game became a sequel to RC Pro Am. Finally per Miyamoto's suggestion in June 1997 the game became Diddy Kong Racing.

305px-Diddy-kong-racing-beta-01.jpg

DKR was only revealed very late in 1997, within two months of release (late September/early October if I remember correctly). I imagine the game was originally intended to be released later because of its somewhat close proximity to Mario Kart 64, but due to the delay of Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Twelve Tales, Nintendo was in dire need of a big Holiday release so they conjured DKR out of nowhere (or so it seemed).

-

Rvaisse

"Diddy Kong Racing 2
Road to glory"

Would Be a nice way to sell Amiibos from not so famous IPs.
And seeing how MK8 is good, i'd love to have 2 racing games from nintendo.

The interesting thing about having a second kart racer in Nintendo's stable is that it allows for a more experimental approach than MK, where there's a greater weight of expectation on what a MK title "should" be.

Top Bottom