• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Running Old Games in Vmware and Virtual Box

Krathoon

Anyone have a heck of a time trying to old games to work in Vmware and Virtual Box? For some reason, for the life of me, I can't get it to stretch the game in fullscreen. The fullscreen is always tiny because the VM does not change the monitor's resolution. There is supposed to be a stretch option when you install the tools, but it does not show up in my VMs with Window XP.

ManaByte

Why not use DOS Box for DOS games or the compatibility options in Win10 for older Windows programs?

I've been able to mount a virtual CDROM in Windows 10 and install Star Trek TNG: A Final Unity from an ISO and play the game in DOS Box.

Krathoon

Some games need an older version of Windows to run. I have not had much luck with the compatibility options on Windows 10.

I agree DOSBox works great for DOS games. I usually always can get a DOS game to run right.

Also, some old Windows games have DRM that can mess up Windows 10. I had that happen to me with Tatio Legends. I had to reinstall Windows 10 to fix it.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I can set the VM window resolution to whatever I want, but, when I run an old game with a small resolution that I can't change, the game does not stretch to fit the VM window or fullscreen.

When Win XP was running on an old PC, what it would do is change the monitors resolution. The VM does not let you do that.

Last edited:

Krathoon

If I could get the game to stretch to fullscreen when I run the VM in fullscreen, it would be great. It would also have to keep aspect ratio.

Krathoon

I suppose you would have to change the desktop resolution to match the game's resolution.
Yes. That is one way to fix it. The problem is that 640x480 is not supported that well by Nvidia.

Also, this game I am trying to get to work, Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe, is not playing it's video clips correctly. It is supposed to play them fullscreen, but it opens a window every time it plays one. Also, you will lose control of the mouse sometimes.

I am not certain if this is the game's fault, Windows, or Vmware.

zcaa0g

Banned
Might have better luck with PCem for old Win9x era games, but DOS Box is still most optimal for DOS games .

Top Bottom