• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Sony in talks to acquire Paramount

EDMIX

Paramount+ is at 71 million subscribers, it only launched in 2021.

Huh? not necessarily

Paramount did not launch in 2021, it BOUGHT CBS Access in 2021, at the time CBS had millions of subscribers as it was out since 2014, so.....no, they didn't launch in 2021 and gain 71 million subscribers. I see the point you are making, but we need clarity and context to get the full picture.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/15/...ew-name-rebrand-2021-international-disney-hbo
Netflix hit 100 million subscribers in 2017. Netflix launched streaming in 2007.

Yes, but that was also the start of a lot of that, as they built the concept of how a lot of this would work (culturally anyway). So 100 million is an amazing feat regardless, but maybe more amazing then vs now. The blueprint has already been made.

With almost 270 million, Netflix is the one to beat and aim for right now and I think this purchase of Paramount is a solid buy if true based on what Sony is seeking with those streaming purchases. I kept thinking they'd make some Anime streaming thing when they bought Funimation and CrunchyRoll, but I have no clue what Sony is aiming to do. Legally, I don't know if they can even do some mega streaming thing like Sony Streaming etc will all of them combined lol
Won't be surprised if they buy Tidal next.

Maybe...lol

Topher

Gold Member
GMmI6QdW8AAR0Xc

Someone make sure Sony realizes the price being negotiated is in dollars.....not yen.

Matthew Broderick GIF

yurinka

Sony does almost nothing to connect PlayStation to Sony pictures. Idk why anyone would ever think this would impact PlayStation any time soon.

Edit: Before you comment, PlayStation is driving the Movie/TV stuff (Twisted Metal, TLOU) not Sony pictures.
In addition to make movies of stuff like Monster Hunter, Metal Gear Solid or Zelda, they have over 10 projects in the works at PlayStation Productions, movie, tv show or anime adaptations of SIE IPs.

PlayStations Productions is a Sony Pictures and SIE joint venture. Plus there's the game adaptations of stuff like Ghostbusters, which also got guest content in games like PS Home, Little Big Planet, Destiny 2 and so on.

Why tf would Sony want to buy Paramount plus?
Sony made an offer to acquire the whole Paramount Global, which yearly generates $30B in revenue and $10B in gross profit and includes a ton of stuff. If they end acquiring them pretty likely will make a huge restructuring, may shut down many things and will move their content to Sony services, channels, etc.

If I was Sony I'd merge all their whole available catalof from Sony and Paramount movies, tv series, tv shows, paid tv channels, animation, anime and music in a single service that would have store, individual rental or subscription with different layers. And I'd migrate all the user libraries and subscriptions there.

$26B for a company with a market cap of $9B and also losing money (negative EPS).
It's a company with a steady yearly revenue of $30B, gross profit of $10B and a shit ton of assets and IPs. They have operating costs eating these profits since 5 years ago, but Sony could easily axe a huge chunk of them because many of the things they do already have people to do them at Sony.

It also has enough market share to put Sony as the market leader in Hollywood after the acquisition.

Last edited:
Huh? not necessarily

Paramount did not launch in 2021, it BOUGHT CBS Access in 2021, at the time CBS had millions of subscribers as it was out since 2014, so.....no, they didn't launch in 2021 and gain 71 million subscribers. I see the point you are making, but we need clarity and context to get the full picture.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/15/...ew-name-rebrand-2021-international-disney-hbo

Okay, so 71 million users since 2014... that's not bad for your first 10 years.
Yes, but that was also the start of a lot of that, as they built the concept of how a lot of this would work (culturally anyway). So 100 million is an amazing feat regardless, but maybe more amazing then vs now. The blueprint has already been made.

With almost 270 million, Netflix is the one to beat and aim for right now and I think this purchase of Paramount is a solid buy if true based on what Sony is seeking with those streaming purchases. I kept thinking they'd make some Anime streaming thing when they bought Funimation and CrunchyRoll, but I have no clue what Sony is aiming to do. Legally, I don't know if they can even do some mega streaming thing like Sony Streaming etc will all of them combined lol

Netflix had to build out the concept, but they also had no competition.

You don't need to "beat" Netflix, but Netflix certainly is a model to massively increase Sony's Market Cap in a way that they've been unable to do simply by being dominant in console gaming. Sony rolled Funimation into Crunchyroll. It's the clear leader in Anime in most parts of the world outside of Japan.

I don't know what would prevent them from doing a bundled streaming service, but again, not just streaming, you throw in PS+ in there too and then when you look at PC and you're already paying for Sony+ the question become more clear why not utilize Sony's PC Storefront that you're already paying for membership with. You have 100 people who are unpaid Crunchyroll users, the ability to convert them into paid customers rather than just farm their advertising is huge.

Maybe...lol

Sony is massive in the music world. It would only make sense that they cut out the middle man and try to stream their own music and Tidal could be a platform for that and create downward competition against Spotify and Apple Music.

Here's a complete list that Paramount owns or made in partner with and transformers is in there which in theory sony can use another publisher not Microsoft own to make transformers there's alot of gaming opportunities like World War z not only that u can make kid games like rugrats , spongebob etc , open world games like tmnt , mission Impossible,

thanks I didn't need the list and not all of that Paramount actually owns the rights to.

I do think Sony needs to take another stab at becoming family friendly again. They've just dismissed that entire segment to Nintendo.

EDMIX

Okay, so 71 million users since 2014... that's not bad for your first 10 years.

Netflix had to build out the concept, but they also had no competition.

You don't need to "beat" Netflix, but Netflix certainly is a model to massively increase Sony's Market Cap in a way that they've been unable to do simply by being dominant in console gaming. Sony rolled Funimation into Crunchyroll. It's the clear leader in Anime in most parts of the world outside of Japan.

I don't know what would prevent them from doing a bundled streaming service, but again, not just streaming, you throw in PS+ in there too and then when you look at PC and you're already paying for Sony+ the question become more clear why not utilize Sony's PC Storefront that you're already paying for membership with. You have 100 people who are unpaid Crunchyroll users, the ability to convert them into paid customers rather than just farm their advertising is huge.

Sony is massive in the music world. It would only make sense that they cut out the middle man and try to stream their own music and Tidal could be a platform for that and create downward competition against Spotify and Apple Music.

You make solid points Mibu! Maybe Tidal is a solid and likely buy for Sony Music in the future, it seems Sony is going on a buying spree so I don't think your prediction is as far off as I first thought.

I don't know what would prevent them from doing a bundled streaming service, but again, not just streaming, you throw in PS+ in there too and then when you look at PC and you're already paying for Sony+

Now that would be absolutely wild! Packing in gaming, streaming with film and television and music would be a first.

You make solid points Mibu! Maybe Tidal is a solid and likely buy for Sony Music in the future, it seems Sony is going on a buying spree so I don't think your prediction is as far off as I first thought.

Not really a prediction, just a possibility.

Now that would be absolutely wild! Packing in gaming, streaming with film and television and music would be a first.

Not quite a first. That's basically what you have with Apple One.

Apple TV+
Apple Music
Apple Arcade

Fabieter

So the skydance deal isn't likely because shareholders weren't happy because they were about to fucked over but rumors are that paramount won't accept sonys offer either because that would take a year to get through.

So the skydance deal isn't likely because shareholders weren't happy because they were about to fucked over but rumors are that paramount won't accept sonys offer either because that would take a year to get through.

No one has even seen the Sony proposal because there isn't one yet. They wrote a letter, a lot more work has to be done.

It should be pretty easy to satisfy regulators around this. As Sony won't be the majority owner of CBS, Apollo certainly will be.

Disney purchase of fox took a long time, but if anything that created a roadmap for this purchase.

edit: more to it, if they rebuff the Sony offer the stock will tank and your next offer isn't going to be nearly as generous.

Last edited:

Fabieter

No one has even seen the Sony proposal because there isn't one yet. They wrote a letter, a lot more work has to be done.

It should be pretty easy to satisfy regulators around this. As Sony won't be the majority owner of CBS, Apollo certainly will be.

Disney purchase of fox took a long time, but if anything that created a roadmap for this purchase.

edit: more to it, if they rebuff the Sony offer the stock will tank and your next offer isn't going to be nearly as generous.

Thing is, they have to take the deal if investors push for it I think. It doesnt matter if it takes six month or years but I just read that it isn't likely that they take the deal.

Thing is, they have to take the deal if investors push for it I think. It doesnt matter if it takes six month or years but I just read that it isn't likely that they take the deal.

I believe the board has a fiduciary responsibility to take a look at the deal and that they also have a fiduciary responsibility to present it to shareholders for a vote. I think the problem here is that most shareholders don't have voting stock in this company, but even those who do have a responsibility to those that don't.

Bottom line they have to take a serious look at Sony's offer or there could be serious legal consequences.

Note: I'm not a lawyer, but this is my understanding.

Fabieter

I believe the board has a fiduciary responsibility to take a look at the deal and that they also have a fiduciary responsibility to present it to shareholders for a vote. I think the problem here is that most shareholders don't have voting stock in this company, but even those who do have a responsibility to those that don't.

Bottom line they have to take a serious look at Sony's offer or there could be serious legal consequences.

Note: I'm not a lawyer, but this is my understanding.

Yes the one with major voting shares wanted to take the skydance deal. But a major shareholders of non voting pressured her to not take it.

Yes the one with major voting shares wanted to take the skydance deal. But a major shareholders of non voting pressured her to not take it.

And that same pressure may cause them to take this deal with Sony.

If the offer from Sony is rejected their stock price will certainly drop as a result, devaluing the company.

If Redstone and co are unable to find a similar offer in short order they'll likely be sued and no one wants to buy a company in the midst of litigation.

My guess is this is the best offer they're going to get.

They'll run into regulatory hurdles with pretty much any interested buyers. Amazon already bought MGM. WB and Discovery just merged. Apple is already in the middle of antitrust lawsuits... Microsoft just dropped 70 billion dollars on a company and the ink isn't dry yet.

I doubt that argument will hold weight.

Theres' not a whole lot of companies who can throw 25+ billion at Paramount that don't have some kind of issues that would slow down the process. No matter who you're looking at, you're probably looking at 9+ months, so a year to year and a half for Sony isn't enough to tank this deal.

Fabieter

And that same pressure may cause them to take this deal with Sony.

If the offer from Sony is rejected their stock price will certainly drop as a result, devaluing the company.

If Redstone and co are unable to find a similar offer in short order they'll likely be sued and no one wants to buy a company in the midst of litigation.

My guess is this is the best offer they're going to get.

They'll run into regulatory hurdles with pretty much any interested buyers. Amazon already bought MGM. WB and Discovery just merged. Apple is already in the middle of antitrust lawsuits... Microsoft just dropped 70 billion dollars on a company and the ink isn't dry yet.

I doubt that argument will hold weight.

Theres' not a whole lot of companies who can throw 25+ billion at Paramount that don't have some kind of issues that would slow down the process. No matter who you're looking at, you're probably looking at 9+ months, so a year to year and a half for Sony isn't enough to tank this deal.

It's actually my understanding as well but they just have to sell it in the right way. I read somewhere that skydance might come back with another offer and that redstone will held off.

nial

Gold Member
Not quite a first. That's basically what you have with Apple One.

Apple TV+
Apple Music
Apple Arcade
Sony Group's corporate structure being so damn different to that of Apple makes this a kinda hard option, IMO. But yes, it would be interesting to see something like this.
That said, can they really integrate all of Paramount Global's business units like that if, say, they're going for a 50/50 joint venture with Apollo?

Fabieter

It'll be interesting to see if they can come up with that kind of money.

Maybe they just try to push a little bit more out of sony and apollo. But actually you are probably right. After the skydance thing fails, they have to come up with something worthwhile. But iam not a lawyer either.

They said in an article if everything fails they have plans to cut costs in the billions.

Sony Group's corporate structure being so damn different to that of Apple makes this a kinda hard option, IMO. But yes, it would be interesting to see something like this.
That said, can they really integrate all of Paramount Global's business units like that if, say, they're going for a 50/50 joint venture with Apollo?

Sony is going to be the majority shareholder and operator. They'll probably buy Apollo out after 5-10 years if the acquisition is successful and become sole owner with the exception of say CBS.

Sony can do whatever it wants with its IP, they've just historically lacked synergy which has changed a lot over the last 10 years or so.

yurinka

Is it true that Sony is in debt?

All big companies have debt, it's normal. Sony's finantials are in a great shape, nothing to worry about.

If the Paramount acquisition would end with Sony+Apollo gettin them, Sony will very likely pay $10B+ in cash and on top of this will get Paramount's debt (around $15B) and pay upfront minimum Paramount's short term debt (a few billions).

And will continue perfectly fine: Paramount makes $30B/year in revenue and $10B/year in gross profit.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Debt is normal.

I'm no accountant, but it's still generally true that lower debt and debt ratios better than having giant debt and crap asset/liability ratios. It gets more complicated than that pending what kinds of assets and liabilities you got too.

In general, if you look at a company's assets and see that crummy line called Goodwill, you dont want that being a big portion of your assets. It's basically a junk line. The best is cash.

Why would the Sony/Apollo offer take longer than any other offer?

First, they're one of the big movie theater studios, so this represents consolidation.
Second, Sony is a foreign company and Paramount owns American broadcast channels.

Not to say it would be blocked, as I don't think it would be, but it'll have to go through channels on both grounds.

Ultimately, Apollo will be the majority stakeholder for CBS and other broadcast channels. That should satisfy regulators. Sony buying Paramount is nothing compared to Disney buying Fox, but it did take a year and a half.

I just don't know who they think will buy them that doesn't have regulatory concerns, it's a big buy. Mark Cuban isn't going to buy them.

yurinka

Why would the Sony/Apollo offer take longer than any other offer?
Sony and Paramount are top players on the movies market. As I remember, with the acquisition Sony would become market leaader. Meaning, regulators would have to approve it, and that process takes time.

If instead of that Paramount would merge with a small player like Skydance (and not one of the top players in the business) pretty likely wouldn't need to go through this process, or would pass it way faster.

hahaha I know it's not a reliable source but I wanted to know how much truth there was in this, how much is Sony's debt really? All large companies have debt but when is debt considered too much?
It is considered too much when they can't pay it. Sony instead can pay it perfectly. Most of it is very long term and they even have banks, their debt isn't an issue at all.

In fact, if they acquire Paramount they will also get Paramount's debt ($15B).

Last edited:
Movie/TV industry is much larger than CONSOLE gaming and doesn't take nearly as long to get returns.

A game can take 5+ years to make. A movie? From concept to box office probably 12-18 months. TV shows 18-24 months.

If SIE returned to doing AA games, they could have games out sooner than 5 years. If they got smart and compartmentalized their AAA games into smaller parts/installments (think FF VII Remake series or Shining Force 3 style, or each installment being like a Miles Morales or Lost Legacy), they could have games getting made in less than 5 years.

Only a stagnant and complacent business looks at a problem in their pipeline and then just resolves that the only solution is to go do something completely different to supplement the instances of that problem. Sony Corp investing in buying Paramount isn't going to help solve the problem with AAA games taking 5-7 years to make or costing $300+ million dollars. It's not going to suddenly make up for increasingly anemic 1P gaming content from internal studios. It's not going to be accepted by most gamers as a reasonable substitute for pipeline issues regarding their games.

Buying Paramount puts Sony in a position to offer a Sony+ service that has Paramount+, Crunchyroll, and PlayStation+ which will put it in a long term position to leverage the console business to make gains in PC and Handheld market share.

No not really, because at the end of the day the one thing that would help them make gains in gaming is GAMES. And clearly, they are starting to spread SIE too thin in juggling between satisfying console enthusiasts and PC core enthusiasts, with policies creating unnecessary conflicts and dissent, and more with PC focus starting to come at the detriment of their console focus. They do not have the bandwidth to successfully juggle both. Even Microsoft, a company with a monopoly on PC OSes, with PC OEMs and several times larger than Sony in market size, has had to more or less let Xbox consoles die off in order to keep a presence on PC and expand into a multiplat 3P strategy to offset that trade, plus eying prospects of expanding into mobile.

It's very evident you can't have all three markets no matter who you are, Sony is no exception. And instead of solidifying what they're best at (console gaming, with SIE), they risk destabilizing it for a chase into the PC gaming market and a gamble of a push into TV & movies that seems almost as egregious as their GAAS push from a few years ago. Talk about not learning a proper lesson 🙄.

It's a great purchase and will have downstream effects across Sony.

We don't know this. No one knows this. And, it sounds eerily similar to the people who were saying MS buying ABK would have benefits to the Xbox console.

Well instead that seemed to just accelerate the death of Xbox as a traditional console :/

I've had the impression for awhile now that Sony's intent is to be the biggest entertainment company. Talking about selling their banking division and using that to fuel investments in entertainment. I mean, you look at all of their acquisitions, both completed and attempted, and it paints a pretty clear picture to me. They're not just throwing all their eggs into the game development basket and they don't see much opportunity in their other ventures outside of entertainment by comparison. I could be wrong, but it just feels like Sony has an eye in topping the likes of Disney and Comcast.

It's just a mess IMO. Why sell off something that is stable and brings in good money like the finance/banking segment? Makes no sense. I also just find it very disrespectful that they're telling SIE they have to "tighten their pockets" and cull spending despite PlayStation being their single-most important product & division, but give the fledging Sony Pictures $13 billion to play with and make an M&A.

What, Sony Corp wants MORE years where they have a single 1P game release like 2023? Or zero major 1P releases like 2024 looks to be? With the way this Helldivers 2 situation is playing out I wouldn't be surprised if some 3P studios become apprehensive to doing partnerships with SIE going forward, either. So then by the time Sony Corp wake up and realize that maybe it's time to seriously invest in SIE, guess what? There won't be that many partners left wanting to work with them or get bought through an M&A.

Netflix hit 100 million subscribers in 2017. Netflix launched streaming in 2007. It started blockbuster original content in 2013.

Paramount+ is at 71 million subscribers, it only launched in 2021.

The combination of tv and movie content between Sony and Paramount could make Paramount+ a massive streaming service and that's ignoring Crunchyroll.

Crunchyroll has 13 million paid subscribers. In 2022 Funimation had 120 registered users...

Sony has nearly 50 million subscribers to PlayStation+

Won't be surprised if they buy Tidal next.

With the way Sony seem to be be dismissing SIE and PlayStation, I wouldn't be surprised if they buy Tidal next, either.

I think people are missing both context and potential. Some of the most popular ip on streaming platforms is produced by SIE.

And they could keep doing that...without needing to buy Paramount.

Because Paramount don't have those IP...SIE do. They need a movie/tv production studio to help? Sony Pictures already exists.

Paramount do own a few gaming companies which they can shift into PlayStation. Would be great to see a new South Park game with PlayStation money behind it.

No offense but those studios suck ass. They haven't made much any good real gaming content. SIE could just grow one of their current studios to develop a South Park game borrowed on license and do way better than any of the Paramount dev studios.

If SIE returned to doing AA games, they could have games out sooner than 5 years. If they got smart and compartmentalized their AAA games into smaller parts/installments (think FF VII Remake series or Shining Force 3 style, or each installment being like a Miles Morales or Lost Legacy), they could have games getting made in less than 5 years.

Their problem isn't the quantity of games. The reality is there are already too many game releases across the industry. It's a very crowded market. Beyond silly to suggest that doing more AA games would somehow be a boon for them.

Only a stagnant and complacent business looks at a problem in their pipeline and then just resolves that the only solution is to go do something completely different to supplement the instances of that problem. Sony Corp investing in buying Paramount isn't going to help solve the problem with AAA games taking 5-7 years to make or costing $300+ million dollars. It's not going to suddenly make up for increasingly anemic 1P gaming content from internal studios. It's not going to be accepted by most gamers as a reasonable substitute for pipeline issues regarding their games.

Your mistake is by suggesting that buying Paramount is a solution to their problem with AAA games. Who said that? No one. Paramount solves a lot of things for Sony and does boost Sony first party, but no one said that reduces dev times. One thing it does do though is give them big IP that they can own and not pay massive licensing fees for.

No not really, because at the end of the day the one thing that would help them make gains in gaming is GAMES. And clearly, they are starting to spread SIE too thin in juggling between satisfying console enthusiasts and PC core enthusiasts, with policies creating unnecessary conflicts and dissent, and more with PC focus starting to come at the detriment of their console focus. They do not have the bandwidth to successfully juggle both. Even Microsoft, a company with a monopoly on PC OSes, with PC OEMs and several times larger than Sony in market size, has had to more or less let Xbox consoles die off in order to keep a presence on PC and expand into a multiplat 3P strategy to offset that trade, plus eying prospects of expanding into mobile.

This is a silly statement by someone who definitely doesn't work in the corporate world. Sony's PC ambitions are fueled by an expansion of their PC Strategy teams up to and including the purchase of Nixxes. This idea that this is a detriment to consoles is pure fanboy FUD.

It's very evident you can't have all three markets no matter who you are, Sony is no exception. And instead of solidifying what they're best at (console gaming, with SIE), they risk destabilizing it for a chase into the PC gaming market and a gamble of a push into TV & movies that seems almost as egregious as their GAAS push from a few years ago. Talk about not learning a proper lesson 🙄.

It's not evident at all. At a time where platforms scale, it's easier than ever to develop one game and have it on PC, console, and handheld.

They released to successful movies and one of the most successful tv shows of all time... Helldivers is one of their most successful games of all time. Talk about not paying attention...

We don't know this. No one knows this. And, it sounds eerily similar to the people who were saying MS buying ABK would have benefits to the Xbox console.

Well instead that seemed to just accelerate the death of Xbox as a traditional console :/

You're the same person that said PSVR2 on PC would be streaming. A lot of people on forums have bad analysis, that doesn't make all analysis bad.

It's just a mess IMO. Why sell off something that is stable and brings in good money like the finance/banking segment? Makes no sense. I also just find it very disrespectful that they're telling SIE they have to "tighten their pockets" and cull spending despite PlayStation being their single-most important product & division, but give the fledging Sony Pictures $13 billion to play with and make an M&A.

Finance/banking brings in good money, but it is not a growth sector nor does it have synergies with the rest of Sony. SIE is being told to tighten up not because they're not profitable but because they can be more profitable. That has nothing to do with SPE. SPE is not fledgling lol and Sony just spent nearly 4 billion on Bungie and hundreds of millions on other studios in the last few years.

And again Paramount helps all of Sony more than any game publisher would help all of Sony.

What, Sony Corp wants MORE years where they have a single 1P game release like 2023? Or zero major 1P releases like 2024 looks to be? With the way this Helldivers 2 situation is playing out I wouldn't be surprised if some 3P studios become apprehensive to doing partnerships with SIE going forward, either. So then by the time Sony Corp wake up and realize that maybe it's time to seriously invest in SIE, guess what? There won't be that many partners left wanting to work with them or get bought through an M&A.

Because of some whiny PC gamers? No, people in the business know that all companies require a 2nd login, so they're certainly not going to avoid working with sony because of an industry standard practice.

With the way Sony seem to be be dismissing SIE and PlayStation, I wouldn't be surprised if they buy Tidal next, either.

Tidal makes sense for them, but that doesn't mean SIE and PlayStation are dismissing... lol

Because Paramount don't have those IP...SIE do. They need a movie/tv production studio to help? Sony Pictures already exists.

His point was that having a home where these shows can stream makes a lot of sense rather than pitching them to different networks like Amazon, HBO, Peacock, Netflix.

Just as Disney removed their marvel shows from Netflix and put them on Disney+

If these shows can help grow Paramount+ AND be a consistent home for their shows, they can be more profitable rather than splitting the pot with the names above.

No offense but those studios suck ass. They haven't made much any good real gaming content. SIE could just grow one of their current studios to develop a South Park game borrowed on license and do way better than any of the Paramount dev studios.

Not sure of any internal development studios that Paramount owns, but their IP will do much better with Sony first party and Sony chosen 3rd party development studios working on their IP.

Their problem isn't the quantity of games. The reality is there are already too many game releases across the industry. It's a very crowded market. Beyond silly to suggest that doing more AA games would somehow be a boon for them.

There being more games releasing in the market doesn't mean much if a lot of them are getting ignored. Plus, this is specifically about SIE; 3P games that aren't on their platform do nothing for increasing their profits or giving them market leverage in the gaming space. Why would they care about there being lots of games released and use that as an excuse to not have more 1P output?

And if they could increase that 1P output with AA games, why would they not do so, if that leads to more revenue, more profits, and more market leverage through IP they own? Also SIE have been in this business for decades; they know how to "cut through the noise" and get their games noticed in a crowed market. They've been doing it since the PS1.

Your mistake is by suggesting that buying Paramount is a solution to their problem with AAA games. Who said that? No one. Paramount solves a lot of things for Sony and does boost Sony first party, but no one said that reduces dev times. One thing it does do though is give them big IP that they can own and not pay massive licensing fees for.

Well, if that's my mistake, your mistake is assuming that Sony purchasing Paramount benefits SIE 1P games content. There's no proof that would actually be the case. Yes we can assume in some ways it would be, like with SpongeBob for example. But with a lot of the other IP, I don't see that working. Because, if it were to work, I think we'd of already seen some of it with SIE/Sony Pictures crossover.

Like, where is the Breaking Bad game (yes I know AMC might co-own the rights but I'm sure they'd have no problem giving SIE the license for a AAA BB game)? Bad Boys game? Underworld game? And Underworld in particular would've made a GREAT spiritual follow-up to Bloodborne, hell they could've used the Bloodborne engine and game mechanics, changed a bit around, get Kate Beckinsale & other people involved and had an Underworld action/adventure AAA game. Not to mention, Kate & several others from the films have expressed interest in continuing the series; maybe as a game that would've made sense.

So you see, Sony Pictures already has a lot of IP that could've made for some cool SIE games, but it's never happened. And now you want me to think it's suddenly going to happen if Sony buys Paramount? That's ridiculous.

This is a silly statement by someone who definitely doesn't work in the corporate world. Sony's PC ambitions are fueled by an expansion of their PC Strategy teams up to and including the purchase of Nixxes. This idea that this is a detriment to consoles is pure fanboy FUD.

It's already been detrimental to their console focus.

-1P AAA games are taking longer not just because of budget increases but also incorporating part of the PC development into the pipeline. Naughty Dog have confirmed this in a way themselves. We've seen proof of this now with Wolverine from Insomniac. The main reason for TLOU2 Remastered was to justify a PC port of TLOU2, same for making TLOU Remake. A lot of the GAAS push was to justify more PC releases in a "less contentious" matter. Instead a good number of those games have been cancelled, also affecting 1P content for PS consoles.​
-Console version of games have seen bugs introduced around the time of PC versions being released, with cross-play features turned on. Ghosts of Tsushima saw this problem recently.​
-Scaling development for a range of PC spec configurations in addition to growing console targets (PS5, PS5 Pro) means less time and resources for per-spec optimizations, even with the staggered release window.​

So no, it's not "fanboy FUD" (considering I've been critical of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo a lot I fail to see how I'm a fanboy of any of them at this point). It's reality.

It's not evident at all. At a time where platforms scale, it's easier than ever to develop one game and have it on PC, console, and handheld.

Then I guess issues like Baldur's Gate 3 dropping local co-op for Series S, Starfield dropping 60 FPS at launch on console because of Series S, Star Wars: Jedi Survivor's rampant problems on PC at launch etc. shouldn't be happening.

Yet, they are :/

They released to successful movies and one of the most successful tv shows of all time... Helldivers is one of their most successful games of all time. Talk about not paying attention...

And at the same time, they may've damn likely botched their one big GAAS hit/potential future "COD killer" on PC/Steam, they cancelled their Twisted Metal game when it should've released to coincide with the TV show premier (or shortly after the season was finishing up), they STILL haven't done something as common-sense as a F2P port of MLB to mobile with fantasy league features...

..there is NO telling if TLOU Season 2 will be a hit especially if they stick to the game's story & kill Joel off early on, there's still been no mention of when or even if Uncharted will be returning in game form...so on and so forth.

You're the same person that said PSVR2 on PC would be streaming. A lot of people on forums have bad analysis, that doesn't make all analysis bad.

I said that because it would make sense for SIE to do that for console owners of PSVR2. It adds value to the product for them, especially if they feel there won't be as many ports to the device as there were in the past, or should be going forward (due to slow sales).

Finance/banking brings in good money, but it is not a growth sector nor does it have synergies with the rest of Sony. SIE is being told to tighten up not because they're not profitable but because they can be more profitable. That has nothing to do with SPE. SPE is not fledgling lol and Sony just spent nearly 4 billion on Bungie and hundreds of millions on other studios in the last few years.

Sony Pictures has had more misses than hits over the past few years, and that's a fact. SIE buying Bungie ($3.6 billion, not $4 billion, and $1.2 billion of that $3.6 billion was for bonuses to be paid out over time so upfront cost was just $2.4 billion) shouldn't bar them from making similar investments for other areas of gaming when the Bungie deal was specifically for GAAS content.

Sony Corp wanting to sell the finance/banking sector is indicative of bad judgement; you don't need to throw out EVERYTHING that might otherwise be stable and bring in a great flow of income just because it doesn't have immediate synergies with other parts of your company. Arguably speaking, Microsoft used that position themselves with the direction they felt to take Xbox in over the past decade and it could be said that is actually what helped contribute to Xbox's demise as a console brand. Instead of letting the gaming people like J. Allard or Seamus Blackley or Peter Moore do what they did best, in their own space with no larger corporate interference for "synergies", Microsoft wanted to bring Xbox right in line with the rest of the corporate structure.

That has clearly had mostly negative effects for Xbox as a console, and we're here cheering for Sony Corp to do the same to SIE/PlayStation just because they want to push a company-wide transmedia "synergies" strategy? Can you not see the same potential road bumps and pitfalls at play here, or are we blinded by this false idea that "Sony don't miss"?

And again Paramount helps all of Sony more than any game publisher would help all of Sony.

No; Paramount mainly helps Sony Pictures, and does little for SIE. And we can say this with confidence because Sony Pictures hasn't done much for SIE vs. what it COULD have been doing for SIE with more cooperate and creatively-driven minds of leadership at Sony Pictures and SIE.

A games publisher would benefit SIE much more, and this idea that all M&As have to serve all or as many parts of the company at once as possible, is a "jack of all trades, master of none" approach in effect. Sometimes (nay, likely often), targeted M&As for specific purposes produce better results. Then you can synergize those M&As into a larger operation.

Because of some whiny PC gamers? No, people in the business know that all companies require a 2nd login, so they're certainly not going to avoid working with sony because of an industry standard practice.

No. Because if SIE are willing to let a dispute between themselves and a 3P dev spill out publicly this way, that may make other 3P devs wonder if they could be put in a similar situation where they have to face public backlash or scrutiny over a decision potentially out of their control. These devs have reputations they want to uphold, and the less negativity the better.

Whether it's Arrowhead or SIE who are ultimately at fault with this HB2 fiasco (or Microsoft; people seem to have forgotten that Arrowhead are using Azure servers here), the fact is as the platform holder & publisher, SIE could've handled the situation better. That's expected of a company in their position.

Tidal makes sense for them, but that doesn't mean SIE and PlayStation are dismissing... lol

It does if it leads to no significant investments for SIE & PlayStation to a similar degree. And again, going "But Bungie!" doesn't work when that was for a very specific type of game and doesn't account for other areas of game investment SIE would benefit significantly from.

His point was that having a home where these shows can stream makes a lot of sense rather than pitching them to different networks like Amazon, HBO, Peacock, Netflix.

Which is absolutely stupid, because the streaming market is already contracting due to too many competing subscription services! So you're saying that Sony should pitch their own streaming service to the market, possibly losing billions and billions every year as they struggle to grow the install base to an acceptable level...and you somehow think that wouldn't negatively impact SIE along the way?

The current strategy of licensing out content to other services is precisely why Sony Pictures don't have the problems of Paramount, or WB Discovery, or HBO Max etc. Let those companies burn through billions and billions while Sony Pictures collects money off licensing the content. It'd also be very stupid (but funny) of them to try leveraging Paramount for their own subscription service when they already own two anime streaming services, and already seem to have issues with the investments required for PlayStation as a hardware platform. But somehow the R&D, marketing costs etc. for a streaming subscription service would be worth it and no fuss?

Nah, I don't buy it.

EDIT: I guess you are suggesting that Sony would just leverage Paramount+...well that would save them some money and time on building their own streaming service, but it still would be an uphill battle IMO.

For starters there's no telling if Paramount+ is particularly profitable right now. Logic would suggest if it were, or if the prognosis seemed very well, they wouldn't be in a position of needing to sell. Maybe they did have favorable projections for subscriber & revenue growth of the service, but them as-is couldn't sustain a way to hit those projections, therein selling to a company like Sony works out better for them?

Just as Disney removed their marvel shows from Netflix and put them on Disney+

And how much money did Disney lose over the years with that stunt before finally starting to break even on their sub service? Better question: how exactly are Disney's financials looking these days?

Last I saw, not great. Lord knows what debts they're working through between that and buying Fox.

If these shows can help grow Paramount+ AND be a consistent home for their shows, they can be more profitable rather than splitting the pot with the names above.

Okay, sure. But that's a big "IF" being asked, and any costs needed on Sony's end to make it so would be on top of whatever's being paid to acquire Paramount.

Not sure of any internal development studios that Paramount owns, but their IP will do much better with Sony first party and Sony chosen 3rd party development studios working on their IP.

Again, you're assuming benefits for SIE in this which are a complete unknown and, going by the lack of relative synergy between Sony Pictures and SIE the past couple of decades (in terms of Sony Pictures IP getting games made by SIE where it would've made perfect sense, i.e the Underworld game built off the back & tech of Bloodborne I suggested way earlier)...

...why have this faith that there's suddenly be strong synergy between Paramount IP and SIE for gaming content? There's zero precedent to suggest that would happen.

Pelta88

The amount of IP SIE has on streaming networks is vast, but mostly unrecognised as SIE produced, so to make a point I’ll focus on two. ‘The Boys’ and ‘TLOU’

Those ip, by both Amazon and HBO’s own reporting, are generating insane levels of revenue and advertising profit. Sure SIE gets a substantial cut but the lions share goes to the streaming/cable platform. Check the financial trajectory of Disney once they launched Disney+ and held their ip to their own platform…

The potential is too great to ignore. Even with Para’s debt factored in.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Or zero major 1P releases like 2024 looks to be?
As if this didn't happen in...
*checks notes*
2000, 2002-2003, 2005-2008, 2012, 2014-2015, 2019 and 2021.
Heck, some years are exceptions only due to new Gran Turismo releases, The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn were not major 1P franchises in 2013 and 2017 respectively.

Last edited:
The amount of IP SIE has on streaming networks is vast, but mostly unrecognised as SIE produced, so to make a point I’ll focus on two. ‘The Boys’ and ‘TLOU’

Those ip, by both Amazon and HBO’s own reporting, are generating insane levels of revenue and advertising profit. Sure SIE gets a substantial cut but the lions share goes to the streaming/cable platform. Check the financial trajectory of Disney once they launched Disney+ and held their ip to their own platform…

The potential is too great to ignore. Even with Para’s debt factored in.

OK sure, I'm willing to accept this. But again, I just have to keep asking: how does Paramount benefit gaming for PlayStation the way Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami was trying to insinuate?

Because I have little confidence it does, going by how underutilized Sony Pictures IP by SIE for games has been over the past years.

As if this didn't happen in...
*checks notes*
2000, 2002-2003, 2005-2008, 2012, 2014-2015, 2019 and 2021.
Heck, some years are exceptions only due to new Gran Turismo releases, The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn were not major 1P franchises in 2013 and 2017 respectively.

2000: Transition year from PS1 to PS2, so acceptable. Also kinda wrong because Wild ARMS 2 released that year (I'd consider that a major game for the time)

2002: Co-published Kingdom Hearts in Europe with Square-Enix. Also Rachet & Clank and Sly Cooper were 2002 (at least as major as Jak & Daxter). Also published Tekken 4 & VF4 in Europe.

2003: Dark Chronicle, EverQuest, Jak 2, R&C: Going Commando

2005-2008: God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Wild ARMS 4, Gran Turismo 4, God of War II, Rogue Galaxy, Tourist Trophy

2012: OK you got that one

2014-2015: InFamous Second Son, Bloodborne, Driveclub, Destiny (Japan only)

2019: Days Gone

2021: Rift Apart, Returnal

Maybe your definition of "major games" differs from mine but I don't only include the cinematic 1P titles or the most popular IP (TLOU, Uncharted, Spiderman etc.) as major SIE titles. Never have.

Top Bottom