• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Diddy Kong Racing 2 became Excitebots; Monster Games working on DKR2 for WiiU

This all sounds like wishful thinking, I mean i'm so up for racing around on a mechanized Squitter the Spider vehicle as Dillon from the rolling western to the tunes of David Wise which sounds more like some crazed dream of mine that can't find its place in reality.

If it's actually about lesser-known stars like Mallo or Dillon, then it has to be called DKR: Second Banana, surely?
Luigi as the final unlock, he is the king of second bananas after all.
I also like how that name works on two levels.

Another interesting piece of DKR history that some people may not know...

The original Diddy Kong Racing for N64 also had a very interesting development cycle. It was originally a real time strategy prototype and then morphed into a racing title called Adventure Racers after which the game became a sequel to RC Pro Am. Finally per Miyamoto's suggestion in June 1997 the game became Diddy Kong Racing.

305px-Diddy-kong-racing-beta-01.jpg

DKR was only revealed very late in 1997, within two months of release (late September/early October if I remember correctly). I imagine the game was originally intended to be released later because of its somewhat close proximity to Mario Kart 64, but due to the delay of Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Twelve Tales, Nintendo was in dire need of a big Holiday release so they conjured DKR out of nowhere (or so it seemed).

-

I had an interview for a QA job at rare many years ago, with my rejection letter they sent me a beautiful glossy company brochure, there was a logo for pro am 64 on the back, too me months maybe years to find out that became dkr

Diddy Kong Racing: Second Banana would be an amazing title.

Regarding DKR feeling like "a Rare thing," I suppose the same could've been said of the Country series.

Nah, DKC at least had Donkey Kong, barrels and was a 2D platformer. DKR was brimming with original Rare character designs and style; it felt like Rare's audition for being a developer of original IP again, rather than a racer with the look of DKC (like Barrel Blast). Heck, it had Conker and Banjo.

Phil S.

Banned
Donkey Kong Racing's cancellation hurt me more than Mega Man Legends 2. Seriously. haha

Though I can't say I'm unhappy with the end product of Excitebots, as that's one of my favorite arcade racers ever made.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I see no point in a Diddy Kong Racing 2. If we're getting another Kart game then make it Nintendo Kart with characters from all of their franchises.

Neiteio

Imagine the level Windmill Hills from Tropical Freeze, but you can drive/boat/fly around it freely in open-world 3D

This would literally be a system seller for me if it ever came out, no fucking joke.

At least if David Wise was brought in to do the soundtrack (or if they at least take most of DKR's sountrack and modernize it or something). Fucking LOVED the music in DKR, I still hum some of the themes to myself even after all these years.

Neiteio

*calls Monster Games*

Mr. Pennypacker McMoneybags, CEO of Monster Games: "Yes, hello? This is Monster Games?"

Neiteio: "Ah, great! I'm from an Internet message board and I'm calling to ask what game your studio is currently working on."

McMoneybags: "Ah, fine question, ol' chap! We secretly have three massive teams and are currently co-developing Half-Life 3 with Valve, as well as sequels to F-Zero and Wave Race."

Neiteio: "Thank you for your time."

--

so yeah, nothing of note

Sayter

Just what the Wii U needs... another kart racer... I'd rather they were working on an F-Zero or some other kind of racing game.

I would usually agree with this. But, in this case, it's like saying who wants another over the top action game from P*?

ME!!

Nintendo and Retro can do some amazing things. If I've learned one thing it's that these two devs bring a whole new dynamic to the same old genre.

NotLiquid

Another one of those cases of a source completely lacking credibility, yet the circumstances being too scarily accurate to chalk it up to complete coincidence. Granted, a lot of the article creates a convenient narrative to support itself, but it's not exactly jumping through hoops to explain the existence.

It's still baffling that Diddy Kong wasn't in Mario Kart 8. Sure, one can point to Birdo, Dry Bowser etc and say the same thing, but Diddy Kong not only had the fortune of being a relative mainstay since Double Dash, but also sees more popularity than any other cuts due to the DKCR games and even Smash Bros to a degree. I don't see why he wasn't prioritized over the likes of Baby Rosalina or Pink Gold Peach for that matter.

*calls Monster Games*

Mr. Pennypacker McMoneybags: "Yes, hello? This is Monster Games?"

Neiteio: "Ah, great! I'm from an Internet message board and I'm calling to ask what game your studio is currently working on."

Mr. Pennypacker McMoneybags: "Ah, fine question, ol' chap! We secretly have three massive teams and are currently co-developing Half-Life 3 with Valve, as well as sequels to F-Zero and Wave Race."

--

so yeah, nothing of note

You joke, but keep in mind that we live in a world where an underaged kid just straight up called up the Buffalo Bills organization last year, got straight through to the GM and then got him connected to the GM of the Tampa Bay Bucs and had them discus a trade and dog their quarter back.

So I have faith that Gaf can get this done.

Discomurf

I had an interview for a QA job at rare many years ago, with my rejection letter they sent me a beautiful glossy company brochure, there was a logo for pro am 64 on the back, too me months maybe years to find out that became dkr

Wow... very cool. Do you still have the brochure?

Neiteio

Watch, this will come true, it'll be confirmed right after all of the characters are confirmed for Smash, and Hyrule Warriors, and the new Mega Evolutions for OR/AS. I'll think I'm finally free, free of staying up all night to see which newcomer is added, only to be sucked back in, staying up until 3 a.m. EST just so Japan Time confirms Sakura Samurai for DKR2, and Tempo, and Dr. Kawashima's Disembodied Head

JDSN

Banned
*calls Monster Games*

Mr. Pennypacker McMoneybags, CEO of Monster Games: "Yes, hello? This is Monster Games?"

McMoneybags: "Ah, fine question, ol' chap! We secretly have three massive teams and are currently co-developing Half-Life 3 with Valve, as well as sequels to F-Zero and Wave Race."

--

so yeah, nothing of note
Didnt you essentially confessed that you are some big shot in a news corporation? Im sure you can get a little more info than the average fella. guy who may or may not be Wolf Blitzer.

Watch, this will come true, it'll be confirmed right after all of the characters are confirmed for Smash, and Hyrule Warriors, and the new Mega Evolutions for OR/AS. I'll think I'm finally free, free of staying up all night to see which newcomer is added, only to be sucked back in, staying up until 3 a.m. EST just so Japan Time confirms Sakura Samurai for DKR2, and Tempo, and Dr. Kawashima's Disembodied Head

And Wonder Red.
:(

Rocketz

If it ever comes true I will buy a WiiU for it

then cry because the only character I used in the original was conker

Neiteio

Oh man, I just remembered what they did to Tiny Kong in the DS version

*shudders* *projectile vomits* *showers but can't scrub it off his soul*

xandaca

Won't come true and wouldn't be worth it without that elephant who says 'hello my friend' and 'bye bye for now' in a comedy Indian accent.

Camjo-Z

This sounds way too awesome to be true. But then again, who else but Nintendo would be crazy enough to put out a kart racer featuring only their least popular characters?

Won't come true and wouldn't be worth it without that elephant who says 'hello my friend' and 'bye bye for now' in a comedy Indian accent.

I was so disappointed when I heard his changed voice in the DS remake. Sounded more like a creepy serial killer than a friendly genie.

DKR always felt like way more of a Rare thing than Nintendo. Bringing back the series is weird, but I guess the allure of a second multi-million selling kart racing series is too strong to resist.

If it's actually about lesser-known stars like Mallo or Dillon, then it has to be called DKR: Second Banana, surely?
Well the original Diddy Kong Racing had elements of working in characters from scrapped Rare prototypes (Pipsy and Timber if I recall correctly) along with characters meant to advertise upcoming games (Banjo, Conker and Tip-Tup). It's not that out of character for a potential sequel to similarly branch out to Nintendo's smaller franchises that are stuck on the eShop.
Plus Mike Jones and Captain Rainbow oh man.

A ton of regular DK characters who'd be overkill in Mario Kart (Dixie/Cranky/Funky/K.Rool/Dread Kong/Snowmads/etc.) would be cool as well, though reading this article I assume they'd keep DK himself out? I'm down for it either way, though I'd prefer we get a proper new F-Zero first.

Wow, I totally had Excite Bots pegged as Stunt Race FX 2
Oh man, Stunt Race cars/characters would be a perfect fit for a racing game with a lesser Nintendo franchise supporting cast.

The dream is already dead, they changed his voice in DKR DS where he sounds like an oddly poncy Englishman instead.
edit: or creepy serial killer as Camjo said, it was not good at any rate.

To be fair, her original design wasn't that good, either.
Tiny always was a poor mans Dixie.
At least her redesign still ain't as bad as Candy Kong.

Kevin

Diddy Kong Racing is still my favorite cart racer so if they did a new one and it was good then I would definitely be on board.

Top Bottom