• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russians parade in blackface ahead of Cameroon-Germany match

Dirca

No you're trying to be clever and subtle with your nonsense.
We are talking about dressing as black people and post a something that is not human. You're not fooling anyone.
Whatever. I'm pointing out the fact that it depends on the context and that not all "blackface" is racist as you said.

White man dressing up (blackface) like Mike Tyson- that's wrong.

White man dressing (applying black make up) as a fictional black skinned race- nothing wrong with that.

Enzom21

��

Seriously though, we were talking about blatant blackface, not talking about cosplayers being dark elves. There's a bit of a difference.

Like dude didn't know what he was doing.
This is also not the first time someone has compared black people to fictional creatures in a blackface thread.
Shit is tired.

Whatever. I'm pointing out the fact that it depends on the context and that not all "blackface" is racist as you said.

White man dressing up (blackface) like Mike Tyson- that's wrong.

White man dressing (applying black make up) as a fictional black skinned race- nothing wrong with that.

I think you mean makeup? I don't consider someone dressed as a dark elf blackface, and wouldn't call it that. Maybe that's the misunderstanding her?

Yes I know. The post I quoted just struck me wrong.

But your example wasn't blackface. Why call it that?

Dirca

Like dude didn't know what he was doing.
This is also not the first time someone has compared black people to fictional creatures in a blackface thread.
Shit is tired.
I was never comparing a real race to a fictional one. Sorry that that's how it was perceived.

I feel like we need a general thread on racism, but I do understand why I would not be a good person to start it. I feel like there's a lot of miscommunication in this thread and I've been guilty of that too. I think both of the views below are valid.

1. There's not much difference between ignorance/racism. Actions can be either racist or not. There's not much in between.

2. There's a (very slim) line between ignorance and racism. Some people could be ignorant, but not outright racist and would change their actions right away once their stupidity is pointed out.

I think most of miscommunication here happens because if someone believe in 2 people automatically assume that this is just used to excuse racism. And I can see this point of view. But I don't think that's the reason to shut down a conversation. I honestly believe that the reason why racism remains such a huge problem is because people don't acknowledge it. And acknowledging racism is not quite the same than just pointing at acts that are racist without any discussion.

The other thread about Serbian volleyball players is a perfect example of this. It's a racist act, but the question should be why not a single person in that picture (even for a second) realized that what they are doing isn't quite right.

Derwind

Everytime some rolls a dark elf in an MMO, its just a cultural misunderstanding.

I feel like we need a general thread on racism, but I do understand why I would not be a good person to start it. I feel like there's a lot of miscommunication in this thread and I've been guilty of that too. I think both of the views below are valid.

1. There's not much difference between ignorance/racism. Actions can be either racist or not. There's not much in between.

2. There's a (very slim) line between ignorance and racism. Some people could be ignorant, but not outright racist and would change their actions right away once their stupidity is pointed out.

I think most of miscommunication here happens because if someone believe in 2 people automatically assume that this is just used to excuse racism. And I can see this point of view. But I don't think that's the reason to shut down a conversation. I honestly believe that the reason why racism remains such a huge problem is because people don't acknowledge it. And acknowledging racism is not quite the same than just pointing at acts that are racist without any discussion.

The other thread about Serbian volleyball players is a perfect example of this. It's a racist act, but the question should be why not a single person in that picture (even for a second) realized that what they are doing isn't quite right.

I dont know if i agree, there is a clear difference in being ignorant of basic historical and social connotations with black face and wearing actual black face.

There is no innocent message someone conveys when they dress up as a crude interpretation of an entire diverse group of people.

Same goes with other displays of racism.

There is no innocent, alternate message there.

L Thammy

I feel like we need a general thread on racism

That's a big topic that comes up in a lot of current events; I don't think it should be contained. Plus, the first thing that I bet will happen is that it'll turn into a white-black dichotomy where people forget that anyone else exists.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Damn, you obsessed..

Just trying to make him feel better because it looked like it struck him pretty hard that he was being accused of equating black people to elves, when he was only answering a question about black make up that was worded in a way that allowed for his example.

Enzom21

You're clearly passionate about this, I apologized for the misunderstanding. I'm ready to drop it.

What was your goal with that picture?
Were all of the pictures I posted unclear?
You should post a picture of Robert Downey Jr from Tropic Thunder next and then the thread will be just like every other blackface thread we've had.

Edit: Never mind.

Man it sure is hard to find racist people. Seems like nothing is ever really racist after all. Just people not know better.

Somebody get that Quantum racism post.

Just trying to make him feel better because it looked like it struck him pretty hard that he was being accused of equating black people to elves, when he was only answering a question about black make up that was worded in a way that allowed for his example.

So, in the SAME thread where you will not to jump to conclusions about blackface and bananas, and don't want to assume to know what's in someone's heart or intent, you know EXACTLY what HE knows?

WURySXZ.gif

Are people not discussing? Are there not links educating? Have you yourself not spoken to your experiences in Russia? Have others not chimed in, as non Americans, to how they find blackface? Even some claiming it ain't "all" bad?

There were a lot of dismissive comments thrown in my direction and "blackface does not mean exactly the same in every culture" is apparently one of the most offensive things you can say on GAF. There's definitely a conversation that we could have that is simply being dismissed because people are busy searching for offensive images on Google.

azyless

Dude it's not even that I particularly disagree with you in a wider context but let's not bring up "ignorance" when these people were literally carrying bananas. What more do they need to do to show you that insulting black people was the intent here ? Monkey chants ?

When it comes to blackface I really do treat it the same as people saying the n-word. Do you do it when there are actual black people around? Do you see it in popular media? No? Question why perhaps. I get some people think the context is different in Europe but whenever I see really stupid insensitive stuff (not just racist) and people say it's not that bad my question is always "okay well would you do and or say that in the presense of a person on that group?"

If any part of you is cautious maybe like, you know there is an issue? It's just weird.

At some point a light maybe comes on that some of y'all are caping for people in blackface.

Just step back and think about that for a second.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
So, in the SAME thread where you will not to jump to conclusions about blackface and bananas, and don't want to assume to know what's in someone's heart or intent, you know EXACTLY what HE knows?

WURySXZ.gif

Oh damn. I see what you mean, do you think he's racist?

I feel like we need a general thread on racism....

We dont. The contrarians in here know exactly what theyre doing. They think this shit is a game, pretending like we dont know Russia has a massive fucking neo-Nazi, White supremacy problem that the Russian goverment actively nurtures and cultivates. Like we dont know about African immigrants in Russia getting attacked by mobs of skinheads.

Dude it's not even that I particularly disagree with you in a wider context but let's not bring up "ignorance" when these people were literally carrying bananas. What more do they need to do to show you that insulting black people was the intent here ? Monkey chants ?

you keep forgetting that I'm not using that as an excuse for their actions.

I dunno what this back and forth with Ray Wonder is about. Whatever happened in the N word thread is irrelevant here. Can we fucking move on from that?

Derwind

If I'm going to be defined by the colour of my skin, the kink in my hair and a fucking fruit.

Don't be suprised if I dont believe your "cultural misunderstanding" shtick.

We dont. The contrarians in here know exactly what theyre doing. They think this shit is a game, pretending like we dont know Russia has a massive fucking neo-Nazi, White supremacy problem that the Russian goverment actively nurtures and cultivates. Like we dont know about African immigrants in Russia getting attacked by mobs of skinheads.

Yes, that's definitely true of Russian government. I think that's when ignorance gets dangerous when the government is using it to control the population. That's actually why I think that conversation about what is "more" racist (sombrero vs blackface) and what is the difference between ignorance and racism are worth having. It gets to the truth closer than outright dismissing these people and allowing Russian government to be the only source of information they will ever get.

sibarraz

Banned
Question from the outside, if someone wants to portray/cosplay a fictional black character, and uses a black face, it is considered racist?

I always wanted to know how sensitive is doing this in the usa, considering the historical background and context of white people doing black faces, it is clear to me why it is considered a terrible thing to do, but I always wondered if the problem is when you doing with the bad intention of imitating and mocking black people, or just painting your face is already enough

Then why do you keep bringing it up in a thread about people wearing blackface and carrying bananas ?

I keep seeing this argument going in circles. I believe that there's a valid discussion that we could have. I really doubt that anyone in this thread actually gives a shit about few idiots in Russia. This is a broader conversation.

Enzom21

Question from the outside, if someone wants to portray/cosplay a fictional black character, and uses a black face, it is considered racist?

I always wanted to know how sensitive is doing this in the usa, considering the historical background and context of white people doing black faces, it is clear to me why it is considered a terrible thing to do, but I always wondered if the problem is when you doing with the bad intention of imitating and mocking black people, or just painting your face is already enough

Absolutely!
Michonne cosplay:
I'll let you decide which of these is racist.

I tried...i really tried to read this thread with a neutral tone to what knew was coming but every god damn black face thread leaves me fuming with the ignorant posters caping for racism. See you all in the annual Halloween and zwarte post thread!!!

Blackface is blackface. Plain and simple. If you paint your face to look black, fictional character or not.
And I dont think it's a USA thing only at all.

Shy

Black face is unacceptable. Regardless of where you're from. So don't try that, "only Americans get offended by it, it's part of our culture" shit.

Yes, don't do it.

There were a lot of dismissive comments thrown in my direction and "blackface does not mean exactly the same in every culture" is apparently one of the most offensive things you can say on GAF. There's definitely a conversation that we could have that is simply being dismissed because people are busy searching for offensive images on Google.

Lemme first dismiss this. Not GAF..life.

Do you have any idea how much I've heard this? How much many posters here have heard this? In my face? Told it means nothing, but treated differently by those who claim it? Best part of growing up surrounded by different cultures? You learn a lot. Customs, recipes, games..the works. You know what sucks about it? Finding out that being black/mulatto means you have "traits" that you can't help.

A discussion of culture can always be had. The dismissal of wrong is the problem. Now, I understand. You grow up a certain way..perhaps don't see the wrong in things..that doesn't make it ok. It doesn't remove hate. It'll never erase the treatment of "the other" in any society..I'm assuming you'd agree here, although I know I shouldn't.

Truth is, the garbage term political correctness is the equivalent of "I'm being told not to do a thing" which boils down to "No" and as I ASSUME some of you are parents, you've experienced a child's reaction to that no word..tantrums. I expect it from infants..not grown men and women.

Racism wasn't born in America, and certainly won't die here. But almost all countries have that one thing in common. If you feeling lies than a human being goes against our beloved tradition? Fuck you, get over it. That's bullshit..from today until our great grandchildren. That's not how the world should work. Again, I'd assume you agree.

The age of technology and we act like Neanderthals..

Derwind

Is the reason you want to play the character because he/she is black?

I think you have your answer.

Top Bottom