• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuneScape |OT|

t-ramp

ibkGPKF9q5tnEX.png

RuneScape 3 Now Live! - 22 July 2013
RuneScape 3 is here! A new age dawns today, kicking off with the Battle of Lumbridge. Along with the hugely customisable New Interface System, the chance for fame in Seasonal Hiscores, over 6 hours of new live performed music and a range of technical improvements, it's time to play RuneScape your way.

Play Now:
Chat With Fellow GAFfers!
Join my friends chat (Declarius) in-game for a gaf chatroom.

If you're new to the game/interface click the third tab in the chat box from the left (two green people), click the "+" icon on the top right of the chat box, then join the room Declarius.
Genre: Fantasy MMORPG
Developer: Jagex Games Studio
Platform: Windows, Mac, & Linux (browser-based, Java/HTML5)

Subscription Model:
Launch Date:
  • RuneScape Classic: January 2001
  • RuneScape 2: March 2004
  • RuneScape HD: July 2008
  • Old School RuneScape: February 2013
  • RuneScape 3: July 2013
Resources:
More to come...

jwk94

This makes me feel so old. I remember playing the RS2 beta. Good times swimming in the "water" in Falador.

Meelow

Banned
I created my RS account back in 2004, and I'm only still level 67.

I don't play much these days of it but it was a great game back in the day.

t-ramp

Just thought I'd make this for general discussion or reminiscing. This game was a lot more fun back in the day, but I'm finally trying to get a 99 in Woodcutting to justify countless wasted hours, and then I'll probably quit. Good memories, though.

TheOGB

Banned
they keep sending emails about me trying to sell my account

I haven't touched that shit since I made it in like 2004

t-ramp

Oh, god. I never ever want to play Runescape... Are they making another one?
Not that I know of.

They just brought back a separate 2007 version of the game, actually, but I'm sure as hell not going to start over just to relive those days.

DogWelder

Yeee, I remember playing this back in middle school, flipping choas and nature runes for insane prices; getting rich. Used to have multiple party hats at one point, probably still have them as long as they don't/didn't actively purge accounts.

Yawnier

Banned
I put so many hours into this game in middle school. I have many good memories of PKing in the Wilderness and Castle Wars. I think my main account got to like, level 80 perhaps?

It's too bad that Jagex drove away thousands of players including myself and many of my friends after they removed the Wilderness and added the Grand Exchange in late 2007.

I remember the first day I played it, some gnome/dwarf guy came up to me and started talking. I didn't respond so it told me it hated me and started chucking rocks at my face. I tried to run away and it chased me, still maintaining the rock to face ratio. No one helped me, they were either stabbin' goblins or choppin' down trees. I couldn't outrun the little fucker so I died.

t-ramp

Yeee, I remember playing this back in middle school, flipping choas and nature runes for insane prices; getting rich. Used to have multiple party hats at one point, probably still have them as long as they don't/didn't actively purge accounts.
I don't think they purge accounts. Some of those party hats are insanely expensive. I think they're rare enough that some are worth more than what the game actually supports. No clue how that works out.

You should see if you can get on.

I loved it, BEFORE THE STUPID FIRST GE

Economy got fucked on that no trading unfair rule when it was lifted
They actually reverted on that somewhat a couple years ago. At that point the damage had been done, but the ridiculous trading rules have been lifted. I think they managed to all but erase the bot presence that nearly ruined the game, so it's worked out okay.

I worked on this game for a few years.

I'm genuinely
pleasantly?
surprised this isn't a joke thread.
Eh, RuneScape deserves a lot of the crap it takes, but I figure it is (was?) popular enough to warrant a proper thread.

Meelow

Banned
I loved it, BEFORE THE STUPID FIRST GE

Economy got fucked on that no trading unfair rule when it was lifted

They really only made the trading harder because so much did that trick to get people to give them free items, sucked though after it, trading was pretty much useless since you would have to give the person something = as good even if the person said "take it for free"

And it would take a while for the item to appear if the person dropped it.

Izick

Not to be a hardass, but I never got this.

Every single friend, hell ever single male kid in my school absolutely loved this game. It's all everyone played in the computer labs for years. I just never liked it. I was more into console games, especially console (W)RPG's, which is kind of funny. I guess when I played stuff like KOTOR, I couldn't go back to something like this. It felt like small potatoes.

With that said, I know probably about half a dozen people, in their early twenties who still play this. Maybe not a regular basis, but they actually have accounts and give it a roll every once in a while. It's crazy to me.

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't think they purge accounts. Some of those party hats are insanely expensive. I think they're rare enough that some are worth more than what the game actually supports. No clue how that works out.

They actually reverted on that somewhat a couple years ago. At that point the damage had been done, but the ridiculous trading rules have been lifted. I think they managed to all but erase the bot presence that nearly ruined the game, so it's worked out okay.

Eh, RuneScape deserves a lot of the crap it takes, but I figure it is (was?) popular enough to warrant a proper thread.

I got a phat on the free trade
Gave it away figuring i was quitting for a few years again

Which i did but..HOLY SHIT SO MUCH REGRET

injurai

Banned

Every single friend, hell ever single male kid in my school absolutely loved this game. It's all everyone played in the computer labs for years. I just never liked it. I was more into console games, especially console (W)RPG's, which is kind of funny. I guess when I played stuff like KOTOR, I couldn't go back to something like this. It felt like small potatoes.

With that said, I know probably about half a dozen people, in their early twenties who still play this. Maybe not a regular basis, but they actually have accounts and give it a roll every once in a while. It's crazy to me.

Because it was a free, social, online game...

anyone with a computer could play it and it let people fullfill and play out awesome adventures.

Yawnier

Banned

I think there a few reasons why this game was so crazy and popular at one point, I can't speak for it now but:

1. Free to Play - No entry free, although you could pay to be a member if you wanted to.
2. It never really took a top of the line gaming PC to run this game, any regular computer would be able to run this game. Basically, easy accessibility.
3. Sort of simple, but addicting gameplay. I used to countdown the hours in school so I could go home and play Runescape for the whole evening.
4. If you had friends to play this game with, that was only an added bonus to go online and play this game with them.

Oh man... RuneScape...

Used to have a members account back when it was still 2D portraits with 3D background...

Got the Cape of Legends. Felt good, man.

Full 3D came and it held me for a little while until I discovered something better (Counter Strike
: Source
), lol.

DogWelder

I played a long ass time ago, I don't think I'd remember the username. Though I do remember hanging out beside the palace in the main city (Varrock, was it?) and doing jack all with the rest of the useless aristocrats. Bought like five Halloween masks when they came out as an investment, but never really got back into it after they released 2.0.

t-ramp

3. Sort of simple, but addicting gameplay. I used to countdown the hours in school so I could go home and play Runescape for the whole evening.
4. If you had friends to play this game with, that was only an added bonus to go online and play this game with them.
Mostly these two. Playing with and making new friends was cool, and somehow this simple game was incredibly addicting.

Jeez. I haven't played Runescape in a looong time. The memories that I had with it, I wonder how it all changed. As my lvl 93 character sits there for years doing nothing. XD

Nebula

they keep sending emails about me trying to sell my account

I haven't touched that shit since I made it in like 2004

Those are scammers trying to get your information. Jagex never email you about your account, they use an inbox on the RuneScape website.

Also a RuneScape OT. Damn. I was level 126 when I quit. Just before EoC was released. Didn't like it on the beta and I'm disappointed that Jagex went with it, making it generic MMO #1001. 2007scape looks pretty neat though.

Darryl

Banned
i've been wanting to try out the 2007scape but it just seems like such a cash-grab with their voting model that i'm having a hard time making up my mind :/

Roubjon

Jeez, I remember playing this all the time and was really the only MMO I ever got into. I still know my account name and everything. It's fun to log on every couple of years or so and show of my phat ass yo-yo I got during some Christmas event.

liftedly

Pleasantly surprised to see a RuneScape thread here ;)

I've been playing this game on and off since 2004, and I'm actively playing at the moment since a year or two.

It's still a big grindfest, and I mainly play it for the social part, but there have been a lot of improvements to the game over the last few years. RuneScape will see a big engine update this year, using HTML5. It should eventually become available for tablets as well.

I can't think of another MMORPG of this scale that recieves weekly content updates (!), and where the GM's interact with the players in the way they do in RS. Every player has the ability to create his own private chatroom, including the GM's (Jagex Moderators). The community management staff makes great use of it, you can almost always find an employee to answer your question.

The game does have quite a few flaws as well... real world trading and botting are the most noticeable ones. Both of them are being worked on though, also with help of the community.

Bottom line is, don't dismiss the game because you have a bad memory of it when it was only a fraction of what it is now.

Sajjaja

Yep. I'm remembering my 12 year old self as a boss Pker :)

You assholes :mad:
I remember going into the wilderness for the very first time because I wanted to fight some dragons for the first time, wearing my full addy plate armor, I walk in for 2 minutes and BAM 4 guys jumped me and I was so scared to lose my stuff I alt+F4ed...... that was when I learned the hard way that my god couldn't save me now :( I lost it all....and I quit the game....

Spongebob

Banned
I remember when this game used to be good...then Jagex had to ruin it.

Used to play this game a lot in elementary school.

Top Bottom