• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Microsoft intends to launch the Xbox Series X before the PS5 by any means, even if the launch games are affected

Rolla

Banned
Yes, the 15 studios they have now are just for show.

Can you stop trolling, please? Jesus christ.

When those studios put out something with more graphical fidelity than Fortnite. Outside of Halo, Gears, and Forza everything they make lacks realistic graphics, textures, even the facial animations are fixed.

SOD2
Bleeding Edge
SOT
Grounded
Crackdown 3
Battle TOads
Everwild

You don't notice that they all look like a version of Fortnite? Before you tell me about a studio count tell me about the last new AAA ip XBOX released? Count those years before you accuse anyone of trolling.

Social media and all affiliate speculators of the launch of the next generation of consoles have been an absolute travesty.
It's esentially slowly but surely becoming politics.

TBiddy

A studio is only as good as its last game.

Since these studios have no games - yeah they’re just for show until they produce something to show.

So let’s see MS make it a success. Their performance to date hasn’t been good integrating game studios... and now they’re putting time pressure on them too.

Oh I agree. But posting shit like "Why does the XBOX strategy to beat PS encompass everything except actual great games and experiences?" makes absolutely no sense, when Microsoft is using a lot of money to produce even more great games that they are already doing.

It's trolling, and that's all there is to it.

When those studios put out something with more graphical fidelity than Fortnite. Outside of Halo, Gears, and Forza everything they make lacks realistic graphics, textures, even the facial animations are fixed.

SOD2
Bleeding Edge
SOT
Grounded
Crackdown 3
Battle TOads
Everwild

You don't notice that they all look like a version of Fortnite? Before you tell me about a studio count tell me about the last new AAA ip XBOX released? Count those years before you accuse anyone of trolling.

Ok, so we're moving the goalposts from "Microsoft does everything to beat PS5 outside of producing great games" to "I don't like how the games look".

SOD2
Bleeding Edge
SOT
Grounded
Crackdown 3
Battle TOads
Everwild

Not going to be a problem. Hellblade 2 will be a looker. Playgrounds new AAA rpg will be a tech showpiece. They recently hired ex Rockstar devs and Rocksteady devs and are know to make world class graphics in the Forza Horizon series. The Initiative is full of lead/senior Sony Santa Monica/Naughty Dog/Crystal Dynamics devs. Based on what Shinobi has said, these games will look spectacular. Then you have The Coalition, who are masters of UE and will make the upmost out of the new UE5. Obidian is working on a new AAA game. InXile is rapidly growing and making their first AAA game with ex Sony Santa Monica lead combat designer. Compulsion is growind rapidly by hiring a lot of key ex Ubisoft devs.

We will be seeing some of these at the MS 1st party main E3 event in July.

Rolla

Banned
Ok, so we're moving the goalposts from "Microsoft does everything to beat PS5 outside of producing great games" to "I don't like how the games look".

Nobody likes how those games look or play! Check meta

Bleeding Edge - 66
State Of Decay - 66
Sea Of Thieves - 68
Crackdown 3 - 60
Super Lucky's Tales - 64
Recore - 63

I'm not here to damage control for a billion dollar corporation. I'm not here to tout a powerful machine that doesn't have experiences crafted to run on that console. Not asking for better is a systemic part of the reason XBOX is in the position they're in.

ToadMan

Not really, the new studios are getting up to a year post launch.

To make a AAA game from scratch...? a year is nothing.

GOT has taken SP 6 years and they already had experience from Infamous, engines to work with, a whole 1st party environment around them to share ideas and solve problems.

MS’s new acquisitions won’t be pumping out anything approaching AAA quality until end of 2022.

We might see some small games from them - think equivalent to Claphanz or HouseMarque’s games. in a year to 18 months.

TBiddy

Bleeding Edge - 66
State Of Decay - 66
Sea Of Thieves - 68
Crackdown 3 - 60
Super Lucky's Tales - 64
Recore - 63

I'm not here to damage control for a billion dollar corporation. I'm not here to tout a powerful machine that doesn't have experiences crafted to run on that console. Not asking for better is a systemic part of the reason XBOX is in the position they're in.

It's nice how you conveniently leave out the good games on the platform. Your concern is duly noted, and it's obvious that you're not here to wage war, based on your extremely well thought out argument, that Microsofts strategy isn't to produce any good games.

Rolla

Banned
It's nice how you conveniently leave out the good games on the platform. Your concern is duly noted, and it's obvious that you're not here to wage war, based on your extremely well thought out argument, that Microsofts strategy isn't to produce any good games.

I've been a XBOX gamer way before the Phil Spencer era. To me, and seemingly millions of others, this new direction just isn't it. I could be wrong.

I truly hope I'm wrong.

But since my argument doesn't seem clear to you at this present time, lets talk when the preorders go live for both consoles or after the July event. I have a feeling that at that point, it'll be as clear as broad daylight on a hot summers day.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Why does the XBOX strategy to beat PS encompass everything except actual great games and experiences?

Lockheart to undercut Sony? Launch before Sony? The worlds Most TFLOP console?

How about they get some confidence in their platform and postion it as a must have in the console space by showcasing their machine. and the games built to run on that bitch. Oh wait...
How about you take off the sony goggles and realize this article is made up and not real?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Just about every single Xbox X on store shelves at the end of this year in the US will be picked up by a die hard Xbox fan who pre-ordered it months earlier. Members of the general public will have almost no chance at all to buy one unless Microsoft somehow is able to produce many, many more than they did during previous launches.

So I don't see how launching a month earlier will help Xbox sales. It will however help the PR department, since the media won't focus on comparisons between Xbox and Playstation when both consoles launch immediately after one another.

ZywyPL

Banned

Cherry picking is so easy it's not even funny, look:

Knack - 54
Knack 2 - 69
DC - 71
TO1886 - 63
KZSF - 73
Shenmue 3 - 67
Days Gone - 71

I love whenever someone tries to bring up exclusives as an argument for their agenda, but only highlights the usual 4-5 titles and completely ignores all the others that had mixed/bad reception. Whatever, just ignore the trolls.

sinnergy

Corona changed peoples mindset , I bet they hunger new tech, so if you can launch early , launch early.

Last edited:

Bleeding Edge - 66
State Of Decay - 66
Sea Of Thieves - 68
Crackdown 3 - 60
Super Lucky's Tales - 64
Recore - 63

Biggest new exclusive IP this generation

oldergamer

Bleeding Edge - 66
State Of Decay - 66
Sea Of Thieves - 68
Crackdown 3 - 60
Super Lucky's Tales - 64
Recore - 63

You know how we can tell you are here to troll? When you don't apply the logic used equally to both Sony and MS. This list proved it.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Oh I agree. But posting shit like "Why does the XBOX strategy to beat PS encompass everything except actual great games and experiences?" makes absolutely no sense, when Microsoft is using a lot of money to produce even more great games that they are already doing.

We've all been hearing the same record for a decade or more. I don't know how you guys do it, always waiting for it.

Biggest new exclusive IP this generation

On Xbox. Which says a lot really.

Last edited:

TBiddy

I've been a XBOX gamer way before the Phil Spencer era. To me, and seemingly millions of others, this new direction just isn't it. I could be wrong.

I truly hope I'm wrong.

But since my argument doesn't seem clear to you at this present time, lets talk when the preorders go live for both consoles or after the July event. I have a feeling that at that point, it'll be as clear as broad daylight on a hot summers day.

I have no doubt that the PS5 will beat the XSX in terms of hardware sales, but that's not really what we're discussing. The argument you made was that Microsofts strategy doesn't involve creating great games.. and as we all know, that is bollocks.

We've all been hearing the same record for a decade or more. I don't know how you guys do it, always waiting for it.

Waiting for what?

Last edited:

McCheese

What does this title even mean, even if the launch games are not ready? Nobody is dumb enough to launch a console with a bunch of unfinished games.

Halo and Fable are probably not far off going gold.

So Microsoft wants people to remember XS 12 tflops as the worse launch in hystory... in a time when youtube is a thing. Great plan, Phil.

So Phil, we can say it's ok to wait a year or more to get the hardware, right?

And the last time they rushed an hardware, it turned out so well, right Phil?

tumblr_mdp91921eC1qh7gfao1_500.gif

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Waiting for what?

These "great games".

Last time MS had a GOTY contender was 13 years ago. Last time they produced an original mega hit was 14 years ago. It's a sea of mediocrity. Sure Forza Horizon is a good game, but really, this is the highlight of the Xbox One generation?

It's a bit insane how they even sold 50 million consoles honestly, the 360 era fans really come through if anything. Probably the only of the big three that ever got such a pass, launching a mediocre console with mediocre first party and still manage to sell over 50 million.

You question the point, but yeah MS's focus is clearly not on games. Phil Spencer is already talking about Netflix, and that's really the same kind of talk that lead to the Xbox One. It's apparent that their recent investment in studios is only because they need content to put on gamepass.

Last edited:

TBiddy

These "great games".

Last time MS had a GOTY contender was 13 years ago. Last time they produced an original mega hit was 14 years ago. It's a sea of mediocrity. Sure Forza Horizon is a good game, but really, this is the highlight of the Xbox One generation?

It's a bit insane how they even sold 50 million consoles honestly, the 360 era fans really come through if anything. Probably the only of the big three that ever got such a pass, launching a mediocre console with mediocre first party and still manage to sell over 50 million.

You question the point, but yeah MS's focus is clearly not on games. Phil Spencer is already talking about Netflix, and that's really the same kind of talk that lead to the Xbox One. It's apparent that their recent investment in studios is only because they need content to put on gamepass.

There's a lot of great games on Xbox. Sure, they might be a different genre than what we see on the PS, but they are great games none the less. But sure, let's start a list war. I know that's what you're working towards, anyways.

It's fun how you say "the focus is not on games" and follow it up with "they need content [games] to put on gamepass". Which one is it? Can't really get games to put on gamepass without a focus on games...

Thirty7ven

Banned
There's a lot of great games on Xbox. Sure, they might be a different genre than what we see on the PS, but they are great games none the less. But sure, let's start a list war. I know that's what you're working towards, anyways.

It's fun how you say "the focus is not on games" and follow it up with "they need content [games] to put on gamepass". Which one is it? Can't really get games to put on gamepass without a focus on games...

No list wars. Obviously this is all subjective but we are enthusiasts and we understand how the industry has reacted, and so there's no need to sugar coat it.

It's funny because it's true. They need gamepass exclusives, a lot of them preferably. That means they need to make a lot of deals, and since they can't fully depend on deals with third parties, they expand their own studios. Gamepass is still the focus, and gamepass needs a steady stream of releases. They don't need great games, that might take 4 or 5 years to make, they need good games that might only take two or three years to make.

Either way, I'm looking at their track record and predicting where they will go. You are looking at what?

TBiddy

No list wars. Obviously this is all subjective but we are enthusiasts and we understand how the industry has reacted, and so there's no need to sugar coat it.

It's funny because it's true. They need gamepass exclusives, a lot of them preferably. That means they need to make a lot of deals, and since they can't fully depend on deals with third parties, they expand their own studios. Gamepass is still the focus, and gamepass needs a steady stream of releases. They don't need great games, that might take 4 or 5 years to make, they need good games that might only take two or three years to make.

Either way, I'm looking at their track record and predicting where they will go. You are looking at what?

They need to focus on games in order to have anything to release on Gamepass.. thus your entire premise [focus is not on games] is wrong, unfortunately.

Historically Microsoft has produced a lot of highly acclaimed games. If you use the track record to predict the future, that's what you should focus on, instead of arbitrarily choosing a time period that suits your narrative.

Thirty7ven

Banned
They need to focus on games in order to have anything to release on Gamepass.. thus your entire premise [focus is not on games] is wrong, unfortunately.

Historically Microsoft has produced a lot of highly acclaimed games. If you use the track record to predict the future, that's what you should focus on, instead of arbitrarily choosing a time period that suits your narrative.

What you say is a fallacy. Needing a lot of games for gamepass, doesn't mean they are focusing on the games themselves. It means they are focusing on providing gamepass with content. These games have a production schedule that will have to align with their need to provide gamepass with first party.

And no history doesn't paint MS as a producer of highly acclaimed games. How can history say that if they haven't had a goty contender in 13 years?

TBiddy

What you say is a fallacy. Needing a lot of games for gamepass, doesn't mean they are focusing on the games themselves. It means they are focusing on providing gamepass with content. These games have a production schedule that will have to align with their need to provide gamepass with first party.

And no history doesn't paint MS as a producer of highly acclaimed games. How can history say that if they haven't had a goty contender in 13 years?

Of course it's not a fallacy. The end goal may (may) be providing content for Gamepass, but they still need to focus on games in order to provide exclusive content for Gamepass. There's no way around it. Call it a fallacy if you wish, that doesn't make you right.

I'd say the bolded highlight in your quote reveals your intentions. How can any gamer say with a straight face, that Microsoft hasn't historically produced highly acclaimed games? It saddens me that it's more important to wage war than to acknowledge what your worst enemy is also capable of.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I'd say the bolded highlight in your quote reveals your intentions. How can any gamer say with a straight face, that Microsoft hasn't historically produced highly acclaimed games? It saddens me that it's more important to wage war than to acknowledge what your worst enemy is also capable of.

I’m not waging war. You’re just watering down the meaning of the phrase to basically include every publisher ever.

TBiddy

I’m not waging war. You’re just watering down the meaning of the phrase to basically include every publisher ever.

I think the best response to this is to repeat my previous response.

Apparantly it's more important for you to fight the war than to actually acknowlege what Microsoft historically has done.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Apparantly it's more important for you to fight the war than to actually acknowlege what Microsoft historically has done.

I’m just not that interest in defending Microsoft’s image when it comes to games.

I think they have moved console gaming forward through the things that excite them at a core business level. And that’s services. First with Xbox live and now with Gamepass. I don’t see the point in pretending they are anything close to industry leading when it comes to games themselves.

The one development studio they had that was industry leading was Bungie. Which they struck gold with and then let go because they thought the Halo brand was what mattered. Imagine if they had focused on the games, and let Bungie make Destiny?

Last edited:

TBiddy

I don’t see the point in pretending they are anything close to industry leading when it comes to games themselves.

The one development studio they had that was industry leading was Bungie. Which they struck gold with and then let go because they thought the Halo brand was at mattered. Imagine if they had focused on the games, and let Bungie make Destiny?

No one said they are. Talk about producing a fallacy.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Except when for example Forza Horizon 4 was in 2018?

It was, really? I guess you can make the list of contenders large enough to include anything you want really.

No one said they are. Talk about producing a fallacy.

Then how are you trying to measure it? That's what I was referring to when I said watering down the meaning of the phrase to include any publisher. You can say all publishers have a history of producing great games.

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned

Historically Microsoft / XBOX has created great games. That's the point you don't seem to understand. When people question their direction, instead of damage controlling or being dismissive, why don't you take a minute to respond to the arguments as they're laid out instead of branding everyone you disagree with as a console warrior?

Let me be emphatic. I want XBOX to do better. I can only imagine how superb this gen would have been if XBOX had a slate of ip akin to what Sony has released. THat's what people are "fighting" for. But when people take any criticism as a slight to their platform of choice, it's difficult to get to that desired point.

I'm not afraid of calling any publisher out. If I do any you see it as a war then that's a you problem. I mean, I purchased an XBOX One, XBOX One S, and a XB1X. But despite the endless Phil Spencer PR... The FACT is that the last new AAA Xbox put out was QB in early 2016

4 whole years and some months ago...

Last edited:

TBiddy

Then how are you trying to measure it? That's what I was referring to when I said watering down the meaning of the phrase to include any publisher. You can say all publishers have a history of producing great games.

I'm saying they have historically created a lot of highly acclaimed games. It seems Rolla agrees with this, as seen below. I think everyone except you feels that way.

Feel free to brand it as "watering down" or whichever defense you're running with, in order to not acknowledge Microsofts history.

Historically Microsoft / XBOX has created great games. That's the point you don't seem to understand. When people question their direction, instead of damage controlling or being dismissive, why don't you take a minute to respond to the arguments as they're laid out instead of branding everyone you disagree with as a console warrior?

Let me be emphatic. I want XBOX to do better. I can only imagine how superb this gen would have been if XBOX had a slate of ip akin to what Sony has released. THat's what people are "fighting" for. But when people take any criticism as a slight to their platform of choice, it's difficult to get to that desired point.

I'm not afraid of calling any publisher out. If I do any you see it as a war then that's a you problem. I mean, I purchased an XBOX One, XBOX One S, and a XB1X. But despite the endless Phil Spencer PR... The FACT is that the last new AAA Xbox put out was QB in early 2016

4 whole years and some months ago...

There's very few arguments to respond to, when the posts consist of nonsense such as "they don't care about games", "historically they haven't produced great games", "they don't focus on games" and stuff like that.

You can try and paint it whichever way you want, but it's obvious for most what it really is - good old fashioned concern trolling. I suspect there is a reason why you tried to shift focus to pre-order numbers, all of the sudden.

sinnergy

Not all systems sell the same though. Which is why a few weeks might not matter of people can wait that long. A whole year is a different story.
Yes , it took PS3 almost a whole gen to surpass.

First is always better, you have the stage alone . And can show and tell it without distractions.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I'm saying they have historically created a lot of highly acclaimed games. It seems Rolla agrees with this, as seen below. I think everyone except you feels that way.

Feel free to brand it as "watering down" or whichever defense you're running with, in order to not acknowledge Microsofts history.

For purposes of the discussion, and how they compare to Sony and Nintendo, and also Sega, it does seem like watering down the meaning.

I can say that about any publisher. EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Sega, Konami, Capcom, Take Two, THQ, Square Enix, etc etc etc they all have a history of creating highly acclaimed games. Everyone has.

Think the debate is really about how that history compares with others. And it's very unfavorable to MS.

Of course you say it's concern trolling, but I'm not concerned about it. I'm not concerned that MS won't make great games, rather I'm saying that they aren't historically known for that. And I doubt much will change in the future. This isn't concern. Historically Xbox first party are known for 3 games, Halo, Forza, Gears. That's it. Two of them are from the original Xbox years.

I'm not going to change my outlook just because Phil Spencer is making promises.

Last edited:
First is always better, you have the stage alone . And can show and tell it without distractions.

Yeah which is why I think that Sony showing off their PS5 in a big reveal before Microsofts shows off their next gen games could be very important.

But I honestly don't believe that 1st is always better. Not only do you have to be first but everything needs to be in top shape. Everthing from the messaging to the quality of the hardware has to be top notch.

Like we saw with the 360 rushing it to launch caused many consoles to suffer from hardware failures. That's an example on how being 1st isnt more important than being ready.

Last edited:
Top Bottom