• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Diddy Kong Racing 2 became Excitebots; Monster Games working on DKR2 for WiiU

Cuburt

Crazy but it sounds legit from what we know that's out there.

I remember Hero of Legend made a thread recently connecting some of those same dots.

Seems crazy enough to be true and it would make for a good follow up to Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8. The bar is raised pretty high after MK8 but if it's as much a hit as early reports have suggested, it could be a game that give more people who want to buy a Wii U for Mario Kart another reason to get the system.

I really enjoyed what DKR brought to the table and how it differentiated itself from the MK series.

Volotaire

The pieces fit too well, I guess we will find out soon, it's about time we see Monster's full project. I'm still skeptical Nintendo will release two kart racers on one platform.

TnK

I am surprised this came here after such a long time. You guys are getting rusty.

In the end, rumors, and stuff. Nothing confirmed.

I was just thinking- maybe that's where the Banjo-Kazooie rumor came up...makes sense.

If only they were in talks for both the rights to DKR and Banjo...and they revealed Banjo at E3 next summer, back to looking more like his N64 artwork.

I think GAF would melt.

What rumour?

I've learned not to trust these random blog rumors...but Diddy Kong's absence from MK7/8 would make sense. Also, the part where he says that the roster is going to be filled up with lesser known characters like Dillon, Rusty, and Mallo sounds awesome and I'd love to see that...but the diddy Kong racing 2 rumor has been around forever though, so who knows. Best not to expect anything.

I do wonder if RETRO is handing off the DK series to Monster. Monster worked on the 3DS port of the wii version and they had a really big hand in Tropical freeze. Seems like it would suit Monster better than RETRO, imo.

That all makes way too much sense. Holy shit.
Sure it makes sense, but it's not like it's anything mind blowing lol.
The whole thing basically boils down to "Excitebots had animal vehicles, Retro's recent DK games are popular, and Monster has helped work on the franchise (due to geographical convenience).
The whole thing could easily be complete bull.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Throw in Octoman and Bio Rex to soften the blow.

7WKgoCF.png

Next time!

Sponge

Banned
While I have to agree with everyone that Diddy's absence in MK8 makes sense because of this rumor, I have a bad feeling it's because he's some form of DLC. Remember, Mario Kart is confirmed to get Amiibos eventually.

Nintendo must regret the decision to not keep the ips when they sold the remaining shares to Ms...at this point Ms wont sell anything back to Nintendo just because...

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Well whatever it is, here's hoping Jill from Drill Dozer makes it in. And Stanley. And a uniracer in a kart.

Sponge

Banned
Nintendo must regret the decision to not keep the ips when they sold the remaining shares to Ms...at this point Ms wont sell anything back to Nintendo just because...

I think Nintendo using eShop characters would be a way more interesting idea than spending a lot on characters they won't be using outside of Diddy Kong Racing. Especially if those characters are also animals. The more choices like Dillion and Rusty, the better.

TDLink

Eh, I am pretty sure MS would sell the IPs. Especially with new leadership in place who don't have the same grudges. They are hardly using the IPs anyways. I think the main thing is Nintendo doesn't actually need those IPs so they have no reason to shell out money for them.

maxcriden

It's just too hard for me to believe this could be real. I don't doubt Nintendo could make something this awesome. Just sounds slightly too good to be true. Love to eat those words, though!

Vinc

I would be all over this game. I'd probably buy multiple copies. If David Wise composes the soundtrack, I'll... I don't even know. I'll probably just panic.

Zubz

Banned
Who better 3rd-party character to guest star than:

81d75c11901b03bc18baa3aa04ae0966.png

Who?

But Guh... I know the Wii U already has 2 top-tier Kart Racers and I'd still rather have F-Zero, but the more I hear, the more I want it; it might even redeem Rusty's Baseball for me!
... Ha! But for real. Dillon & Mallow? I keep putting credit cards in my Wii U and nothing's happening

Who?

But Guh... I know the Wii U already has 2 top-tier Kart Racers and I'd still rather have F-Zero, but the more I hear, the more I want it; it might even redeem Rusty's Baseball for me!
... Ha! But for real. Dillon & Mallow? I keep putting credit cards in my Wii U and nothing's happening

Rusty Pup, created by Chris Seavor who basically created Conker.

maxcriden

I would be all over this game. I'd probably buy multiple copies. If David Wise composes the soundtrack, I'll... I don't even know. I'll probably just panic.

Oh god, please don't make it worse Vinc. You're making this surely not real game sound even better somehow. :(

Vinc

True, but I think Nintendo would want to diversify their range instead of doubling down to help shift units. I guess this 'open world' aspect helps differentiate it.

It really, really does. The games do not feel the same at all, it'd be like saying Forza 5 and Forza Horizon 2 can't be on the same platform.

DKR was incredible, just give me a sequel at 60 fps with the same formula and David Wise music, then Nintendo wins this gen for me, pretty much.

Neiteio

David Wise jumping straight in to Diddy Kong Racing 2 right after Tropical Freeze would be magical don't ya think?
I'm still blown away by the sheer quantity AND quality of Wise's work on Tropical Freeze. He really went all-out. I'd love to see him dive into another Nintendo game.

Eh, I am pretty sure MS would sell the IPs. Especially with new leadership in place who don't have the same grudges. They are hardly using the IPs anyways. I think the main thing is Nintendo doesn't actually need those IPs so they have no reason to shell out money for them.
Yep, if they wanted to make a BK like game they could just use Mario or DK for that. Both probably have more selling power than BK does now a days.

I will take all the kart racers I can this gen. I really wish more publishers would make these. I will settle for fictional mascots from nonexistent games if the game plays well.

Foffy

Banned
Who?

Do you mean Mallow or Mallo? Those are two different Nintendo characters.

I remember the rumours a couple of years ago about Monster working on a Diddy Kong Racing sequel. Interesting to see it come up again.

This guy seems pretty confident about it, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

jnWake

I don't think I liked DKR that much when I was a kid (I think I sucked at it haha), but this rumour sounds so cool that I'm hyped!

Hope it's true or, at the very least, that Monster Games is working on something cool for Wii U. I've read people here doubting they'd work on Wii U since they're small.

Top Bottom