• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony president Hiroki Totoki officially begins his role as interim CEO of PlayStation

Draugoth

Gold Member
hiroki-totoki-1024x576.jpg

Ryan has now officially left the company, with Totoki stepping in to oversee the PlayStation division (while keeping his current role at Sony Group) while a more permament successor to Ryan is found.

Although his interim CEO role officially starts today, Totoki had already started visiting studios in recent months and has already made his views on Sony’s gaming strategy clear.

via VGC

Hopefully he will not be there for long
Well something needs fixing drastically at most of PS studios barring Insomniac and Guerrilla. Decisions made earlier in the generation have basically crippled most of the studios through mismanagement and cancellations.

No major IP release from now until April 25 is unbelievable.

onQ123

Well something needs fixing drastically at most of PS studios barring Insomniac and Guerrilla. Decisions made earlier in the generation have basically crippled most of the studios through mismanagement and cancellations.

Probably because GTAVI is coming PS5 is doing just fine & will easily coast through the next year until GTAVI arrives

DrFigs

this is pretty silly. ps5 is selling extremely well. and they published 2 exclusives already this year - one of them, helldivers 2, being the best selling game so far this year (?). stellar blade is coming as well pretty soon. yeah there's some misses. but the hyperbole about playstation's downfall is unbearable. the narrative about no major ip releases doesn't make sense considering that they have had major exclusives in the first 3 months of this year.

Last edited:
this is pretty silly. ps5 is selling extremely well. and they published 2 exclusives already this year - one of them, helldivers 2, being the best selling game so far this year (?). stellar blade is coming as well pretty soon. yeah there's some misses. but the hyperbole about playstation's downfall is unbearable.
No, that's not what I'm saying. Surely any gamer feels letdown by PS first-party this generation, the biggest being the massive failure with Naughty Dog? Of course they will sell hardware but things need to be run better IMO, maybe this guy will do that?

DrFigs

No, that's not what I'm saying. Surely any gamer feels letdown by PS first-party this generation, the biggest being the massive failure with Naughty Dog? Of course they will sell hardware but things need to be run better IMO, maybe this guy will do that?
i'm saying playstation has had major exclusives this year, including games they financed and published. it doesn't really matter to me that they're not first party.

People really need to get this out of their heads. It's not going to happen, and there's more than one good reason for it.

There are reasons but none of them are good.

They are relying on Asian partners to make up for the huge void in their first party lineup while studios like MM, Haven or Bungie are nothing but liabilities.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Hope he revitalizes PS japanese game development, it's a shame most of my friends that were kinda out of gaming but still watched a lot of anime remember Sony for what it was, finding a deep empty hole where prior there was an otaku dream machine.

ProtoByte

There are reasons but none of them are good.

They are relying on Asian partners to make up for the huge void in their first party lineup while studios like MM, Haven or Bungie are nothing but liabilities.
Haven's not proven itself to be a liability or a benefit at this time, and frankly, neither has Bungie. Destiny 2 is an old game that was eventually going to run into problems, and all of this corporate politicking and journalist crusading will be moot depending on what they do going forward.

Media Molecule is on their last chance to do something and do something significant. They are also British. I know the rule is to lump every country in the west as one entity, but PlayStation has largely pulled dev capital out of Britain for similar reasons to why they pulled out of Japan.

As for relying on Asian partners, i will point out that one of them is not Japanese as was made the subject by what I quoted. And so what? That's what these third party deals are for, irrespective of where the games come from.

Going into the specifics makes things look much less impressive for something to be "relied upon". FF7 Rebirth is a critical success, but sales for this FF7 project have been so mild as to cause meltdowns on the internet. Plus, people can't decide if they love or hate Square Enix depending on the day.

Rise of The Ronin doesn't even have the critical clout, and if you told me it would sell more than 4-5 million lifetime across all platforms, I'd be surprised.

We'll see how Stellar Blade does, but I would be surprised if it really boosts the sales profile. I'm supportive of the unapologetic attitude of the devs in its character design, but that seems to be the biggest thing it has going for it.

And don't forget Helldivers 2, which blows the success of any of their Asian partner titles thus far out of the water. Being on PC dilutes the benefit, I get it, but still.

ByWatterson

I'm actually very hopeful that this means Sony will be a leader in reducing currently unsustainable development costs. The industry has to change in some fundamental ways - why not have the market leader help figure it out?

There's always a tension between bean counters and creatives. The issue with much of publishing executives today - in an era of free money and starry-eyed VCs - is that they're neither.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Mr Profit Margin starts today. First order of business is to jack up the gaming division margins from 6% the past two years back to 13% like the previous four.

Sales at PS have doubled past bunch of years but the profits are the same $2M like before COVID.

So something at Sony is draining their profits. And it’s not bungie acquisition costs because they don’t buy them until 2022.

Last edited:
Really they just need to figure out their first party release cadence. 2022 there was too much. 2023 only spiderman 2 and 2024 is looking empty.

We need someone that’s involved in game development being CEOs of gaming companies

Having accountants run operations is generally a disaster - see Boeing

A temporary CEO like this is good because he destroys restructures PS Studios and leaves no dead weights for the next one, who should be somebody involved in games, a profile like Yoshida, not a trend-chaser suit who only plays Microsoft Office.

this is pretty silly. ps5 is selling extremely well. and they published 2 exclusives already this year - one of them, helldivers 2, being the best selling game so far this year (?). stellar blade is coming as well pretty soon. yeah there's some misses. but the hyperbole about playstation's downfall is unbearable. the narrative about no major ip releases doesn't make sense considering that they have had major exclusives in the first 3 months of this year.

That and Sony never said "no major exclusives". They said "no major new releases in established big IP". So no sequels to stuff like Spiderman, God of War, Horizon, Uncharted etc. basically.

They could have a new 1P AAA (and hopefully AA) major release this year that is a new IP, which would be refreshing. Preferably non-GAAS, b/c GAAS-wise they're already covered with Helldivers 2 and Concord.

Anyway, I don't have any particular opinions on Totoki, I don't know a lot about them. However, given where things are currently, I do know what I'd like to see, and what would be best for PlayStation going forward. I'll just boil it down to some snippets because I've talked about this in great length already in much more detail.

-Scale back PC ports to mainly only GAAS for the time being (& still keep a couple of those exclusive to PS consoles)​
-Shore up 1P AAA and AA genuine exclusives for the console (no PC ports, no mobile ports)​
-Maybe start porting some 1P AAA and AA to PC & mobile starting late 2027​
-Going forward, try making sure total number of 1P ports to PC, mobile and maybe even other consoles never goes over the following for any amount total output of a 4-year period:​
[GAAS]
PC: 65%, MOBILE: 50%, NINTENDO: 40%, XBOX*: 40%​
[1P AAA]
PC: 20%, MOBILE: 10%, NINTENDO: 10%, XBOX*: 10%​
[1P AA]
PC: 20%, MOBILE: 40%, NINTENDO: 25%, XBOX*: 15%​
*Assumes Xbox continues to exist as a traditional console and doesn't become a PC gaming hardware device line
-Find a way to compartmentalize some 1P AAA games so they can be released in "installments" or "parts" (a la FF VII Remake trilogy) every 2 years or so at a fair price per part (i.e $30 - $40)​
-Work more with 3P for exclusives in legacy 1P IP (mainly as AA, maybe some AAA) and 3P IP strongly associated with the brand (i.e Parasite Eve, Bloody Roar, Deception, Ridge Racer etc.).​
-This way, 3P exclusives are more manageable and add more overall to the console while giving 3P more flexibility with the titles they could otherwise just make themselves. Any 3P co-developed games with SIE IP should have exclusivity treated like with the terms mentioned above. Those with 3P IP should ideally try to be exclusively for the console at least 1-2 years if smaller AA games, or 6 months - 1 year for larger AAA games.​
-Invest in more 3P studios and publishers (share purchases, upfront investments, publishing deals, M&As). At least buy stock in the big 3P publishers (Capcom, SEGA/Atlus, EA, Take Two, CDPR, etc.)​
-Please don't abandon VR; improve it and make it scalable for cheaper production and for MR in the PS6​

If SIE take those steps, they'll be set.

Last edited:
Top Bottom