• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Teslerum

One thing I don’t get - why does Russia have so many nukes? Once you get past 50 is there any point y to having more? They have 6000+
Nuke arms race. They were built just so numbers could go up on either side. Wasn't really about any advantage at the time.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but holy shit. These people are lucky to be alive. Trapped in the car taking a hail of bullets.

Man that was crazy.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
One thing I don’t get - why does Russia have so many nukes? Once you get past 50 is there any point y to having more? They have 6000+
Technological advancement continues through the development of the technology. We have neutron bimbs because we continued nuclear development.

It probably got to a point where the US and Russia started making more nukes just so they could say they had more than their adversary.

We have enough nuclear weapons to destroy every city on earth and still have 1500 in reserve.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
It probably got to a point where the US and Russia started making more nukes just so they could say they had more than their adversary.

It was an arms race in the 80s. The US knew they could out-spend Russia and eventually win just in terms of money spent. The end result was the fall of the USSR.

You being serious? You can see a bullet hit the door. You telling me they paid people to shoot live rounds at their car?

Are you wearing a tinfoil hat?
Yes, I'm serious. He's a known faker presenting a video with multiple cuts in a place where dudes with weapons are easy to find. You don't see any damage to their vests or any wound. Those are civilian vests that do not work against that ammunition type.
You really believe that a news crew survived being shot at by snipers?
The fact that Sky still works with this cunt after multiple elaborate fakes is astounding. Of all the materials coming out of the warzone, this is probably the top one that should be thrown right into the trash.

Ukrainians killed their own guy from the 1st negotiations with Russia. Insanity.

dPocpdf.jpg

It seems he was a spy and resisted arrest. If this was USA I bet the same could happen.

LimanimaPT

The US have 5000, makes them any different? At the end of the day everybody is the same. All countries should ditch all this nuke weapons, but hey, this is just manking being manking, what can be done?

Suuure. A dangerous spy. Then it's ok.
what do you call someone who provides intel to your enemy?

How many he may have indirectly/directly killed in this war for being a spy?

What is the punishment for someone who does this in times of war in your country?

I am from Costa Rica, we do not even have an army, but I can understand he going down due to this after trying to escape. So please answer the questions.

Gp1

The US has been owly transforming into an Oligarchy in the Russian model. We now have 400 of so people who control about half the wealth in this country. Those are oligarchs.

A great part of the so called Russian oligarchy is composed of Putin's Front men/aliases. That's why some analysts considers him the richest man in the world. Yet, no one can prove it

And that's why the sanctions are always against the so called oligarchy. The West by doing this is trying to lock some of Putin's (and his closest inner circle) own personal wealth.

I don't believe that's the case in there, right?

If the background profiles about Putin and his inner circle:

Sergej Sjogjo,
Valerij Gerasimov,
Nicolai Patrusjev,
Aleksandr Bortnikov,
Sergej Narysjkin,
Sergej Lavrov,
Valentina Matvijenko,
Viktor Zolotov,
and Anton Vaino

... are to be believed, they're mostly former KGB (and its successor, the FSB) and/or from the USSR generation. The values of USSR are heavily engrained into their cultural perception. It shook Putin to the core when the USSR got broken up. If anything, they're probably just itching for the west to get dragged into this.

(...)

Also what part of.

did you not grasp? Despite me thinking that the nuclear threat is pretty small if any counter engagement is kept to removing the invading forces from Ukraine and that Russia could not persuade anybody to join them I do not have anywhere near enough information to make any kind of informed judgement on that. Like I said though if NATO change their minds and do decide to implement a no fly zone or to put boots on the ground (less likely) then I won't be that concerned because it would have been agreed on by people who do have the information to make that call with more accuracy and they seem to have made pretty good calls so far.

Oh, I got that part alright. Just the hint of that someone even slightly considers that a viable option at this moment puts me at unease.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
what do you call someone who provides intel to your enemy?

How many he may have indirectly/directly killed in this war for being a spy?

What is the punishment for someone who does this in times of war in your country?

I am from Costa Rica, we do not even have an army, but I can understand he going down due to this after trying to escape. So please answer the questions.
It's called unlawful execution. Simple as that. At this point you guys will defend anything and ignore everything. Nice.

Your desperate attempts at finding any dirt you can on Ukraine is getting amusing.

Desperate attempts? Did ANY of the information I posted here was fake? You call killing him on a spot "dirt"? OK.

How many times you already announced quitting this thread?

Once. When I had hopes that this whole hysteria would end fast enough. So far I see things going from bad to worse and this very thread is going absolutely off the rails with blind hate/lack of critical thinking regarding Ukrainian actions.

Bojji

You mean those soldiers that kills innocent, rape women, attack refugees and bomb civilian buildings? THESE russian soldiers?

I (mostly) don't give a shit about them dying too.

But all of this is so... unnecessary, most of them are there only because they were in Russian army at this point in time, not because they actually wanted to fight in war with Ukraine. But this can be said about most wars in history...

It's called unlawful execution. Simple as that. At this point you guys will defend anything and ignore everything. Nice.

...and what does it have to do anything with my questions? You did not try even to answer them...

All I said was that the guy was a spy and tried to escape, never said it was fair or unfair, but expected due to the situation.

Defend anything?

I am against all this war for the good of both sides, Putin sending children and his citizens to die in his stupid war is unfair for everyone, but more on the Ukraina side, since all his excuses are bullshit.

Fools idol

Banned
I think it's probably a matter of days before this escalates to full blown war. Putin isn't backing down and the west seems set on riling him up.

Was nice knowing you all :/

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I think it's probably a matter of days before this escalates to full blown war. Putin isn't backing down and the west seems set on riling him up.

Was nice knowing you all :/

I'd like to say that full blown war isn't going to happen, I didn't think this invasion would happen either.

If total war does kick off, I'm well prepped for it anyway. Got enough food and water in my house to last me a few months, plus other essentials needed just in case the world falls apart.

Chaplain

Good talk from Yuval Harari, historian, on the big picture context.

Timestamps from Harari's talk:

- 2:15 What does Putin think of Ukraine and What Ukraine politically wants
- 7:13 Why Putin has already lost this (Long time) War
- 11:25 Why this War needs to end; Military Budget; And this is much much bigger than another regional conflict;
- 14:40 How Putin united Europe and NATO and how this war can bridge the Left and Right Cultural Divide
- 21:30 On Nuclear Weapons;
- 26:05 Seeds of War; War has its roots in previous conflicts.
- 30:52 A new Kind of War
- 35:20 Did Diplomacy fail us? Why did it?;
- 37:05 Why this war is Different than other wars currently happening in the World?
- 40:00 Possibility and Hope of a Green Manhattan Project
- 42:00 On President Zelensky
- 45:00 Putin's Russia is weaker than the Soviet Union

Fools idol

Banned
I'd like to say that full blown war isn't going to happen, I didn't think this invasion would happen either.

If total war does kick off, I'm well prepped for it anyway. Got enough food and water in my house to last me a few months, plus other essentials needed just in case the world falls apart.

let's be real here - if the bombs don't kill us, the radiation will. I played enough Fallout to know that :cool:

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

it’s not about wanting a war , but about standing up .. have you ever stood up against something on a personal level ? It’s not easy but sometimes it’s needed , most of the time after standing up you get more shit , but the long term is rewarding .. if you want.

Do you think Putin would stop? Hittler , Saddam ?
It’s not even just about standing up but calling Putin’s bluff. It’s the fear of his launching a full on retaliatory world ending nuclear strike over the possibility that NATO may hypothetically shoot down a few military aircraft: that fear empowers Putin. Real simple don’t fly planes into the no fly zone and no one gets hurt. Where does it stop? If we let Putin take Ukraine with very little support what’s to prevent him from taking all the other Warsaw Pact countries and then at the end threaten NATO with a full on nuclear strike if it doesn’t end its sanctions.? What’s to stop him threatening a nuclear strike if the EU and Germany redeploys nuclear plants instead of buying oil from Russia? What’s to stop him from threatening nukes to get whatever he wants?

Last edited:
Top Bottom