• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russians parade in blackface ahead of Cameroon-Germany match

I can't buy the ignorance argument (it wouldn't have really mattered anyway) just based on the fact that they added bananas on top of the blackface. As many times as racist soccer fans have used bananas to specifically insult black players, I refuse to believe its all just an unfortunate coincidence.

For some, it would take a giant sign saying "I'm attempting to insult the black race" before they'd settle on saying that stuff like this wasn't done out of ignorance. Hell, even without the bananas, I'm sick of seeing blackface and racist caricatures of all kinds and listening to people claim it was all done in ignorance. For me, at this point, if you do it: you were trying to be insulting and racist and you'd need to actually work doubly hard to convince me that it was done with complete ignorance. We're in the modern era, these people weren't isolated form the world. They knew how it looked and did it anyway for the fun of it.

Between this thread and the Serbian Volleyball team thread, it's just a winning day for "it's not racists, just culturally different/ignorant".

Which is horseshit, you don't have have to be that malicious to do something that's still racist just because you are ignorant. It's still racist at the end of the day if you do it. That's the whole point.

The US have figured out it was racists decades ago in regards to black face and it's so highly frowned upon, but it seems like some European countries didn't get a chance back then or something? US didn't invent racism, we got our country through the European immigrants here. So this is just like some sort of timed delayed reaction that blackface is racist?

If every time I see you, I gave you the middle finger and explain that "oh this just means *your race* in my culture, it's not offensive!"

How Long would it be till you're understandably upset?

Calcaneus

For some, it would take a giant sign saying "I'm attempting to insult the black race" before they'd settle on saying that stuff like this wasn't done out of ignorance. Hell, even without the bananas, I'm sick of seeing blackface and racist caricatures of all kinds and listening to people claim it was all done in ignorance. For me, at this point, if you do it: you were trying to be insulting and racist and you'd need to actually work doubly hard to convince me that it was done with complete ignorance. We're in the modern era, these people weren't isolated form the world. They knew how it looked and did it anyway for the fun of it.
I agree, and at the very least you see the race you are caricaturing as a joke on some level. I honestly don't see why anyone would use blackface unless they were being racist. Like say it was out of ignorance, what is the use of it? What did painting their face add to whatever they were doing at that parade?

If every time I see you, I gave you the middle finger and explain that "oh this just means *your race* in my culture, it's not offensive!"

How Long would it be till you're understandably upset?

Depends. Am I an outraged westerner, or just a human being from..ummm..earth? There's a distinction, apparently. Also, the internet. Which isn't REAL people..I think? I dunno..just end it all..I'm Half in the Bag!

Fuck movies.

Depends. Am I an outraged westerner, or just a human being from..ummm..earth? There's a distinction, apparently. Also, the internet. Which isn't REAL people..I think? I dunno..just end it all..I'm Half in the Bag!

Fuck movies.

Sorry, this isn't you it's me, but I didn't get any of the references :(

Cairax

Neo Member

Fuck movies.
Very cool. Very cool.

antibolo

Banned
Within the context of football, bananas have an EXTREMELY racist connotation, and the blackface only confirms that this is intentional.

There are legitimate situations where the "cultural differences" reasoning is a valid argument, but this here is very much NOT one of them.

Yeah, coming from north east Europe, everyone is racist, I am fine with that.
Of course people living in different countries will disagree, but for that there is different countries where you can safely be triggered :)

Have a nice day.

Are you the race that everyone is racist against?

this place hasn't been the same without bish & that lawnmower
Nah, fuck that. I know this is kind of just meant part in jest and part because we miss him because he was freakin' rad, but the mods are definitely still doing a terrific job around here about making sure that people who clearly don't belong on the site are shown the door and topics are kept on course. I know that's not what you mean, but stuff like this has popped up a lot, and regardless of how its meant, it really does undermine the hard work the site's staff puts in, completely on their own time and completely for free, and with the greyed-out names and explicit warnings in these theads, they clearly ain't doing nothing, just like how they were putting in work while Bish was active as well. It was never just him.

Like I said, I know posts aren't meant that way, are mostly tongue-in-cheek and because of people wishing he was still active, but regardless of how it's meant, the site hasn't actually gone to hell since he's gone, and the rest of the staff is putting in good work like they were while he was on the staff, so can we not do this? Thanks.

IrishNinja

Like I said, I know posts aren't meant that way, are mostly tongue-in-cheek and because of people wishing he was still active, but regardless of how it's meant, the site hasn't actually gone to hell since he's gone, and the rest of the staff is putting in good work like they were while he was on the staff, so can we not do this? Thanks.

Nah, fuck that.
never said i didn't appreciate the modding - guys like Stumps & others are invaluable - but i don't need to bronwnose to establish that, nor does it take from what i said: there's mods who were great at certain corners, and while many are clearly getting the job done here, the last wave of jr's brought some shit in with it and bish would've made a graveyard of apologists in these threads. there's nothing wrong with pointing that out, feel free to go tell someone else how to post.

ISOM

There goes that black face is only racist because of America excuse. I still see people trying to defend it though but just looking like idiots.

Breads

Banned
Of course people living in different countries will disagree, but for that there is different countries where you can safely be triggered :)

Have a nice day.

So we're just glossing over this one basically saying racism is fine because fuck everyone else?

ISOM

Have a nice day.

You call it being triggered, I call it being a decent human being.

Nepenthe

I mean, at least we got a Gaffer to openly admit they're racist and that they're okay with it.

How often do you see that? Probably deserves a tag or something.

EDIT: 46 posts in nearly 12 years. Whose burner is this?

Chuckie

I take it you're not American. Here's my questing. Please know, zero ill intent. Does the guy in the second picture look like Mr T?

No.

He looks like B.A. BARACUS!!!!

I'm just trying to get you to expand your viewing habits. Can't watch this forever:
One_Night_Stand_02(1997).jpg

God. Ming Na looked so hot in that movie.

test_account

XP-39C²
This isn't racist to 'us'. Playing dress up as a stereotype of another country is racist.

The "mexican" in the back of the parade there? That is also racist.

Having "fun" by making fun of stereotypes of other ethnicity is the definition of racist. The dutch and Australians have been leaning on the "thats racist because America has a race problem" excuse to do racist shit for a while now. It doesn't fly.

It's racist.
Sorry for the bump, but how to you determine the difference between fun and "fun"? I thought of this thread after seeing the new Mario Odyssey game for Nintendo Switch where Mario is dressed up like a stereotypical mexican.

Top Bottom