• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Nintendo cancels Eternal Darkness 2; Fact: Silicon Knights hit by layoffs

Seik

Banned
No Starfox, no Mario, no Donkey Kong, no Zelda. Please. Give these franchises to B teams and let Retro do something new and good.

Oooooh no, please, this is nonsense.

I want Retro to do all of this PLUS something new. Don't give those precious names to other team so they can fuck everything up. Retro is synonym of good, I want my next Star Fox/Zelda/DK made by them.

This is Nintendo politics I don't understand, or at least I don't agree with.
If they want third party love, they better show more interest in their second party first.
If they want more core gamers games and generally more games for their systems, they also need to invest in more western studios.
They should have secured Silicon Knights IPs and supported them years ago.

It would be like purchasing the Titanic somewhere between hitting the iceberg and it fully sinking.

Bad news one after another... :(

I hope that at least the game gets picked up by some other studio if this is true, but it won't be the same.
I'm sorry for all involved.

Maxrunner

It would be like purchasing the Titanic somewhere between hitting the iceberg and it fully sinking.

Well Retro was once a titanic that somehow they managed to salvage.....the problem is they don't have a truly decent western company besides Retro, meanwhile Sony has lots of......this E3 reallywas the worst in a while for Nintendo.....no decent news besides ubisoft games....go figure...

Relax.MX

C'mon Nintendo I need something to believe in you...put some money there..

THIS IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU GO AGAINST THE NEOGAF

Uq7iO.png

Linkhero1

If this is true then FUCK YOU Nintendo. This and Retro's title were the two games I was looking forward to playing this generation. Seriously...FUCK YOU NINTENDO. This alone will cause me to hold off buying a Wii U until they cut the price due to low sales.

UGH

Blunt

Banned
I wouldn't trust Silicon Knights to do Eternal Darkness justice. Have they even made any great games since the first?

You've just laid out an open invitation for the beardos and fruitcakes to come slithering out of the woodwork and proclaim Too Human was a good game.

You've doomed us all.

If this is true then FUCK YOU Nintendo. This and Retro's title were the two games I was looking forward to playing this generation. Seriously...FUCK YOU NINTENDO. This alone will cause me to hold off buying a Wii U until they cut the price due to low sales.

UGH

Don't talk nonsense. Nintendo spending money on an out-of-sorts dev team to revive a decade-absent franchise is one thing, but having to throw 10 million extra at them to keep them afloat? No, as much as I'd like to see ED2, it not coming is squarely down to SK's incompetence, not because of Nintendo.

Linkhero1

Don't talk nonsense. Nintendo spending money on an out-of-sorts dev team to revive a decade-absent franchise is one thing, but having to throw 10 million extra at them to keep them afloat? No, as much as I'd like to see ED2, it not coming is squarely down to SK's incompetence, not because of Nintendo.

I don't care if SK goes under. I care about Eternal Darkness 2 regardless of who's developing it.

aeolist

Banned
Nintendo's history of predicting which studios and games can be salvaged versus those which cannot is so good that I don't see how anyone can question them at this point.

Say what you will about the company but their eye for software is the best in the industry. If they didn't think SK was worth the investment then they weren't and I doubt anyone else will step in.

goldenpp72

I don't think I really understand, why do people want ED2 developed by this company? ED1 doesn't exactly hold up the best today, and it's very clear that SK has not been able to keep up with the progressions in this industry. Too human was a decent game, but decent isn't good enough when your game crosses the development time of 3 console generations, and there following work afterwards got even worse.

People trash Rare, yet all of Rares titles have still been good to great, scoring accordingly and even outselling SK efforts, SK is a terrible dev company for unknown reasons, but i'd not trust any beloved IP to them at this point. I hope any developers that have lost their jobs manage to find work in the industry that suits their talent, but clearly SK is not capable of outputting anything worth a damn today. If Nintendo cares about this game a lot (I doubt they do considering the original didn't exactly light the world on fire) it would probably be best to just hand it to a new developer with Nintendo oversight.

No one made Silicon Knights sue Epic under really spurious reasoning.

No one made them produce bomb after bomb after bomb with years of dev time.

evangd007

A new developer, built and owned by Ninty, starring former members of SK and other industry talent. IF ED2 was far along enough and still desirable. Doubt it would happen, though.

Best possible outcome. SK without the mismanagement of Dyack nor the debt, doing what they do. Other desirable outcomes include giving ED2 to Retro (possibly expanding Retro or starting a satellite dev house under the Retro umbrella, like how EA puts every studio they make or acquire under the Bioware umbrella) or to Next Level Games. I just do not want to consider the undesirable outcome, where there is no ED2.

Hero

I feel bad for the people that are losing their job but Dyack was a schmuck that seemed to never really want to address reality.

UGH
Dude. The fact that they were making this at all was a treat. SK is a sinking ship and throwing more money at them for a game they expect little return on (like the original) would be stupid and reckless. Don't overreact. This is a business.
Good news is that if they started it once, it means they could easily start it again.

Linkhero1

okay, eternal darkness 2 by blitz games

That would be awesome. Give me an ED game with a take on Glover. You know you want it.

Dude. The fact that they were making this at all was a treat. SK is a sinking ship and throwing more money at them for a game they expect little return on (like the original) would be stupid and reckless. Don't overreact. This is a business.

Like I said. I don't give two shits about SK. They can go under for all I care. I just want a good studio to develop Eternal Darkness 2. Not sure why everyone is assuming I give a shit about a studio that can't do anything right.

olimpia84

This sucks, I was a big fan of the original. It hurts to know that they were actually developing the game yet it will never see the light.

Oooooh no, please, this is nonsense.

I want Retro to do all of this PLUS something new. Don't give those precious names to other team so they can fuck everything up. Retro is synonym of good, I want my next Star Fox/Zelda/DK made by them.

They're too good to keep making the same franchises over and over. Let NOJ keep doing that.

That would be awesome. Give me an ED game with a take on Glover. You know you want it.

Like I said. I don't give two shits about SK. They can go under for all I care. I just want a good studio to develop Eternal Darkness 2. Not sure why everyone is assuming I give a shit about a studio that can't do anything right.
I think it was more your overreaction to dissmissing the wii u that threw me off I guess.

I'm still bitter about the conference. Don't mind me :p

It wasn't so much the conference, although it was awful, it was the glaring lack of third party support that bothered me. Huge presence last year claiming they were going to support Nintendo, and then gone this year.

Is Denis still banned on the forums? If so, someone should reach out and give him the opportunity to explain, no? Or would he stay away if given the chance?

Linkhero1

It wasn't so much the conference, although it was awful, it was the glaring lack of third party support that bothered me. Huge presence last year claiming they were going to support Nintendo, and then gone this year.

I just felt as if the show fell apart after they showed Pikmin 3. They opened really strong and it exponentially went down hill from there. The lack of third party support did bother me and the demonstration of Batman AC killed me.

johnsmith

remember me
And nothing of value was lost.

ED2 would not have been good. Silicon Knights obviously can't make decent games anymore.

SmithnCo

UGH

Honestly I can't blame them. I would kill for a good ED2... But Silicon Knights is currently a clusterfuck.

Linkhero1

And nothing of value was lost.

ED2 would not have been good. Silicon Knights obviously can't make decent games anymore.

Are you saying Nintendo wouldn't have been able to guide them through this game? Nintendo's known for their guidance during game development.

Honestly I can't blame them. I would kill for a good ED2... But Silicon Knights is currently a clusterfuck.

True. Let's just hope they find someone else, who's actually good at game development, to finish the job.

Instro

Disappointing for sure. Hm, it'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. Hopefully Nintendo will pick it back up or outsource to another studio.

UberTag

ED2 was never going to be good anyway coming out of Silicon Knights so this isn't such a terrible loss.

Hopefully anyone that remained at SK with some level of talent finds their way to landing a gig at some place more stable like Capybara, Drinkbox, Queasy, Ubisoft Toronto or any of the other noteworthy devs in the GTA area.

SmithnCo

If ED2 never comes to fruition and was truly in development... At least we can look forward to getting the eventual leaks. I would certainly like to see where they were headed with this.

Somnid

Honestly, while it sucks that people are losing their jobs 'n all, it really fucking surprises me that SK has been in business this long after so many mediocre titles that have also failed to do well commercially. You're all hype, Dyack. Why didn't they just consolidate and refocus on something sustainable for a smaller crew, like mobile or PCs after TH or X-Men?

Funny thing about that. SK actually left the Nintendo fold because they wanted to make bigger more epic games with budgets Nintendo would never approve.

List of companies that would likely still be alive today if they had stuck with Nintendo:

-Silicon Knights
-Free Radical
-Factor 5

Hell Sega would be in much better shape too. I shudder to think how much next-gen is going to kill. One major bomb and you're out.

Hiltz

The story sounds believable and if it is true, then Silicon Knights obviously only has itself to blame. Nintendo shouldn't have to pay for SK's massive debt and salvage whatever is left of the company. Eternal Darkness 2 wouldn't have likely lived up to expectations even if SK were allowed to finish it. Goodbye, Eternal Darkness.

Top Bottom